The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"An error occurred...." on Character load Request

Scorpionwind
Scorpionwind
✭✭
I thought I would share this as I had this problem for 3 weeks and ZoS support has not been helpful.

Do NOT do the below :
-delete add-ons
- open ports
- re-install / re-download

(those are ZoS Support responses and do not help)

The solution :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9GBjtafTuE

From reddit :

"nz_sekta
·
You may have a messed up shader cache file or no cache at all. Delete shadercache.cooked in your ESO documents folder and edit UserSettings.txt and make sure you have this line: SET CachedRLREnabled "1". Log in, should take a while as it builds the cache. After that it should be fast every time."

@ZOS_BillE

Please sticky this.
  • Bw04h
    Bw04h
    Tried this, still doesn't work :(
  • Scorpionwind
    Scorpionwind
    ✭✭
    Please post if you are also experiencing this issue....maybe with enough voices in one place, ZOS might actually attempt a solution.
  • Morgis
    Morgis
    ✭✭
    Having same issue. They fixed the EU because it was primetime for them and alot of people were complaining. We have a few hours still before prime time so guess we wont get fixed for awhile if not tomorrow.
  • mpicklesster
    mpicklesster
    ✭✭✭
    PC NA user here. TL; DR version: I can't log-in today and I'm getting multiple error messages. Also--today's problems for me were preceded by a series of log-in issues and long loading screens that began when the Elsweyr event launched last week. This week's maintenance just made the game completely inaccessible to me.

Full Version: When I try to log in, I often get the same error message as the OP. However, I also keep getting a rotating cast of error messages each time I try to log in. I get the "An error has occurred. Please try again later" message, as well as Error 301 and Error 200 messages.

I tried various solutions--all to no avail. I've tried updating my add-ons, disabling my add-ons, and flushing my DNS cache. Nothing works. On the off chance that I actually make it past the log-in screen and into the character select screen, I often encounter infinite loading screens after I select a character. Then I have to force quit the game and restart again.

It's also worth noting that my log-in issues today have been preceded by a series of loading screen and log-in issues that began with the start of Elsweyr event last week. Ever since then, I've been encountering long or infinite loading screens regardless of where I'm at. I get these problems in major hubs like Vivec or Mournhold, or even if I'm just entering or leaving a delve in low-population zones like Shadowfen...or my own player house!
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    With so many of us encountering the EXACT same problem, I think we can say with some confidence that it's not on our end.
  • Scorpionwind
    Scorpionwind
    ✭✭
    I am in and stable (for now) using WTFast...

Early stages, but cautiously excited
  • Feannag
    Feannag
    ✭✭
    Good luck...still having issues. PC NA
    Feannag
  • HonoriAmma
    HonoriAmma
    ✭✭
    same issue. non steam. finally got to log in after two tickets submitted via website. Charc load has been rolling for 2 hours now.
  • HonoriAmma
    HonoriAmma
    ✭✭
    ·
    You may have a messed up shader cache file or no cache at all. Delete shadercache.cooked in your ESO documents folder and edit UserSettings.txt and make sure you have this line: SET CachedRLREnabled "1". Log in, should take a while as it builds the cache. After that it should be fast every time."

@ZOS_BillE

Please sticky this.[/quote]

This did it! YAY! Thank you! <3
  • Scorpionwind
    Scorpionwind
    ✭✭
    @HonoriAmma so glad this worked for you. It worked for a while with me, but I then it did not. Seems the. Txt file resets itself.

If it does come back, get wtfast - been working so far for me