Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Non meta build help (warden and magblade)

JulLeBarge
Hi all !

I'm coming back to the game, got Elsweyr to try the necro, and now I sit at my login screen, looking at my characters and wondering what to do with them (I have 8 characters right now).

My main is a magsorc/petsorc and it's OK, I don't want to change it. I also have a magplar healer and stamDK tank that are fine in their roles. My stamsorc is build for PvP and need some rework but I'm not playing PvP a lot so it could wait. All others chars are for PvE only.

My warden started as a tank and now is spec as a stamDPS, with Relequen/Briarheart/Stormfist. Classic build from Alcast. It works, it's fun, but now I'm leveling a stamcro and when I look at the builds, they are the same as my warden. Appart from some class skills, the sets and others skills are the same.

Same thing with my magblade in regards to my magsorc: same skills, same sets.

I'm not an endgame guy that love to do trials score runes. I mostly play solo overland content, normal dungeons and sometimes vet dungeons or normal trials (when I need a specific set). I play all the harder content with my magsorc because it's the char I'm the most confident with.

I'd like to try new non meta builds for my stamden and magblade.

For the stamden, I was thinking about trying a Bow/Bow build as it could be fun and different to play. But perhaps the necro would be better suited as a bow only character ? From what I've read, they are both good enough for that. Which one would be the most fun to play ?

For my magblade, I'd like to make and hybrid healing/DPS build for PvE: it was a thing a year ago, does it still works ? What sets should I have for such a build ?

Another non meta build I'd like to try is magden frost mage: I plan to level a new char for that one soon, just for fun.

Any others suggestions ? Thanks ;)

Best Answer

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you’re just derping around, pretty much any 5-5-2 combo will work, @JulLeBarge.

My Stamplar, whom just does overland content also, wears Essence Thief, Morkuldin, and Sellistrix. I run bow/dual wield ... but it will work with bow/bow. ;)

0RilGK2.png

I have two Warden Ice Mages. One is more of an off-tank focused on PvP support - Winterborn, Bahraha’s Curse (heavy), and Bloodspawn.

Cz7JXCe.png

The other Ice Mage is more damage-focused: Spell Strat, Acuity, favorite monster set.

zG2fk71.png
    Edited by Taleof2Cities on September 12, 2019 2:38PM
    Answer ✓
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you’re just derping around, pretty much any 5-5-2 combo will work, @JulLeBarge.

My Stamplar, whom just does overland content also, wears Essence Thief, Morkuldin, and Sellistrix. I run bow/dual wield ... but it will work with bow/bow. ;)

0RilGK2.png

I have two Warden Ice Mages. One is more of an off-tank focused on PvP support - Winterborn, Bahraha’s Curse (heavy), and Bloodspawn.

Cz7JXCe.png

The other Ice Mage is more damage-focused: Spell Strat, Acuity, favorite monster set.

zG2fk71.png

How have you changed the colour of the main segments of armour on that final picture?

As far as I can tell, it stays yellow and cannot be changed? Have I missed something?

• azjuwelz
    azjuwelz
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can change colors using dyes at an Outfit station. You earn different color dyes with various achievements.

I know what you mean about all the stam builds looking pretty much the same. My advice is to just start trying some different skills and see how they work for you.

For example, I've never liked Barbed Trap because I'm ADD and it's too damned hard to remember to trigger it a 2nd time, beyond trying to throw it in the right place to begin with. I've found that the Bombard skill in the Bow line is racking me up huge numbers in dungeons and trials with the added bonus of immobilizing the enemies. (Which helps the other damage dealers drop their AoEs on the critters). This is on my stamblade, but it should work the same for any stamina character. The crit bonus on Khajit work nicely with bow skills, btw.

So I'd say try some different skills just for fun. If you're not trying to complete vet materials, I'm sure you'll do fine either way.
    Xbox-NA
    Guildmaster of Nightmothers Deadly Deals

PVE/PVP Stamblade: Ylandra Silverthorn
    PVE Magwarden healer: Raw'zl Dah Zel
    PVE DK Tank: Greta Feuerwerk
    PVP StamDK: Helga Feuerwerk
    PVP Necro Healer: Dratha Helbain
    PVE Magcro: Dorian Fey
    PVE Magblade: Arivssa Thaoral
    PVE Magsorc: Eldara Birchwood
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    azjuwelz wrote: »
    You can change colors using dyes at an Outfit station. You earn different color dyes with various achievements.

I know what you mean about all the stam builds looking pretty much the same. My advice is to just start trying some different skills and see how they work for you.

For example, I've never liked Barbed Trap because I'm ADD and it's too damned hard to remember to trigger it a 2nd time, beyond trying to throw it in the right place to begin with. I've found that the Bombard skill in the Bow line is racking me up huge numbers in dungeons and trials with the added bonus of immobilizing the enemies. (Which helps the other damage dealers drop their AoEs on the critters). This is on my stamblade, but it should work the same for any stamina character. The crit bonus on Khajit work nicely with bow skills, btw.

So I'd say try some different skills just for fun. If you're not trying to complete vet materials, I'm sure you'll do fine either way.

I have never bothered with dyes, is this what they are for then? It enables the dying of an armour piece segment that is usually blocked from colouring?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The magblade damage/healing dual-role skills have been terribly nerfed. Of the six classes, it's one of my two least favorite to heal on, and it's the one I've accomplished the least on healing.

As for warden vs. necro -- well, they're similar. I like Shalks better than I do Blastbones, and I like the Netch better than whatever passes for sustain on necros, so I like warden better than necro. That's on the magicka side, however. Also, some of the necro advantages over warden are inherently close-ranged, like Scythe.
  • azjuwelz
    azjuwelz
    ✭✭✭✭

I have never bothered with dyes, is this what they are for then? It enables the dying of an armour piece segment that is usually blocked from colouring?

Yes--you go to the Outfit Station and then over to the Dyes tab. There are 3 parts to each armor piece that can be dyed different colors. I'm on console so it's too much of a pain to post my toon pictures, but for my Khajit magwarden healer, she's in soft pastels (she's a snow leopard), and on my Bosmer stamblade she's in metallic red and gold to go along with her red hair.

It took me a bit to figure out how to apply and remove dyes, so I'd say just play with it.

Xbox-NA

• Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes--you go to the Outfit Station and then over to the Dyes tab. There are 3 parts to each armor piece that can be dyed different colors. I'm on console so it's too much of a pain to post my toon pictures, but for my Khajit magwarden healer, she's in soft pastels (she's a snow leopard), and on my Bosmer stamblade she's in metallic red and gold to go along with her red hair.

It took me a bit to figure out how to apply and remove dyes, so I'd say just play with it.

Thanks!

I did have a little look recently following this thread, but I could not figure it out. I will have another play around because there are several sets with set colours that I have always wanted to use in one build or another, but not been able to due to the colour restrictions.

I wonder, is it individual colours that can be used to dye each armour section... or does it have to be one those 3 colour set dye packs that we get sometimes (or can be purchased from Crown store).
  • azjuwelz
    azjuwelz
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's individual colors--and you earn dyes with certain achievements. As you said, you can also purchase dye packs from the Crown store if you don't want to go after the necessary achievements.

One thing that originally threw me is that to remove a dye color you have to tab across options ABOVE all the dye colors.
    Xbox-NA

• Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's individual colors--and you earn dyes with certain achievements. As you said, you can also purchase dye packs from the Crown store if you don't want to go after the necessary achievements.

One thing that originally threw me is that to remove a dye color you have to tab across options ABOVE all the dye colors.

Try as I may, I cannot understand how to do this. I am still unable to dye the base colours of these types of armour. The dye tab only seems to allow the dying of the same sections of armour that can be changed as normal.

I see the (usually) 3 segments that can be changed colour for each item, which generally does not include the fixed colours of the armour that we are talking about...

I must be missing something :(