The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

New Skill Line - Quarterstaff

Malcations
Malcations
Soul Shriven

Quarterstaff - Melee - Healer/dps/tank - Stamina Only! 22 point tree!

Introduction -

I have loved Friar type characters in Video games and DnD nights for a long long time. Swinging around a large Quarterstaff to concuss the enemy or assist allies with healing spells has always drawn me towards playing them when i can.

I have designed the Quarterstaff to follow some of the rules of the Friar from other games while still allowing it to maintain its identity as a Destructive tool as well as a new Tanking style concept that i think would bring dynamic gameplay to 3 of the 4 roles (sorry ranged).

The first thing you will notice on the list below is the insane Stamina costs of some of the skills. While these are not final they are 100% intended. The second thing you might notice is the unique #4 Passive which is how the Quarterstaff allows Healer or dps or tank roles. I will cover more in a little bit regarding the Roles and its passive, as well as why i choose them in that position and stat increase they provide.

One last thing, I am aware that the game is over run with Stamina builds in pvp and i will be personally looking at Magicka builds and skill lines in the future to try to counteract this. BUT this is not about those builds.

For now Enjoy the skills and even if you don’t make it to the bottom of the post 100% let me know what you would change or if it is just bad or if you like it.

Ultimate:

Guard:(150 Ultimate cost) Absorbs Physical damage used against the player for 5 seconds.

- Magicka Guard: (150 Ultimate cost) Absorbs magicka cast at the player instead for 5 seconds.

- Interception: (300 Ultimate cost)(10 Meter) No longer absorbs all physical damage, instead Absorbs up to 50% of nearby damage dealt to friendly players for 5 seconds. If this total is more than double your max health, it will fail.

Active Abilities:

Back Hand: (3700 Stamina)(5 Meter) Strikes the target once.

- Figure Eight: (6000 Stamina) Strikes the opponent twice. The second strike also hits nearby enemies for half the damage but this damage can not heal.

- Fore Hand: (3700 Stamina) Applies minor endurance to nearby players for 17 seconds. This ability can no longer heal friendly players or benefit from any passives.

Sweeping Strike:(3700 Stamina)(5 Meter) Attacks all targets in front of you.

- Wild Swing: (3100 Stamina)(8 Meter) Strikes all targets around you and sets them off balance.

- Wild Strike: (5000 Stamina) Applies Major Fracture to the target for 15seconds but only hits one target. This ability can no longer heal friendly players or benefit from any passives.

Provoke:(1148 Stamina)(12 Meter)Taunts an enemy for 15seconds to attack you.

- Intimidate:(1148 Stamina)(28 Meter) Ranged Taunt

- Duel:(1148 Stamina) (Passive) if only one enemy is attacking you gain 10% Weapon damage.

Evade:(3672 Stamina) Increases Evasion chance by 15%. The player can no longer benefit from non Quarterstaff Evasion Effects while this is active. 5 second Duration

- Shrug it off:(3672 Stamina) While active the player blocks all Heavy attacks. The player can no longer benefit from non Quarterstaff Evasion effects while this is active.

- Brush it off:(3672 Stamina) While active the player blocks all Light attacks. The player can no longer benefit from non Quarterstaff Evasion effects while this is active.

Power Strike:(4500 Stamina)(5 Meter) You leap towards an enemy, dealing a powerful strike and healing nearby players for 80% of its damage.

- Skull Crack:(4500 Stamina) Lowers the Quarterstaff at full speed onto the targets head, Stunning them for 2seconds.

- Rushed Assault:(9000 Stamina)(8 Meter) Ignores resistances, but can no longer heal friendly players or benefit from any passives.

Passives

1. (2 points) Each time a target takes Physical damage while a Quarterstaff is equipped, Heal 1/2 nearby friendly players for 20%/45% of the damage done.

2. (2 points) Stamina Cost reduction: Gain 10%/20% Stamina reduction for Quarterstaff Abilities.

3. (3 points) Every time a target Dies restore 5%/10%/15%Magicka and 2%/5%/10% stamina to 2/4/6 nearby targets

4. Specialized: While you have a Quarterstaff Equipped. (1 point)

Heavy Armor: If you have 3 pieces of Heavy armor equipped you take 6% more healing and take 4% less Damage, but can no longer heal with Quarterstaff abilities.

Medium Armor: If you have 3 pieces of Medium Armor equipped increase Healing done and Evasion rating by 15%

Light Armor: If you have 3 pieces of Light Armor equipped gain Melee Critical Strike rating by 984 and gain an Absorb Shield every 20seconds for 20% of your health.

5. (2 points) For every target hit or healed from a Quarterstaff ability in the past 2/3 seconds gain 1% damage increase. This ability does not refresh.

Specialized Passive and what it does for Roles.

The Specialized Passive is designed to encourage choice. To obtain any of these bonuses you MUST have 3 pieces of the armor type to obtain that bonus. This way you can only ever have 2 of the bonuses with 1 of the 3rd set you don’t have equipped to make out the undaunted. This means that you will never be able to have 3 heavy and 3 medium as well as 5 set medium bonus passives and so on. You can however still have your 3 Medium, 3 Heavy, 1 Light for that juicy Undaunted Passive.

TankSpecialized provides tanks with 6% incoming healing bonus (Heavy 5 set is 8%) and 4% damage reduction. The added effect stops you being able to heal while you are tanking. This means you should probably be looking at those high Stamina cost abilities to deal that damage or apply those debuffs.

DPSSpecialized provides Dps with that unique 15% damage increase just from a skill tree. It also means that they will need to be looking at one of the other armor types to get that Weapon Crit buff and shield or increase their incoming healing and reduce damage incoming. Choices are a plenty

HealingSpecialized Provides the melee healing concept a solid critical strike chance, a safety shield as well as an option to go into Medium to increase healing and damage which also increases healing. Or go into Heavy to get that Damage reduction and increased incoming healing for PvP.

Required Game changes. Evasion needs to be an evade and not the damage reduction for area of effect it is atm. Evade should be exclusive to Medium Ultimate and Quarterstaff (MAYBE NIGHTBLADE, would need to look at the trees a little bit to see how high the Evade % could actually get to).

The one thing that i feel will save DPS Quarterstaff builds is the high cost of the abilities. Yes they do an immense amount of damage with things like Rushed Assault. The drawback is the insane Stamina cost that slows down your combat a fair bit. Some classes might excel at this tho. See below for an example.

I have gone through all the classes in the game and majority of the races (all the stamina ones at least) and matched them up to see some pretty insane combos.

Redguard -
Warden
Quarterstaff + Stamina Bear Ult
Wild Swing into Rushed assault while Stamina betty and Falcons swiftness (acceleration if you prefer) is going to be a heavy hitting combo that's for sure.

Might need to look at it a little bit..

Below is a couple sets that could be changed as well as a few new ones specific for Quarterstaff.

Maelstrom Arena Weapon: Guard will always block Physical damage on you.

New set:

Friars Folly

(2 items) 1032 Max Stamina

(3 items) 124 Weapon Damage

(4 items) 1032 Max Stamina

(5 items) Adds 300 Weapon damage to your Quarterstaff abilities.

Downfall of the Delver

(2 items) 1032 Max Health

(3 items) 1032 Max Stamina

(4 items) 4% Healing done

(5 items) Grants you the Duel Passive at all times.

Crafty Khajit

(2 items) Adds 1096 Max Stamina

(3 items) Adds 1096 Max Stamina

(4 items) Adds 1096 Max Stamina

(5 items) While you have a Pet active increase your Stamina by 3150.

Necropotence for Stamina.

Also probably be best to have a Physical Penetration set here aswell.

Set changes that would be good for Quarterstaff:

Sanctuary (Update)

(2 items) Adds 1206 Max Health

(3 items) Adds 4% Healing Taken

(4 items) Adds 1032 Max Magicka and Stamina.

(5 items) Increases your healing received by 12% for you and up to 11 group members within 10 meters of you.

Reasoning – Gives a solid ground for lower level gear to be applied to starting out characters. This can be applied to almost ALL of the healing sets. Just throw in a little stam with the Magicka and watch the healing fly.

Galerion's Revenge (Rework)

(2 items) Adds 1032 Max Stamina

(3 items) Adds 129 Stamina Recovery

(4 items) Adds 129 Weapon Damage

(5 items) When you deal damage with a Light of Heavy Attack, you put a Mark of Revenge on the enemy for 15 seconds. This Effect stacks. After 15 seconds the mark of Revenge detonates on an enemy for 2350 Physical Damage per stack.

Reasoning - DPS point of view, Quarterstaff is expensive to dps in. you will be auto attacking alot, this set could provide filler to allow you to deal some extra damage on the side while trying to get that Precious stamina back up for more Assault spamming.

Healing point of view, This would just be a fun little addition to the healing you provide simply because dealing Physical damage in passive #1 grants healing, so a mini heal nuke basically.

Leviathan (Rework)

(3 items) Adds 1240 Weapon Critical

(4 items) Adds 1240 Weapon Critical

(5 items) Your Ultimate ability now costs Half

Reasoning - Leviathan offers ALOT of Weapon Crit but is appreciated to the point where it’s only used in beginner builds. SOME end game builds use it but it’s just Crit stacking. This set being medium and Weapon Critical /stam aswell as halfing your Ultimate Cost for abilities would provide alot more Damage for all of the Stam Dps builds. (could also be OP, would have to look but the 5set probably)

For healers this would provide not only more healing cooldowns but maybe those precious Interceptions from tanks and healers in raid that basically block half of the massive raid mechanic damage. Think of those Vet Mechanics you could put in because of it if you had that ability in game!

Ranger's Gait (Rework)

(2 items) Adds 129 Stamina Recovery

(3 items) Adds 1096 Max Stamina

(5 items) Adds 129 Stamina Recovery

(5 items) Adds 500 Weapon Damage to Power Strike.

Reasoning - DPS. Rushed Assault has a high cost high reward playstyle. The ability its self is not intended to be spammed but to be used as a means of finishing the enemy off in a desperate "im going to use an extremely large chunk of my resource to end you" sorta scenario. The stamina recovery from Vampire/Werewolf aswell as the base class/race combination (redguards are looking fantastic in this) basically means you are going to be regenning like crazy so it sort of balances out. The number is not final for the Stamina cost on the ability but it should be really high based on what the Stamina recovery can be in the best cast scenario.

Senche's Bite (Rework)

(3 items) Adds 833 Weapon Critical

(5 items) When you use Roll Dodge, your next Back hand will strike the target twice.

Reasoning - Healing. Healers will always need some love. By giving the roll dodge option it gives a higher level of game play. By roll dodging your next Figure Eight could hit 4 times, aswell as 2 of those are free aoe damage. HEAVY HEALS!

Witchman Armor (Rework)

(2 items) Adds 1206 Max Health

(3 items) Adds 5% Evasion

(4 items) Adds 1206 Max Health

(5 items) Adds 5500 Max Health while you have only 3 pieces of Heavy Armor Equipped.

Reasoning - Quarterstaff is basically an evasion tank. it is going to take damage and plans to take damage but Evasion is its main source of Damage mitigation. The 5 set bonus would be almost unique to Quarterstaff tanking simply because their Specialized Passive Encourages 3 Heavy 3 Medium, or 3 Heavy 3 Light, or 3 medium 3 light.

Let me know what you guys think and if there are any changes you would rather see.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You took along time to write about something that will never happen. Nice fanfic though.
  • sly007
    sly007
    ✭✭✭✭
    If only you followed the blueprint of current weapon lines. This contains too many new ideas and changes that need to be defended.
  • Malcations
    Malcations
    Soul Shriven
    sly007 wrote: »
    If only you followed the blueprint of current weapon lines. This contains too many new ideas and changes that need to be defended.

the blueprint for current weapon lines doesn't fit the class fantasy of those classes if you look at them. being duel wield running into battle to spam a dance move from the 80s that madonna did isnt really duel weild impressive. yes i am talking about whirlwind. Since we have a new Development team going through and changing all the classes for what seems like class fantasy based improvements we don't need to stop at the class and can start expanding into the skill lines.

You say i didn't follow the blueprint for current weapon lines but all you need to look at is those lines themself. Half of the skills are never even taken except to get more experience in the line to get to the powerful one. Lets take Destruction staff as an example; when was the last time you used weakness of elements in 1 build while using impulse in that same build.

After class development and changes the only thing that could actually improve the game is where do the Weapon/Armor/World/Guild skill lines fall into place in the new world. Fantasy is a way to develop and improve classes. Hence Necromancer fitting a specific Theme in fantasy with dead bodies and such.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it’s nice to dream but even if they ever add a new weapon it won’t be this. The one hand and rune has been around for a long time and I think if they do add something it will be that or a 2H Crit weapon. But my guess is another weapon line that leans towards Magicka. Also some of these sets and ideas are just way OP. Off balance to everyone around you is crazy strong. 2x max Stam and 424 flat weapon damage is a very very strong damage set. I’d pick that up in a second. It would be the BiS damage set in the game for stam.
  • Ksariyu
    Ksariyu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only commenting on the weapon part because honestly I didn't bother reading the sets part afterwards.

It makes no sense. Conceptually I like the idea of a battlestaff weapon line, but all of these abilities just seem like you pulled them out of the air and put ESO tags on them. Overall, I'd say it's a poorly thought out idea at best.
    Edited by Ksariyu on September 29, 2019 8:45PM
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this! They really need do bring some new weapon lines to the game, mix things up a bit.
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very well done for putting time and effort into thinking about improvements and additions to the game.

Personally I do not think ESO needs a new Stamina skill line, until it introduces another Magica Skill line first.

Stamina = 2 handed, duel wield, 1 hand+shield and bows. With the first 3 lines, you can choose from swords, axes, maces, daggers. There are also the fighters guild and undaunted skill lines which are predominantly stamina.

Now lets look at Magica = Destruction staff. The end. Thats it.

As with stamina there are a couple of other skill lines - Psijic and Mages guild, however both are difficult and time consuming for most to level, particularly new players.

The difference in variety between stamina and magica is stark. Magica requires a new weapon skill line before anything else is implemented. I have suggested a number of times that this should take the form of Lore books/Scrolls/Runes, these would form the basis of the "weapon types" for use within the skill line. So a range of lore books, scrolls and runes that can be held in one hand and provide visual variety and customisation. The 2nd hand would visually, do the casting. The lore books, scrolls, runes can be split to do different types of damage - fire, shock, frost, and/or have different status effects, like sword, axe, dagger, maces.

The use of lore books, scrolls and runes in fantasy magic is well established and well known. ESO is missing a trick.

One day I may flesh out this idea. That day is not today... or is it...
    Edited by Grianasteri on October 1, 2019 10:44AM