The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Resource gain and light attack damage linked to weapon type needs to be addressed

Daddysadface
Daddysadface
✭✭✭
Trying to rack my mind on how I could play a Mblade again with Melee weapons (kinda hybrid in look but taking advantage of resource type for added "Power Fantasy" or immersion). I once again took note not only of the 1k light attacks with melee equipped vs 10k Light attacks with a stave, but also doing a Heavy Attack only gave me a resource gain of Stamina. Most people will say of course because Melee weapons are used by "Stamina Based Classes" and they will then throw in an insult following, due to ignorance of what a Mblade started out as. An Assassin that uses Blood Magic at Medium range, but able to apply pressure at melee range, while having a shadow image allowing it to either Maim or Teleport away back into the shadows to either escape the encounter, or again reengage at a more opportune time. In it's early form, it was the class of shadows and trickery. Back to the problem. Play as you want. Although this term seems general and broad, it's limitations are met very quickly by Damage of Light attacks and Heavy attacks, and also resource regeneration linked to weapon type instead of Maximum resource pool, or having standardized light attack damage based on Weapon level and grade. From my perspective, a Heavy attack if linked to "resource return" should give a return to both resource pools, even if it must be a lower total return. This will again promote heavy attacks being used when the player takes note of their opponent being off balanced. Light attacks and heavy attacks should have a standard damage value, again based on Weapon Level and grade. This will ensure proper and not over inflated damage per light or heavy attack as scaled by weapon level, grade and allotted CP into the corresponding tree for that weapon. Allowing diversity of builds and a greater feel of "Play as you want", and "Power Fantasy".
Edited by Daddysadface on September 30, 2019 10:09PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think they tied the power fantasy of melee + nightblade into the skill animation. When you use certain skills in your nightblade line, even if they are Magicka based, you are using a blade or bow.
    Which of course then looks weird because all this time you've been zapping them with a staff.
    Unless ZOS envisioned nightblades to be hybrids (and really, aren't they hybrids?) -- except mathematically, hybrids don't usually work well and dual resource management can be bothersome (so we're again back to the tension between math and character concept). Or they could be thinking melee with weapon primary, and occasional magicka use through skills.

Another option is to drink magicka potions. But that could interfere with how you envisioned your character though. And of course that won't help damage output if you still didn't allocate points to Magicka.

P.S. Could you use paragraphing. Hard to read big blocks yo.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on September 30, 2019 7:30PM