Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returned from a hiatus why so many templars now?

Dr_Ganknstein
Dr_Ganknstein
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, I've been gone a few months and I have noticed a ton of templars in cyrodiil and the BGs. Is it just a coincidence or did they make them easy mode?
Edited by Dr_Ganknstein on September 30, 2019 12:01AM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are more than easy mode. Magplars are now no-brainer class.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dot amped -> extended rituals five purges worth more.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magplar is top dawg by FAR in a dot meta with easy purge.

• Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    two words JABS SPEARS
  • Cerotonin
    Cerotonin
    ✭✭✭
    They’re such an easy class to play. It’s really no challenge to play one.
  • Brander12
    Brander12
    ✭✭
    Because it's overpowered.
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theyre just too good not to play. Dots are meta, purge has never been more needed, it can tank in its rune, heal when it needs to and has amazing burst and constant damage. Good thing about templar being super meta is there are a LOT of bad templars and they die pretty quickly. Roll a templar and enjoy it while it last.

Edit: Just noticed they have my stream pop up now instead of just a link...thats pretty *** cool :*
    Edited by NinchiTV on September 30, 2019 9:50AM
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Devs implemented dots that overperform and Temlar has the best purge. People adapted to fecalious meta. And nerflings who were mentally incapable of doing the same with other classes, started whining for nerfs... as allways.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the guys in the combat team apereantly mains templars
    Edited by Zer0_CooL on September 30, 2019 9:53AM
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because of purge in a DoT META.
  • Reaper_00
    Reaper_00
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has mained a magplar everyday for the last two years in PVP, I’m curious why just being a able to purge DOTs makes us OP? Templars have always been able to do that. Someone mentioned jabs and spears, and again that isn’t new. We’ve always had that. If someone is dumb enough to stand in front of a Templar and then try to spam a bunch of skills with cast times (dizzying swing for example) without any sort of defence of their own then they really deserve to die anyway. Again that isn’t new. I’ve been killing people like that for two years now.

If Templar’s only reason for being OP is being able to cleanse DOTs maybe try something other than spamming them with DOTs and expecting them to die. That’s how it used to work before.

To the OP, the reason there are so many Templars around is because someone has decided that DOTs are now meta and everyone rebuilt for DOTs being meta while forgetting Templars have always been a counter for DOTs but as they don’t want to change their builds, Templar is the new OP class by default.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reaper_00 wrote: »
    As someone who has mained a magplar everyday for the last two years in PVP, I’m curious why just being a able to purge DOTs makes us OP? Templars have always been able to do that. Someone mentioned jabs and spears, and again that isn’t new. We’ve always had that. If someone is dumb enough to stand in front of a Templar and then try to spam a bunch of skills with cast times (dizzying swing for example) without any sort of defence of their own then they really deserve to die anyway. Again that isn’t new. I’ve been killing people like that for two years now.

If Templar’s only reason for being OP is being able to cleanse DOTs maybe try something other than spamming them with DOTs and expecting them to die. That’s how it used to work before.

To the OP, the reason there are so many Templars around is because someone has decided that DOTs are now meta and everyone rebuilt for DOTs being meta while forgetting Templars have always been a counter for DOTs but as they don’t want to change their builds, Templar is the new OP class by default.

It actually doesn't and you're bang on - People are putting dots on templars and wondering why they don't die, well.. we never did die to the dots.

It's easy to claim Templar is OP because you built in such a way that we can negate almost all of your damage, but when that's said, it's hard to wonder why Templars haven't been 'OP' since day 1 because the cleanse hasn't changed, except to be nerfed considerably.

When you see people duelling, whispering you or whatever and saying things like "Templar meta" "fotm" "bot" "templar ez", ask them why - None of them actually know why and will just spout garbage they heard from someone else who also said it without any actual knowledge.

If you see the same guys on their actual 'fotm' Templars, they get rolled because it's not as easy as they heard.

Noobs and strong players alike have always been able to stack groups of Templars and sweep themselves silly whilst cleansing themselves and they've always been able to hold block, cast heals and mistform away when they're scared.
    They'll be able to do it all next patch too, but because people won't gravitate towards dots, all the people complaining about us now won't even remember Templar is a class, despite still being able to do the exact same things.

The sheep mentality is why there's so many Templars now and also why there's not many good ones at all, which is amazing considering how "easy" it is. Most these players came from 3 button stam warden builds and so on so that pretty much explains the lack of decent magplars.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that is pretty interesting. Templars are easy yet so many are awful at it. Just look for javelin and RD spam from range. That's your freebie
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing a High Elf Templar since I started this game and I'll still be playing it after the meta chasers move on to the next big thing.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Yeah that is pretty interesting. Templars are easy yet so many are awful at it. Just look for javelin and RD spam from range. That's your freebie

Until next patch. This is actually going to buffed and might be decent.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I don't think people who say playing a Templar is easy main a Templar. Templars are so binary in combat, from my experience. I'm either attacking or defending/healing - never both at once. I get a small window to try to burst my opponent down before I have to go on defense again. It's not easy. Especially on BG when the opposition will ignore my entire team just to chase me down. LOL Hell, as soon as I show up it's Dawnbreakers, Incaps, and Meteors. I don't think I'm bad at all but I end up with the highest death counts because it seems like people are saving their ultimates just for me. So, no. I refuse to accept playing a Templar is "easy mode".

• Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Players think they are great, when there are far better options on live. However, on the PTS...
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a lot of the new ones are probably the usual flavour of the month chasers....give them 2 weeks and they will learn that you still need to have some minimal skills to play a game. They will soon move to whatever next uber character surfaces.

Many others are still old templars who stuck in there even when the class was crap
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone saying jabs/ serious is bad lol. It's the prevalence of dots making extended ritual valuable in conjunction with an off gcd snare.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll play Templar regardless of how bad or strong they are because that’s what I’ve been doing for years since the game came out. I play other classes too though and it’s never because of how strong they are , I’ll play the weakest class because that’s what i want to play. I’ve done it with Stamplar, Magplar, mag warden, magblade etc.

Templar is just fotm right now but I’m confident in most fights against any Templar because odds are I’m more experienced than them on mine. Templar’s still remain the easiest ap you’ll get when someone doesn’t know how to play one because they don’t know how to transition from offense to defense or vice versa.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Templar class has been improved.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Quoted post has been removed.]

Ok lets be real here; templar has a lot in its kit thats really really useful especially if you can utilize all 3 of its branches.

Radial sweep has no cast time, very cheap (70 ult) and does big burst dmg along with pressure after the hit.
    toppling charge off balances people which you put points into thau in cp and you do 10% more dmg for 7 secs
    Minor protect from jabbing along with anti cloak with it
    burning light is FREE dmg

sun flare is a snare, dot and procc maj prop stack with a little extra crit from a set and your at an EZ 45% crit in pvp, with all the things we have on a dude thats big. Blacklash will crit next patch when it already does great dmg. eclipse is nasty for 1v1s and shuts down direct dmg builds or at least gives em a headache. radiant destruction is a good execute if you wanna run it, thing is templar has such crazy dmg you dont even need it. Illuminate gets you 10% spell dmg for 20 secs, stacked with your major and templar gets 30% spell dmg!

Rite of passage = not dying today. Or anybody close to me. honor the dead, big burst heal that returns 60% of its cost if your below 75% HP, amazin. repentance, infinite stam (if there are bodies free cast btw) cleanse needs no comment we know how amazin it is. Rune focus; gain 8% healing done which BTW everything we do is a heal (jabs/cleans/HotD) standing in it turns you into a tank increasing your resistances by 50%...amazin. And lastly the broken and OP passive master ritualist; Gives you a 50% chance to gain a soul gem after each successful resurrection.

Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on October 15, 2019 8:51PM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NinchiTV wrote: »
    LuxLunae wrote: »
    susmitds wrote: »

Ok lets be real here; templar has a lot in its kit thats really really useful especially if you can utilize all 3 of its branches.

Radial sweep has no cast time, very cheap (70 ult) and does big burst dmg along with pressure after the hit.
    toppling charge off balances people which you put points into thau in cp and you do 10% more dmg for 7 secs

sun flare is a snare, dot and procc maj prop stack with a little extra crit from a set and your at an EZ 45% crit in pvp, with all the things we have on a dude thats big. Blacklash will crit next patch when it already does great dmg. eclipse is nasty for 1v1s and shuts down direct dmg builds or at least gives em a headache. radiant destruction is a good execute if you wanna run it, thing is templar has such crazy dmg you dont even need it. Illuminate gets you 10% spell dmg for 20 secs, stacked with your major and templar gets 30% spell dmg!

Rite of passage = not dying today. Or anybody close to me. honor the dead, big burst heal that returns 60% of its cost if your below 75% HP, amazin. repentance, infinite stam (if there are bodies free cast btw) cleanse needs no comment we know how amazin it is. Rune focus; gain 8% healing done which BTW everything we do is a heal (jabs/cleans/HotD) standing in it turns you into a tank increasing your resistances by 50%...amazin. And lastly the broken and OP passive master ritualist; Gives you a 50% chance to gain a soul gem after each successful resurrection.

What's amazing is that Templars had all of this for years and now all of a sudden the ESO community, apparently so dumb for not recognizing this earlier, has now all of a sudden figured out templars were OP overall. Yeah, that totally makes a lot of sense.

I will say that what probably distinguishes templars from the other classes is that ZOS has yet to really hit them with the nerf bat. They completely changed how NB plays, took away a bunch of things that defined DKs (free whipcast, wings, etc), and sorcs, especially those who dont run a pet, they still have zero vision for as they try patch after patch to make up for the loss of frags stun. If ZOS never touched sorcs and NBs, all the cool streamers would still play those in a second over a templar because as relatively strong as templars are, they die when zerged.

But don;t worry, the nerf bat is coming, Especially with impeccable logic that standing in my Rune increases my resistances by 50%! Looks like Wrobel was successful in giving us a house after all! Or that it's somehow unfair that templars get the same generic crit chance available to everyone else for slotting Inner Light or Inferno, drinking a pot, etc. I mean that's so unfair that nobody has ever complained about that mechanic until this patch.

Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on October 15, 2019 8:52PM
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What's amazing is that Templars had all of this for years and now all of a sudden the ESO community, apparently so dumb for not recognizing this earlier, has now all of a sudden figured out templars were OP overall. Yeah, that totally makes a lot of sense.

I will say that what probably distinguishes templars from the other classes is that ZOS has yet to really hit them with the nerf bat. They completely changed how NB plays, took away a bunch of things that defined DKs (free whipcast, wings, etc), and sorcs, especially those who dont run a pet, they still have zero vision for as they try patch after patch to make up for the loss of frags stun. If ZOS never touched sorcs and NBs, all the cool streamers would still play those in a second over a templar because as relatively strong as templars are, they die when zerged.

But don;t worry, the nerf bat is coming, Especially with impeccable logic that standing in my Rune increases my resistances by 50%! Looks like Wrobel was successful in giving us a house after all! Or that it's somehow unfair that templars get the same generic crit chance available to everyone else for slotting Inner Light or Inferno, drinking a pot, etc. I mean that's so unfair that nobody has ever complained about that mechanic until this patch.

It's true...I wonder what ZOS will do on the next PTS for changes. I can sense a nerf coming to templars, not that it really matters much.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on October 15, 2019 8:55PM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Templars goddamit it, Magicka Templars. Dont lump us Stamplars in with the living dark dot meta. Also did we really need another *** thread like this? They're getting nerfed next patch just cool it.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You could make this same argument about any class right now. The ONLY thing that annoys me about (Mag) Templars right now is the root on living dark. Thats it. If I see a Mag Templar in the distance going for that dark bubble right away I will just turn and walk away much in the same way I will if I see a NB start a fight by cloaking immediately. Not worth my time. My opinion as that most people who complain about Templars just don't play one and dont understand the class well enough to know how to deal with it. And just listing skills and passives can make any class sound strong. Even on a class thats not even great anymore like this:

Ok lets be real here, Sorc has a TON of stuff in its kit that's really really really useful if you can utilize all three branches.

Negate is expensive, but sorcs have reduced ult cost and this ultimate can shut down an ENTIRE group. No magicka abilities at all OR ults. If you drop this on a group they are done for, and not to mention it also heals your group or damages their group in a 28m range. You also get 6% cost reduction on ALL your abilities and you get increased spell crit for 20 seconds!! If you dont want expensive ults, you can go for Overload which does a TON of damage and only costs 25 ULT!!!!

Mages wrath is an execute that can be queued up with other damage for a huge burst and you also get your ultimate reduced by another 15%!! And you get an extra 20% health AND stamina recovery just for slotting any daedric skill and one of your main offensive and defensive skills is in this line which means huge recovery on both bars which also means sorcs have plenty of available stamina for break free and even roll dodging making them a very mobile mag class.

Storm calling gives you your major resistance buffs, does damage AND can pull people out of stealth, crazy right!!!!? But theres MORE! It also gives you expedition!! And your source of major sorcery is also a heal! Streak gives you a damage, stun and snare immunity and you also get 10% extra damage based on health to enemies at full health, an extra 10% shock damage, 10% mag recovery (on top of the 20% health and stam recovery) and 2% extra spell damage for ANY slotted sorcery ability. Thats easily another 8% spell damage.

You've also got a huge pet heal which is being buffed next patch by a crazy amount AND you can summon a storm atro which you can hide behind and fights for AND offers allies MAJOR beaker. That increases damage by 25%!!

And best of all no useless passives like Master Ritualist.

See? Anyone can play this game and sorc might be the hardest one lol. You can make wardens and necros sound like gods.

Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on October 15, 2019 8:49PM
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭

>"What's amazing is that Templars had all of this for years and now all of a sudden the ESO community, apparently so dumb for not recognizing this earlier, has now all of a sudden figured out templars were OP overall. Yeah, that totally makes a lot of sense" I've been saying that for years. I've always known how strong they were thats why I never played one until this patch. I threw my dignity out the door this patch :)

Regarding 2nd PP - im sure the nerfs or big changes are coming to templar. If zos never nerf'd sorcs and nbs you would def see more variety in classes out there instead of templars. If sorcs had their OP shields they could stand their ground against dots and the pressure. Along with the frag nerf that im still sad about all these years later :( you would see NBs running around more with their OP burst who could potentially out burst the templar face to face (when NBs had their old surprise and incap) but hey people wanted them nerf so here we are.

> "Looks like Wrobel was successful in giving us a house after all! Or that it's somehow unfair that templars get the same generic crit chance available to everyone else for slotting Inner Light or Inferno, drinking a pot, etc. I mean that's so unfair that nobody has ever complained about that mechanic until this patch."

Never said it was unfair. I stated facts why people are playing templar and why theyre so good right now. People are trying to down play how good they are. The crit chance on templar is good because its based on a ability thats actually worth using and doesnt come with a proc chance.

Temps get major prop 2192 crit from reflect light, a decent dot and snare for very cheap. They also get minor sorc from casting that ability which gives 10% spell dmg.

Sorcs get minor prop 1320 crit from using a dark mag ability. So they have to use a frag which you use when its proc'd, you dont hard cast. Or they use dark exchange which takes away some stam or mag. Mines and def rune are available but I havent seen them in years. Encase...lol

DKs get inferno, cheap cost does a little dmg or healing with major prop/sav cool :)

NBs get 438 crit per assassin ability slotted, a lot of NBs have grim focus/ambush/incap/assassinblade which nets 1752 crit. When they crit they gain 1320 crit. All and all pretty nice since they dont have to sacrifice anything and their passives promote putting certain skills on their bars that are worth using in the first place.

Necros get 10% for each grave lord skill on the bar when a target is at 25% HP, ATM the most reliable are skull/skelmage/blastbones & colossus (which some people dont even use) so you can get up to 40% crit on THE target with 25% > HP if your fighting multi people you dont get any use out of that until they get super low. And this is just for ONE target, that 40% crit doesnt transfer over to anything else.

Wardens get lotus flower that gives major prop/sav 2191 crit. Their LA/HA heal them during this.

Give sorcs major prop and sav. Make necro actually have some use of their crit on other targets like at 50% it kicks in but each ability slotted gives 5% crit. or hell leave the 10%. Necro might actually be formidable at that point.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use to have a 8 second armor buff

Jabs/sweeps felt like a 3 second channel

Radiant did 100 damage over 4 seconds

Vampire was not even a choice

Toppling hit no one ever

Radial sweep hit even less then no one

Total dark gave 6 years of cc immunity and didn't even cc

One patch were on top due to the Meta

Everyone calm down :lol:
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stated facts why people are playing templar and why theyre so good right now. People are trying to down play how good they are. The crit chance on templar is good because its based on a ability thats actually worth using and doesnt come with a proc chance.

Temps get major prop 2192 crit from reflect light, a decent dot and snare for very cheap. They also get minor sorc from casting that ability which gives 10% spell dmg.

Because people like you are not being intellectually honest. My Templar gets 0 crit from reflective light because I already have that buff active. And the ability is not "very cheap" because ZOs standardized every DoT to cost 2970 magicka. Yes, they get minor sorc for the same reason stam DKs get minor brutality increasing their weapon damage by 10%, so nerf templars.
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stated facts why people are playing templar and why theyre so good right now. People are trying to down play how good they are. The crit chance on templar is good because its based on a ability thats actually worth using and doesnt come with a proc chance.

Because people like you are not being intellectually honest. My Templar gets 0 crit from reflective light because I already have that buff active. And the ability is not "very cheap" because ZOs standardized every DoT to cost 2970 magicka. Yes, they get minor sorc for the same reason stam DKs get minor brutality increasing their weapon damage by 10%, so nerf templars.

I forgot I use 2 reduce cost on rings so thing are a little cheaper for me, the skill cost 1800 so its 2k without those glyphs. Still its a lot packed in for a skill that cost as little as it does. Never once have I said nerf templars. Im just tired of seeing people down play how good they are. I want other classes to be as strong as templar.