Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

QUIT CHANGING COMBAT EVERY PATCH

webrgesner
webrgesner
✭✭✭✭
Not many of us have gold like that. Im tired of having to gold out new gears, traitchange, and learning a new rotation. I DONT MIND them changing it every now and then but this the 3rd time in a row. This sets us back in raiding cuz we have to farm BIS gears and hit a certain amount of numbers on the target dummy. Not only that... but its just NERF NERF NERF... Jeez DPS role is basically crap next patch
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck. We've got more class changes for Nightblades and Templars coming up, passives need to be worked over, and so on. Plus, this is how ZOS does Horizontal Progression and handles power creep. Not to mention the future CP rework...

The nerfings will continue until morale improves.
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When content becomes face roll they have to do something!

When there are many threads about buffing content difficulty, they have to do something!

When teams clear VMOL HM in 14 mins they have to do something!

When people post 141k parses they have to do something!

Im not saying they have got it right but at least they are trying something!

Im the first to bash on zos when they F up but this dot meta didn't work so they are acting, so lets see what the final live release is before losing minds. Bear in mind this game has to be balanced around pvp as that's the only true test!
    pve balance is easy.
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stebarnz wrote: »

When there are many threads about buffing content difficulty, they have to do something!

Im the first to bash on zos when they F up but this dot meta didn't work so they are acting, so lets see what the final live release is before losing minds. Bear in mind this game has to be balanced around pvp as that's the only true test!
    pve balance is easy.

Most content is not a faceroll! Do you know how many people can pull those numbers and clear vmol HM that fast? On PC we're talking about a hundred people AT MOST. Out of millions of active players. Yes, that is the state of the endgame community.

As someone progging vSS HMs, we've basically got until this patch goes live to clear all before the team disbands. You act like the whole endgame playerbase is steamrolling through content but the reality is that it's still tough even with the high DPS we have right now.

The game cannot and should not be balanced around the tiny handful of people who have cleared everything and play like a machine.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They told us changes were coming and after the first round told us more changes were coming. Raiding groups are going to need to adjust the numbers down some to take into account the changes. We have known since before the big sustain nerf ZoS intended to do something about the power creep in PvE. Knowing that we need to be planning accordingly. Yeah I know we can't see what specific changes are coming so won't know what gear to farm. There are other things we can do so the changes don't it us quite so hard.

Zos says those high DPS numbers were not intended and they are working to bring them down. One way or another they are going to lower overall DPS. I was upset at first to see my DPS drop but now I think the adjustments will make the game more fun.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

pve balance is easy.

Most content is not a faceroll! Do you know how many people can pull those numbers and clear vmol HM that fast? On PC we're talking about a hundred people AT MOST. Out of millions of active players. Yes, that is the state of the endgame community.

As someone progging vSS HMs, we've basically got until this patch goes live to clear all before the team disbands. You act like the whole endgame playerbase is steamrolling through content but the reality is that it's still tough even with the high DPS we have right now.

The game cannot and should not be balanced around the tiny handful of people who have cleared everything and play like a machine.

MOST content IS faceroll as you are naming 1 trial, I am naming the entire game!

Have you and your disbanding team tested pts or the version that will be released on live?

Listen man, like I said im the first to call zos out on their bs and I don't think this is the right move for them but ill wait to see whats actually released, what it plays like and if I enjoy it before hitting the mental button.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

pve balance is easy.

A good part of the time groups fail because they do not pay attention to mechanics not because they lack the DPS. Yes they lack the DPS to burn through like the elite groups do but that doesn't mean the content is too hard. I joined groups that tried to burn Black Rose Prison like two groups in popular YouTube videos did it. I went in as the healer. The groups failed. We didn't have the DPS to do it. We then learned to slow down pay attention to more than just burning the boss and though it was a struggle we made it through. These changes will make more players have to take mechanics into account. That is a good change.
    Most in these forums tried to tell me my healer was dead when those changes were put in place. No way would I ever be able to heal without multiple orbs. They were wrong. I had to change my rotation but I heal just fine. There is no content that I could do before that now I cannot. I'm guessing the same will be true with these changes. We will adapt and everything will be okay.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

pve balance is easy.
    Why should the entire game get changed just to suit the top 1% of players?
    Maybe they need to just buff the difficulty for the hardest content, not nerf everybody's characters across the board no matter what their playstyle is. All that'll do is make things very frustrating for the newer players and the more casual players, who aren't among that top 1% of players that you want to cater to.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »

pve balance is easy.
    Maybe they need to just buff the difficulty for the hardest content, not nerf everybody's characters across the board no matter what their playstyle is. All that'll do is make things very frustrating for the newer players and the more casual players, who aren't among that top 1% of players that you want to cater to.

Its not the hardest content that's the issue. That's still really hard.

Its more that power creep makes older PVE content obsolete. To keep pace, ZOS would have to buff base game dungeons and Craglorn trials. That takes time, effort, and money that ZOS doesn't want to spend when they've got to pump out new content quarterly to draw players back in.
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It feels to me like they want everyone pre morrowind to quit. Just my two pennies
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    webrgesner wrote: »
    Not many of us have gold like that. Im tired of having to gold out new gears...

Then don't f'ing do that. Aside from weapons, golding the rest of your gear is not worth the money. If you're not absolutely convinced you're going to be using the same build next year, or have more money than you know what to do with, you shouldn't be golding gear out. You're literally spending all that money for buffs like 38 to a max resource or +5 to your weapon/spell damage. Seriously, don't think you need to gold out everything.
    ...traitchange...

Again, you should not be trait changing gear unless you're going to be spending a lot of time with it, or you're switching to something "safe" (like, Divine, Impen, or Infused.)
    and learning a new rotation.

This doesn't cost gold. I know, moving your skill points around costs gold. And, frustration about having to rework your rotation is a valid complaint, but we knew this audit was going to scramble things for a minute.
    I DONT MIND them changing it every now and then but this the 3rd time in a row. This sets us back in raiding cuz we have to farm BIS gears...

No such thing as BiS in ESO. More than that, if you find something that seriously looks like it's "the best," you can be absolutely assured it's going to be changed.
    ...and hit a certain amount of numbers on the target dummy.

That's not a balance change, that's your guild (or raiding group) being idiots. Numbers on a dummy do not matter for your ability to clear content. Yes, I know guilds like to use parse numbers an indicator of how well you'll perform in live content. But, you know what? It doesn't mean anything, especially when you've got people parsing with cheese setups, tanking their health, and running sets that they can't translate into live content.

Yes, being able to do damage is important, but, so what if your DPS is 50k after this, as opposed to 75k That's still way more damage than you need to clear any content in the game.
    Not only that... but its just NERF NERF NERF... Jeez DPS role is basically crap next patch

If you don't adapt, sure. Because these are some pretty major changes. There's a full audit going on right now. Which has been announced many times, since Wroble left ZOS, and Brian took over combat design duties. That means, yeah, combat is going to get a rework. A lot, in fact. This is temporary, we're probably looking at a few more updates of this. Don't spend too much money BiSing all over your gear, until things settle.
  • Jayroo
    Jayroo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but...

"update 24 combat ability improvements"
    "update 25 combat ability improvements"
    https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Raiding groups are going to need to adjust the numbers down some to take into account the changes.

I agree but I doubt you'll see it.
    The pool of players will just get way smaller
    Beta tester November 2013
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

pve balance is easy.

Soo basically they should throw the majority of players under the bus because a couple of trial guilds are op?
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerfing is like a flat tax; to someone pulling 100k+ DPS, it's irritating, but not that big a deal when 30% is shaved. To a filthy casual like myself averaging 30, losing 9, as well as utility and functionality to an increasing array of skills used for 5 years, while not making the overland questing much harder (though certainly more tedious in spots), it does drastically reduce any desire to engage with the more difficult content like trials, etc.

I have no doubt these rounds of punitive nerfs are just the beginning; CP will be reworked or scrapped entirely, passives need reigning in, etc.....

If the devs wish me to fight with an old knife and fork that have been rusting in the Rimmen sewer for an era, fine. I'll hang around the towns and challenge a Jerboa on occasion to a jumping contest when my crafting regime creates an uncontrollable arrogance.

Better a veteran overland zone and an insane difficulty on the dungeons than to rob everyone of the already paltry vertical progression on offer. This route of handicapping players instead of creating content that challenges the "power creep" is the simplest, least innovative solution that only frustrates most that have been supportive of this game for a long time.
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

pve balance is easy.

Soo basically they should throw the majority of players under the bus because a couple of trial guilds are op?

That's what you got from my post? smh ok.

What would be your move if you were in charge?
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

pve balance is easy.

Thing is, flat nerfs affect middle tier players the most. Those with 100k parses are a very small and dedicated minority - and they will adapt like they always have, maybe they will even end up improving their dps.
    But they are the minority, and a very small one at that. How many groups managed to achieve Godslayer, for example? 3 or 4 out of 12 million players? Even titles like Dromathra destroyer are relatively rare despite the fact that vmol was released years ago and it's not very hard compared to the new trials.
    Your post sounds like everyone and their dog is gamebreakingly op and that it must be fixed, but that's simply not the case. Average pugs struggle to get 20-30k dps just like they did years ago. Dlc trial hms are out of reach for pretty much any average player.

As for my personal perspective... I remember how much more people were into trials in Homestead patch compared to Morrowind and to be honest it's just sad. I witnessed a lot of smaller guilds die because of blanket nerfs and I will never believe that it's a good thing.
    I think they should focus on improving game's stability and creating new content for all types of players. A few hundred players brandishing their dps on youtube and discords do not change anything in the grand scheme of things and the game should not be balanced around them.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on September 18, 2019 11:59PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

pve balance is easy.

Thing is, flat nerfs affect middle tier players the most. Those with 100k parses are a very small and dedicated minority - and they will adapt like they always have, maybe they will even end up improving their dps.
    But they are the minority, and a very small one at that. How many groups managed to achieve Godslayer, for example? 3 or 4 out of 12 million players? Even titles like Dromathra destroyer are relatively rare despite the fact that vmol was released years ago and it's not very hard compared to the new trials.
    Your post sounds like everyone and their dog is gamebreakingly op and that it must be fixed, but that's simply not the case. Average pugs struggle to get 20-30k dps just like they did years ago. Dlc trial hms are out of reach for pretty much any average player.

As for my personal perspective... I remember how much more people were into trials in Homestead patch compared to Morrowind and to be honest it's just sad. I witnessed a lot of smaller guilds die because of blanket nerfs and I will never believe that it's a good thing.
    I think they should focus on improving game's stability and creating new content for all types of players. A few hundred players brandishing their dps on youtube and discords do not change anything in the grand scheme of things and the game should not be balanced around them.

100% agree with you, if what is on pts goes live then it will hurt middle to low tier players a lot!

To say 12 million players is a bit of a stretch, lets concentrate on how many players hit max cp, not how many players played it on a free weekend then uninstalled.

Definitely they should improve stability, and new content should keep coming in without adding bugs etc.

If they don't balance the game around the best then endgame becomes stale and unchallenging, even if its possible to do what they were doing they have to address it, I get what you are saying the majority will never achieve it but honestly what choice do they have?

I sound like I'm defending zos here and that would be a first believe me but they have to do something... What they have put on pts is not a good move and really needs a change and they better listen to feedback from pts testers this time! I would rather them do something than nothing though!

This isn't a pick up and play game and people need to realise it takes a bit of dedication to get somewhere with it! I will get on pts and give some feedback on what I think from my POV will help the game move forward and attempt to help new players and also challenge the elite. Whether it gets listened to is another matter.

I want the game to succeed and be good for everybody who puts effort in, not instantly rewarding.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen this type of logic implemented before, and it's never any good.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck. We've got more class changes for Nightblades and Templars coming up, passives need to be worked over, and so on. Plus, this is how ZOS does Horizontal Progression and handles power creep. Not to mention the future CP rework...

tenor.gif?itemid=6130024
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • ihazzit
    ihazzit
    ✭✭✭
    70303451_2409643445974471_429466999836377088_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQkWfjeCMqwpnBvvAlg71prUjWywcoXj4YAKURXgLoUhhlfSQEiOcdVxxdPLT3ay7zY&_nc_ht=scontent.fcmh1-1.fna&oh=f1e6c16885b1aa7eb18c8d060e707391&oe=5E332704
    If you are angry about anything in this game you are only punishing yourself.
  • Roxie5D
    Roxie5D
    ✭✭✭
    This type of stuff never bothered me as I'm just a casual quester, but even I find it's getting really annoying now! -.-
  • TirantLoBlanch
    TirantLoBlanch
    ✭✭✭
    Not many of us have gold like that. Im tired of having to gold out new gears...

Then don't f'ing do that. Aside from weapons, golding the rest of your gear is not worth the money. If you're not absolutely convinced you're going to be using the same build next year, or have more money than you know what to do with, you shouldn't be golding gear out. You're literally spending all that money for buffs like 38 to a max resource or +5 to your weapon/spell damage. Seriously, don't think you need to gold out everything.
    ...traitchange...

Again, you should not be trait changing gear unless you're going to be spending a lot of time with it, or you're switching to something "safe" (like, Divine, Impen, or Infused.)
    and learning a new rotation.

This doesn't cost gold. I know, moving your skill points around costs gold. And, frustration about having to rework your rotation is a valid complaint, but we knew this audit was going to scramble things for a minute.
    I DONT MIND them changing it every now and then but this the 3rd time in a row. This sets us back in raiding cuz we have to farm BIS gears...

No such thing as BiS in ESO. More than that, if you find something that seriously looks like it's "the best," you can be absolutely assured it's going to be changed.
    ...and hit a certain amount of numbers on the target dummy.

That's not a balance change, that's your guild (or raiding group) being idiots. Numbers on a dummy do not matter for your ability to clear content. Yes, I know guilds like to use parse numbers an indicator of how well you'll perform in live content. But, you know what? It doesn't mean anything, especially when you've got people parsing with cheese setups, tanking their health, and running sets that they can't translate into live content.

Yes, being able to do damage is important, but, so what if your DPS is 50k after this, as opposed to 75k That's still way more damage than you need to clear any content in the game.
    Not only that... but its just NERF NERF NERF... Jeez DPS role is basically crap next patch

If you don't adapt, sure. Because these are some pretty major changes. There's a full audit going on right now. Which has been announced many times, since Wroble left ZOS, and Brian took over combat design duties. That means, yeah, combat is going to get a rework. A lot, in fact. This is temporary, we're probably looking at a few more updates of this. Don't spend too much money BiSing all over your gear, until things settle.

1) I dont gold everything but i have 9 toons. Just golding PVE and PvP weapons for them is a respectable Bill.

2) Traits will change if sustain goes down as much as promised in PTS.

3)Learning a rotation costs gold if you use the correct Pots abd the correct venoms. If not, you can find yoursef being unable to sustain. Droped pots cost time farming them.
    And time parsing cost gold because you don´t earn anything beating a dummy. Lucrum cessans.

4)Is absurd to deny the existence of a BIS in ESO. The nerfings just change to another BIS. And being obliged to change too often is a legitimate complaint. Because the nerfings not only make the BIS almots useless (Sunderflame, sunderflame, where are you now...)The massive nerfs often punish other sets, tht´s not new.

5)To call "idiots"some guild members becuse they insist in the exigence of a minimum DPS to affront some content is very bold for your part. The limit must be fixed in some point, and everyone knows that mashing buttons skill is just a part of the equation. But is a starting point. This can easily be checked. That´s all. Don´t supose you will stay in a guild if you fail every mechanic, die in every boss, and most important, don´t be someone that the other members want in their team. Specially if they have discord. But check all this points require time. A Dps test is not the only condition, just the first one.
    What I call silly is to put the admision minimum too high. That´s another problem.

6) "Adapt" is in this case an eupehmism for "Be acritic"
    Clever people just adapt to things that can´t be changed. The rules here are not the rules of life, are artificial rules. And
    this changes have no other strarting point than the FAIL to the Dev team to balance PVP and PVE, classes and skills.

So they hae to "Adapt", not me. They have to create a harder content to correct the mistake. It´s their fault, not ours, they have to put the effort, the time and the money because it´s tehir responsability, not mine.

"Adapt" here
    is the opposite
    to be aware
    of your rights
    as customer.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

pve balance is easy.

You, sir, are so damm right. Totally agree.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I've come down to is.

It's okay to change combat. It's not okay to change combat greatly more than every 3-6 months. We literally just got Scale Breaker and now they're trying to change combat again. With how slow gear grind is in this game (transmutes) we are still trying to do some builds and now with these changes we are not really prepared and it'll take us too long to recover making this game even more grindy.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Casterial wrote: »
    What I've come down to is.

It's okay to change combat. It's not okay to change combat greatly more than every 3-6 months. We literally just got Scale Breaker and now they're trying to change combat again. With how slow gear grind is in this game (transmutes) we are still trying to do some builds and now with these changes we are not really prepared and it'll take us too long to recover making this game even more grindy.

I agree, but I think there's a level of uncertainty surrounding some of the later patches that make some people more uneasy than they would normally be.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't HAVE to gold your gear, it's such a minute increase in stats that staying purple doesn't hurt you. All you reasonably need gold is your weapons.

Besides if the combat stayed exactly the same for the last 5 years everyone would've quit playing because of how stale it's been.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    You don't HAVE to gold your gear, it's such a minute increase in stats that staying purple doesn't hurt you. All you reasonably need gold is your weapons.

Besides if the combat stayed exactly the same for the last 5 years everyone would've quit playing because of how stale it's been.

This is different. Combat drastically change sin July, then August, then September. We had to transmute a lot of gear, farm new sets.. I don't know if you know this it's not gold that's the issue.
    Edited by Casterial on September 19, 2019 4:32PM
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • PapaReads
    PapaReads
    Soul Shriven
    As a casual gamer with kids and work the constant changes and farming gear and reworking everything becomes too much of a cost in time. Ten years ago sure I could sink more time into it. Hopefully they back off some of the nerfing and cost changes.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »

pve balance is easy.

Its not the hardest content that's the issue. That's still really hard.

Its more that power creep makes older PVE content obsolete. To keep pace, ZOS would have to buff base game dungeons and Craglorn trials. That takes time, effort, and money that ZOS doesn't want to spend when they've got to pump out new content quarterly to draw players back in.

Im willing to bet they are spending far more time and money on their current approach considering its a constant stream of changes every 3 months. Thats wages, supplies, equipment depreciation, repair expenses etc going into a long term method that is proving to be negatively impactful on their playerbase in one way or another. Which always results in lost revenue. And over time the amount of effort being placed on this current approach is going to far surpass any effort placed on buffing base game dungeons and trails.

Power Creep isnt this mythical creature that little developers struggle to overcome. Its a result of kicking the can down the road on issues their changes create and eventually being put in a place where they have no choice but to make sweeping changes to correct. If other companies can tackle this without neckbreaking swings between metas, ZOS is capable of it as well. It just requires them to stop taking the easy and lazy approach.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Welkynar
    Welkynar
    ✭✭✭
    I would tolerate lower dps if combat was reworked to be more fun. For example, changing Bound Armaments is sort of what I’d like. Or, add new skills to the classes or new morphs. I don’t like changes like percentage decreases every patch.