The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Is a maelstrom greatsword useless in PVE ?

FatFred
FatFred
✭✭✭
Finally beat the vMA 2 days ago, after the first down, I started to farm vMA,each run took me approx 1hours 20mins.I got one flame ,one lightning staves and 5 greatswords, I am not a skilled player, usuallyI just copy builds from famous players, when I go to their websites and check , all builds tend not to use maelstrom greatswords.

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Think so yes, it’s a pvp weapon.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can use the greatsword with stampede as a back bar weapon, with stampede and carve, instead of arrow barrage and poison injection, it is not the best, but you can use it. stampedes ground procs/refreshes merciless charge every tick, so it effectively makes stampedes 8 second dot, a 14 second dot. though a battleaxe is better, since the bleed carries over and the 6% from the sword doesn't.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stampede has a similar function to Arrow Barrage/Endless Hail in that it can consistently proc an infused enchantment from the supplied ground dot, but it deals damage very differently. Stampede has a 100% crit burst component and it teleports you to a target, kind of neat in PVE since you wouldn't have the speed boost of roll dodging with a bow, and you can change targets and move to melee range instantly. The overall damage over time of maelstrom 2H/stampede is a bit less than maelstrom bow/endless hail, though.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on September 11, 2019 9:16PM
  • FatFred
    FatFred
    ✭✭✭
    Stampede has a similar function to Arrow Barrage/Endless Hail in that it can consistently proc an infused enchantment from the supplied ground dot, but it deals damage very differently. Stampede has a 100% crit burst component and it teleports you to a target, kind of neat in PVE since you wouldn't have the speed boost of roll dodging with a bow, and you can change targets and move to melee range instantly. The overall damage over time of maelstrom 2H/stampede is a bit less than maelstrom bow/endless hail, though.
    Thank you for replying.

Is it better than a normal set bow as back bar weapon in DPS ? 🌝
  • FatFred
    FatFred
    ✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    you can use the greatsword with stampede as a back bar weapon, with stampede and carve, instead of arrow barrage and poison injection, it is not the best, but you can use it. stampedes ground procs/refreshes merciless charge every tick, so it effectively makes stampedes 8 second dot, a 14 second dot. though a battleaxe is better, since the bleed carries over and the 6% from the sword doesn't.

Thank you for the suggestion.
    If I use the sword as a backbar weapon, can I just simply replace arrow barrage and poison injection with stampede and carve, and do not adjust my rotation.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FatFred wrote: »
    Thank you for replying.

probably not. worth testing out on your build though.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    FatFred wrote: »
    Thank you for replying.

If you play a class that really needs extra single target DOTs like poison injection to supplement damage, it wouldn't give as much by a small margin. Poison injection is kind of big. But on a class like DK, the maelstrom 2H would work out better since they have more dots to pick from and a useful damage stacking buff like flame whip to slot in place of poison injection. My DK pretty much deals almost the same DPS, maybe +/-2%, no matter which of the big maelstrom/master back bar weapons I pick.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on September 11, 2019 9:51PM
  • FatFred
    FatFred
    ✭✭✭
    Tested ,DPS on a 6M dummy drooped by10% from 35k to 32k, I will continue working on bow farming :s
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short answer yes
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The DoT doesn't crit, so it is a no-go for PVE. Keep farming the bow, daggers, and while you are at it go ahead and start farming your Master bow from DSA.
    Edited by kojou on September 12, 2019 4:22PM
    Playing since beta...
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its flat damage overtime so it wont crit. Not worth it.
    Edited by techprince on September 12, 2019 4:25PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel ya, I have way too many 2hs and DWs
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Alidel
    Alidel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually put 2h axe on my backbar for stamsorc and got inlove with full melee build. So far I had no problems in vet dlc dungeons and some trials. It's fun experience if you wanna have some fresh playstyle.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alidel wrote: »
    I actually put 2h axe on my backbar for stamsorc and got inlove with full melee build. So far I had no problems in vet dlc dungeons and some trials. It's fun experience if you wanna have some fresh playstyle.

i tried to make this work on my stamblade, with mediocre results, the VMA bow and master bow are just too good. though it was really fun.
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on September 12, 2019 11:05PM