Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagBlade Theorycrafting Changes Thread

• WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    WacArnold wrote: »
    I thought I was going to shelf the magblade this patch but, I just cant play anything else lol.

Tryed necro/curse eater/ troll king. Eh its not so hot, but sometimes its ok. I have alot of trouble vs a couple people using dots or one person only using a dot build. Curse has that 8 sec cool down so a bunch of dots is still gonna add up.

Sustain is rough this patch I have 2k recovery and 46k mag and still run out alot.

Combos are clunky, hard to get a solid burst going. Been alot of times I wish I had impale slotted.

Right now my bars are : degen, shade, mass, swallow, merciless, soul harvest
    regen, path, harness, rat, shadowy, soul tether

Eh idk I might go to crafty drop necro get rid of shade (im not very good with shade and mostly dont use the teleport) and use impale or ele drain.

I dont know just playing it tonight in the sewers. Kinda hard to tell alot of new players and zergs.

I would drop path, put degeneration back bar and then throw impale in degenerations slot.

Im not really using harness for my primary defense im stacking hots to mitigate damage. Im only using harness instead of ward because the shield str of harness is the max that ward would ever get and since that heal is about worthless with a small shield i figured i should get full shield always in oh crap situations.

Also now im trying spinner and curse. If that works i may go get the brp restro and then bring back ward.

And if in the end i like the more mag setup i could use btb change my mundus from atro to mage and get the same mag as necro and an open skill slot. For ele or impale, or loose out on 2k mag and go lover for pen that cant be purged.

Just personally i dont like shade i have never used it and have found a way to get out of situations without it. Main problem with it is i double click when i use it and cast it and instantly teleport. I will however miss minor main, and that is my biggest worry not having it.
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I was going to shelf the magblade this patch but, I just cant play anything else lol.

Tryed necro/curse eater/ troll king. Eh its not so hot, but sometimes its ok. I have alot of trouble vs a couple people using dots or one person only using a dot build. Curse has that 8 sec cool down so a bunch of dots is still gonna add up.

Sustain is rough this patch I have 2k recovery and 46k mag and still run out alot.

Combos are clunky, hard to get a solid burst going. Been alot of times I wish I had impale slotted.

Eh idk I might go to crafty drop necro get rid of shade (im not very good with shade and mostly dont use the teleport) and use impale or ele drain.

I dont know just playing it tonight in the sewers. Kinda hard to tell alot of new players and zergs.

I would drop path, put degeneration back bar and then throw impale in degenerations slot.

Im not really using harness for my primary defense im stacking hots to mitigate damage. Im only using harness instead of ward because the shield str of harness is the max that ward would ever get and since that heal is about worthless with a small shield i figured i should get full shield always in oh crap situations.

Also now im trying spinner and curse. If that works i may go get the brp restro and then bring back ward.

And if in the end i like the more mag setup i could use btb change my mundus from atro to mage and get the same mag as necro and an open skill slot. For ele or impale, or loose out on 2k mag and go lover for pen that cant be purged.

Just personally i dont like shade i have never used it and have found a way to get out of situations without it. Main problem with it is i double click when i use it and cast it and instantly teleport. I will however miss minor main, and that is my biggest worry not having it.

Stacking hots is indeed very good for magblades and is what I also do. Against a lot of people, making space with cloak and shade and fear all while the hots are ticking is the defensive game plan.

Shade is key though. I'd argue it's the most important magblade skill since it mitigates the most damage by getting you out of the situation.
    Edited by HowlKimchi on September 8, 2019 7:23PM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Yea, magblades can do well in limited settings. Stick to sewers or open world and you’ll be okay. I’d steer clear of places like BGs or fighting groups.

Still playing solo Magblade everyday in high MMR BGs and have to say I disagree.

Just yesterday I faced a premade Templar group:

IMG-ba275d8d-177b-4f39-af19-642c7601023a.png

Small clip from that match:
    https://xboxclips.com/Lich This/684fd4a8-66bf-4d15-becf-57b00743cb7e/embed

I think people just need to stick with it. Obviously not every match will be a breeze.

It sounds cheesy but with practice comes comfortability and ultimately success.
    Edited by brandonv516 on September 8, 2019 7:27PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, magblades can do well in limited settings. Stick to sewers or open world and you’ll be okay. I’d steer clear of places like BGs or fighting groups.

Still playing solo Magblade everyday in high MMR BGs and have to say I disagree.

Just yesterday I faced a premade Templar group:

IMG-ba275d8d-177b-4f39-af19-642c7601023a.png

Small clip from that match:
    https://xboxclips.com/Lich This/684fd4a8-66bf-4d15-becf-57b00743cb7e/embed

I think people just need to stick with it. Obviously not every match will be a breeze.

It sounds cheesy but with practice comes comfortability and ultimately success.

Ah nice. I struggled until I changed my spec around, played two BGs and did really well. Now I’m trying to be sneaky with it and keep it for Cyro only so it’s on the DL.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Tzayad
    Tzayad
    ✭✭✭
    This is the set up I’m currently running.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=77778

Can easily switch to a ranged focus build by swapping concealed for swallow/crushing/elemental weapon, and Lotus for clench, and any other ult like meteor or Soul assult.
    The idea of the build is having quite high health regen while running multiple HoTs, and just going all out offence/pressure.
    You’ve got the resto ult for any “oh *** I’m getting bursted” moments, as well as combat prayer for extra defense and offence to help swing the tide back in your favor.

I’m having a ton of fun with it solo and in small groups since it’s quite good at ganking, sustained fights, and has quite good group support.
    Edited by Tzayad on September 9, 2019 7:01PM
    Beren Tinamion | Nightblade
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »

Stacking hots is indeed very good for magblades and is what I also do. Against a lot of people, making space with cloak and shade and fear all while the hots are ticking is the defensive game plan.

Shade is key though. I'd argue it's the most important magblade skill since it mitigates the most damage by getting you out of the situation.

I think the same, stacking HoTs is nice for mageblades. Though you don't need cloak + shade + fear. Dark cloak + Resolve + blur is more than enough.

Well, I'm playing off healer mageblade this patch and it is really nice when tou get high mitigation while those HoTs start ticking
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tzayad wrote: »

Can easily switch to a ranged focus build by swapping concealed for swallow/crushing/elemental weapon, and Lotus for clench, and any other ult like meteor or Soul assult.
    The idea of the build is having quite high health regen while running multiple HoTs, and just going all out offence/pressure.
    You’ve got the resto ult for any “oh *** I’m getting bursted” moments, as well as combat prayer for extra defense and offence to help swing the tide back in your favor.

I’m having a ton of fun with it solo and in small groups since it’s quite good at ganking, sustained fights, and has quite good group support.

Looks good though how are you getting your health regen so high? Is that solely from Troll King and CPs?

I’d try Soul Siphon on your back bar for the Siphoning passives.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good though how are you getting your health regen so high? Is that solely from Troll King and CPs?

Yeah something is wrong with that, he also has major fortitude on his buffs but no way of obtaining it.
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on September 9, 2019 6:39PM
  • Tzayad
    Tzayad
    ✭✭✭

Yeah something is wrong with that, he also has major fortitude on his buffs but no way of obtaining it.

Guess I had that buff selected by accident, I do run tripots though, those still give that buff, right?
    Without the major fort, drops the health regen to 2800~

Updated the buffs that should be active, including taking continuous attack off. A bit more modest stats, but still good.
    Fully buffed up I think it has some pretty rad stats though.

A lot comes from the food I'm running, troll king, and a little from CP
    Edited by Tzayad on September 9, 2019 7:03PM
    Beren Tinamion | Nightblade
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess I had that buff selected by accident, I do run tripots though, those still give that buff, right?
    Without the major fort, drops the health regen to 2800~

Updated the buffs that should be active, including taking continuous attack off. A bit more modest stats, but still good.
    Fully buffed up I think it has some pretty rad stats though.

A lot comes from the food I'm running, troll king, and a little from CP

Yeah tri pots will give major fortitude so that makes sense now
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

I think the same, stacking HoTs is nice for mageblades. Though you don't need cloak + shade + fear. Dark cloak + Resolve + blur is more than enough.

Well, I'm playing off healer mageblade this patch and it is really nice when tou get high mitigation while those HoTs start ticking

I think you're building more tanky. I'm still playing the slippery damage dealer variant of magblades, hence the important of shade and cloak for my playstyle.

• HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any one have any success with a solo melee magblade so far this patch? I attempted one that was decent got a few good 1vXs with it. Though I had to flat out run from certain Templar builds lol it’s just no way to beat them with those dots and that bubble.

Amberplasm + shackle/lich + skoria / zaan / bloodspawn. Been messing with this for a few patches now and it’s my go to. This patch even more for sitting in stealth to suppress dots. Enjoy :)

Edit : if you haven’t tried double drain health poisons for magblade. It’s been my disgusting secret for a few patches now. 2 dots that both proc skoria if you don’t have enough dots slotted on bar plus gives some ok healing.
    Edited by HEBREWHAMMERRR on September 10, 2019 5:34PM
  • jarrandub17_ESO
    jarrandub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Icy/Amber/Skoria
    Entropy/soul/debilitate/icy/reach if you want all dots
    Enjoy!
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just did some BGs today after taking a break since the patch. Is swift everyone’s go to jewellery trait? I felt like a snail moving around, IDK maybe I’m just out of practice.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone still use befoul cp with soul harvest? I heard this was nerfed but do not know the details.

Oh and rat does not protect against dizzy swing stuns?
    Edited by WacArnold on September 12, 2019 2:21AM
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone still use befoul cp with soul harvest? I heard this was nerfed but do not know the details.

Oh and rat does not protect against dizzy swing stuns?

No rat is snare removal and immunity. It will not block any hard ccs
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

I think you're building more tanky. I'm still playing the slippery damage dealer variant of magblades, hence the important of shade and cloak for my playstyle.

Somehow tanky... I'm using 5 Almalexia's + 5 alessia's bulwark + BS, 5L/1H/1M.
    Alma mercy proc is quite good
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Did some BGs tonight with Dark Cloak because I was too lazy to remorph it to Shadowy Disguise. With burst being up and lots of dots I’m pretty sure disguise is better.

You can make dark cloak work but it’s definitely not optimal.

Thinking about it I’m going to kit out my magblade like Brandon’s spec. Ranged cloakblade is probably the most effective magblade right now.
    Edited by Iskiab on September 12, 2019 4:34AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My current project is focusing on my magsorc so I'm posting my build for the past year of magblade ESO:

I play solo 50% of the time and Duo with my brother on the other half. My playstyle is very quick and slippery, but still have just enough defense to not melt instantly when applying the burst rotation.

I using Troll King, Torug's Pact (both bars), and Spinners (Frontbar), Backbar Blackrose Resto, 5-1-1 light-med-heavy
    All impen, all protective, and infused destro/resto staves

Orzoga's Smoked Bear Haunch, Steed Mundus. Currently a Dunmer but I think Khajit would be BiS.
    Pots: Alliance Major Sorc pots/lingering health pots

Front bar: inner light, swallow soul, ele drain, hysteria, spectral bow, U: Soul Harvest
    Back bar: RAT, Invi Cloak, Siphoning Attacks/Entropy, Ward Ally, Shade, U: Resto Ult/Soul Tether

Max Magicka is only around 30k but it's okay because you have a high health pool (but don't be fooled by this it's still not built for slugfests), and you also have good recoveries. Fully buffed: 2200 magicka, 3300 health, 1100 stamina recoveries.

Offense:
    Main Burst is good old Soul Harvest -> Hysteria -> Spectral Bow with light attack weaving (with back bar torug's infused weapon enchant buff up). Infused shock enchant with torug's is both good for sustained damage, and burst. You basically proc it ever ~2 seconds. It has a 6k tooltip. I usually get my target down to around 80% health before I do the main burst and it's usually enough to get the kill. It's very easy to get 5 stacks if you weave consistently both on the front and backbar. On 1vX's I stay defensive while still maintaining light attacks as it's a big source of consistent heals from siphoning attacks and it builds for the spectral bow even on the resto staff and then turn around to deal burst damage on the weakest target. I rarely use Cloak as an offensive tool for the crit.

Against tankier opponents it's a resource battle, and the killing blow usually happens when the soul harvest, shock enchant, and spectral bow all crit. So as i'm whittling down the resource, im hoping for this to happen.

Defense:
    LOS and all the hots combined with speed and slipperiness basically. Troll King, Swallow soul, siphoning attacks should be consistently up. Troll King with Steed Mundus nets me around 3300 health recovery so making room with cloak and shade already heals me. Steed Mundus with RAT makes me very quick and hard to reach especially when combined with cloak and shade. Always change direction after going into cloak and always have the shade available for teleporting even if it's just a few meters away. Before getting RAT magblade defense was very very clunky because roots and snares were a death sentence. When entropy is slotted for the dot, major sorc, and additional hot, i switch my backbar ult to soul tether to have a siphoning skill, and my pot to lingering health. This is actually pretty good for cyrodiil because of the addiontal 2 hots with the loss of heals on light attacks, but in No CP BGs it's lacking in sustain someties.

Also use terrain and mobility. I don't want to fight multiple good magplars or magsorcs out on the open, I want to be near corners since I'm rarely built defensively enough to outlast them in a slugfest. But ofcourse don’t shy away from 1v1 duels that tend to happen when you bump into someone good that would also like to duel with you. When those happen, I rarely cloak away to run (except when im carrying like 15k telvar :P) and I just fight to the finish even if I die, then send a “gf” whisper to the opponent.

I don't really change anything from Cyro to No CP BGs except sometimes slotting Refreshing Path over RAT on deathmatches.
    Edited by HowlKimchi on September 12, 2019 9:04AM

• thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I’m playing a melee build with onslaught and I actually think it’s better than destro/resto for open world Pvp. It just has so much more burst and mobility. it’s actually been fun where destro magblade has become boring and is really just not that good. The biggest problem I’m having with my melee build is that I can’t find away to fit lotus fan on my bar and still take advantage of all the class passives.
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I’m playing a melee build with onslaught and I actually think it’s better than destro/resto for open world Pvp. It just has so much more burst and mobility. it’s actually been fun where destro magblade has become boring and is really just not that good. The biggest problem I’m having with my melee build is that I can’t find away to fit lotus fan on my bar and still take advantage of all the class passives.

I started this build but didn’t really find the fun in it. I wasn’t getting kills in BGs with it so kinda scrapped it for open world.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Problem I had when I was designing it was a Siphoning ability.

Lotus - ele - cloak - concealed - Crippling Ult Onslaught

That might work, you’d have to live with RAT and Merciless on your back bar though.

2hs are so nice because of the extra weapon damage. Compared to a destro staff it’s like having an extra spell power glyph. DWs are the same, but I’m not sure how the DW passive works and if you get the bonus damage on off balance targets as a Magblade.

Come to think of it merciless on your back bar would be a lot easier. You don’t have to worry about building stacks with a melee weapon.

Then ele - lotus - LA - concealed for quick bursts. For onslaught: ele -
    cloak - concealed - LA - onslaught.
    Edited by Iskiab on September 13, 2019 1:39AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »

I started this build but didn’t really find the fun in it. I wasn’t getting kills in BGs with it so kinda scrapped it for open world.

It took me alot of trial and error before I finally found a combination of gear sets that somewhat worked for a melee magblade or just magblade in general. I’m running shackle/war maiden/blood spawn. Onslaught is hitting hard from stealth it’s basically guaranteed 10k or more burst damage regardless if the person is a tank or not. It also lets the bow that follows ignore all resistances it’s like the perfect tank killer.

I haven’t played it in battlegrounds with it. I don’t think I could sustain it in no CP though without gutting the damage so I see your point. It’s definitely not a good group build. It’s perfect for running around solo in Cyrodiil though as long as you don’t try to duel straight up. I don’t see a viable way to make a magblade build for battlegrounds that another class couldn’t do a lot better. I think nightblade as a whole is probably the worse class for bg’s
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something that I’m theorizing but never put into practice is actually a Very crit heavy magblade. The reason is dark cloak and siphoning attacks both only scale with hp and crit, while mag and spelldmg don’t really help your defenses - so crit is the optimal way to boost both. Also Torugs enchants might come in handy since they also benefit highly from crit. Lingering pots to provide more sustained healing that uses crit.

I haven’t found a good second set to combine torugs with though that both boosts crit and doest leave your defenses and sustain behind.
  • zammo
    zammo
    ✭✭✭
    Jeezye wrote: »
    I haven’t found a good second set to combine torugs with though that both boosts crit and doest leave your defenses and sustain behind.

Hope I'm not misunderstanding what you're saying there, but if you want crit, defense and sustain, surely you want Robes of Transmutation?

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stambla
    Something that I’m theorizing but never put into practice is actually a Very crit heavy magblade. The reason is dark cloak and siphoning attacks both only scale with hp and crit, while mag and spelldmg don’t really help your defenses - so crit is the optimal way to boost both. Also Torugs enchants might come in handy since they also benefit highly from crit. Lingering pots to provide more sustained healing that uses crit.

They scale from crit, health and healing % modifiers.

I’ve had the same difficulty so I settled on mechanical acuity and shadow mundus. It’s a good compromise because you can grab crit modifiers and rely on auto crits so your other stats don’t suffer.

New players love skimping on crit resists so it’s somewhat effective, I just need a way to track the mech proc.
    Edited by Iskiab on September 13, 2019 1:20PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stambla

They scale from crit, health and healing % modifiers.

I’ve had the same difficulty so I settled on mechanical acuity and shadow mundus. It’s a good compromise because you can grab crit modifiers and rely on auto crits so your other stats don’t suffer.

New players love skimping on crit resists so it’s somewhat effective, I just need a way to track the mech proc.

I ran multiple builds with MA, the longer you play with that set, the more you’ll be able to identify when you are off cooldown. Just a matter of experience with it.
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    after playing a bit on magblade i've come to the conclusion that the class is in a weak spot because of one ability:

impale

this ability is pure garbage. dodged 95% of the time and just not very potent unless the player is afk and nearly dead, it is absolute trash in comparison to the jesus beam of templar. radiant oppression can't be dodged, starts at 50%, scales to nearly 500% dmg... i mean my god.

if impale was made into a good executable, i truly believe this class would instantly be way more viable. the ability to attack from stealth routinely puts victims below 50% 9 times out of 10 just from open. the issue is that the follow up pressure isn't very good and the execute is total garbage.

my two cents
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »
    after playing a bit on magblade i've come to the conclusion that the class is in a weak spot because of one ability:

impale

this ability is pure garbage. dodged 95% of the time and just not very potent unless the player is afk and nearly dead, it is absolute trash in comparison to the jesus beam of templar. radiant oppression can't be dodged, starts at 50%, scales to nearly 500% dmg... i mean my god.

if impale was made into a good executable, i truly believe this class would instantly be way more viable. the ability to attack from stealth routinely puts victims below 50% 9 times out of 10 just from open. the issue is that the follow up pressure isn't very good and the execute is total garbage.

my two cents

Yea it can be looked at this way. Also why a lot of mnb players use proc sets to pump up their pressure. LA>Spammable is the weakest pressure possible. Nothing delayed until you have a bow proc.

Still might be the most unforgiving yet funnest class. Though I don’t subscribe to the idea this is a great meta for mnb. Especially if you were used to a brawler type build/playstyle.
    Edited by Insco851 on September 13, 2019 2:32PM
  • Zevrro
    Zevrro
    ✭✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »

impale

my two cents

Its never been worth slotting in my opinion but for me its mainly a bar space issue. I think the main problem with impale is that it seems to have a travel time which makes it too unreliable for a skill that you're using solely for finishing off players.
    @Zevrro PC-EU
    CP 1200+
    Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/Bahlokdaan
    Magicka Nightblade

AD | Zevrro
    | Magicka Nightblade | AR43 |
    AD | Zevrro II | Magicka Nightblade | AR50 | 09-02-2019 |
    DC | Not Zevrro | Magicka Nightblade | AR33 |
    EP | Ževrro | Magicka Nightblade | AR14 |
    Other PvP Characters
    AD | Zevrro VII | Stamina Warden | AR33 |
    AD | Zevrro XII | Magicka Warden | AR22 |