Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

40k on a test dummy?

• hasi
    hasi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if anyone said this already, but for the newer Mag DPS People:

Use the Destro Skill Elemental Drain on the 3 Mil Dummy.

Unlike the 21 Million One, you won't auto-receive any Buffs or Debuffs on it.
    It helps your sustain a tiny bit, costs nothing, only needs to be recast ~30secs and gives you some Penetration aka "extra DPS".😊

Edit: Just saw a lot of people mention it as side notes, oops. Plus I just noticed this Forum is old as hell.😱😂
    Edited by hasi on August 25, 2019 11:03AM
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you need to master animation canceling
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Man, someone had to go digging for this old thread.

You've come a long way baby. This thread, some some great advice in it, was a springboard to actually improving. I can now do 45k+ on a test dummy.

And, btw, there are still people who think I suck :)
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thats because people with practiced rotations and adequate gear do 100k dps on raid dummy
    Edited by Rake on August 25, 2019 3:18PM
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »

You've come a long way baby. This thread, some some great advice in it, was a springboard to actually improving. I can now do 45k+ on a test dummy.

Congratz on your improvement.

Could you share your most important advice to improve?

I can get 32k on a magcro now (6mill dummy), but higher seems way out of reach now. I use Alcast's build, but i do not have the trail armor, replaced it with Mother Sorrow. I do not have Zaan, replaced it with Llambris.

My most recent improvements were: Use the crit potions, re-allocate the traits of the jewelry, better animation cancelling (before i did skill -> LA instead of LA -> skill) and I got the vMA staff, so that has improved my DPS a lot.

Still would love to get better though.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must say that once i joined ESO (This January, i think), i was expecting another MMO... but even if i played GW2, once i started understanding how the game was, i realized this is more an action MMO where you need to sincronize many things. Far different from other MMOs i playe for long - wow, lotro, swtor,...-.

It took me a while to learn this playstyle and i can understand why many players arent able to master this game.
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recently returned and had to update my rotation and build so I know what you're going through. I was struggling to get good dps but now I can solo parse 32k consistently. Magicka pet sorcs have a relatively easy rotation, good sustain, good AoE dmg and great survivablity so I would recommend this class to begin with.

Consumables
    Use spell power pots, not cheap but serious dps increase
    Witchmothers potent brew (use one health glyph on your chest/head/legs)

Mundus
    Lover for solo/pug
    Apprentice for trails/good group

Gear
    Most guides show gold trail jewelry, vMA weapons or perfected vAS weapon which is unobtainable for many players. You mentioned you dont run vet dungeons so I will suggest a setup with only one monster piece.

5x Necropotence (3x jewelry, 2x body)
    5x Julianos (4x body and 2x lightning staves)
    1x Domihaus (1x shoulder) one that give max magikca or spell dmg is also fine

Skills
    Front bar: infused fire staff (shock enchant)
    1) cfrags
    2) force pulse
    3) daedric prey
    4) volatile familiar
    5) bound aegis/inner light
    U) Greater Storm Atronach

Front bar: nirnhoned lightning staff (weapon/spell dmg enchant)
    1) liquid lightning
    2) elemental wall
    3) volatile familiar
    4) hardened ward (use elemental drain for parse)
    5) bound aegis/inner light
    U) Elemental Rage

Rotation

spell power pot > ele drain > Storm Atro (Elemental Rage for AoE)

LA > liquid > LA > wall > LA > pet > barswap
    LA > curse > LA > FP > HA > barswap

Cast cfrags if it procs, priority over other front bar skills
    If you get two cfrags procs on your front bar skip the HA

If you run low on resources use HA instead of FP in the rotation
    If you need to shield in the rotation skip FP/HA depending on your resources

Use LA>ele drain after pet when it runs out
    Use Storm Atro/spell power pots on cooldown

Practice
    Buy a stack of spell power pots and practice on a 3m dummy to get familiar with the rotation. You want to get to a point that you can talk to someone without messing up the rotation because in real fights you'll need to pay attention on the boss mechanics. It will take some time to get a full 3m parse without mistakes but you'll get there eventually. Once you get the rotation down focus on weaving light attacks and bar swap cancel skills, you can find plenty in-depth videos explaining these mechanics.

Combat Metrics is a good way to analyze what each skill did during the parse. On skills like Liquid and Wall you want 100% up time. Curse and Pet Pulse should NOT have 100% up time because it means you missed the (last) dmg tick.

Srenndar/Action Duration Timer are useful addons to track the skill durations.

Weaving is everything. i have parsed 40k with around 600cp petsorc (before patch) AOE build with Lighting staff, no MA lightning, HA attacks, not every pieces were gold, not using pots all the time, using a "real" setup (that is, not cheese food or whatever, using the usual rotation ive done on trials/dungeons). The key was an easy and well known rotation plus somewhat good weaving, it´s what it will give you a DPS jump. Learn, practice, get some addons for helping (LightAttackHelper addon is <3 for practicing) and you will improve lots.
    Edited by Saril_Durzam on August 26, 2019 5:57PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 3M dummy is good to get started with when learning a rotation and how to weave.

You should be using the 6M and 21M dummies for serious parses.

Most raid groups want to see a 6M and/or 21M parse.
    Edited by Katahdin on August 27, 2019 5:37PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Sys7em
    Sys7em
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    bardx86 wrote: »
    God I'm sick of hearing game demi-gods claiming this is easy. I can trash mobs at 40-60k, kick dolmens and public dungeons solo, do some Craglorn group content solo (yeah, yeah, I know some of you can do this blindfolded), so I've got a few skills, but put be in front of a 3 ml test dummy and I can stand there buffing, de-buffing, laying down DoT's, and blasting with everything I've got while maintaining my resources and can still only manage about 10-12k at most. After 1700+ hours and a couple of DPS toons at 700+ CP, gold gear and staff, decent rotation skills, animation canceling (though I'm not really great at it) and I still comparably suck. Put me a vet dungeon where I'm running around trying to stay alive and my suckage meter goes up even further. As a result, I don't even try vet and any HM content as I'm tired of guys getting pissed and kicking me. Honestly, I'm doing the very best I can, but apparently there's something I'm missing? I have no clue how anyone can get even 20k out of a test dummy let alone maintain that level in a dungeon and/or trial. Am I forever doomed to an ESO life of suckage? :(

Ya im not sure how these guys claim 40k dps solo on a dummy. Someone show me a video of that. I feel like a have a decent handle on this game, meta gear, read just about the entire web on how to DPS on that stupid dummy. I can't get over 22k and I'm AC and weaving on my sorc. I could maybe squeak out another 2-3k dps if I was perfect in my rotation but getting over 30k doesn't seem possible. I was in the 10-12 range a few weeks ago, only ever PVP'ed in this game, but changing my skills to damage over time skills on top of direct damage made the difference to get to 20k.The trick is to have 2-3 damage over time skills always on the dummy then direct damage. Also make sure you have around 50% crit. Alcast site is a good starting point for PVE builds, at least it was for me.

I'm a scrub on a sorc. Here's 40k with a ridiculously simple heavy attack rotation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPMzWQhefaQ

Nice!
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God I'm sick of hearing game demi-gods claiming this is easy. I can trash mobs at 40-60k, kick dolmens and public dungeons solo, do some Craglorn group content solo (yeah, yeah, I know some of you can do this blindfolded), so I've got a few skills, but put be in front of a 3 ml test dummy and I can stand there buffing, de-buffing, laying down DoT's, and blasting with everything I've got while maintaining my resources and can still only manage about 10-12k at most. After 1700+ hours and a couple of DPS toons at 700+ CP, gold gear and staff, decent rotation skills, animation canceling (though I'm not really great at it) and I still comparably suck. Put me a vet dungeon where I'm running around trying to stay alive and my suckage meter goes up even further. As a result, I don't even try vet and any HM content as I'm tired of guys getting pissed and kicking me. Honestly, I'm doing the very best I can, but apparently there's something I'm missing? I have no clue how anyone can get even 20k out of a test dummy let alone maintain that level in a dungeon and/or trial. Am I forever doomed to an ESO life of suckage? :(

I think you really need to find a good guild/mentor to help you, given the position you are in.

There are plenty of guilds and people willing to help, you just need to find them.

I absolutely feel your frustration, as a couple of years or so ago I was unable to break 20k dps, but research, practice, appropriate builds and upgrades and levelling, have massively increased my DPS.

If you are already trying to implement all the various advice and guidance, then I would say you need physical help, as in someone to sit with you and watch, provide feedback and teach you, check your builds, gear, traits, enchants, weapons etc.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aelorin wrote: »

Congratz on your improvement.

Could you share your most important advice to improve?

I can get 32k on a magcro now (6mill dummy), but higher seems way out of reach now. I use Alcast's build, but i do not have the trail armor, replaced it with Mother Sorrow. I do not have Zaan, replaced it with Llambris.

My most recent improvements were: Use the crit potions, re-allocate the traits of the jewelry, better animation cancelling (before i did skill -> LA instead of LA -> skill) and I got the vMA staff, so that has improved my DPS a lot.

Still would love to get better though.

IMO, the most important advice:

1. Perfect LA weaving
    2. Develop a dynamic rotation that keeps the AOE's and DOT's on target and doing damage.
    3. Use gear/weapons/traits/enchants that help maximize damage.
    4. Whether it be pots and/or skills, keep as many damage buffs up as possible, particularly Major ones, (Sorcery, Prophecy, Brutality, Savagery)
    5. Practice, practice, practice, and more practice.
    6. Did I mention practicing?

:)
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sys7em wrote: »
    bardx86 wrote: »

Ya im not sure how these guys claim 40k dps solo on a dummy. Someone show me a video of that. I feel like a have a decent handle on this game, meta gear, read just about the entire web on how to DPS on that stupid dummy. I can't get over 22k and I'm AC and weaving on my sorc. I could maybe squeak out another 2-3k dps if I was perfect in my rotation but getting over 30k doesn't seem possible. I was in the 10-12 range a few weeks ago, only ever PVP'ed in this game, but changing my skills to damage over time skills on top of direct damage made the difference to get to 20k.The trick is to have 2-3 damage over time skills always on the dummy then direct damage. Also make sure you have around 50% crit. Alcast site is a good starting point for PVE builds, at least it was for me.

I'm a scrub on a sorc. Here's 40k with a ridiculously simple heavy attack rotation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPMzWQhefaQ

Nice!

Was easier than now, by the way, after Scalebreaker patch. Now HA builds go worse.
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you only hit about 12k it’s more likely a lvl of any build cohesion and understanding. Overworld content won’t prepare you for any real challenging content. I can solo a world boss, but normal vet adds are much harder. When you play overworld solo people tend to slot 50% utility moves and maybe the ground dot and a spamable. Some classes are far easier than others (looking at you mag sorc) but you need to first get yourself a full set of gear, I recommend crafted from a friend and maybe a set of cheeper off brand overland gear. Then get all of your passives and correct ability morphs before moving onto a 3 mil. Once you’ve decided on your skills look at alcast, xynode, or asiangod on YouTube for what a solid rotation looks like. Once you understand these things and what all goes into a build you will begin to tweak it to your own liking without having to give up damage. I started at 10k on my MagDk, and a year later I have it up to 45k on a 6 mil dummy without a single piece of group trial gear or dummy cheese food (mag/recovery food). Knowing how to play the class is just as important as having it geared and balanced.
    Edited by Austinseph1 on September 3, 2019 5:47AM
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rake wrote: »
    Thats because people with practiced rotations and adequate gear do 100k dps on raid dummy

Very, very, very few people though.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    Can you guys please, please stop showing this guy 3 million dummy burst parses? This is really annoying me, you can't tell someone who is has yet to get into rotations and endgame dps burst parses that completely drain their magicka within 80 seconds.

What he needs is longer videos with sustainable rotations that you can actually fully sustain.

For newer players in trials the magicka drain is usually a lot higher than for experienced players on magicka builds because they tend to shield themselves a lot more. So what they need is a decent buildt that makes it easy to adapt to mechanics, basically an endgame starter build. pet sorcs qualify for that the best because they have a lot of passive damage and can simply heavy attack as a spammable skill..

The rotation that @Liquidpony showed above is probably the best advice in here.

Here's what I do when I want to get a toon trial ready:

1. Conceptualise a build. Look at the duration of damage over time effects, ground aoes and think of the best way to align them.
    2. Fill the gaps with either a spammable skill or heavy attacks.
    3. Stand in front of a centurion dummy and kill it. Only way to see whether what you do is sustainable within a trial and 20 minutes of the same rotation will nail it into your head...

Right, the beautiful thing about that magsorc build is that resources are basically infinite, even without Ele Drain or Worm.

However, I would say that anything beyond the 6mil skeleton solo is a bit ridiculous ... not like you're asked to fight for 5 minutes straight in real game scenarios without shards or orbs or other synergies or support buffs.

Plus, for someone just starting to try to get their DPS up, the 3mil dummy is in fact a good way to practice and a good way to see results quickly. And this guy isn't trying to get a character "Trial ready" anyway; he's talking about getting his DPS up to a spot to do vet dungeons, so I think 3mil parses are totally appropriate here frankly.

Takes me less than 4 to take down a 21 million iron atro.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    Can you guys please, please stop showing this guy 3 million dummy burst parses? This is really annoying me, you can't tell someone who is has yet to get into rotations and endgame dps burst parses that completely drain their magicka within 80 seconds.

What he needs is longer videos with sustainable rotations that you can actually fully sustain.

For newer players in trials the magicka drain is usually a lot higher than for experienced players on magicka builds because they tend to shield themselves a lot more. So what they need is a decent buildt that makes it easy to adapt to mechanics, basically an endgame starter build. pet sorcs qualify for that the best because they have a lot of passive damage and can simply heavy attack as a spammable skill..

The rotation that @Liquidpony showed above is probably the best advice in here.

Here's what I do when I want to get a toon trial ready:

1. Conceptualise a build. Look at the duration of damage over time effects, ground aoes and think of the best way to align them.
    2. Fill the gaps with either a spammable skill or heavy attacks.
    3. Stand in front of a centurion dummy and kill it. Only way to see whether what you do is sustainable within a trial and 20 minutes of the same rotation will nail it into your head...

Right, the beautiful thing about that magsorc build is that resources are basically infinite, even without Ele Drain or Worm.

However, I would say that anything beyond the 6mil skeleton solo is a bit ridiculous ... not like you're asked to fight for 5 minutes straight in real game scenarios without shards or orbs or other synergies or support buffs.

Plus, for someone just starting to try to get their DPS up, the 3mil dummy is in fact a good way to practice and a good way to see results quickly. And this guy isn't trying to get a character "Trial ready" anyway; he's talking about getting his DPS up to a spot to do vet dungeons, so I think 3mil parses are totally appropriate here frankly.

Takes me less than 4 to take down a 21 million iron atro.

That's great but you're responding on a necro'd thread to a comment made 19 months ago before raid dummies existed.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is for all you kind and helpful people who, instead of insulting me and my pathetic skills, gave me encouragement and advice when I started this thread 19 months ago. At that time me and my 12k dps didn't know anything about dealing damage other and spamming a single skill. Back then, 40k felt absolutely impossible! But with your help and encouragement, I was elated when I was able to reach 20k!

Not bad for a dps going nowhere :)

50K.png

For all you struggling with dps...keep at it!! Time, knowledge, and practice DOES make a difference! :)
  • FatFred
    FatFred
    ✭✭✭
    I can pull 20K when I at cp 200+ ,with julianos , coa II monster sets and BSW , only golden weapons ,other gears remain purple. Hoe come a 700+ guy with golden gears can only hit 12k ?
    My tips for you is go to Alcast's website, copy his build and practice the rotation he gives you in the build , your problem will be solved as soon as you mastered the rotation.
  • red_bird
    red_bird
    ✭✭
    @FatFred just fyi this is an old thread that got necroed. The OP is now doing 50k dps, shown in a post above.
    pve on ps4
  • ShadowKyuubi
    ShadowKyuubi
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is only one way to really improve your dps as a DD. Practice. You can have the best gear in the game, but if you don't practice you won't get past 30k. It's even better if you have a mentor. Find a guildmate or friend who is will to teach you the nitty, gritty details. That is how I learned, I posted CMX reports in discord and asked what I was doing wrong. I also spent hours on end, just practicing. When I learned something new, I practiced that until I got it right. Eventually, things like light attack weaving and animation cancelling become muscle memory and the only thing you have to worry about it when to apply your next dot.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Shantu Not to make you feel bad since I don't play a mag. Sorcerer too often. However, I leveled one up to help a friend get over the 12-15k DPS hurdle. This was the gear setup that I used:

Helm Set: Maws of the Infernal
    Armor Sets: Bright-Throat and Mother's Sorrow
    Weapons (Infused, Fire/Lightning or Fire/Fire staves, Mother's Sorrow)

Edited: I used prismatic glyph on all the armor pieces b/c I wanted to use Max. Mag/Mag. Recovery drink and wanted to buff my health and stamina. My HE character has 17k health w/o food and 40k magicka.

DOT Bar: Deadric Prey, Liquid Lightning, Unstable Wall, Twilight Tormentor, Bound Aegis Ult. Shooting Star
    DD Bar: Crystal Frags, Elemental Weapon, Dark Conversion, Twilight Tormentor, Bound Aegis Ult. Shooting Star

The elemental weapon is your spam to trigger crystal frags, dark conversion is there because the rotation moves quick; and unless you have a handle on resource management...I use it to parse in extra recovery.

Other than that, the basics here helped a couple friends parse over 25k; I'm sure it can be streamlined but it was meant to provide them a start point to adapt/evolve their game play better than my PT mag. Sorcerer play.

My one advice to practicing is to begin with running one bar at a time. This will help you iron out your keyboarding muscle memory, so the sequence moves more smoothly. Then, you begin combining the two bars together to create your damage rotation sequence. The purpose for practicing with one bar at a time is to slow you down to weave light attacks in-between skill execution - as you get the key/attack sequence down, you'll speed the rotation up.

Getting better at parsing damage takes practice and building a sequence of attacks, where the first skill's duration lasts long enough to execute other skills before returning to the skill to refresh its DOT/Buff/whatever. Also, don't feel bad for parses on light armored 3 mil. target dummies, their numbers may be lower on the 6 mil. or exaggerated using the vet trials dummy.
    Edited by Sahidom on September 14, 2019 11:13AM