Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Oceanic Lag now 300-400 ms even with a vpn - was 250-300??

• Skarbrand666
    Skarbrand666
    ✭✭✭
    Have you? it appears to have gotten worse, actually
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t know, today was pretty bad again, even stuff that doesn’t usually lag (selene’s web) was lagging pretty bad
  • chexor
    chexor
    ✭✭✭
    Just to give everyone an update, we've been making some adjustments over the past week and have been seeing some improvements, though we're continuing to look for other ways to optimize. Thanks for all the ongoing information and patience!

Since last week there are plenty of reports that people from EU have been encountering ping spike during prime time, do you think there is some kind of connection with your "adjustments"?
    This started happening around 1 week ago, and it is only in ESO.

I made a post with VIDEO where i play/ping 5 to 6 other online games/servers, and only ping issue i have is in ESO (during prime time).

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/492755/eso-high-ping-tested-on-video-i-am-reaching-their-first-server-with-30ping
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to give everyone an update, we've been making some adjustments over the past week and have been seeing some improvements, though we're continuing to look for other ways to optimize. Thanks for all the ongoing information and patience!
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Since a lot of replies are going to be saying nothing is changed. It is back to normal on my end.
    #MOREORBS
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to be getting worse, not better @ZOS_GinaBruno
    More dc and freeze and blue screened x5 more often, in trials keeps dc and serious lag that I didn’t have experienced before prior to few days ago, and 5-6 people will get dc’d at the same time in trial every boss.
    In every trial, not just mine, guildies said the same. Just started these few days.
    PS4 na.
    Pc na
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    My in game latency is still doing much better since my last message. I did say my connection was fixed but that is not true. The latency is about 20ms worse than i have ever had in ESO. About 290-320 ms during majority of the time. I used to fluctuate only about 5-10ms prior to us getting the Akamai latency increase a few months back. Spikes have been happening a lot at Akamai and ZOS IP addresses in the route since the latency drop around the weekend. Very large spikes and happen quite often being every 1 to 3 minutes. Not all connections currently in use by ZOS are equal. Far to often disconnections are noticeably more common with this new route. It started around the time the event started and i am waiting for that to end so i can test further to see if we are stuck with it or not. The far to often spikes i see in PingPlotter show that things like trial and PvP fights will result in increased stuttering and disconnections. Well beyond acceptable, fun or worth playing. I fully expect to get the usual 100ms increase during those types of fights as per always. All other games i get 220-230ms for NA gaming servers. During the entire time the game has been out i have only had very rare moments of the in game latency turning white. My connection is optimal and does not suffer from things like packet loss ever inside of my own country. This cheaper method of using Akamai for gaming is definitely below acceptable quality for multiple reasons. Routing through Japan in the past works out better. That is tolerable and the best to date having very rare disconnections and no noticeable stuttering. Not Hong Kong, China. The cost cutting of using Akamai instead of in house DDOS protection like other games run by much smaller companies is...yeah. Far to many people have left this game purely because of the latency alone. That has contributed largely to things like PvP being ruined by allowing the campaign with the most players online at that time to have a major advantage in the campaign. That is just 1 of a lot of examples. Even my guild hall is only missing Elsweyr set stations and no way i will pay for that (sorry guildies). Heck, I largely demoted myself as a gm this 2nd time because the game is unplayable and not online enough because of it. I will not pay anything until i know a large amount of other people in the same time zone are back in game. I have very little hope still. Even This thread is very quiet with views, reactions and responses compared to what it was even after all this happening. There is a lot less players from this side of the world in ESO.

We NEED more improvements!
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no noticeable change to ping times at my end (NZ). Still sits between 330-350ms.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • twitch_zero
    twitch_zero
    ✭✭✭

As has been stated many many times its not about optimisation its about Akamai. Optimisation won't help when Akamai sends oceanic packets backward before going to the actual servers.
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw an improvement last night. Ping was at 340-380, so about a 100ms improvement. On sunday night it was slightly better than that.

Still running a vpn though. Ping at 280-310 with vpn.
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant tell what my ping is like on xbox, but i have noticed a huge improvement for me lag wise. Can finally do vet trials again and even bgs.

Edit: not to say that the improvements im seeing are happening to everyone else. But i hope zos continue with the improvements for all platforms.
    Edited by gronoxvx on September 10, 2019 12:14AM
  • twitch_zero
    twitch_zero
    ✭✭✭
    mrpaxman wrote: »
    This cheaper method of using Akamai for gaming is definitely below acceptable quality for multiple reasons. Routing through Japan in the past works out better. That is tolerable and the best to date having very rare disconnections and no noticeable stuttering. Not Hong Kong, China. The cost cutting of using Akamai instead of in house DDOS protection like other games run by much smaller companies is...yeah.

I have asked the question before about other DDOS solutions and this is the first time I have seen confirmation that in house DDOS solutions are available. It explains why ESO is the only game I have seen with the issues it has with its DDOS protection. I wonder if there are contractual issues and why ZOS seemingly can't pressure Akamai into improving its performance.
  • Voltranox
    Voltranox
    ✭✭✭
    Was 500. Now 400. Used to be 300.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordGavus wrote: »
    I saw an improvement last night. Ping was at 340-380, so about a 100ms improvement. On sunday night it was slightly better than that.

Not that the overloaded servers are in a good state, because they aren't, but I would highly recommend against using a VPN while gaming online if you already have higher latency without using it. I can understand using one while browsing Internet sites and what not for privacy, but using one with any online game WILL under most circumstances cause lag spikes and increase your latency and make everything perform worse, not better...
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that the overloaded servers are in a good state, because they aren't, but I would highly recommend against using a VPN while gaming online if you already have higher latency without using it. I can understand using one while browsing Internet sites and what not for privacy, but using one with any online game WILL under most circumstances cause lag spikes and increase your latency and make everything perform worse, not better...

Jut about anything that bypasses the gigantic Akamai roadblock is going to be faster than what we have now. It's far too soon to be giving up on Mudfish.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would highly recommend using vpn to fix the akamai shenanigans.

Yes the vpn will add its own latency and spikes, but i can 100% confirm that 280ms with a vpn if far better than 500ms without.

We are not trying to shave off 10-20ms here. We are fixing a 200+ms detour.
    Edited by LordGavus on September 11, 2019 12:13AM
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not exactly true, depends how stable it is when connecting to a certain node, you can also see all the ping spikes with mudfish and there are very few.

as for ping without a vpn
    fr4ulN0.png

it really is fixed now, not sure what some of the problems some of you are having now
    #MOREORBS
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    My latency was white for the first time in over a year!
    I actually had consistent below 300 ms ping (about 260 stable) with a VPN even in Cyrodil on 8th Sept Au time. It dropped even without a VPN by 150-200MS down to low 300's. The first fix was noticeable. Lots of Aussies and even Europeans in my PvP guild commented on the performance improvement.

However it reverted two days ago: was hovering around 400 again open world PvE with a VPN off peak US yesterday (11th Sept Au time.) Whatever you did on the weekend my time helped. Whatever you did subsequently (Monday patch?) broke it again.

Do you want more pingplots/traces in this thread now we have 2 way communication?
    Edited by aetherial_heavenn on September 11, 2019 2:53AM
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • spectre303
    spectre303
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by spectre303 on September 11, 2019 5:47AM
    Ebonheart Pact ♦ NA ♦ CP 2230
    Ra'Sta ♦ ♛Sergeant Stadanko ♦ ♛Napolèon Dynamite ♦ Brunhilda the Green ♦ ♛Call me Al ♦ Joe ♦ Stadanko's Ghost
    Jan-Michael Vincent ♦ Mòrty ♦ Redmer ♦ Durban Diesel ♦ ♛ßecky ♦ Stadanko Jr ♦ Lòzen ♦ Guillermo De la Cruz ♦ Gìnger ♦ Rasta ♦ Gozer
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No change yet. Still waiting for it to revert back to pre-September 2018 speeds. :(
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • ajm1946
    ajm1946
    ✭✭✭
    No difference from NZL
  • LuckyLuke
    LuckyLuke
    ✭✭✭
    This past week I have been experiencing a more consistent ping in the white zone (<300). There are still spikes into the black zone (>500) at random times, and consistently whenever changing zones until it settles back into the white.

I usually get a 20-100ms reduction when using NordVPN.

I am no techspurt, I just casually look at the in game latency indicator which may not be as responsive as other measures. I question the accuracy because often times it can be in the low white (260 is my best average) when I unlock a chest soundlessly and then run into a building opening a door and engage an alchemy station. At which point I then hear the chest opening/closing sound effect and receive the legerdemain skill update for the chest that I had opened outside the building. That is just a tad mind numbing, and may not be lag related.

Anyways, I do like the apparent recent improvement in latency for me. I hope that it will remain this consistent into the future , so that I might venture into group dungeons and Cyrodiil again soon.
  • theslynx
    theslynx
    ✭✭✭
    Getting around 320-400ms now, compared to 500ms a week prior. But in past years, it was 200ms. Other titles with servers in the US ~140-200ms.

I suppose that's an improvement. But again, have upgraded my connection to fibre, got new router, done all the troubleshooting steps ZoS recommends, opened ports, etc. Short of moving to another continent, there's nothing more to do on this end, and it's still uncomfortably laggy and unenjoyable.

ZoS: Appreciate that someone is apparently trying something, but it's just not sufficient. If Akamai is the cause, please consider ditching it or leaning on them to improve performance dramatically. As a player who has spent on Crowns, plus, DLC and more over many years, current performance just isn't good enough to consider purchasing anything.
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If eso cant get down to 195ms for me... I aint coming back and not spending anymore money with zenimax.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump
  • Jipsey
    Jipsey
    ✭✭
    finally cancelled my sub,might rejoin in the future, but it's hard to remain interested in a game when you can't take part in more challenging content due to poor performance.
  • badamarclayrwb17_ESO
    My ping appears to be fixed finally. Will wait and see how long it lasts though could just be luck. down to 255ms (still not amazing compared to others mmos) from 450ms i was having for last 2 months. this is from NZ, so in a playable state for me.
  • Mirelurk
    Mirelurk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Played tonight ... varied between 270-290 without a VPN ... that's playable. Not optimal, but playable.

Not sure if I should be happy cos it was something like 225 when we got the first in-game ping meter.

It does seem that they have actually done some stuff to help. Pity it took almost over 1000 posts and many un-subs for them to take us seriously.
    Knights of Nirn | Daggerfall Covenant | PC | NA server

Swamplurk | V16 | Breton | Sorceror
    Morass | V16 | Breton | Templar
    Knightmire | V16 | Imperial | Dragonknight
    Catagory | V9 | Khajit | Nightblade

• MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirelurk wrote: »
    Played tonight ... varied between 270-290 without a VPN ... that's playable. Not optimal, but playable.

Not sure if I should be happy cos it was something like 225 when we got the first in-game ping meter.

It does seem that they have actually done some stuff to help. Pity it took almost over 1000 posts and many un-subs for them to take us seriously.

That's awesome for you. Keep a close eye on it. I'm sure you will.

I wish mine was better, but it has not changed and is still ~350ms. (from NZ.)
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • Mirelurk
    Mirelurk
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome for you. Keep a close eye on it. I'm sure you will.

I wish mine was better, but it has not changed and is still ~350ms. (from NZ.)

I'm not resubbing or getting my hopes up too much until I'm sure it's working ... for all of us
    Knights of Nirn | Daggerfall Covenant | PC | NA server

Swamplurk | V16 | Breton | Sorceror
    Morass | V16 | Breton | Templar
    Knightmire | V16 | Imperial | Dragonknight
    Catagory | V9 | Khajit | Nightblade

• Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    unknown.png

Not fixed.
    270 with a vpn