Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dear Magsorcs...

• FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I “adapted” by putting soul trap and entropy on my bar and not even running a spammable. You literally don’t need one. I still haven’t mastered the new setup. I hope dots and magplar get nerfed next patch because although this new playstyle has its perks, it doesn’t matter if you can’t ever go offensive because your shields get eaten up in one second by all the Templars out there. And even if you do go offensive you’ll be perma snared and immobilized

Should've rerolled your MagSorc to StamSorc. Life would be much easier for you.
  • VVashton
    VVashton
    Soul Shriven
    A good MagSorc adapts, a trash player switches class, usually to the meta 🙄.

But for those who need some MagSorc help this patch, curse-eater with dark conversion/blessing of protection is your answer, works well with bright throat/crafty.

In all honestly, the only way you’ll survive this patch is with curse eater unless you can purge of course 👍🏻
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sorc changed a bit. I used to use only crit surge to geal and loaded my bars with offense/ utility. Did pretty good.

I use healing ward now and operate more with dots to aid my burst.

Wrath, rune cage, hardened ward, reach, frag

Entropy, healing ward, curse, lightning form, ball of lightning
  • PapaWeeb
    PapaWeeb
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why the hell should crit surge have maj sorc?
    It never did.
    Just like molten armaments does not have maj brutality.

Are you aware of a skill called igneous weapons that gives maj brut and sorc and NOTHING else?
    Nobody has done anything about it for years.
    Why on earth should crit surge get maj sorc?

Just because igneous weapons is a crappy skill, doesn't mean that other skills should be equally crappy.

How about you go petition to add major brutality to the base morph of molten weapons, and ask for something useful on igneous? Or would you prefer to drag other skills down to that level?
    PC EU
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don’t worry Sorcs are still bunny hopping around Cyrodiil no problem.
  • PapaWeeb
    PapaWeeb
    ✭✭✭✭
    The increased cost of wards suck but magSorc still kicks ass. Streak is even more potent now.

Chudan + Bright Throat + Alfiq. Destro + S&B. Tri stat drink

Streak, frag, crushing shock, curse, ele drain, meteor
    Surge, dark deal, degen, ward, dampen, temporal guard.

Losing passive heals from lightning form + surge sucks, but degeneration's DoT kinda takes care of that. It's a stat dense build, chudan is basically a 5pc on its own
    PC EU
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just made a magsorc so wouldn’t know anything different. A brilliant class still
  • chris25602
    chris25602
    ✭✭✭
    honestly I don't usually pay attention to updates like this but, I have not made any major changes to my build in quite a while.

I run force pulse, curse, frags, wrath, magelight, on front
    boundless, ward, surge, harness, streak on back

the biggest adjustments I have had to make over the years is that you really can't play magsorc in a straight dmg dealer role anymore. You have to harass and burst on opportunity. Its more like a ganking/rogue class now. I would prefer to be able to participate in straightforward fights but with the current state of the class and all the directions its going in...it doesn't look like us magsorcs will get invited back to the front lines any time soon. ***solo/zerg cyro play perspective
  • Daemonai
    Daemonai
    ✭✭✭✭
    People who claim magsorc suck are just fishing for buffs.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daemonai wrote: »
    People who claim magsorc suck are just fishing for buffs.

Or just not enjoying it, even when competitive some playstyles and limitations just aren't fun. And many of the changes to the class in the last 18-24 months are neither fun nor logical but the class has had fazes of competitiveness in between. Rune cage patch for example, broke and OP but still not enjoyable to play.

Also... People saying sorcs are OP are just fishing for nerfs by that logic...
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from Critical Surge not having Major Sorcery everything's fine, but that really one thing is truly horrible and makes no sense.
    No sense at all.
    Senseless.

Why would they get rid of sorcs major sorcery? Literally pointless
  • Cerotonin
    Cerotonin
    ✭✭✭
    It’s still a playable class. Not as easy as before, but I’m sure people can adapt. It still hits and executes pretty well.

I can see why people complain though. A class that isn’t OP isn’t worth playing, right? If you want to have an easier time killing your opponents, play a Templar. It’s a less challenging class anyways.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PapaWeeb wrote: »
    The increased cost of wards suck but magSorc still kicks ass. Streak is even more potent now.

Losing passive heals from lightning form + surge sucks, but degeneration's DoT kinda takes care of that. It's a stat dense build, chudan is basically a 5pc on its own

Very good build. Chudan is worth discussing, however.
    It's a useful monster set, sure. Many are useless these days, Chudan is not. Is it the best choice, though? It gives you another skill slot, some health and a bit more than half of major resist buffs.
    For sorcs, Boundless is the skill that Chudan saves us. Boundless also gives us mobility, which Chudan doesn't. Mobility is quite important! Refreshing Boundless sucks, but getting mobility is worth that, IMO.
    Next, the health. A bit more health is nice, but it actually doesn't affect my shield size. It's just a bit more health, which is probably my weakest, most insignificant form of survival. Shields and heals get used way more.
    The resists are about 5% damage mitigation. Not bad, but not equal to a five-piece at all.
    Still, overall a good set.

Have you tried Bloodspawn?
    Stamina sustain for breaking stuns and roots, converting into magicka or blocking/dodging for mitigation. It's quite useful and flexible.
    The ult gen is, again, very flexible. Can use it for offensive ultimates, defensive ones, or even resource-generating ones (Undo).
    And lastly, the resistance buff. With all the DoTs around, it has good uptime. The buff itself equals about double that of Chudan's one-piece. And unlike health, resistances affect health, shields and even healing (so to say).
    I'd say Bloodspawn is more like a five-piece. Worth checking out!
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    chris25602 wrote: »
    honestly I don't usually pay attention to updates like this but, I have not made any major changes to my build in quite a while.

I run force pulse, curse, frags, wrath, magelight, on front
    boundless, ward, surge, harness, streak on back

the biggest adjustments I have had to make over the years is that you really can't play magsorc in a straight dmg dealer role anymore. You have to harass and burst on opportunity. Its more like a ganking/rogue class now. I would prefer to be able to participate in straightforward fights but with the current state of the class and all the directions its going in...it doesn't look like us magsorcs will get invited back to the front lines any time soon. ***solo/zerg cyro play perspective

Been running Jorvuld's + skooma smuggler build for 100% major expedition uptime plus streak makes for a fun gurrilla fighting or poke and break for it build.
  • bulcke10
    bulcke10
    ✭✭✭

What is you're mag rec? Unbuffed
  • Kosbert
    Kosbert
    ✭✭
    Only Magsorcs complaining are people who copying Dotzz or Alcast Builds, and doing nothing more then sticking with 30 others together in Cyrodil ;)
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagSorcs are balanced this patch and I love it. They actually have to spec for heals and shields rather than just being full damage and getting free heals and unlimited shields.

Still difficult to deal with and can Streak from Summerset to Morrowind with ease, but that's the only thing that needs changing.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThePedge wrote: »
    Still difficult to deal with [...], but that's the only thing that needs changing.

That's what I read.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Shhh....
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    ThePedge wrote: »
    Still difficult to deal with [...], but that's the only thing that needs changing.

That's what I read.

Classic brainlet
  • Diarf
    Diarf
    ✭✭✭
    Fine. <shrug>
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag sorc is back to being a potato farming class.

The hardened ward cost increase has messed up the class big time. Meanwhile the "harness is a carry" sorcs have conveniently switched their main or getting farmed like a potato
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The hardened ward cost increase has messed up the class big time. Meanwhile the "harness is a carry" sorcs have conveniently switched their main or getting farmed like a potato

I think Harness is fine now and should have been like this from the start. It would still make its way into the meta moveset if Hardened alone wasn't so damn weak now. By nerfing Hardened's shield value, you now need to stack high-capacity shields and you need to stack them harder. Another balancing mistake.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

I think Harness is fine now and should have been like this from the start. It would still make its way into the meta moveset if Hardened alone wasn't so damn weak now. By nerfing Hardened's shield value, you now need to stack high-capacity shields and you need to stack them harder. Another balancing mistake.

Adding resists to shields was a big mistake IMO. Capping shields is another one. Kills build diversity. Still no reliable heal. Inspite of the rapid regen and surge buff the bird heals for more. Figure that out !

You could adjust harness resource gain in 1v1. I dont see a reason why it should have been nerfed while fighting zergs. I can one shot most sorcs through hardened ward so sorc needs to constantly shield stack. Need to sacrifice too much damage rn. I wouldn't have had a issue if they buffed sustain before nerfing harness
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on September 12, 2019 12:06AM
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Adding resists to shields was a big mistake IMO. Capping shields is another one. Kills build diversity. Still no reliable heal. Inspite of the rapid regen and surge buff the bird heals for more. Figure that out !

You could adjust harness resource gain in 1v1. I dont see a reason why it should have been nerfed while fighting zergs. Sustain is huge problem right now. Need to sacrifice too much damage rn.

What is a MagSorc? I forgot they exist.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You could adjust harness resource gain in 1v1. I dont see a reason why it should have been nerfed while fighting zergs. I can one shot most sorcs through hardened ward so sorc needs to constantly shield stack. Need to sacrifice too much damage rn. I wouldn't have had a issue if they buffed sustain before nerfing harness

Rapid Regen would be fine if it didn't require a weak support weapon and was guaranteed to hit you. Sorcs would maybe drop the second shield for it, especially in this DoT meta. But when I really need to defend myself, I'm not risking my second defense to wander to a rando.

Harness was very overpowered against magicka builds while also very lackluster against stamina. Sorcs didn't have many issues here thanks to Hardened, but other mag classes? On my magblade, I could sustain against magicka builds with Harness but always cursed myself when meeting a stamina player. It functioned almost like a hard counter, and those typically make for very binary and boring situations.

I could somewhat live with resistances for shields, made the corresponding sets interesting. Health cap, if the numbers are balanced, is also acceptable. Makes health and health sets more valuable. I can also gloss over the fact, if grinding teeth, that shields can be crit, but cannot crit themselves like heals. At least they're a guaranteed burst "heal".
    But increasing the cost AND nerfing the strength while introducing the DoT meta, soft-counter to shields, just overstepped it. That's three nerfs in one patch, quite excessive. And it shows.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a useful monster set, sure. Many are useless these days, Chudan is not. Is it the best choice, though? It gives you another skill slot, some health and a bit more than half of major resist buffs.
    For sorcs, Boundless is the skill that Chudan saves us. Boundless also gives us mobility, which Chudan doesn't. Mobility is quite important! Refreshing Boundless sucks, but getting mobility is worth that, IMO.
    Next, the health. A bit more health is nice, but it actually doesn't affect my shield size. It's just a bit more health, which is probably my weakest, most insignificant form of survival. Shields and heals get used way more.
    The resists are about 5% damage mitigation. Not bad, but not equal to a five-piece at all.

Stamina sustain for breaking stuns and roots, converting into magicka or blocking/dodging for mitigation. It's quite useful and flexible.
    The ult gen is, again, very flexible. Can use it for offensive ultimates, defensive ones, or even resource-generating ones (Undo).
    And lastly, the resistance buff. With all the DoTs around, it has good uptime. The buff itself equals about double that of Chudan's one-piece. And unlike health, resistances affect health, shields and even healing (so to say).

Boundless is a lackluster skill compared to it´s alternatives - chudan is a lackluster set compared to it´s alternatives.

There´s no real argument to be made for either way from my perspective. Sadly playing without one or the other is even worse.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Boundless is a lackluster skill compared to it´s alternatives - chudan is a lackluster set compared to it´s alternatives.

There´s no real argument to be made for either way from my perspective. Sadly playing without one or the other is even worse.

Boundless could be better, sure. But that mobility is quite useful.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boundless is ok IMO since the cost reduction. Now here's hoping they don't increase the cost again next patch because of its crazy 5m radius AOE DOT component.
    Edited by Bergzorn on September 12, 2019 1:36PM
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    Boundless is ok IMO since the cost reduction. Now here's hoping they don't increase the cost again next patch because of its crazy 5m radius AOE DOT component.

Shhh! Don't give 'em ideas!
    >x3

@Derra
    Asked the other way round: what skill would you slot in your free slot with Chudan? Fury? Drain? Something else?