The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Getting Stronger for a Fight

Doctor_David
So I'm having trouble with the dragon in Jode's Core. In WOW I would have gained a few levels to make easier. But here we have level scaling.

Now I'm sure better equipment helps.

But does acquiring more skill points, by leveling, and spending them help? Or does the scaling undo that.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leveling, making sure your gear is close to your level, and having more skills will help.

I don't know much about how new you are, so if this is going over the basics you already know, I'm sorry.

Leveling up will help in that you'll have more skills available and more attribute points. Attribute points are important because you'll want either magicka or stamina. Your light attacks and skilis will scale with whichever resource they cost. So bows and other weapons and stamina skills get stronger the more stamina you have. Staffs and magicka skills get stronger the more magicka you have. You'll also want more of your resource so you don't run out as fast, though light attacking costs no resources and heavy attacking restores the resouce type of the weapon.

Equipment is important mostly because the benefits of battleleveling scale off your gear. You'll get better benefits from gear and especially weapons that are close to your level.

More skills depends on where you are at level wise and your class. In all honesty, it kinda depends on whether your main problem is running out of your resources to fight, just not doing enough damage, or needing more healing...and then what skills or passives you can pick up in the next levels. That may be something you'll have to decide.

If yiu want more specific help, we might be able to help you with more information about your class and your desired build.

Again speaking generally, my advice for story bosses is as follows:
    Before the Boss Fight
    1. Use a food buff if you haven't already. (I didnt use one for ages when I was a new player.)
    2. Check that your gear is repaired and close to your level to get the most benefits from battleleveling. Weapons are the most important, followed by armor.
    3. Pick stamina or magicka to go with your skills and your weapons. Hybrids really struggle without specific builds.
    4. Figure out how you are going to heal yourself. Potions? A self-healing skill? Defensive skills? It depends on your build and class, but you'll want some way to heal. DW has good self heals for stamina if your class doesnt have any, most magicka classes have a self heal or access to resto staff.

During the Boss Fight
    1. If you are running out of resources, its probably because you are casting too many skills too fast. Use light attacks to do free damage. Use heavy attacks to regain resources. Make sure you always have enough resources to cast your self-heal, even over damage. Treat it like an endurance fight, not a race. True the fight goes quicker and easier with higher DPS, but its a balance. Can't DPS if you are dead :)
    2. If you are dying too quickly, look for ways to mitigate damage. Dodge roll out of AOEs, block big attacks, and interrupt mechanics when you can. Finally, self heal proactively before you realise you are in trouble.
    3. If you just aren't doing enough damage, try layering damage over time skills in with your hard hitting skills and your light attacks. Light attacks were buffed substantially a year ago and make for free, but painful damage.

Hope that helps!
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Level scaling can hurt in this game, but you can also use it to your advantage. If you have level appropriate gear at low levels, you can have much higher stats than a similarly geared max level player. You are given higher stats in order to compensate for fewer skills unlocked and fewer points to spend on them. If you can manage to get two 5 pc sets and a 2 pc set at your level at blue quality (purple for weapons if you can afford it), you should be able to hit a very simple rotation (or just spam one skill over and over again depending on the build) and do fairly well.
  • Doctor_David
    I get the point about gear. And the advice on tactics is good.

But to the point of my question, if I go up a level, and gain stat and skill points, do I get stronger wrt to the monster? Or does scaling just compensate for that?
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But to the point of my question, if I go up a level, and gain stat and skill points, do I get stronger wrt to the monster? Or does scaling just compensate for that?

You will get numerically weaker. Your health will be lower. You gain skill points that should give you more options and in that way, increase your power. You might be able to put 4 skills into a rotation instead of just 1 or 2.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When you level up, you'll get less benefits from battleleveling. Its supposed to compensate for the new power in skills and passives, but it can be uneven because it really scales more from your gear than from your level. If your gear and weapons are much lower than your level, for example, you'll be squishy AF and hit like a wet noodle even though you've got good skills.

Depending on what skills, passives, and attributes you pick up, that might be worth it or it might not. You'll have to be the judge of that since you know your build and what skills you can pick up next. If you've got a good set of self-healing, damaging,a nd defensive skills and a weapon to match, you may not need more than that. But if you are missing a self-heal or something that you can pick up in a level or two, it might be worth going for it. You be the judge.

If you think you can do it with your current skills, I'd recommend focusing on buffing yourself with food, potions, and gear/weapons that are close to your level.
  • SpankinDamob
    SpankinDamob
    ✭✭✭
    Plus a lot of the passives you use skill points in increase damage done / decrease damage taken. Increase resource regen, resistances. After I didn’t the quests on main, I’ve pretty much level all characters going around getting sky shards and queuing for dungeons I have got the skill point from
  • Doctor_David
    So I guess taking the time to level is uncertain.

If I get a skill point, should I use it on the clothing so I can try and make better gear?
  • SpankinDamob
    SpankinDamob
    ✭✭✭
    Alcast.com has great guides for the class level by level.

Edited to add link. https://alcasthq.com/eso-beginner-guides/

This thread too. I’ve been playing awhile and found it helpful

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/463020/golden-clover-beginners-guide/p1
    Edited by SpankinDamob on September 8, 2019 1:53AM
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried going to the gym? Planet Fitness is just ten bucks a month.
  • Doctor_David
    I have to say, in WOW, I would get just some levels and come back.

ESO overdoes this scaling thing...
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say, in WOW, I would get just some levels and come back.

ESO overdoes this scaling thing...

ESO used to do that, pre One Tamriel, to the point that it was a little silly. I was getting my butt handed to me by Blaze and Ragebinder, two stonefalls quest bosses, at the intended level 9, so I leveled up to 11, came back, and wiped the floor with them no sweat.

The flip side of that was that any content lower than you was pointless, you could outlevel base game quests if you did DLC quests before you finished your faction, and if you tried to tackle NPCs a few levels above you, you started hitting an artificial miss chance penalty designed to keep you on track. It was quite the railroad.

So with One Tamriel, we accepted some weirdness in the leveling system in exchange for the freedom to play however and wherever we want, whenever we want.

I've never played WoW nor do I care to, so I can't really comment there.
  • SpankinDamob
    SpankinDamob
    ✭✭✭
    It really isn’t that bad. A lot of your strength comes from learning your class and what spells to use in different situations. I do remember when I first started I was getting pwn’d on my stam blade. I recently started on my Xbox eu server when the NA One was having trouble. So was back to playing without champion points. Honestly I enjoyed it more. Could go through most my rotation on overland mobs. Like I said though was still a lot easier than when I started cause I knew how to set my character up for solo play.

Another good way to get gear ever so often is farm chests in the newbie island. After a bit you’ll have a 5 piece training set. Plus it’s good do opening the chests.

This thread is amazing for learning chest spawn locations

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/304405/map-chest-locations-for-console-users/p1
  • Doctor_David
    When the advice is "learn you character better", it is for me "grind it forever".

I'm not the fastest at the mouse and keyboard. Playing until I getter better either says "you will be fighting the same boss, over and over, forever" or "yes you simply aren't good enough to play this game, give it up".

There needs to be some way for players of modest skill to get through quests or you have to give them (and their revenue) up.

BTW, level scaling is a wonderful thing, but I'm not sold on the idea that _everything_ scales.