The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Best Tank Class

JusticeForJilarga
JusticeForJilarga
✭✭✭
What Class would make the best tank out of all available? This one is making a tank and would like to know the best class to choose. (DragonKnight if possible.)
Leader Of The Children Of Razum Dar Guild (Khajiit Guild) on All 6 MegaServers

Khajiit Quote Of The Day.
"These useless senche could only kill a rat if they fell upon it. From a great height."
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dk is the easiest to tank on and right with NB tanks as wanted in endgame trials for pve but every class can be a compinat tank, it is really player skill that makes the biggest difference these days.
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the real deal for tanking is dk (perfect skillset,great usability, demand, reasonable skillcap)

of course if you have uber skill you can tank on whatever...but for start take dk
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best Tank would easily be a Nord Dragonknight, but most things from Tanking comes from Player Skill
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • SpearDusk
    SpearDusk
    ✭✭✭
    Dk is the traditional, however I like the skills and animations of the warden tank as well
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Class would make the best tank out of all available? This one is making a tank and would like to know the best class to choose. (DragonKnight if possible.)

I have a Warden Nord tank, an DK Imperial tank and a Necromancer Ork off tank/dps hybrid.

They are all awesome but the DK does feel more... tanky. The Warden to be fair is a close 2nd and feels really good to use, I actually enjoy playing him more than the DK. The Necro is a bit of a different kind of tank and not really comparable (the way I play it/build it), its great fun though.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    dk is the easiest to tank on and right with NB tanks as wanted in endgame trials for pve but every class can be a compinat tank, it is really player skill that makes the biggest difference these days.

NB? Why? Major Evasion? Extra damage reduction from the Grim Focus/Merciless Resolve skill? Good sustain? Fear (but isn't Turn Evil a competitive alternative now?)? Self heal from Cloak? Self heal from Reaper's Mark? Damage reduction and/or healing ultimates?

Which matter and which don't? When I theorycraft NB tanks the skillbars get awfully crowded.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on September 2, 2019 9:23AM
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »

NB? Why? Major Evasion? Extra damage reduction from the Grim Focus/Merciless Resolve skill? Good sustain? Fear (but isn't Turn Evil a competitive alternative now?)? Self heal from Cloak? Self heal from Reaper's Mark? Damage reduction and/or healing ultimates?

Which matter and which don't? When I theorycraft NB tanks the skillbars get awfully crowded.

because of hemorrhage, 6% more weapon crit for the 8 stam necro dps. tanking is pretty easy in the game, so it is the passives that you bring to the group that makes tanks viable to endgame players. everything mentioned is all right for tanking but it is really just that extra 6% weapon crit that makes them attractive to endgame groups. having a DK tank, NB tank, means you can put a templar and a warden as healers, where those classes currently make the most sense, and still get their buffs where they are best used(power of the light for the temp and monro toughness for wardens)

here is a good video on what i am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsfZeC4AnW8

here is a good video about nb tanks-

https://youtu.be/bKEmWgVZejI?t=11
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on September 2, 2019 9:47AM
  • Vicarra
    Vicarra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best class depends really on what content you want to do. If you want to do trials, probably DK is the primary choice since the class does most of the heavy lifting for you. They can be almost unkillable, and with endless sustain and huge self heals. However, they are also very easy to play and don't provide much of a challenge.

NB and warden make excellent tanks, but are more tricky to play. Magicka templar and necromancer are similar in feel with the ability to heal the group in emergencies, and necro has a lot of ulti regeneration which makes them a great choice for trial off tanks (for uptime on warhorn). Sorc is undoubtedly the most difficult class to play as a tank, but can be fun because of the challenge. Any of those are more fun (in my opinion) than DK since they each require more skill and the player has to make up for the missing utility.
    PAWS - Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff!

Haakon Stormblade - Nord Illusionist, Dwemer scholar, Horse Whisperer, Bringer of Storms
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP didn't say for what purpose

PUG normal speed pledges? Anything that can taunt, debuff, self-heal and either do 15k+ dps or replace the healer.
    Group normal? Anything that can taunt, debuff and replace the healer.
    PUG vet? Anything that can taunt, debuff and self-heal.
    Group vet? Taunt, debuff, replace the healer or allow the healer to run hybrid dps build.

Raids? Simple, whatever class, gear and skills the raid leaders want. If problem with that, do the heavy lifting of organizing and strategizing one's own raids. This rule of thumb carries over from game to game.

My favorite tank as someone with little trial experience in this particular game is fast ult NB. Near permanent/permanent major protection + crit passive + permanent team major expedition in fights allows all kinds of flexibility pugging or in organized teams in increasing DPS and sponging up mistakes. Wouldn't be surprised if they take this away from NB tanks in the future under some dishonest pretense or rationalization this game is known for.