Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagBlade Theorycrafting Changes Thread

• brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Before Scalebreaker, Swallow Soul/Funnel Health did not proc Curse Eater. I don't know about now.

Monday I'll be testing it out with some other things that worked before Scalebreaker (i.e. light attacks w/ SA, Forward Momentum).
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    @Mrsinister2 I haven't used curse eater but it should it is a single target damage and single target heal.

Question is though, why funnel? Why not swallow soul?

I thought it would be a better heal but since it's scaling off damage and it does no damage I'm starting to think I chose wrong here

Yea, I honestly think funnel health is the worst ability in the game. You’ll get about a 3k tooltip in no-CP, then people tank up and there’s battle spirit. When I tried it as a healer it ticks for maybe 500, on a dps with pen you might get 700 if you’re lucky.

I’m not sure why it’s been left so bad in the class audit. Maybe it has uses in pve without battle spirit and full penetration, IDK, but I don’t think so.

The ability’s so bad that most people when they try to NB heal think the class sucks at it because they use it assuming it’s part of the class toolkit. Even in pve NB healing works by not using it.

The only thing good about it is if the initial hit crits all the hot ticks will crit, but really who cares on a spammable.

Yeah that morph sucks hard. It isn't even used in PvE that much. Definitely needs a rework
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    @Mrsinister2 I haven't used curse eater but it should it is a single target damage and single target heal.

I thought it would be a better heal but since it's scaling off damage and it does no damage I'm starting to think I chose wrong here

Yea, I honestly think funnel health is the worst ability in the game. You’ll get about a 3k tooltip in no-CP, then people tank up and there’s battle spirit. When I tried it as a healer it ticks for maybe 500, on a dps with pen you might get 700 if you’re lucky.

I’m not sure why it’s been left so bad in the class audit. Maybe it has uses in pve without battle spirit and full penetration, IDK, but I don’t think so.

The ability’s so bad that most people when they try to NB heal think the class sucks at it because they use it assuming it’s part of the class toolkit. Even in pve NB healing works by not using it.

The only thing good about it is if the initial hit crits all the hot ticks will crit, but really who cares on a spammable.

Yeah that morph sucks hard. It isn't even used in PvE that much. Definitely needs a rework
    I have a foot out the door (unsubscribed), but am continuing to use it when I log on from time to time. I agree it's bad against players, but against NPCs the healing ticks outperformed Rapid Regen and Healing Ward in my last test, in Scalebreaker, albeit only every 2 seconds. I use it against IC bosses, flag guards and occasionally to attack players from range, whereas most of my attacks are melee.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before Scalebreaker, Swallow Soul/Funnel Health did not proc Curse Eater. I don't know about now.

Monday I'll be testing it out with some other things that worked before Scalebreaker (i.e. light attacks w/ SA, Forward Momentum).

Did they really not?? See that's why I don't like zos and the way they word things like how is swallow soul not a direct heal. Zos is special
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

I have a foot out the door (unsubscribed), but am continuing to use it when I log on from time to time. I agree it's bad against players, but against NPCs the healing ticks outperformed Rapid Regen and Healing Ward in my last test, in Scalebreaker, albeit only every 2 seconds. I use it against IC bosses, flag guards and occasionally to attack players from range, whereas most of my attacks are melee.

Are you talking about funnel health or swallow soul? I use swallow soul as my main spammable as it gets the job done and is useful for the siphoning passives. The other morph, funnel health, is total *** however.

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

Are you talking about funnel health or swallow soul? I use swallow soul as my main spammable as it gets the job done and is useful for the siphoning passives. The other morph, funnel health, is total *** however.
    Swallow Soul. Agreed on the other morph :). Oops, I thought you were actually talking about Swallow Soul. My bad.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still love swallow soul, it's just a shadow of what it was though. With that said, it's still too good between the passives and the hot to pass over imo. I see some people using ele weapon or force pulse and I just don't understand, to each thier own I guess. The only reason to not use it is if youre rocking a melee build with concealed, which even then it's kinda nice to back bar, or if you have an arena staff build
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still love swallow soul, it's just a shadow of what it was though. With that said, it's still too good between the passives and the hot to pass over imo. I see some people using ele weapon or force pulse and I just don't understand, to each thier own I guess. The only reason to not use it is if youre rocking a melee build with concealed, which even then it's kinda nice to back bar, or if you have an arena staff build

Both those others hit a noticeable bit harder with their own passives. Where as SS is a heal/Ulti gen/Siphon passive usage.

When I would put cripple FB, I found much better killing power from ele weapon. But yes, you lose additional passives that bring SS up to snuff.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, I see Siphoning Passives as a requirement but once you have your class passives everything else is usually better depending on setting/spec/etc. Like force pulse for example hits harder because of the 10% penetration passive.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »

Both those others hit a noticeable bit harder with their own passives. Where as SS is a heal/Ulti gen/Siphon passive usage.

When I would put cripple FB, I found much better killing power from ele weapon. But yes, you lose additional passives that bring SS up to snuff.

It helps with bar space alot now since we don't need a destro ability for the passives now. I like to back bar cripple alot so I have a siphon ability back bar, since I don't run siphon like I used to.

I've just switched my build around to more of a shadow cloak based spec. Similar to my old bwb days build skill wise tbh.
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on August 23, 2019 2:34PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It helps with bar space alot now since we don't need a destro ability for the passives now. I like to back bar cripple alot so I have a siphon ability back bar, since I don't run siphon like I used to.

Yea, I have the same problem. I like debilitate but not the other Siphoning abilities. Usually I build around what slot I’m going to waste and how to work it into the build so it’s not a total loss.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've just switched my build around to more of a shadow cloak based spec. Similar to my old bwb days build skill wise tbh.

My absolute main reason I tend to not run ele is because it screws up my bars/rotations. I’ve always opened with cripple backbar as well.

However I can see more and more builds using siphoning strikes going forth because of the harness nerf and cost increases.
    Edited by Insco851 on August 23, 2019 2:53PM
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My absolute main reason I tend to not run ele is because it screws up my bars/rotations. I’ve always opened with cripple backbar as well.

However I can see more and more builds using siphoning strikes going forth because of the harness nerf and cost increases.

Yeah I really want to work siphoning into my build but I don't have the room with the one I'm working on. I finally have the room for impale and I want to give it a go. I've missed alot of low hp kills lately because because out heal my spam after a burst. Try out healing the impales you *** Q(-.-Q)
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah I really want to work siphoning into my build but I don't have the room with the one I'm working on. I finally have the room for impale and I want to give it a go. I've missed alot of low hp kills lately because because out heal my spam after a burst. Try out healing the impales you *** Q(-.-Q)

Yea, impale’s great if you can find space. Especially against shield stacking sorcs who try and bait people while low health.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, impale’s great if you can find space. Especially against shield stacking sorcs who try and bait people while low health.

Yeah I had to drop impale after my heavy build was nerfed and I couldn't run just healing ward. Was around Morrowind if I remember correctly. Once I needed light armor shield it took my executes place

Update, so after playing a big today since I didn't have to work. I really am loving shadowy and impale again. I don't know if it's just the change of pace or if it really is better atm

Update 2.0 so I'm actually really close to dropping cripple for siphoning on my back bar... Mebe I should try degeneration first
    Edited by GhostofDatthaw on August 23, 2019 11:56PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cripple and degeneration are a wash imo. They do comparable damage.

Use cripple if you want the Siphoning passives
    Use degeneration if you want to use different pots as a source of major sorcery.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 25, 2019 5:17AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m thinking building a little tanky next patch may be the way to go after the nerf to damage shields. I was thinking brass/BTB/bloodspawn on a melee magblade. With healing ward and rapid regen as defensive abilities instead of damage shields. My abilities would be merciless, lotus fan, fear, concealed, shadowy disguise, soul tether and back bar would be healing ward, rapid regen, RAT, shade, siphoning attacks, soul harvest. I been trying to figure out how to get at least one of the buffed dots into this build but I can’t figure out what skills to give up.

Might want to take a look at Buffer of the swift set. It's better then brass imo.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Use degeneration if you want to use different pots as a source of major sorcery.

Damage wise they a wash, but cripple gives the passives, the snare, and the immobilize which is dope. I think debilitate is even better than degen still because the mag steal.

I'm just a big fan of those ap pots. They so cheap and actually pretty good. Plus I'm a lizard so in a sense it's also a tripot for me.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed that other spammables deal more damage, and that impale is nice, but i build mine with 2 damage sets with troll king along with high health recovery

Damage wise they a wash, but cripple gives the passives, the snare, and the immobilize which is dope. I think debilitate is even better than degen still because the mag steal.

I'm just a big fan of those ap pots. They so cheap and actually pretty good. Plus I'm a lizard so in a sense it's also a tripot for me.

Yeah I also use the AP major sorc pots on cooldown. Very nice ult gen.

• Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any nightblade healers play with Eyes of mara + dragonguard?
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Never tried that combo. I think I see what you’re thinking, I’d try shalk exoskeleton I instead of dragonguard. I’d still stick with 5L, Heavy chest and medium helm.

I play no-CP so like using buffer of the swift as my defensive set.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 26, 2019 1:08AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah a cheap resto ulti constantly buffed with brp resto and siphoning ability spam.

I havent tried shalks but i might.

sanguinare vampiris

• brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Tried something similar and got the Resto ultimate down to a measly 65 cost on a Sorcerer.
    Edited by brandonv516 on August 26, 2019 1:21AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah a cheap resto ulti constantly buffed with brp resto and siphoning ability spam.

I havent tried shalks but i might.

Added bonus of exo is the combat bug in cyrodiil will go from a minus to a positive. Highly recommend it in cyrodiil so the combat bug doesn’t drive you crazy.

In BGs I’ve never tried it but it could be decent, it’s very easy to get into combat.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also checking out malubeth for higher uptime on major vitality, esp for a melee spec.

sanguinare vampiris

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also checking out malubeth for higher uptime on major vitality, esp for a melee spec.

Let me know how it goes. I thought about trying that set but it has contradictory conditions. It procs on damage taken but has an 8m range or it breaks.

If it was damage done as a melee magblade I could see attacking someone as melee and trying to keep the beam up. As it is it’s damage taken and under pressure I’d shade or kite away which would break the beam.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 26, 2019 3:15AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m using BTB/Necro/troll king with mage Mundus and whichmothers. It feels good. Magblade sustain feels kind of meh this patch though.

My bar set up is: merciless, fear, entropy, swallow soul, shadowy disguise, meteor.

Back bar: dampen, rapid regen, RaT, shade, Debilitate, undo

I’m like meteor for the range and ground aoe giving me a small form of area denial. I will use soul harvest when the game isn’t too laggy though. when it gets really zergy I like to have an aoe ultimate as well because a lot of times I need to kill multiple people at one time. I will use soul harvest when dueling as well. I like that entropy is good now because it allows me to use tri pots.

How does everyones sustain feel? I been thinking about adding a few more regen glyphs. I think it was the increase in the cost of the damage shield on top of harness using the sustain passives.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like I need to hit 2k regen to sustain well. It’s like they increased the cost of magblade abilities by 15% to negate the NB passive. I’ve ended up dropping some abilities because of it, the abilities are good but the cost makes them impractical; fear, refreshing path, etc...
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure some of the sustain issues are all the purges messing up Ele drain/Debilitate/Degeneration sustain debuff. The DOTs are also forcing more Shadowy Disguises as well. New Regeneration with the shorter time means some small health decreases that's be covered by 16 seconds of HOT require a cast of Rapid/Radiating Regen.

I think it is mostly on the margins esp. when not using Precise Regeneration and Siphoning Strikes.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it the constant purges and the cost of out skills keeps getting raised like use 2 image you better have a pot up