The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Severe Bug: ISTANT DEATH

Algorax
Algorax
✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone.

I regret to say that a major bug is ruining my pvp experience in these days.
Since the last patch i experience a bug duiring bgs that causes my character to istantly die, no matter the health percentage.
You may think that it was just an hard hit or combo i took, but no.

This bug often occurred on all my characters, even with my pure tank characters (over 40 k health, resistances maxed out, etc).
I recorded this 8 times on my templar alone since the patch came OUT.
Basically when you are in the middle of the fight there is a chance that you simply die, and the death recount will not show any damage source.
This occurred, for example, even with my tank at 90 % health and costantly parrying. I was taking hits by 3 player with no porblem when suddently i died.
The bug seems to be unrelated to a specific class ( i play all classses in bgs). But it never happens when it is just one enemy hitting you.

Please share here your experiences with this bug.

Thank you!
Edited by Algorax on August 16, 2019 7:21AM
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bug is called L2P and is really hard to get rid of.
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    ErMurazor wrote: »

You seem quite familiar with this bug ;)
    Fortunately i am not and this is something that never occurred before this last patch
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Algorax wrote: »

Fortunately i am not and this is something that never occurred before this last patch

Thoose affected by that bug usually claim "never happened before" thats because the L2P bug is a sneaky *** and can come in many shapes.
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭

Thoose affected by that bug usually claim "never happened before" thats because the L2P bug is a sneaky *** and can come in many shapes.

We all understood you are affected by this, thank you. You may cease to make it more evident :D

The fact remains: a tank does not get oneshotted at 90% health while parrying and with no damage source detected.
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok i will be serious. Might be the new HP dsync bug added with scalebreaker:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/489150/ballista-ultimate-bow-causes-desync-of-hp#latest
  • Vermethys
    Vermethys
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure, maybe it's the so-called "health desync"? I've seen it happen twice in Imperial City, during the last few weeks of Elsweyr patch.

Once I was being attacked by two players, and I was retreating. I remember having plenty of HoTs on me and very few DoTs from the enemies, and I was roll dodging with 50% health (14k), but I just suddenly died within one second. Another time I was fighting two MagNBs, the fight lasted a while as they were tanky. I focused on one of them, and they were obviously taking low damage from me, but I used leap, hit him for no more than 5k and he instantly died while being above 60% just a second ago. It left me wondering if he had cloaked or died, but then I saw him on the ground. It's rather weird.
    PC EU CP1400+
    In-game Username: Vermilion98

Characters & Builds
    Edith Geonette [DC Imperial Sorcerer] (AR28)
    Gorgo Aendovius [AD Imperial Dragonknight] (AR28)

My Builds:
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vermethys wrote: »
    I'm not really sure, maybe it's the so-called "health desync"? I've seen it happen twice in Imperial City, during the last few weeks of Elsweyr patch.

Once I was being attacked by two players, and I was retreating. I remember having plenty of HoTs on me and very few DoTs from the enemies, and I was roll dodging with 50% health (14k), but I just suddenly died within one second. Another time I was fighting two MagNBs, the fight lasted a while as they were tanky. I focused on one of them, and they were obviously taking low damage from me, but I used leap, hit him for no more than 5k and he instantly died while being above 60% just a second ago. It left me wondering if he had cloaked or died, but then I saw him on the ground. It's rather weird.

I was assuming this too, but when i see a tank dieing after a few seconds i understand that it is not the case.
    Joining a fight at full health with a tank, making all rotations right and seeing that the damage you get is low makes the dieing after some seconds 100% impossible.
    Edited by Algorax on August 16, 2019 7:54AM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/489150/ballista-ultimate-bow-causes-desync-of-hp#latest

The death recap would still show damage sources tho.

OP, can you post a screenshot of death recap you see when you die to this?
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

The death recap would still show damage sources tho.

OP, can you post a screenshot of death recap you see when you die to this?

Sure, as soon as it occurs again!
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here, it happened just now with the templar during a deathmatch:

Max health at 40419.
    Was at 88% when the bug occurred.

xam5734zs9xa.png

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Max health at 40419.

xam5734zs9xa.png

You said in OP that the death recap did not show any damage source. The one above looks ok - so i'd say the health desync must be the reason.

What it means that you are getting damaged and lose life, but your screen does not reflect that, you still appear as if you did not lose life, then you suddenly die. There was a report of the bow ultimate causing this, and the recap shows a bow user attacking you. Might be it.
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭

Max health at 40419.

xam5734zs9xa.png

You said in OP that the death recap did not show any damage source. The one above looks ok - so i'd say the health desync must be the reason.

What it means that you are getting damaged and lose life, but your screen does not reflect that, you still appear as if you did not lose life, then you suddenly die. There was a report of the bow ultimate causing this, and the recap shows a bow user attacking you. Might be it.

You are right, i ment that no damage source worth takigng me down is showing.
    Anyway i experienced the health desync bug: you may recognize it by the fact that, even if the health is not showed correctly, you still have the "near death" sound and visual effect (blurred sounds and vision) when you are about to die, which does not happen here. I just die, no progressive weakening.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Max health at 40419.

xam5734zs9xa.png

TBH I have experienced that ballista bug, it showed 18k damage on my death recap and was 1 of 2 sources of damage listed.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »

Max health at 40419.

xam5734zs9xa.png

TBH I have experienced that ballista bug, it showed 18k damage on my death recap and was 1 of 2 sources of damage listed.

Yes, but only if you die shortly after the ballista health desync. Otherwise the death recap will show whatever last 5 abilities damaged you before death, which might have pushed the ballista out of the recap list. This is more likely when you are a tank with lots of HP(likely to survive the ballista itself), which the OP is.
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    It keeps happening guys and the more it happens the more it's obvious that a 40 k hp, max resistances tank who's parrying does not simply "die" after joi9ning a 5 second teamfight.

Besides the last time it occurred (5 mins ago) also prevented me from ressing! :s
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another time after 15 minutes: sudently dieing while engaging at fulkl health and maxed resistances and also made unable to ress after.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's health dysinc. So far in cyro the bow ult causes it almost 100% of the time and so does siege weapons. I have had it from other things too though. But yes it's happening very frequently now and is really annoying.

And yesterday I was fully hp and died to a single frags that I blocked xD
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crixus8000 wrote: »
    It's health dysinc. So far in cyro the bow ult causes it almost 100% of the time and so does siege weapons. I have had it from other things too though. But yes it's happening very frequently now and is really annoying.

We already covered this: health desinc is a visual bug, but when it happens it is not sudden and it still allows the near death effects (blurred screen and sounds) which do not happen and it must happen when a tank is resisting (a tank does not simply "go down" in a strike).
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We already covered this: health desinc is a visual bug, but when it happens it is not sudden and it still allows the near death effects (blurred screen and sounds) which do not happen and it must happen when a tank is resisting (a tank does not simply "go down" in a strike).

Blurred screen and sounds happen when your (real) health drops below certain threshold, and stays there. It does not happen when you are above the threshold, and then take a damage spike that kills you.

Lets say you have 40K HP and your "near-death" effect threshold is 8K HP. If someone hits you with a ballista, bringing you down to 9K HP with a health desync, you will appear to be at 100% HP, really have 9K HP, and there will be no near-death effects. Then, you take 9K damage in one second (more likely when multiple enemies attack you) and you will appear to drop from 100% HP to dead in 1 second, with no near-death effects shown.

TLDR: health desync does not necessarily create the blurred screen and sound of "near-death".
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭

Blurred screen and sounds happen when your (real) health drops below certain threshold, and stays there. It does not happen when you are above the threshold, and then take a damage spike that kills you.

Lets say you have 40K HP and your "near-death" effect threshold is 8K HP. If someone hits you with a ballista, bringing you down to 9K HP with a health desync, you will appear to be at 100% HP, really have 9K HP, and there will be no near-death effects. Then, you take 9K damage in one second (more likely when multiple enemies attack you) and you will appear to drop from 100% HP to dead in 1 second, with no near-death effects shown.

TLDR: health desync does not necessarily create the blurred screen and sound of "near-death".

There are no balistas in bgs and i the biggest hit i can take when not parrying is something between 4 k and 5 k. Consider that my builds makes me parry frequently and you may see how it is very unlikely that this is simple health desync bug. Also consider the other bug that occurred: you enter a fight, last 5 SECONDS as TANK, you somewhat die and then you simply cannot ress.
    How do you explain this?
    Edited by Algorax on August 20, 2019 12:10PM
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with OP, been happening exactly like he states... it’s a health desync bug. I believe that’s it’s cause by momentary lag when multiple ppl attack you. I also have have a sneaking suspicion that it occurs more frequently when getting hit with multiple poisons and or weapon enchants that cause a dot...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed this as well on both my capped resist magplar and necro. Something is fishy for sure
  • SaucyMcSauceface
    SaucyMcSauceface
    ✭✭✭✭

There are no balistas in bgs and i the biggest hit i can take when not parrying is something between 4 k and 5 k. Consider that my builds makes me parry frequently and you may see how it is very unlikely that this is simple health desync bug. Also consider the other bug that occurred: you enter a fight, last 5 SECONDS as TANK, you somewhat die and then you simply cannot ress.
    How do you explain this?

I think he meant Ballista, as in the Bow Ulti, not the siege weapon, which can hit like a truck if someone has debuffed you and the bow user has stacked into penetration, and is definitely something that you find in BGs. The max hit you can take might be 4k, but there are three people hitting you in that death recap, potentially all at the same time. That could mean you took that full 15k damage within a second or so, and if your health had been lowered by the bow ulti before that you could well find yourself quickly dead. Add in the issues with random ping spikes and it is easy to find yourself dead before you know it.

at about 3:45 or so in this video, you see it happen, although bow ulti is what kills him, so it shows on the recent damage death recap.

https://youtu.be/3orZQY270U4

The being unable to rez seems to be a separate issue. I have had it without the health desync issue. Then again, this patch is full of issues, so it is possible you have found a new bug.
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭

How do you explain this?

I think he meant Ballista, as in the Bow Ulti, not the siege weapon, which can hit like a truck if someone has debuffed you and the bow user has stacked into penetration, and is definitely something that you find in BGs. The max hit you can take might be 4k, but there are three people hitting you in that death recap, potentially all at the same time. That could mean you took that full 15k damage within a second or so, and if your health had been lowered by the bow ulti before that you could well find yourself quickly dead. Add in the issues with random ping spikes and it is easy to find yourself dead before you know it.

at about 3:45 or so in this video, you see it happen, although bow ulti is what kills him, so it shows on the recent damage death recap.

https://youtu.be/3orZQY270U4

The being unable to rez seems to be a separate issue. I have had it without the health desync issue. Then again, this patch is full of issues, so it is possible you have found a new bug.

Thank you for your explanation.
    I hope they will soon solve this. Maybe i have to accept that some abilities and mechanics are just too op for even a tank to bear.
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry to report that this happened with me receiving hits at full health from a single sorc. The usual thing happened: i was parrying and then , at 90% health, a fter 3 seconds fight, a dk from the other team jumped on me, not stunned, not damaged, i simply died and i could not ress.

Really guys, this is NOT a health desync issue.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's definitely a health desync. It's been happening to me as well. You health bar will say that you're at 20K (for example) but in reality, you're only at 10k - or less.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No offense but without more information than what is provide in the OP you are getting the response I would expect. Even a death recap SS, while not perfect, could have provided some insight if it showed you getting hit for an absurdly large amount of damage.

If you truly think it was a bug, do a bug report in game with the server/time/campaign/character information and what every else you can provide to help Zos check it out.

Edit: as Lex pointed out, it could be the health desync issue and that makes total sense. Meaning you see yourself at 90% health but you are no where near that.
    Edited by idk on August 22, 2019 2:34PM
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    More information as i test it.

It appears it is a bug linked to the MYSTIC GUARD ability.
    It occurs every time i am guarding an ally. If he gets hit my health goes down accordingly, receiving 30% of his damage.
    What is wrong is that if my protected team member dies i die aswell, no matter the circumstance.
    To prove this i let a mob of 3 enemies hit him, remained distant from them and kept an eye on my health, shielding myself to never take damage and lower my health while my ally did.
    And it happened: the moment he died i died too, and that caused the bug which prevented me from ressing (maybe because i should have never been dead in the first place).
    I also noticed that my death recap was showing impossible damage souce. In fact the 3 enemies were 3 duel wielding foes which were spamming their EXECUTIONER ability. The problem with this was:

1) the damage received via this source which was above 7k health (this means that a full resi and over 40 k health tank was receiving a hit blow of more that 24 k, which is not possible).
    2) All the damage transferred to me by the Mystic Guard ability is makred as damage coming from the ability itself, not from other players attacking my friend, and this was not showing in my death recap.

I think this pretty much solves the mistry behind my deaths: it is not an health desync bug, but something much worse regarding the mystic guard ability.
    I will open another discussion to notify this.
  • SaucyMcSauceface
    SaucyMcSauceface
    ✭✭✭✭
    More information as i test it.

It appears it is a bug linked to the MYSTIC GUARD ability.
    It occurs every time i am guarding an ally. If he gets hit my health goes down accordingly, receiving 30% of his damage.
    What is wrong is that if my protected team member dies i die aswell, no matter the circumstance.
    To prove this i let a mob of 3 enemies hit him, remained distant from them and kept an eye on my health, shielding myself to never take damage and lower my health while my ally did.
    And it happened: the moment he died i died too, and that caused the bug which prevented me from ressing (maybe because i should have never been dead in the first place).
    I also noticed that my death recap was showing impossible damage souce. In fact the 3 enemies were 3 duel wielding foes which were spamming their EXECUTIONER ability. The problem with this was:

1) the damage received via this source which was above 7k health (this means that a full resi and over 40 k health tank was receiving a hit blow of more that 24 k, which is not possible).
    2) All the damage transferred to me by the Mystic Guard ability is makred as damage coming from the ability itself, not from other players attacking my friend, and this was not showing in my death recap.

I think this pretty much solves the mistry behind my deaths: it is not an health desync bug, but something much worse regarding the mystic guard ability.
    I will open another discussion to notify this.

Damn, good work for narrowing it down. That does seem like a pretty spectacular bug.
  • Sophieous
    Sophieous
    ✭✭✭✭
    This ridiculous bug is still in the live game as well as on pts, can we get some acknowledgment @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    EU | PC

Sophious - AD Templar (The one and only true Queen)
    Not Sophious - AD Warden
    Mayorz DK Slave - DC Templar
    May is my bae - DC Magblade
    Galabriem - DC Sorc
    Queen Sophie - DC Stamblade
    "I'm still pretty self-centered, greedy and angry" D.L.