The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game won't start from launcher ONLY on PC EU, works fine on PTS.

Thlepse
Thlepse
✭✭✭
I click PLAY on PC EU, nothing happens. I do the same on PTS, everything works fine.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Thlepse

If the game will not launch after clicking Play in the launcher there are a few troubleshooting steps below that may help besides running a repair.

Create an Anti-virus or Firewall Exception for ESO

Each antivirus program is different and we recommend that you view the antivirus developer's website for full instructions on how to add exceptions.

The application files that may require exceptions are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

Some antivirus programs require entire folders to be selected instead of a single file.When this is the case, the file paths below are what you should use. If required by the anti-virus program, include all subfolders since every file is critical to run the game.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

Delete the Program Data
    1. Close the ESO Launcher.
    2. Navigate to the patch installation folder,
    3. By default, this folder will be located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher\ProgramData.
    4. Locate and delete the ProgramData folder.
    5. Restart the ESO Launcher.

Please let us know if these help resolve your launcher issue.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Thlepse
    Thlepse
    ✭✭✭
    OK this is getting out of hand now. After I managed to get this to work by running a repair (it happened more than once, that's why I'm back at this post now and not earlier), this time repair won't work and the game still can't start. I tried to delete the Program Data folder but still it won't start. After the repair is completed I'm getting the following error:

"Error 1005 - OSError_AccessDenied. Access denied. A file cound not be updated due to either insufficient permissions, or the file is in use by another process."

This is getting really frustrating because it happens at random times and for no particular reason. It happened at least 3 times after this post was created.

Edit: I also tried creating an antivirus exception for ESO but again same issue.

Edit 2: I tried to run the client as an Administrator but yet again, nothing happened.

Update: I managed to solve this by deactivating my firewall during repair and it worked. Please address this issue because it seems to occur everytime a new patch is available.

@ZOS_BillE
    Edited by Thlepse on August 16, 2019 9:17AM
  • KudnaBeefhooked
    KudnaBeefhooked
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Thiepse!
    Tried everything until your tip about disabling the firewall for the repair.

Worked like a charm.