Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Start Over Or Fumble Along?

Ostadan
Ostadan
Soul Shriven
I bought the game (in a bargain pre-order with Summerset) in May 2018, and played casually for a few months. I got two characters — oh, so advanced! — allll the way up to level 12 or 13 when other things took my attention, and I stopped actively playing, logging in only to pick up the daily goodies.

I honestly can't remember how to 'operate' either of these characters, and have forgotten the story contexts in which they exist. The latter is a pity, because the storytelling aspect of the game is, for me, one of the best features, and what I miss most about it. I am now considering resuming play. Should I try to muddle through with these characters, low as they are (but of whom I am rather fond), or would it be better to just start over, even if it means repeating a bunch of early stuff?

Best Answers

• Bored_Owl
    Bored_Owl
    ✭✭
    I'd recommend starting over with a new character, but you don't have to delete your old ones. There's 8 or 9 character slots without purchasing extras from the crown store so if you want to keep them on the off chance you ever want to play them again, you've got room.
    You could also try making one (or both) of them a crafter as well if you've already got some traits and crafting skills on them. That stuff takes ages to level so any kind of head start is helpful.
    Answer ✓
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bored_Owl wrote: »
    I'd recommend starting over with a new character, but you don't have to delete your old ones. There's 8 or 9 character slots without purchasing extras from the crown store so if you want to keep them on the off chance you ever want to play them again, you've got room.
    You could also try making one (or both) of them a crafter as well if you've already got some traits and crafting skills on them. That stuff takes ages to level so any kind of head start is helpful.

agree.gif
    Answer ✓
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're planning on having any sort of longevity with the game, @Ostadan, it's highly recommended that you have one character that's your main crafter. That's what they mean by the second paragraph.

Of course, crafting is not for everyone.

If you foresee yourself stopping and starting the game a lot, it may not be worth the time investment. Or, if you don't have any interest in crafting, it may not be worth the time investment.

But, for long-time players, crafting makes the game a lot more convenient.

Let us know what other questions you have. ;)
    Answer ✓
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are sets you can't find as drops, only make for yourself, plus crafting allows you to upgrade equipment you find to a better quality. Some of the crafted sets, such as Hunding's Rage, Torug's Pact, and Law of Julianos, are used in combination with others late into the game.

And I agree with starting a new character, but keeping the old ones. You can change anything about them except the class, so don't waste your investment.
    Edited by ghastley on August 16, 2019 2:52PM
    Answer ✓
  • Tycleton
    Tycleton
    ✭✭✭
    I too agree you should start a new character but keep the old ones. At a minimum they can be used as 'mules' to hold items.

I am a casual player as well. I have played around with crafting but my limited play time doesn't really make it worth my while. If you can keep yourself focused on questing, the money to buy crafted items on the market or through guild mates will come. Perhaps your best investment for the play style is to read the forums and do some google searching on craftable armor sets. I wasted alot of coin early on in what appeared to be reasonably priced crafted sets. They were reasonably priced because no one wanted them.

I suggest your number one purchase objective be 5 pieces of Hunding's Rage at level 10 with the training bonus built in. Then fill the other equipment slots with another set of your choice that also includes the training bonus. I have a new character training pathway I follow that gets me to level 10 within a few reasonable hours based on my past history. I hear the current entry area is a great improvement over the past starting areas. Just start digging out those local quests, make level 10, slap on the training gear. I think you will find the ESO world becomes an obsessive place to be!

Good luck, and lets us know here how we can help!

Tyc
    Answer ✓
  • Ostadan
    Ostadan
    Soul Shriven

OK. I don't quite understand the second paragraph, though; the whole craft thing is kind of hazy to me even though one of the characters did do some crafting quests.
  • Ostadan
    Ostadan
    Soul Shriven
    Just one more question (I promise): by faithfully collecting the daily rewards, one of my characters has amassed 127,000 gold, which seems like rather a lot. Is there a way to 'bequest' this gold (or, for that matter, other possessions) to a new character? I suppose that it could be brokered by a third party in a guild or something, but is there a more direct way?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ostadan wrote: »
    Just one more question (I promise): by faithfully collecting the daily rewards, one of my characters has amassed 127,000 gold, which seems like rather a lot. Is there a way to 'bequest' this gold (or, for that matter, other possessions) to a new character? I suppose that it could be brokered by a third party in a guild or something, but is there a more direct way?
    Deposit it in your personal bank.

Each one of your characters can add/take from the bank. That's the easiest way to exchange items (and currency) between characters.
    bye1.gif

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ostadan wrote: »
    OK. I don't quite understand the second paragraph, though; the whole craft thing is kind of hazy to me even though one of the characters did do some crafting quests.
    Crafting research takes forever.

If you plan to become a master crafter, the research for all 9 traits on all possible items will literally take you a year.
    So if you already have a character that has started research, make that one your crafter.

Unless you plan to get all possible achievements (purely for bragging rights) in which case you should do *everything* there is in the game on just one main character.
    dry.gif

• Ostadan
    Ostadan
    Soul Shriven
    I've restarted. I'd forgotten how incredibly complicated this game is. Oh well, I tried.