Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Endgame Tanking Class Options

Gedalya
Gedalya
✭✭✭✭✭
What are the current classes that are viable for endgame tanking; I think Dragon Knight is and always has been a given. Are there any other classes? I have seen builds for Warden and Necromancer. Has anyone seen any other classes used in a Veteran Trial?
Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade tanks were on and off pretty viable through out ESO's history. As of now, they are BiS tanks in stamina groups.
  • Fiewiel
    Fiewiel
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Fiewiel on August 17, 2019 2:36PM
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragon Knights have Fiery Grip; are there good options for that for the other classes? I'm aware of Inner Fire; however are there any other classes that have a good option in this regard? I'm not under the impression that Necromancer Beckoning Armour is good in this regard but I am interested to know otherwise.

• zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    Dragon Knights have Fiery Grip; are there good options for that for the other classes? I'm aware of Inner Fire; however are there any other classes that have a good option in this regard? I'm not under the impression that Necromancer Beckoning Armour is good in this regard but I am interested to know otherwise.

Silver leash?
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Silver Leash is witless brother of Fiery Grip. This skill can be found in fighters guild skill line. Costs stamina.

Warden has portals.

There is one monster head that does the same thing as Necro becko armor: Swarm Mother. And your impression is correct, this type of CC is not good enough for trash as it is not on demand and it takes long time to get all the adds on one pile.
    Edited by satanio on August 17, 2019 5:07PM
    Current public stam parses on Iron Atro so far (esologs)
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

Current public mag parses on Iron Atro (esologs)
    (non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Silver Leash actually taunt? I am looking at the information for it and I don't see a taunt reference. Also, thanks for all the valuable information!

• satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does Silver Leash actually taunt? I am looking at the information for it and I don't see a taunt reference. Also, thanks for all the valuable information!

Well, if you're looking for Taunts, your only option is Pierce Armor from "One Handed and Shield" and Inner Rage. None of those CC that I've mentioned taunt, neither does Fiery Grip. However, Fiery Grip had/has(?) some interesting mechanic. It agroes targeted mob on you, but just for a blink of and eye. This can be seen in MoL, when figthing the big black cats. If tanks spam chains at them, they get really confused :D.
    Edited by satanio on August 17, 2019 8:08PM
    Current public stam parses on Iron Atro so far (esologs)
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

Current public mag parses on Iron Atro (esologs)
    (non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've seen silver leash soft agrro.

I have a Nord sorc tank who can handle his own in most dungeons (besides a DK and Necro tank). Alcast has tank builds for all classes so read what his descriptions are and see if one of them suits you.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dk in group:
    1. Enfluging flames
    2. Magma shell as an "aw ***" button
    3. If no other dk in group, minor brutality.
    4. Fiery grip as a magicka option.
    -meta
    Sorc in group:
    1. Surge+altar
    2. Selfish tankiness
    3. Minor prophecy
    - requires a pet for the selfishness
    -lack of reliable resource return
    Warden:
    1. Didn't play.
    2. Minor fortitude (not sure about name)
    Nb:
    1. Best HoT tanks have.
    2. Ranged major debuffs.
    3. Easy access to damage mitigation skills.
    4. Minor savagery
    Templar:
    1. Good resource return ability (and major buffs together)
    2. Minor sorcery + minor breach/fracture
    3. Cleanse
    - no reliable burst heal
    Necro:
    Didn't play either
    Edited by zvavi on August 18, 2019 4:57AM
  • ATreeGnome
    ATreeGnome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, most of the classes are viable for tanking most vet trials right now, just as long as you know how to make the most out of their unique strengths and select your class based on group needs.

For example, Nightblade tanks have easy access to major evasion, which makes them great when it comes to AoE intensive fights, like main tank in vSS. They also offer the group minor savagery for extra weapon crit, which is very valuable to stamina heavy groups that don't already have a nightblade.

On the other hand, I probably wouldn't bother bringing a nightblade tank in to vCR +3. Most of the damage is direct single target and most of the group will likely be magicka. Can it be done? Sure. Does it make things easier on you or the group? Not really.

You can find parallel situations for most classes where they exceed in one trial or with a particular group composition but not in others.

Warden tanks are spectacular if they can consistently proc major heroism with shimmering shield for extra major force uptime and can easily provide minor toughness to the group through minor lifesteal or other healing sources. If there aren't many projectiles to block with shimmering shield though or you have a warden healer already, then they don't offer much to the group.

I think the hardest class to currently justify tanking with is templar simply due to the extreme popularity of templar healers and magplars. That's not to say that they can't be tanky enough to do the job, just that they rarely offer a group buff that someone else isn't providing anyway.