The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Molten whip v flame lash

Syiccal
Syiccal
✭✭✭✭✭
Please can ppl advise which is the better morph, I like the heal of flame lash but molten hits so hard it
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm still using Flame Lash, myself. Molten Whip can hit hard if you combo it right (chains/Cauterise/FoO -> Engulfing -> Embers -> Molten Whip is an easy combo to build 3/3 stacks on Molten Whip), but I feel as if it tries too hard to be for something that DK just isn't, something more burst-y like NB or Sorc.

I feel as if Flame Lash is just better suited to DK, as it fits perfectly in DK's combo (Engulfing -> Fossilize -> Flame Lash -> Leap -> Power Lash). It's snappy, it's always there when you land Flame Lash after a Fossilize, and it doesn't require you to fit the combo around the proc.

Molten Whip, on the other hand, does require you to fit the combo around the proc (chains/Cauterise/FoO -> Engulfing -> Embers -> Fossilize -> Leap -> Molten Whip), has a longer combo (more likelihood of your opponent countering you), has a longer setup (more likely to screw up the setup), and requires you to redo half the combo if it doesn't kill your opponent (Power Lash only needs off balance applied, so you can get 2-3 Power Lash procs out of the 1 Fossilize).

So yeah, Molten Whip can hit very hard, but I just prefer Flame Lash.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    I'm still using Flame Lash, myself. Molten Whip can hit hard if you combo it right (chains/Cauterise/FoO -> Engulfing -> Embers -> Molten Whip is an easy combo to build 3/3 stacks on Molten Whip), but I feel as if it tries too hard to be for something that DK just isn't, something more burst-y like NB or Sorc.

I feel as if Flame Lash is just better suited to DK, as it fits perfectly in DK's combo (Engulfing -> Fossilize -> Flame Lash -> Leap -> Power Lash). It's snappy, it's always there when you land Flame Lash after a Fossilize, and it doesn't require you to fit the combo around the proc.

Molten Whip, on the other hand, does require you to fit the combo around the proc (chains/Cauterise/FoO -> Engulfing -> Embers -> Fossilize -> Leap -> Molten Whip), has a longer combo (more likelihood of your opponent countering you), has a longer setup (more likely to screw up the setup), and requires you to redo half the combo if it doesn't kill your opponent (Power Lash only needs off balance applied, so you can get 2-3 Power Lash procs out of the 1 Fossilize).

So yeah, Molten Whip can hit very hard, but I just prefer Flame Lash.

Yes, but you may pre-ignite molten whip before leaping by recasting cauterize 2-3 times which never hurts. Also your enemy may gulp cc immunity pot and then all fossilize combo is screwed completely leaving you both without burst and without heal.
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't like doubling your hardest hitting class skill's damage and buffing everything else then use flame lash.
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its an optional thing. You need a balance of healing/tankiness and damage on any pvp toon, and dk has several good split morphs for it.

Pros for molten whip: increases all damage, much higher burst, easier to land.
    Pros for flame lash: strong heal

If you go molten whip, you need to use cauterize and at least 1 or 2 other sources of heal over team or burst heals. If you go flame lash, you can get away with FOO.
  • Neloth
    Neloth
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I read these discussions, I always think that ZoS has done a really good job balancing whip morphs, the choice is really interesting here.

Can’t say the same about, for example, crystal frags/crystal blast, or many other skills, eh(
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smacking ppl with massiv whips is addictive, not gonna lie