Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The new Elemental Succession -- perhaps not so bad as I thought

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Like many people, I was scathing in my view of the Elemental Succession set. But after another change, it no longer looks as laughably bad. It has a theoretical max uptime of 80% on spell power boosts of >500 to all elemental damage. That could work out to be downright good for magicka builds that don't have a lot of magic damage. Most magicka builds will now have a fair amount of magic damage in them, and exceptions may be fire-only, which plays well with some other sets too. Still, I was wrong to suggest that Elemental Succession was still on the "worst sets" list along with Sithis' Touch and so on in a post I made in the now-locked Update 23 Q&A thread.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Either it's bugged or it's intentional, but people have mentioned that it has a 5s cd, not 4s cd on pts.

DK and Necro will see the most use out of this set.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • PunkAben
    PunkAben
    ✭✭✭
    A lot belive the find error and bug in the game.. the do not !
    Everything is just like it have to be, this is how it is maked.
    We write 2019 and we have long experience with make software.
    Zenimax use only trained software developer so the know what the are doing and this is how it have to be.
    Nothing in programming is random !
    The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do.The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.Ted NelsonElder Scrolls Online most balanced part is maybe the the number of bugs and not bugs!
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    PunkAben wrote: »
    A lot belive the find error and bug in the game.. the do not !
    Everything is just like it have to be, this is how it is maked.
    We write 2019 and we have long experience with make software.
    Zenimax use only trained software developer so the know what the are doing and this is how it have to be.
    Nothing in programming is random !

Yeah shame, it's more likely the programmer was right and the PTS notes were wrong. We won't know for sure until tomorrow though. A 5s CD drops it's uptime to about 60-70% average from other's testing, which is in the territory of Burning Spellweave, except that's Spell Damage instead of Elemental.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on August 11, 2019 6:30PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The PTS tooltip says 5 seconds.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Each effect has at most 50% up time, and is only active for 4 seconds at at time. Even if you managed to make a build that was all fire damage on one bar and all shock damage on the other, the effect would still fall off before you bar swap. Since most fights that actually matter are single target, Spell Strategist still blows this out of the water with 100% up time and working for all forms of magic damage.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    Each effect has at most 50% up time, and is only active for 4 seconds at at time. Even if you managed to make a build that was all fire damage on one bar and all shock damage on the other, the effect would still fall off before you bar swap. Since most fights that actually matter are single target, Spell Strategist still blows this out of the water with 100% up time and working for all forms of magic damage.

I looked at the tooltip yesterday on the PTS. It functions differently now, with theoretical potential uptime of 80% for all elements at once.
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether it's "not that bad" or whatever, patch notes say 4s cd, on PTS it's 5s cooldown.

With spell strat I have an uptime of 95%+, yes that's only single target but then again, BSW would compete with it just as well since it gives spell crit and burning status effect IF it has a 5s cd, BSW is better because it scales healing as well as my magic damage skills.

80% which would be absolute procing as SOON as the CD ended in the GCD ( unlikely ), and only useful for necro or dk as other classes have a half and half relationship with elemental status effects IF that; but point is, uptime would be around... 61-70% at best, if the 4s cooldown was the way it's suppose to be (according to pate notes) it'll be 80-90%
    Edited by Jodynn on August 12, 2019 5:24AM
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually i find it as a good replacement for SS set. On a class that does always elemental damage (many there), you can keep a very good uptime on this. SS would be still better for single target but ES would be better on multi targets.

I plan to test it, already got a set ready from my vMA runs these days.
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just dropped the Jewelry and Inferno staff yesterday, in case it becomes useful :D
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a piece of Elemental Succession in inventory, and the cooldown is indeed the 4 seconds in the patch notes, not the 5 seconds I saw on the PTS.

It's a blue piece, and the Spell Damage bonus is 518. Obviously, that will improve with color.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a piece of Elemental Succession in inventory, and the cooldown is indeed the 4 seconds in the patch notes, not the 5 seconds I saw on the PTS.

It's a blue piece, and the Spell Damage bonus is 518. Obviously, that will improve with color.

550 for gold if remember correctly, got a ring in mail.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elemental Succession + Silks of the Sun is going to be devastating on a magDK. Potential 950 spell damage to all flame damage abilities.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

550 for gold if remember correctly, got a ring in mail.

That matches my memory from the PTS.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remind me please -- which sets drop in normal MA and which in vet mode. My guesses are:
    • Light: Elemental Succession (normal) and Winterborn (vet).
    • Medium: Parabellum (normal) and Hunt Leader (vet).
    • Heavy: Glorious Defender (normal) and Permafrost (vet).

How'm I doing? :)
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All sets drop in either mode. Normal drops blue, Vet drops purple.

Only vet drops Mael weapons.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Remind me please -- which sets drop in normal MA and which in vet mode. My guesses are:
    • Light: Elemental Succession (normal) and Winterborn (vet).
    • Medium: Parabellum (normal) and Hunt Leader (vet).
    • Heavy: Glorious Defender (normal) and Permafrost (vet).

How'm I doing? :)

All the 5 piece sets are the same between normal and vet, they are only different in the item quality (blue vs purple).
    It's just the maelstrom weapon itself that is restricted to vet.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I checked Magcro skills. All the Grave Lord ones are elemental. The Bone Tyrant ones (ultimate, Scythe) are not.

Among non-class skills, the non-elemental ones necros are likely to run include Degeneration/Structured Entropy and Soul Trap.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remind me please, somebody: Which sets drop in normal MA, and which drop in VMA?
    Erraln wrote: »

Really!? If it's always been that way, then my memory is screwed up.
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So its live and ele succ set is 4 sec cooldown, my magdk gets practically 100% uptime in a full rotation.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remind me please, somebody: Which sets drop in normal MA, and which drop in VMA?
    Erraln wrote: »

Really!? If it's always been that way, then my memory is screwed up.

It's always been that way, the actual Maelstrom weapon from completing it is the thing that only drops in vMA.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Muzzick
    Muzzick
    ✭✭✭✭
    So its live and ele succ set is 4 sec cooldown, my magdk gets practically 100% uptime in a full rotation.

And now I'm kicking myself for deconning all of mine, looks like it's back to vMA for me
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten every weapon except destro staff, I bet when I do it won't be fire @_@...
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTB vMA keys like undaunted keys
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK