Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templar....the new Cheesy Dip?

• No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    Moonsorrow wrote: »
    Hi, remember me saying at first week of PTS that templars will be the next big FOTM..

And, here we are now. All FOTM people rolling templars left and right. :joy:

All the forumplars who kept saying "nah, i dont see templar becoming fotm we are so weak.." , well - told ya.

But to this topic, gonna be playing mostly my Necro this patch and hunting them holy fotmplars and collecting sweet sweet AP. Unholy war has been declared! You will die even to my buggy necro skills. Make corpse puppets out of all fotmplars! (rp intensifies) :p

PS. I do not want templar to be nerfed, they have earned their hour of glory also like all other classes. At the next big patch they will get nerfed and something else made the next big FOTM. So until then, either become fotmplar or make a build that can deal with lots of them around.

Carry on and have fun everyone! :)

I welcome the new templars. it's fun fighting them because they aren't used to the clunky offense/defense mechanics and can't dodge roll/block on demand while attacking haha.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, remember me saying at first week of PTS that templars will be the next big FOTM..

All the forumplars who kept saying "nah, i dont see templar becoming fotm we are so weak.." , well - told ya.

But to this topic, gonna be playing mostly my Necro this patch and hunting them holy fotmplars and collecting sweet sweet AP. Unholy war has been declared! You will die even to my buggy necro skills. Make corpse puppets out of all fotmplars! (rp intensifies) :p

PS. I do not want templar to be nerfed, they have earned their hour of glory also like all other classes. At the next big patch they will get nerfed and something else made the next big FOTM. So until then, either become fotmplar or make a build that can deal with lots of them around.

I welcome the new templars. it's fun fighting them because they aren't used to the clunky offense/defense mechanics and can't dodge roll/block on demand while attacking haha.

As much as I am embarrassed for fotm players I do welcome them also for these exact reasons.

Though, I personally don't think players will adjust to the constant buff's, cleansing, keeping ritual up and the positioning - To the point where I think we've got a patch of healbots ahead of us.
    Edited by BNOC on August 14, 2019 2:34PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol they'll leave in a few weeks once they can't handle the rigid back and forth playstyle and the complete necessity to build for EVERYTHING.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been watching a couple streamers the past couple of days and the Templar hate keeps on coming! I am having a hard time deciding if their game angst is justified or are they more unhappy that stamina isn't god anymore.

FYI I have played a Mag Templar for years - I like cheese but not in my game play. I also really like my Stamplar too. Is changing our way of thinking how the game should be played really going to kill ESO? Should us Magicka players continue to be the side item in a PVP combo and be happy with bowing down to our mighty Stam players to keep the game afloat? Honestly I would rather take it for the team and continue magicka being marginal in PVP then to push people out the door. Sorc hate is to not be discussed here.

What are your thoughts?

new Eclipse is total crap OP ****.
    And 2 more dots for every class means Extended ritual is op thing now.
    It's like to make templar allmightly.

Templar will be most hatefull class with a time for sure with these changes

Naw...overload sorcs.
  • DukeDiewalker
    DukeDiewalker
    ✭✭✭✭
    People need to understand tho that not templars got OP overnight (aside from the broken eclipse ofc) but the recent Gamebreaker patch ruined the game in such a way that templars benefit the most out of it.
    Just nerfing templar in the future will just result in the same circle of nerfing and destroying again, fix what was done wrong this patch first!
    - Person who barely ever plays templar btw
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »

As much as I am embarrassed for fotm players I do welcome them also for these exact reasons.

Though, I personally don't think players will adjust to the constant buff's, cleansing, keeping ritual up and the positioning - To the point where I think we've got a patch of healbots ahead of us.

yup. Its a healbot patch:
    FrenchImportantIndianjackal-small.gif
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

give it a few more weeks and they'll get used to the class and we'll have a magplar magsorc overrun map.
    People need to understand tho that not templars got OP overnight (aside from the broken eclipse ofc) but the recent Gamebreaker patch ruined the game in such a way that templars benefit the most out of it.
    Just nerfing templar in the future will just result in the same circle of nerfing and destroying again, fix what was done wrong this patch first!

Yep. If the changes keep heading this direction, every single class will be running 8 out of 10 skills as generic skills that everyone has access to.

Yay balance I guess.
    Edited by HowlKimchi on August 14, 2019 5:32PM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »

give it a few more weeks and they'll get used to the class and we'll have a

Yep. If the changes keep heading this direction, every single class will be running 8 out of 10 skills as generic skills that everyone has access to.

Yay balance I guess.

they won't. templar takes a certain "patience" that you either enjoy or find annoying.
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe we can start buffing other things (like medium armor for example which was supposed to get buffed in this update or giving overnerfed shields some strength back...) instead of gutting everyone and everything. Magplar right now feels like a unique and complete class which didn't get gutted, would be cool to have the other classes in the same state. Who (excluding templar mains) enjoys their main class more in it's current state than you did 1-2 years ago? I don't think many. ZOS still needs to learn that the game doesn't become more fun when you only nerf stuff and try to make every class feel the same.
    Edited by Ragnaroek93 on August 14, 2019 5:34PM
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe we can start buffing other things (like medium armor for example which was supposed to get buffed in this update or giving overnerfed shields some strength back...) instead of gutting everyone and everything. Magplar right now feels like a unique and complete class which didn't get gutted, would be cool to have the other classes in the same state. Who (excluding templar mains) enjoys their main class more in it's current state than you did 1-2 years ago? I don't think many. ZOS still needs to learn that the game doesn't become more fun when you only nerf stuff and try to make every class feel the same.

I agree. I think the only way to proceed is seeing how the devs envision the classes, and then work with them on feedback so that vision becomes unique for classes. But we can't have that if the devs are responding to forum fires.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so it's Nacho Cheese in which we can all enjoy , yes ? Unlike Necromancer which is currently "Not Yo Cheese" , unless open wallet after base game .

In this perfect imbalance formula the Devs maintain , there is always one . Best when not the new class locked under money .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OSVZF77w
    Edited by Rohamad_Ali on August 14, 2019 6:00PM
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yay balance I guess.

they won't. templar takes a certain "patience" that you either enjoy or find annoying.

Idk, maybe stam mains might have an issue. Mag mains shouldn’t see too much of a difference. Coming from magblade, the Templar felt sorta like a vacation. Defense is a bit different tho.
  • Dinokstrun
    Dinokstrun
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah magicka templar stench is extremely potent so far in Scalebreaker hopefully adjustments arrive asap to clog the stinky smell
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

Lol they'll leave in a few weeks once they can't handle the rigid back and forth playstyle and the complete necessity to build for EVERYTHING.

QFT
    I carry 6 sets and 5 Monster Sets, and enchants to change my jewels constantly..because one set up never seems to work for all battles.

TO OP
    ER on paper might seem OP, but Pvp is a game of mobility, I use Extended Ritual mainly for cleansing myself, thats it. We are never in one place long enough to benefit from it's duration more than a tick, it costs a lot, and they increased cost this patch. It's hard to lay a new one down everytime the team or myself moves. My ER with Battle spirit doesn't even heal for that much since I don't run Resto and can't heavy attack for major mending, etc. A Templar is always sacrficing something, to get something somewhere else, because we are always a main target we have to build for everything.

PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar is balanced now. Mainly learn to play issues if you cannot handle them at all.
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »

Yay balance I guess.

Idk, maybe stam mains might have an issue. Mag mains shouldn’t see too much of a difference. Coming from magblade, the Templar felt sorta like a vacation. Defense is a bit different tho.

depends how you play. You still have to work for your kills on a magplar because it either has to fit in a 6s window with purfying light, or you have to run ult combos with dark flare which means embracing clunky cast times.

I think youll see more magsorcs than templars. The ability to escape a zerg with an unblocked stun/streak will outweigh the ability to stand your ground.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yay balance I guess.

I fought a bunch since patch dropped that got completly stuck on there back foot block casting hotd :lol:

It's funny when it's not me
    Edited by Mrsinister2 on August 14, 2019 7:35PM
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭

Yay balance I guess.

I fought a bunch since patch dropped that got completly stuck on there back foot block casting hotd :lol:

It's funny when it's not me

LOL love it.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I´ve made the experience that players new to the class do mostly better than long term players for some reason (on magDK and magplar mostly - the only class where that didn´t happen was sorc bc of how onedimensional everything is).
    My guess would be they approach the class differently with no bias towards certain skills, set or weapon choices.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Some of us forumplars called out Eclipse week 1 of PTS. And I mostly play stamden lately.

Templar took nerfs as well as buffs this patch, but as predicted, magplar seems OP in a dot meta because magplars have the best self purge and have been using it for years.

If Ritual wasn't OP versus bleeds (and it wasn't), maybe we need to be looking at the ease of applying multiple, strong, ranged dots as the problem, not the class.

But Eclipse -- yea that sucker is a problem.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

I´ve made the experience that players new to the class do mostly better than long term players for some reason (on magDK and magplar mostly - the only class where that didn´t happen was sorc bc of how onedimensional everything is).
    My guess would be they approach the class differently with no bias towards certain skills, set or weapon choices.

Lol
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a magplar since console launch, I fully expect all this to be nerfed to oblivion before I can enjoy it on XB1
  • ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a friendly reminder that it’s okay and very normal to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community. If you do not have something constructive or meaningful to add to a discussion, we strongly recommend you refrain from posting in that thread.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know...you guys are all sitting here claiming magplar super stronk. I dont see it. Nothing has changed except the amount of purges I have to keep up with. Last patch i could drop a purge every 6 seconds and call it a day. This patch I find myself purging almost as much as I honor the dead. The new dots are so strong that as soon as I see them I get rid of them, then they reapply lol.

Other classes seem to have more passive ways in dealing with massive dot damage. For magplar and stamplar you cannot choose to ride out a dots damage, we were designed with the concept that we can just purge it away...but now that were in a dot meta, if I cant purge I take way more damage than everyone else. And purging every two to three seconds is a very bad thing to do...

Not to mention living dark is borderline trash, atleast the heal is. It's completely based on direct damage, and at .5 seconds cooldown I dont get the proc as much as I would like. On paper it sounds really good. But in effective combat...I'd rather have a magic vigor without needing a resto staff.

Only real thing living dark has for it is the root. Which I disagree with passive rooting mechanics. It's not fun to be rooted every immunity cooldown while playing. I also cant tell the difference between NPC eclipses on me, enemy player eclipses on me, or my own living dark. They all take up the same animation.

I have been thinking more about ritual of retribution, but not sure if I'll miss that phat 5 purge effect or more heals, dot damage. But as of now even outnumbered, keeping living dark up on cooldown, my purge heals for about 1/3 more than living dark over the course of every fight I'm in
    Edited by Baconlad on August 15, 2019 1:11AM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I dont know. The heals from ER to go along with any other HOTs and the DOT purges can make templar pretty strong. But I do kind of hate this DOT meta. Its a lot of apply dot, apply dot, apply dot, apply dot, insert defense/heal, apply dot, apply dot, apply dot, ulti combo into an execute. Its like they brought a single target pve rotation to meta in PvP. My magplar is stronger than ever relatively speaking, yet I hate it.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dinokstrun wrote: »
    Yeah magicka templar stench is extremely potent so far in Scalebreaker hopefully adjustments arrive asap to clog the stinky smell

Git gut
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol

Notice how i didn´t state new players but instead it says players new to the class (maybe i should have put experienced before)?
    The person giving me the most trouble with his magplar on pts was someone who didn´t have one on live...
    And from my experience - which is ofc anecdotal - it´s happening quite a bit.
    Ofc it could be that he´s just a better player than the others - but i´m giving the long term players the benefit of doubt in that regard ;)
    Edited by Derra on August 15, 2019 6:15AM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    /

Lol

Notice how i didn´t state new players but instead it says players new to the class (maybe i should have put experienced before)?
    The person giving me the most trouble with his magplar on pts was someone who didn´t have one on live...
    And from my experience - which is ofc anecdotal - it´s happening quite a bit.
    Ofc it could be that he´s just a better player than the others - but i´m giving the long term players the benefit of doubt in that regard ;)

the hardest players are ones who are not new both on templar and another classes.
    because there u can meet not only unexpected builds, but experience*practice.
    like in your described case, if that guy on pts had it on live - he could be even more problem as opponent.
    all classes. pc platform, dissapointed.
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    Extended Ritual and Ritual of Retribution are the most overloaded abilities in the entire game by a substantial amount. They do twice as many things as other abilities do, and the things that they do make the game miserable for other players.

This was already true before the last patch. This recent patch nearly doubled the healing and damage of these morphs. Why? I don't know why. No one knows why any of the recent changes went through.

ER does the following:
    -Provides the caster with Minor Mending
    -Cleanses the caster of 5 debuffs (which by itself could easily mitigate more damage than any other casted heal)
    -Heals everyone inside of it for as much as Grand Healing, making it on par with the best aoe heals in the game
    -Permanently snares everyone inside of what is the largest ground aoe in the entire game
    -Lasts 24 seconds, longer than any other ground aoe in the entire game
    -Provides every player inside of it with the most powerful synergy in the game, which removes all debuffs off of them, restores resources (undaunted passive), and provides a substantial heal. If you have 10 dots on you, plus major defile and minor defile, and maybe a snare or whatever else, it's all gone, making it much more effective than Purge/Efficient Purge.

All with one cast of one single ability. The amount of damage the synergy alone is able to mitigate is higher than any single cast of any heal in the entire game, aside from ults.

What about RoR? Well, RoR does all of the above (although it only removes 2 debuffs instead of 5), but not only was it's healing nearly doubled, but it's damage was also doubled with the recent patch. Unfortunately for Templars (lol), it only lasts for 12 seconds instead of 24. How much damage does it do now though? As much as Elemental Blockade, but in an area about five times as large.

Compare these abilities to any other ground aoe in the game. Remember When ZOS said that Refreshing Path was doing "too many things", and removed it's damage component altogether? Well, you can think of RoR as a Refreshing Path that is 5 times larger, gives minor mending, snares opponents instead of providing major expedition, does damage (which is OK for Templars but not Nightblades), cleanses the caster of 2 debuffs, and provides teammates with the most powerful synergy in the game.

lol

edit: I'll answer your question more directly. Are Templars killing ESO? I don't know for sure, but I can offer you a personal anecdote. I stopped logging in and queueing for BGs for awhile specifically because of Extended Ritual/Ritual of Retribution in BGs. Why? The snare. Every Templar in high MMR BGs has ER slotted and drops it on every single fight, which means being permanently snared basically the entire time you're in a BG. Not only does it snare inside of it's gigantic ground aoe, but it also snares above and below the aoe, so on certain maps even if you're under or over the ground aoe, you're still snared. It basically sucks the fun out of the game for me and has mostly ruined BGs.

Every post you made in a templar thread for months, at least 3 patches now, is full of bias. You actually think it's acceptable that the animations for templar skills are busted and you've complained and whined about them being OP long before the devs even hinted at the changes for this patch.

Your posting history is such that I and I'm sure anyone who can be moderately objective about a templar can't take what you say seriously, which is kind of a shame because it sounds like you are a good player. But when you have so much bias and repeat the same refrain no matter the patch, the meta, the context, it's hard to take what you write seriously because you say the same thing no matter what: Nerf templars and yeah it['s totally cool their skills are bugged. Why would the devs listen to anything you say about the class when you just have an agenda?

The issue this patch is the devs did 3 things that are highly questionable and I'm still not sure why they thought any of these was a good idea.
    1. They've made it so Eclipse cannot be removed without a over-specialized group skill or except playing the very class that casts Eclipse. I doubt anyone has used this skill over the years more than me on PC NA and every time this skill gets brought up for a change, I've have always said it would be broken without the ability to CC break it. Well, it would be broken if it wasn't so buggy, but I don;t subscribe to the it's cool for skills to be buggy argument as long as the tooltip sounds OP.
    2. They've ratcheted up the damage on all DoTs and basically gave every class what was supposed to be the DK's specialty because of universal skills like soul trap (which the splitting morph is absurdly good in any AoE situation). Personally I find this style boring, but aesthetics aside, there is one class that is designed to defend itself against this meta. The "problem" here is not Templars, which as a class was fine before, some strengths and some weaknesses.
    3. Because of the change to healing, they felt the need to expand other sources, and so we got more questionable changes such as the sorcerer crit surge skill and the healing boost to Cleansing Ritual. The skill was fine before, as it has been for over 5 years, and should have remained as it was. There is no need to gut the skill. ZOS could have altered one of the morphs for Healing ritual for the AOE HoT it was looking to give the class: The skill as it is niche and the Rebirth morph is so unimaginative nobody would have missed it.

The class doesn't need to be gutted or nerfed. The meta needs to encourage a diversity of effective offensive styles, the extra healing should go to lesser used/unpopular skill, and they should just copy and paste Eclipse at launch because the skill was not bugged and was not perceived to be overpowered.

There's no bias with my numbers. I'm not suggesting any abilities do more things than they actually do, or heal for more, or do more damage, and statements like purify is the best synergy in the entire game are non-controversial statements that just about everyone can agree with. Other statements like suggesting ER/RoR makes BGs unplayable with it's gigantic, all-encompassing permanent snare on every fight, is also something most people will agree with.

If you have something to dispute, feel free to address I'm being critical of instead of suggesting that I'm "biased". You're not the first person in this thread to do this while ignoring my comment on ER/RoR that got like, 25 likes/agrees or whatever, so clearly other people agree with what I'm saying.

You're even saying that the change to the heal on ritual is "questionable", and IMO it's more than that. I would wager that a single cast of ER has more absolute healing potential in just the heal over time inside of the ground aoe (meaning, not including the purify synergy) than any other single heal in the game besides ults. I think this is also a statement that is not very controversial when you look at the healing it does, the area it covers, and the duration of the ground aoe. Clearly it's already a very very good aoe heal (potentially the best in the game), but the heal is just one small part of the other 5 things it does.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »
    LOL holy *** what a tremendous waste of time that thread was. a bunch of very bad templar mains insisted that ackshyually, ele weapon does more damage than sweep, and all it took to shut down their whining about how bad their other overtuned class ability was, was to link a parse of sweep doing *** 40% more damage than ele weapon. let me remind every very good templar main with a very large brain that sweep and jabs do as much damage as blastbones and warden shalks. if you can't manage to make a spammable ability that does that much damage do more damage than ele weapon, you ain't good at ESO.

Is that why PvE magplars use ele weapon over sweep? It's not rocket science, 1 sec cast time vs instant dmg.

no, pve magplars use ele weapon over sweep because ele weapon is ranged, and sweep is costly, so you can't sustain with it. that does not mean ele weapon does more damage than sweep, it just means that it's a more efficient choice when playing as a ranged dps in a trial. if you're able to sustain, ele weapon does not do nearly as much damage as sweep.

let me ask you this--would a warden use ele weapon over shalks, or a necro use it over blastbones? no, not even close. priority on shalks and blastbones is way ahead of a spammable, whether it's ele weapon or something else.

sweep does roughly 30-40% more damage (depending on how you calculate it, source/my parses from that thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6246918/#Comment_6246918) as ele weapon, and can effectively be weaved at about .85 channels/sec. on a very very good parse, you will be able to weave ele weapon about .93-94/sec. it's very clear which ability will do more damage, provided the player in question can actually weave the channel well, has 100% uptime in melee, and can sustain it. i think actually weaving it fast enough is where a lot of people have """""""issues""""""".

i guess you can look at this another way--does one cast of ele weapon do as much damage as shalks or blastbones? clearly it doesn't, and sweep does about the same damage as those abilities, but is a 1s channel, meaning it can't be weaved as fast (but almost).

Ele weapon is more expensive than sweep, stop embarrassing yourself. Sweep being melee is not detrimental at all because it heals a lot PvE. In PvE stamina is always favored over magicka anyways, and stamina classes are melee. Not to mention that in PvE you always stand in melee range whether you are melee or ranged. This isn't WoW...

https://www.esologs.com/zone/rankings/12#boss=44&class=Templar&spec=MagickaDPS&partition=1

Only 9 parses on the top 100 aren't using ele weapon. 7 of them are using force pulse, 1 is not using a spammable, only 1 is using sweep.

Ele weapon has a base cost of 2654 with the psijic passives, and up until the patch this week, Sweep had a base cost of 2952, minus uh.. 5 percent from the templar passive? The base cost was just reduced to 2700 with the patch. They may be about equal now, but they weren't 96 hours ago.

it was literally only changed last week, and instead you just went and looked at the base costs of each ability without considering the passives at all, and the base cost of ele weapon was higher than sweep in elsweyr, but the cost reduction passive brought it down below the cost of sweep.

why are you linking yolnakriin parses? it's not a fight where you can have 100% uptime on melee. ele weapon will clearly pull ahead there when you get a damage boost on the iron servants. on top of that, all ofthose parses are from elsweyr, or when sweep had a higher cost than ele weapon.

[Edit to remove bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on August 17, 2019 1:40AM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer