Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagBlade Theorycrafting Changes Thread

• GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    So I've run a few bgs and was rolling around in cyro some. I have to say I disagree with it's hard to keep up vs two players. I did a little tweaking on my current more meta build and I feel like an animal. I'm still in my btb body and actually using blood spawn now with spinners front bar 1 infused recovery 2 protective and the lovely brp resto with healing ward.

That build I have like a little under 25k pen and a ton of hots. I went with pen because I didn't feel maxing SD or mag would help. Its kind of a bad thing in a way, small, but still now that I type it it feels bad. Back bar heals scale off of three separate sources. Rapid Regen scales off spell damage, cloak off of hp, and if I'm not mistaken ward off of mag. I guess rapid and path both scale from mag also but you get my general point

What skills are you using? I use Transmutation which makes it hard to use the BRP resto unless I go double resto bars.

I’m curious, are you using rapid regen? I’ve been using mutagen and am wondering if that’s the issue, for me survivability feels way down.

Why can't you proc Transmutation on a Destro bar? As long as you have an HoT running it will transfer over and the 5 piece will activate.

Yeah I used to run 5 pc SPC when funnel health was the bis. I was a great front bar for small scale with necro and vma resto. Unfortunately that style died with funnel for me.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I've run a few bgs and was rolling around in cyro some. I have to say I disagree with it's hard to keep up vs two players. I did a little tweaking on my current more meta build and I feel like an animal. I'm still in my btb body and actually using blood spawn now with spinners front bar 1 infused recovery 2 protective and the lovely brp resto with healing ward.

That build I have like a little under 25k pen and a ton of hots. I went with pen because I didn't feel maxing SD or mag would help. Its kind of a bad thing in a way, small, but still now that I type it it feels bad. Back bar heals scale off of three separate sources. Rapid Regen scales off spell damage, cloak off of hp, and if I'm not mistaken ward off of mag. I guess rapid and path both scale from mag also but you get my general point

What skills are you using? I use Transmutation which makes it hard to use the BRP resto unless I go double resto bars.

I’m curious, are you using rapid regen? I’ve been using mutagen and am wondering if that’s the issue, for me survivability feels way down.

Why can't you proc Transmutation on a Destro bar? As long as you have an HoT running it will transfer over and the 5 piece will activate.

Well I’m using swift, Transmutation and bloodspawn. I could run a hot like swallow soul on my damage bar or refreshing path... I’ll have to think about it.

I usually use one bar for damage and my resto bar for defense/escape. I prefer dark cloak on my healing bar since I need to keep the shadow passives up, and I’m finding the cost on refreshing path kills the ability. 3k cost every 3 seconds for expedition is too much, I don’t want to be OOM as soon as I engage.

I’m finding with the changes all the NB healing abilities are underwhelming except for healthy Offering and Soul Siphon.

Edit - make that Soul Siphon. In no-CP things are burstier and the health dot from healthy offering’s turning into a real liability. Lack of aoe healing makes me think NB pvp healing is at a disadvantage. Going to try out my warden and Templar for a bit to compare.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 13, 2019 4:33PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still running my high direct damage recovery build since I havent had a lot of time to play/theorycraft a lot these past few months because of IRL issues.

Played a lot the other day and it's still very very nice both in BGs, IC, and cyro. The snare removal of race against time really made it a lot easier for magblades to survive solo against groups.

Looking at the patch notes, the "new" dots look interesting. Might revisit a dot magblade build I had from a couple of years prior. It's a more "warlock-y" tanky playstyle that I really enjoyed before refreshing path got gutted. It's gonna be a destro snb build most likely.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sold on the dots yet. I have been running a build with soul trap, degeneration, and cripple. I'll have to say those tool tips look nice but in reality unless you catch that person away from a group it's pointless. You dot them up and they runback to thier numbers. The only interesting dot setup I've seen is a ganker that killed me, but they were working in a pair. Had one guy dot me up and mark me while the other just soul assault. It was just mean, but very effective.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sold on the dots yet. I have been running a build with soul trap, degeneration, and cripple. I'll have to say those tool tips look nice but in reality unless you catch that person away from a group it's pointless. You dot them up and they runback to thier numbers. The only interesting dot setup I've seen is a ganker that killed me, but they were working in a pair. Had one guy dot me up and mark me while the other just soul assault. It was just mean, but very effective.

yeah magblades cant do well with purely dots, still need that execute or soul harvest burst to finish the target off.

• wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    Still running my high direct damage recovery build since I havent had a lot of time to play/theorycraft a lot these past few months because of IRL issues.

Played a lot the other day and it's still very very nice both in BGs, IC, and cyro. The snare removal of race against time really made it a lot easier for magblades to survive solo against groups.

Looking at the patch notes, the "new" dots look interesting. Might revisit a dot magblade build I had from a couple of years prior. It's a more "warlock-y" tanky playstyle that I really enjoyed before refreshing path got gutted. It's gonna be a destro snb build most likely.
    Magicka Nightblade should be a decent class for a DOT build, since you get an extra class DOT, cloak, and two burst options (Merciless + Ultimate) to squeeze in as well. Alternatively, since basically everyone in BGs is ultra-squishy right now and ground AOE isn't nearly as common as it used to be, you could skip most of the DOTs and basically play a glass cannon gank build and do well against most teams.

Don't expect to revive a tanky build, though. I've yet to see anyone that I'd describe as the least bit tanky in Battlegrounds so far this patch. I tried out Fortified Brass (along with still using 3x Protective) on my Magicka Necromancer for a bit, and it still felt like I was almost naked.
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zammo wrote: »
    ...flame reach is a stun...

Not in Scalebreaker it isn't. You'll need Clench for that, but then you lose the DoT, range, and reduced cost.

They kill Destructive Touch in the current Patch... I'm playing with no Stun because it was the only one I had, now MagBlade doesn't have any range Stun...

They should rework the Fear Trap and make it to a single target projectile Fear, same as the one from the Mages in Skyreach Catacombs.

Flame Clench damage is basically inexistent, and 15m it's not enough to be a truly range skill...
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »

Magicka Nightblade should be a decent class for a DOT build, since you get an extra class DOT, cloak, and two burst options (Merciless + Ultimate) to squeeze in as well. Alternatively, since basically everyone in BGs is ultra-squishy right now and ground AOE isn't nearly as common as it used to be, you could skip most of the DOTs and basically play a glass cannon gank build and do well against most teams.

Don't expect to revive a tanky build, though. I've yet to see anyone that I'd describe as the least bit tanky in Battlegrounds so far this patch. I tried out Fortified Brass (along with still using 3x Protective) on my Magicka Necromancer for a bit, and it still felt like I was almost naked.

At the moment I already have a bursty build that does really well. My next goal is to make a tanky dot build.

Magblades can be tanky because of the other cloak of morph. I also think fortified brass isn't the best way to making a tanky magblade. Anyway I dont want to be super duper tanky like the ones who build for all out damage who does potato damage. Just tanky enough to survive being out in the open against a couple of people while having enough pressure to get kills.

Edited by HowlKimchi on August 14, 2019 3:52PM

• GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

At the moment I already have a bursty build that does really well. My next goal is to make a tanky dot build.

Magblades can be tanky because of the other cloak of morph. I also think fortified brass isn't the best way to making a tanky magblade. Anyway I dont want to be super duper tanky like the ones who build for all out damage who does potato damage. Just tanky enough to survive being out in the open against a couple of people while having enough pressure to get kills.

I almost... And I feel like a bum dart for saying this. But I want to run a Tanky build with sloads. IDK why but I just do
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost... And I feel like a bum dart for saying this. But I want to run a Tanky build with sloads. IDK why but I just do

6k8Lr0E.gif

• kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe try knight slayer with heavy fortified brass & zaan.
    Use reverb bash.

When the proc sets do all the damage you can use jewelry enchants & mundus for sustain.

Is knight slayer & zaan affected by your penetration rating?
    Cast swallow soul or cripple/debilitate for ult regen & use the new onslaught to gain penetration.
    Edited by kaithuzar on August 14, 2019 5:49PM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chelo wrote: »
    ...flame reach is a stun...

Not in Scalebreaker it isn't. You'll need Clench for that, but then you lose the DoT, range, and reduced cost.

They kill Destructive Touch in the current Patch... I'm playing with no Stun because it was the only one I had, now MagBlade doesn't have any range Stun...

They should rework the Fear Trap and make it to a single target projectile Fear, same as the one from the Mages in Skyreach Catacombs.

Flame Clench damage is basically inexistent, and 15m it's not enough to be a truly range skill...

They started getting rid of ranged Magblade last patch. This furthers that. Magsorc ended up with a similar issue as well. Medium range is honestly more balanced than the 40M bs of before.

Yet melee stam builds still crying about range mag toons...
    Edited by Insco851 on August 14, 2019 6:08PM
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »

Maybe try knight slayer with heavy fortified brass & zaan.
    Use reverb bash.

When the proc sets do all the damage you can use jewelry enchants & mundus for sustain.

Is knight slayer & zaan affected by your penetration rating?
    Cast swallow soul or cripple/debilitate for ult regen & use the new onslaught to gain penetration.

I still have on dressing room tab a build I ran alot in bgs that was focused around heavy attacks. This was before knight Slayer was changed to a heavy attack set. Instead of fort brass I really liked reactive. Once you start that heavy you're almost always snared if I remember correctly my build was reactive body, master lightning, lich back bar with skoria. Might still work well minus the master lightning, will need some tweaks.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’d steer clear of fortified brass. Onslaught is common enough that it’s pretty ineffective to build your resistances too high.

I’ve been playing BGs with buffer of the swift, Transmutation and Bloodspawn and I still get deleted in 2-3 seconds under pressure.

I think in the current meta it’s best to glass canon it up. I don’t see a point in tanky builds.

Another thing I discovered today, Soul Siphon can be interrupted. I’m not sure if it follows the same cast time as other abilities, but the animation is about a second long. I was interrupted by a leap near the end of the animation, so I’m pretty sure it’s a 1 second interruption window...

Add onto that healthy Offering is nowhere near as effective with buffed dots and lowered survivability and I think magblade pvp healing’s pretty much dead.

Going to switch things up with vampire, Shadowy Disguise, Caal with 2 hander and give that a go. I saw one magblade who did well in a glassy build, it’s just the healer role that’s bad with this patch.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 14, 2019 6:49PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nb healing is absolutely fine. Alot of otherthinking going on in this thread.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d steer clear of fortified brass. Onslaught is common enough that it’s pretty ineffective to build your resistances too high.

I’ve been playing BGs with buffer of the swift, Transmutation and Bloodspawn and I still get deleted in 2-3 seconds under pressure.

I think in the current meta it’s best to glass canon it up. I don’t see a point in tanky builds.

Another thing I discovered today, Soul Siphon can be interrupted. I’m not sure if it follows the same cast time as other abilities, but the animation is about a second long. I was interrupted by a leap near the end of the animation, so I’m pretty sure it’s a 1 second interruption window...

Add onto that healthy Offering is nowhere near as effective with buffed dots and lowered survivability and I think magblade pvp healing’s pretty much dead.

Going to switch things up with vampire, Shadowy Disguise, Caal with 2 hander and give that a go. I saw one magblade who did well in a glassy build, it’s just the healer role that’s bad with this patch.

I don't heal but maybe a pve buff *** but on the point of shadow disguise, and going heavy offensive glass cannon. Why would you not be a vampire? You're gonna get 2-3 shot anyway if you're caught out
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I don't heal but maybe a pve buff *** but on the point of shadow disguise, and going heavy offensive glass cannon. Why would you not be a vampire? You're gonna get 2-3 shot anyway if you're caught out

Yea, that’s what I mean.

Before I tanked up and did well. I don’t think that strategy is effective anymore, so there’s no reason to take the stat hit from wearing a defensive set for pvp. I steered clear of vampire to be tankier as well.

I think I’m going to try Balorg, bright throat and caal with the BRP resto on the back bar. I think with burst how it is mist form plus the extra recovery’s worth it.
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    Nb healing is absolutely fine. Alot of otherthinking going on in this thread.

Well it’s like this. When you don’t like refreshing path, healthy Offering, Soul Siphon, and funnel health. Why be a NB. NB for cyrodiil works fine, for BGs I’m finding it lacking.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 15, 2019 4:02AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • zammo
    zammo
    ✭✭✭
    ...Another thing I discovered today, Soul Siphon can be interrupted.....

If that happened, then it's a bug. The patch notes specifically say it cannot be interrupted. Maybe our old friend lag?

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If that happened, then it's a bug. The patch notes specifically say it cannot be interrupted. Maybe our old friend lag?

Maybe a bug, I didn’t see anything in the patch notes saying it’s uninteruptable. I’d say in BGs it’ll fire about half the time, and with such a long animation that would put it in the useless category.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭

Tbh your build sounds like the bees knees, that you added bloodspawn. My cuppa exactly.

I keep looking at twice born star + spinners for max pen tho....
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Tbh your build sounds like the bees knees, that you added bloodspawn. My cuppa exactly.

Twice born star has always been interesting to me but I have never actually used it. I just don't think 2 mundus are worth it
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭

Twice born star has always been interesting to me but I have never actually used it. I just don't think 2 mundus are worth it

Ok so i have it on my stamblade and am hitting the highest pvp combos ive ever hit. (Like consistent 14k incap/will proc) but idk how that translates to magblade. I only look to tbs when i cant get those mundus stats elsewhere more efficiently. Like i wouldn't pick tbs w. Lover /apprentice over spinners + apprentice but if i want higher pen there isn't really a better option available if i am already using spinners.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok so i have it on my stamblade and am hitting the highest pvp combos ive ever hit. (Like consistent 14k incap/will proc) but idk how that translates to magblade. I only look to tbs when i cant get those mundus stats elsewhere more efficiently. Like i wouldn't pick tbs w. Lover /apprentice over spinners + apprentice but if i want higher pen there isn't really a better option available if i am already using spinners.

I guess your stats wouldn't be all to low. Maybe run atro as the 2nd mundus and then all 3 spell damage jewels. On my lizard with that I would probably be around 35k mag, 20k hp, and I would think 13-14k Stam if I wasn't running a food. I might craft an armor set to give it a shot
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well I’m using swift, Transmutation and bloodspawn. I could run a hot like swallow soul on my damage bar or refreshing path... I’ll have to think about it.

I usually use one bar for damage and my resto bar for defense/escape. I prefer dark cloak on my healing bar since I need to keep the shadow passives up, and I’m finding the cost on refreshing path kills the ability. 3k cost every 3 seconds for expedition is too much, I don’t want to be OOM as soon as I engage.
    You don't need a hot on the front bar. Any hot you cast from vBRP resto bar will proc trans on transmutation destro front bar. It is a very common way of using trans on support builds. Refreshing path and mutagen will keep proccing it all the time. Also refreshing path is more like 5 sec of expedition because it lingers after you leave path. Dropping this skill, especially after the heal buff is a massive nerf to your healing and group utility on nb. It is also the best way to keep up shadow passives.
    Edited by Koensol on August 16, 2019 6:02AM
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It is not actually an interrupt. Its just the cc from leap that takes you out of the animation. The actual heal only applies at the end of the animation. YAAAY for removing animation cancelling for this skill, huh? Such great fun!
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

You don't need a hot on the front bar. Any hot you cast from vBRP resto bar will proc trans on transmutation destro front bar. It is a very common way of using trans on support builds. Refreshing path and mutagen will keep proccing it all the time. Also refreshing path is more like 5 sec of expedition because it lingers after you leave path. Dropping this skill, especially after the heal buff is a massive nerf to your healing and group utility on nb. It is also the best way to keep up shadow passives.

I love refreshing path. I like it so much more that rat just because of the passives and the healing. Path and phantismal are beautiful pairing
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So question... 2h ult ignores resistances correct? Does it effect crit resistances as well? And if the entire point of cloak blade is to not get hit right... Why and the hell do I run impen. I need to be well fit or divine, and if, if I went all divine it might make a tbs build kinda viable... I need more lag free time to play
  • Zevrro
    Zevrro
    ✭✭✭✭
    So question... 2h ult ignores resistances correct? Does it effect crit resistances as well? And if the entire point of cloak blade is to not get hit right... Why and the hell do I run impen. I need to be well fit or divine, and if, if I went all divine it might make a tbs build kinda viable... I need more lag free time to play

You're never going to completely avoid being hit unless you don't engage in fights. For the moments where you can be damaged you need mitigation or you're just going to get bursted. The difference between getting hit by a critical strike wearing full impen vs no impen is huge.
    @Zevrro PC-EU
    CP 1200+
    Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/Bahlokdaan
    Magicka Nightblade

AD | Zevrro
    | Magicka Nightblade | AR43 |
    AD | Zevrro II | Magicka Nightblade | AR50 | 09-02-2019 |
    DC | Not Zevrro | Magicka Nightblade | AR33 |
    EP | Ževrro | Magicka Nightblade | AR14 |
    Other PvP Characters
    AD | Zevrro VII | Stamina Warden | AR33 |
    AD | Zevrro XII | Magicka Warden | AR22 |
    DC | Not Zevrro II | Magicka Warden | AR14 |
    DC | Necrotic Zevrro | Magicka Necromancer | AR17 |
    EP | Real-Skyice | Stamina Warden | AR10 |

>156m AP
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've struggled with this dilemma as you can imagine. :) I still run 4 impen to get about 2300 crit res so that I don't get exploded on a bad hit. I only have 18k hp so it's vital that when I do get hit, it's not for massive damage. 4 more divine pieces aren't going to tip you into vastly better ttk territory.

BTW I don't want to be a complainer. And heaven knows that over the years I've probably been too negative and felt like posting a who wants my stuff thread despite how much I love this game, but this patch is really not the direction I would like to see the game go. Hopefully I can come back fresh to it in a little while.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

I love refreshing path. I like it so much more that rat just because of the passives and the healing. Path and phantismal are beautiful pairing
    Same here man. It is my favourite nb skill and whenever it's not on my bar it feels wrong. My backbar setup has been the same for a long time: phantasmal escape, siphoning strikes, ward ally, dark cloak, refreshing path. If I wanna do more grouphealing I remove siphoning strikes for mutagen (used to be rapid regen before current patch).