Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

the best pvp class

hek5xy2
hek5xy2
Soul Shriven
Hey.

I wanted to ask, what's the best class for pvp right now? (mag)

And what race to choose? (altmer or breton, or something else?)
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warden... can work with any race.
  • RebornRequiem
    RebornRequiem
    ✭✭✭
    I think this patch did a lot to balance mag classes compared to each other. Pretty much all mag classes are very strong now. Magdens and magcroes surely need some twerks still, but especially magcroes cought up.
    Magplars probably benefitted the most this patch and caught up with the previously strong classes like dk and sorc.

For a ranking, I would go for something like this:

Magsorc
    Magplar
    Magdk
    Magnb
    Magcro
    Magden

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To me it looks like magplar, magden and Magnecro are the strongest, but it’s early.

For pvp I’d go altmer, Nord or Argonian.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 13, 2019 10:17PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • RebornRequiem
    RebornRequiem
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    To me it looks like magplar, magden and Magnecro are the strongest, but it’s early.

where did you leave magsorcs?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They're there somewhere below those other classes. Magsorcs will always have the best stats on your group because of their execute, but your group is still better off with someone of those other classes imo.

My general feeling is this patch magsorcs and magblades are pretty weak. Cross healing is too important and those two classes typically play selfish builds. It's still early, but that's what I'm thinking.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 13, 2019 10:52PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • RebornRequiem
    RebornRequiem
    ✭✭✭

They're there somewhere below those other classes. Magsorcs will always have the best stats on your group because of their execute, but your group is still better off with someone of those other classes imo.

My general feeling is this patch magsorcs and magblades are pretty weak. Cross healing is too important and those two classes typically play selfish builds. It's still early, but that's what I'm thinking.

Well I was talking about solo PvP, where magsorcs still are top with the changes.
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magplar is in a very good spot right now.
  • hek5xy2
    hek5xy2
    Soul Shriven
    how good is the necromancer now?
    I have magtemp/magden and magsorc so I wanted to play necro (i dont like nb and dk)

everyone on eso, on the internet and youtube say that it makes sense to play only magsorc and magtemp. How is it?
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc, Magplar
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always changing so play what you like, mag is usually distance, stam is usually melee

Id go with Breton for a magicka based toon and orc for a stamina based toon (or redguard if you dont like the orc look, which is great by the way :love: )

• Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I was talking about solo PvP, where magsorcs still are top with the changes.

They aren't.

Shields got destroyed.

Pets got destroyed.

Range got destroyed.

Every magclasses has received better defense than sorc because they synergise better with healing than sorc.

Every magclass can do better damage by slotting the generics dots because shields cost so much than sorc have no damage if they want to sustain.

l
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    Invisibility is still the best mitigation skill in the game so I tend to NB for solo.
  • RebornRequiem
    RebornRequiem
    ✭✭✭
    Aedaryl wrote: »

They aren't.

Shields got destroyed.

Pets got destroyed.

Range got destroyed.

Every magclasses has received better defense than sorc because they synergise better with healing than sorc.

Every magclass can do better damage by slotting the generics dots because shields cost so much than sorc have no damage if they want to sustain.

l

Magsorc is far away from gutted. They still have the best damage shield, have a vigor like healing under that shield with rapid regen or a breath of life heal with the matriarch. With degeneration and soul trap they got two strong dots like the other classes now in addition to their bursty nature with frags and curse. Also their bar space problem to some extent was resolved thanks to degeneration as new major sorcery with strong secondary effects, the loss of need of two damage shields thanks to rapid regen and an unavoidable stun streak, which was on their bars anyway. Still they have among magclasses the best mobility and strong damage while maintaining strong defense capabilities.
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't.

Shields got destroyed.

Pets got destroyed.

Range got destroyed.

l

Shields are stronger if you build for it.

Pets were seriously OP, just use non-Pet now and L2P.

Range? Possibly but them being at 28m and stunning on cool down with Reach was dumb AF.
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't.

Shields got destroyed.

Pets got destroyed.

Range got destroyed.

l

Magsorc is far away from gutted. They still have the best damage shield, have a vigor like healing under that shield with rapid regen or a breath of life heal with the matriarch. With degeneration and soul trap they got two strong dots like the other classes now in addition to their bursty nature with frags and curse. Also their bar space problem to some extent was resolved thanks to degeneration as new major sorcery with strong secondary effects, the loss of need of two damage shields thanks to rapid regen and an unavoidable stun streak, which was on their bars anyway. Still they have among magclasses the best mobility and strong damage while maintaining strong defense capabilities.

You have no idea how sorc work.

The best damage shield by 10%. 10% is nothing, everyone can run Dampen and feel like a magsorc, if other don't, it's because it's BAD. Far too much expensive and unsustainable.

Sorc was good at shielding because Hardened was cheaper and stacked well with harness. Now, Hardened is size nerfed and cost 810 more magicka, costing the same than Dampen. And Harness magicka got nerfed.

You can no longer sustain sorc because sorc defense (= shield) is far too expensive and Healing on a sorc is very bad because sorc have 0 healing modifiers.

Matriarch is not worth it a all, it take 2 slots for pitty damage. And the difference between BoL and Matriarch in term of healing is the cost. Templar go low sustain and HoTD giving them a lot of ressource on their burst heal. Sorc has it expensive and without the templar healing modifier. Anyway, matriarch dealing less than 1k damage for 2 slots is a waste, especially with the new HoT and DoTs.

Sorc have mobility and that's all. Because sustain is so hard, they either need to escape all the time when it's not needed because OOM or invest even more into sustain to be able to fight and loose a ton of damage.
    ThePedge wrote: »

They aren't.

Shields got destroyed.

Pets got destroyed.

Range got destroyed.

l

Range? Possibly but them being at 28m and stunning on cool down with Reach was dumb AF.

Shields aren't stronger if you build for it.

The fact that you literally write the natch potes notes proove how much you know about sorc, aka 0 knowledge.

You will NEVER got a stronger shield than before. Because the size got nerfed and because you need far more sustain than before.

The cap story is a PvE thing. Have no impact on PvP because you cannot even reach the older cap o.

Because matriarch was OP, it know deserve to be useless in every single senario, both PvP and PvE ? I don't think so.

Stunning from range OP ? You should L2P if you could not see the OBVIOUS annimation and TRAVEL time, coupled with the TELEGRAPHED burst, all indicated when the sorc was stunning.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say except for magnecro, every magclass is viable enough to play any content you want. Just pick the class you like the most then practice/get good with it and you'll be fine.

Having said that though, Magplars and Mag sorcs are easy to get into.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve seen some magnecros do well. I think the changes helped them as a class, people saying they’re underpowered is outdated.

Sorcs are okay... I’ve seen a couple do decently but they’re nothing special.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is a healing patch so classes that heal most efficiently will be at the top - that's Templar. Honor the dead is hugely efficient, and Extended Ritual is the best hot right now, big heals, and totally negates the dot meta for your group. Dk is right around there too. If Mag warden and Mag Necro start being named in this thread, it will be because of their healing ability.

Notice none of these classes are particularly mobile.

Cloak is so good it carries NB through adverse meta shifts.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve seen some magnecros do well. I think the changes helped them as a class, people saying they’re underpowered is outdated.

Magicka Necromancer's offense is leaps and bounds better than it was before the patch on Monday, but it's still probably behind other Magicka builds in that regard. You can use the same 3 "generic" DOTs as everyone else, and you do get +10% DOT damage from a class passive, but you don't have a class DOT and Blastbones is still not that great in a lot of situations (but reverting the nerfs that happened between Elsweyr PTS and early access did help a bit). Rapid Regeneration + Intensive Mender is a decent combo for self healing...when the Mender doesn't bug out and just float around doing absolutely nothing. But everyone, Magicka Necromancer included, is so squishy right now that staying alive vs burst is a big problem in no-CP.

I had one game Monday night where I died 12 times in one BG, which is probably the most I've ever died on any character since BGs became a thing. Sure, I'd probably have died less if my team wasn't terrible, but I'd also have died less if that exact same game happened the day before. Builds that lack mobility and can't dodge-spam or perma-block *need* to have more survivability options.

To answer the OP's question: Dragon Knights, Nightblades, and Templar are probably the top performing Magicka classes that I've seen in Battlegrounds so far. It's still too early to say if that'll remain true until the next patch (and possibly beyond), but anecdotally that seems to be how things are looking at the moment.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    It is a healing patch so classes that heal most efficiently will be at the top - that's Templar. Honor the dead is hugely efficient, and Extended Ritual is the best hot right now, big heals, and totally negates the dot meta for your group. Dk is right around there too. If Mag warden and Mag Necro start being named in this thread, it will be because of their healing ability.

Notice none of these classes are particularly mobile.

Cloak is so good it carries NB through adverse meta shifts.

I think this answer depends on setting. Burst is way up, like way up, against magicka classes in no-CP.

Healing itself doesn’t cut it. I’ve done BGs where everyone was over 1 million damage with 200k healing, we did well but still lost.

For battlegrounds at least... I see the classes do well who have the best defense mechanism. That’s wardens (shimmering shield), DK’s with their tankiness and Templars with their cleanse. NB is the same as always, cloak is great against noobs but so easily counterable, especially since BGs are more aoe spam then ever thanks to survivability nerfs.

Cloak and streak are probably great solo, but everyone seems to be still running around in a mini ball so streaking away or cloaking won’t help you win an engagement, just run away.

The classes who’re doing best are the ones who can be aggressive with defense up. Spamming shields as a sorc seems to be delaying the inevitable, get 4 sorcs together against 4 stam and the sorcs are getting steamrolled every time from what I’m seeing.

I still haven’t seen a NB do well. From what I’ve seen they mostly hang out at the back and try and use their team as a shield. They might die the least on the team and get good KvD ratios, but that’s not how you win a death match.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 14, 2019 2:23PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorc have mobility and that's all. Because sustain is so hard, they either need to escape all the time when it's not needed because OOM or invest even more into sustain to be able to fight and loose a ton of damage.

They aren't.

Shields got destroyed.

Pets got destroyed.

Range got destroyed.

l

The fact that you literally write the natch potes notes proove how much you know about sorc, aka 0 knowledge.

You will NEVER got a stronger shield than before. Because the size got nerfed and because you need far more sustain than before.

The cap story is a PvE thing. Have no impact on PvP because you cannot even reach the older cap o.

Because matriarch was OP, it know deserve to be useless in every single senario, both PvP and PvE ? I don't think so.

Stunning from range OP ? You should L2P if you could not see the OBVIOUS annimation and TRAVEL time, coupled with the TELEGRAPHED burst, all indicated when the sorc was stunning.

You clearly have no idea what you are doing if you can't make Shields stronger than before.

Why do you need more sustain? Your 1 button gtfo skill has less fatigue?

Pets aren't useless, petsorc is still stronger in PvE than StamPlar, StamBlade, MagPlar, MagBlade.

Yeah but I can't dodge/block 24/7 while they are spamming Reach so I will eventually get stunned. Reach change was very good.
    Edited by ThePedge on August 14, 2019 3:12PM
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orc mag necro
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really outdated. Sure they buffs were a step in the right direction but the class needs more reliability.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't.

Shields got destroyed.

Pets got destroyed.

Range got destroyed.

l

You clearly have no idea what you are doing if you can't make Shields stronger than before.

Why do you need more sustain? Your 1 button gtfo skill has less fatigue?

Pets aren't useless, petsorc is still stronger in PvE than StamPlar, StamBlade, MagPlar, MagBlade.

Yeah but I can't dodge/block 24/7 while they are spamming Reach so I will eventually get stunned. Reach change was very good.

You clearly have ZERO idea about how sorc work.

This is a shame at this point. If you don't know, don't spread misinformation.

1. Shield size got nerfed by 9% on hardened ward. That's mean you need more magicka to get the same shield than before. ZoS hasn't introduced a way to get more magicka in scalbreaker than before.

In fact, sorcerer have LESS magicka than before : Scamp being bad in PvP since always and Matriarch being nerfed to useless mean that sorcerer can no longer proc Necropotence 5 pieces, resulting in a max magicka nerf.

What people seems to be a buff is the Shield CAP increase, which has NO EFFECT on PvP. The reason is simple : You coudn't reach the old 50% HP cap, an increase cap is so useless.

In Scalebreaker, Sorcs lost some max magicka (no necro) and lost 9% shield strengh.

There is NO WAY shield could be stronger than before.

Since I have "no idea what you are doing if you can't make Shields stronger than before", you can certainly explain me no ?

2. Sorc need more sustain because Hardened ward, the main defensive tool that need to be refreshed every 2 to 3s got a 810 base cost increase. Also, harness magicka, the old OP shield that was giving more ressources than it costed got nerfed to give considerably less ressources than it's own cost.

Also, Streak have now a double usage : You need to stun from melee with it and you need to use it for escaping.

That's mean the cost fatigue descrease doesn't increase the overall sorc sustain because you need to use streak more than before.

Cost fatigue last 4s and CC immunity last 6s. That's mean 2/3 of the time you are under 1 stack of fatigue just by fighting your ennemy.

If you want to escape, you will 2/3 of time started escaping with a 33% cost increase when before they was none (the stun was reach).

Also, sorcerer being forced to melee range for stunning, that's mean that you start escaping from melee when before you started escaping from range. That's mean you need to streak more to take the same distance than before.

3. Pets are useless in PvP. Matriarch is useless for everyone in the competive scene. Only the scamp is now used, because tourmentor got nerfed. This is a PvP topic, not PvE and in PvP Pets are useless now.

4. You aren't supposed to block/dodge everysingle stun. This patch, almost everyone have an undodgeable/unblockable stun. If you find being stunned by a projectile you can react and decide to avoid was difficult, then you aren't ready to take stun where you cannot react at all.
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy has no idea how sorc work too.

Literally no idea.
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't.

Shields got destroyed.

Pets got destroyed.

Range got destroyed.

l

Can you please provide an example of a build that would result in stronger shields than pre patch?

Also even if they are theoretically stronger - which they aren´t because they´re in any case scaling 9% worse. The cost still got increased by 25%.

Magsorc can still kill potatos. It´s not a competetive class though. It has fights that are straight up unwinable unless you massively outclass your opponent - and bc of this i´d be very hesitant to call the class anything more than mediocre even for solo pvp.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    Magsorc can still kill potatos. It´s not a competetive class though. It has fights that are straight up unwinable unless you massively outclass your opponent - and bc of this i´d be very hesitant to call the class anything more than mediocre even for solo pvp.
    As far as Magicka classes go, especially if you have a healer around, I'd say Mag Sorc is pretty solid. The burst damage is really good, and that's absolutely king right now. All the fretting from various players about a "DOT Meta" is *way* overblown, at least as far as BGs go. I guess getting drive-by DOT stacked by Cyrodiil zergs might be annoying, but burst is still far better in BGs. I've seen so many 1-2 shots of...almost everyone, that it's not really funny anymore.