Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I still can’t believe we have people complaining about the look of vampirism

• david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant believe we still have poeple complaining about complainers
  • morrowjen
    morrowjen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did TES/ESO vampire lore get chopped down to one type of vampirism? More amazingly, how did it happen to be one that just so happens to fit with the notion that vampire players should be punished aesthetically even though we have multiple examples of vampirism manifesting otherwise?
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is a cosmetic a disadvantage? It serves no combat or balance purpose and does not affect you whatsoever. If players are unhappy with the locked cosmetic, who are you to debate that? You have nothing to do with it or them.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't be vamp, its ugly.
    Edited by Casterial on August 14, 2019 3:01AM
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the appearance is subjective so it's a downside for some and not for others...

But really the fact that it turns those with darker skin colours/fur/markings white instead of paler is what bothers me the most.
    Edited by ListerJMC on August 14, 2019 3:06AM
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • ArcaneBlue
    ArcaneBlue
    ✭✭✭
    so the drawback of being a vampire is being fugly, not the additional flame damage taken? if normal humanoid races can wear the scaly deadwater skin, then why can't vampires wear mortal skin?
    #teamEmeric
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still can't believe we have people complaining about people complaining about the look of vampirism.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ListerJMC wrote: »
    Well the appearance is subjective so it's a downside for some and not for others...

But really the fact that it turns those with darker skin colours/fur/markings white instead of paler is what bothers me the most.

This is what people don't get. A drawback needs to be universal.

If you like the look of vampirism or don't care about what your character looks like, then vampirism has no drawbacks for you. You get a free resource buff. That's terrible game design.

This is why gameplay perks need gameplay drawbacks.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 14, 2019 5:42AM
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, thank you. I'm swooping in again with that broken record: the fact that it turns POC white is especially bothersome. I think, if the textures were updated and integrated in a more sensitive and logical way, people would be a lot less upset. There are ways to do "undead" that don't minimize racial identities, don't inexplicably turn fur and scales and tattoos white, and don't look gaudy on top of it. ZOS has this thing about not updating old assets, but I think this is a case where they absolutely should make an exception.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zParallaxz wrote: »
    Your not supposed to look aesthetically pleasing when you have vampirism. That’s one of the many disadvantages of it, it’s already a easy perk when you don’t have to feed and you get full passives. What’s next, people want a human polymorph for their demihuman characters.

Khajiit look good with vamp. They dont get the veins so more goth kitty lol
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • ArcaneBlue
    ArcaneBlue
    ✭✭✭
    vampires don't have blood flowing through their veins do they, that's why humanoid vamps look pale correct? vampirism itself shouldn't just turn your skin sickeningly blueish purplish white, so making body markings and tattoos white-ish doesn't make sense to me, oh and khajiit fur too...
    #teamEmeric
  • VDoom1
    VDoom1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People think vampires look bad in ESO? Hehehehhe, just look at those bat faces in Skyrim. xD

bptbuwjre9zz.png
    latest?cb=20180617185505

Enough said. Just looking at the ESO vampire makes me consider having my Necromancer turned into one.
    We Fight For Cyrodiil.
    We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
    We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
    We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
    We fight for Tamriel!
    CP 1200+
    Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
    Imperial Dragonknight
    Khajiit Necromancer
    Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
    Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
    Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
    Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
    Guild - Priests Of Hircine
    ESO Since 2014
    PC - EU
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People not liking vampire skin is such a bizarre thing to get mad over.

I think vampire should not change your skin, but instead unlock skins you can apply as you see fit.

There is no argument whatsoever about roleplay or fairness since there are plenty of skins you can apply that have no explanation whatsoever. All except natural skin.
    Edited by josh.lackey_ESO on August 14, 2019 5:38AM
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant believe there are people still trying to tell others what their characters should look like
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS could in fact be losing money by forcing a horrible skin on vampires. In a game where the vast majority of items in the cash shop are for cosmetic appearance and half of your player base are already as ugly AF, then they are closing the door to the utilisation of those cosmetics for a lot of people who would otherwise buy them. They should think again, and as @josh.lackey_ESO said above, it should unlock various different looks that the player may or may not choose. Choice is freedom, and freedom of appearance will encourage aesthetic and cosmetic purchases. ZOS should revisit this part of the game.
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama free social group enjoying PVE questing, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Noxavian wrote: »
    What people SHOULD be complaining about instead is the lack of vampire skills (Despite most basic vampire npcs having way more than we do) and the fact that every magic character takes vampire.

The fact that over half of the playerbase is vampires purely just because "it's the best on magic chars" is horrible design.

I can agree, when vampire has these sort of issues and all most people complain about is how they look it's....kind of off putting.

I think if magicka users are literally forced into a subclass then that's a bigger issue.

Not really. I do know competitive raiders who are not vampires. Further, some are vampires on some magicka characters but not all. Yes, it is min/maxing but it is very small in the end.

Great. Im glad you know people who are not vampires.

Unfortunately, the majority of the community would disagree with you.

The fact of the matter is MOST magicka characters are vampires simply because that's the "best world class" for magicka users.

• ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, thank you. I'm swooping in again with that broken record: the fact that it turns POC white is especially bothersome. I think, if the textures were updated and integrated in a more sensitive and logical way, people would be a lot less upset. There are ways to do "undead" that don't minimize racial identities, don't inexplicably turn fur and scales and tattoos white, and don't look gaudy on top of it. ZOS has this thing about not updating old assets, but I think this is a case where they absolutely should make an exception.

Yeah... My vampire is a Redguard. I was shocked when I saw what vampirism did to him (even in stage 1, which is supposedly 'a pale mortal with red eyes'). I complained about it a lot but nothing happened :|. I always make backstories for my characters and his involves being a vampire, so I don't want to cure him and miss out on dialogue. But the severity of the paleness for darker tones really doesn't sit well with me.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    msalvia wrote: »
    You know about the fire damage drawback right? And the health regen drawback? There is most definitely "gameplay drawbacks" beyond RP ones.

Health Regen doesn't matter. You're almost never relying on natural health recovery instead of firing off a heal.

The fire vulnerability is vastly overstated. It sounds like it'll matter, and if you don't have a lot of experience with vampires vs. non-vampires, it's easy to convince yourself that it's significant, but, no that fire was going to BBQ you anyway.
    Vampirism should have always been like WW where you need to slot a vampire skill in order to get the passives.

This used to be the case, in fact. The problem with this is, Werewolf is built around the ultimate. If you don't have the transform slotted, you might as well not be, you know, a werewolf. Vampires are always vampires, whether they've slotted batswarm or not. Combine this with the part where the vampire abilities are all either very situational, or not that good, and a skill line used primarily for its passives, and the entire idea starts to fall apart.
    Grandma wrote: »
    tip; your advantages start dropping off after stage 2, so i'd keep yourself there. it's not as bad at stage 2 either.

Undeath is very good. It's not impressive on paper, but it can keep you alive in some situations that would kill you. So, going down to Stage 3 is highly recommended for most characters. Nightstalker is very useful for stealth mobility. How useful it is to you will depend on playstyle, but unless you have a convincing reason to avoid it, you should always be, at least, at Stage 3.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    morrowjen wrote: »
    When did TES/ESO vampire lore get chopped down to one type of vampirism? More amazingly, how did it happen to be one that just so happens to fit with the notion that vampire players should be punished aesthetically even though we have multiple examples of vampirism manifesting otherwise?

No Elder Scrolls game to date (with a, partial exception in Skyrim) has allowed players access to more than one variety of vampirism at a time. Even Daggerfall and Morrowind, with their multiple clan structure, didn't really give us the full experience of playing as different bloodlines, just different factions within those bloodlines.

In ESO, with the entirety of Tamriel on display, that stands out a bit. We're always playing as members of the Lamae bloodline, even though we can encounter other bloodlines in our adventures.
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    I cant believe there are people still trying to tell others what their characters should look like
    This 100%
    How the hell does my character’s looks give a stranger the right to say what they look like?
  • Berserkerkitten
    Berserkerkitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eh, at least vampires still (mostly) retain their original looks, even though their faces resemble Palpatine's nutsack a bit. Werewolves get to choose from one of two generic appearances with zero alternative skins, customization or at least a fun little party hat to stand out from the crowd.
    Edited by Berserkerkitten on August 14, 2019 11:47AM
    Nobody cares about your endless list of terribly-named characters.
  • Sondernaam
    Sondernaam
    ✭✭✭
    I love the look of my vamp main - please do not change it!!
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sondernaam wrote: »

I just want my tattoos to be 25-50% more visibru
  • ArcaneBlue
    ArcaneBlue
    ✭✭✭
    Sondernaam wrote: »

"mortal skin" of a sort in the crown store, or even better, earned through questing should make many players happy. you get to choose if you wear it or not
    #teamEmeric
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what people don't get. A drawback needs to be universal.

If you like the look of vampirism or don't care about what your character looks like, then vampirism has no drawbacks for you. You get a free resource buff. That's terrible game design.

This is why gameplay perks need gameplay drawbacks.

Except, you know, fire damage

Because that's the downside not the look, which you can change using cosmetic skins or cover with armor.
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i can't believe people are complaining about people complaining about the look of vampirism
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Apply a skin people... problem solved.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delete
    Edited by spartaxoxo on August 14, 2019 1:24PM
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odovacar wrote: »
    Apply a skin people... problem solved.

No, its not. People put a lot of effort into how their avatar looks, including purchasing cosmetic (tattoos and makeups), and vampirism deletes al that effort. Skins solve nothing
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But i want some of those passives, but dont want to look like that.
    Ive seen Kate Beckinsale as a vampire :*
    Natural skin Zos. I have money