Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Overwhelming Surge

Fiewiel
Fiewiel
✭✭✭
I farmed the set, but if its 8m range, like in the patchnotes, its decon. Ingame its 12m on tooltip.
Whats correct? How do I test range?
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fiewiel wrote: »
    I farmed the set, but if its 8m range, like in the patchnotes, its decon. Ingame its 12m on tooltip.
    Whats correct? How do I test range?

8m range is fine if you're melee
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just got updated to 12 meters so if you want to pull nbs out of stealth from half way across the map it's fantastic
  • Fiewiel
    Fiewiel
    ✭✭✭
    It just got updated to 12 meters so if you want to pull nbs out of stealth from half way across the map it's fantastic

Where was it updated? If I look at the patchnotes I only see
    NEW: When you deal damage with a Class ability, you have a 33% chance to surround yourself with a torrent that deals 1040 Shock Damage to enemies within 8 meters of you every 1 second for 6 seconds. 15% of the damage you deal this way is restored to you as Magicka. This effect can occur every 6 seconds.
    Edited by Fiewiel on August 13, 2019 6:43PM
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran Tempest dozens of times in anticipation that it would be a good combo set with Thunderbug for ambient aggro holding on a spark tank. Haven't tried it yet, but at the very least it's going to make a good mob farming set for Public Dungeons and the like even post patch nerf :)
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

NEW: When you deal damage with a Class ability, you have a 33% chance to surround yourself with a torrent that deals 1040 Shock Damage to enemies within 8 meters of you every 1 second for 6 seconds. 15% of the damage you deal this way is restored to you as Magicka. This effect can occur every 6 seconds.

Hmm I swear my in game tool tip stated 12 meters and it seemed to work that way judging by how many nbs I pulled out of stealth with it.
  • Fiewiel
    Fiewiel
    ✭✭✭

Hmm I swear my in game tool tip stated 12 meters and it seemed to work that way judging by how many nbs I pulled out of stealth with it.

That... thats the reason I created this threat you know. 1st post and so...
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That... thats the reason I created this threat you know. 1st post and so...

Yea sorry man Im just as lost as you on the distance but i can tell you I ran it a few hours yesterday and it works really good for pulling nbs from stealth. The mag return was nice 2 when your outnumbered.

Damage kinda sucked tho

Edited by Mrsinister2 on August 13, 2019 10:34PM
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They changed it to work for 8m from 12m but change dont work, so it still unintended 12m.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For a frame of reference, Zaan is only 8 meters and works just fine in PVP. 12 meters should be more than enough
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the change to this set. Sure, the damage isn't great but it provides decent passive sustain. The 4 piece bonus is good (2x spell damage) and it can proc concussion (verified repeatedly).

I'm running around with it on my magplar and sweeps keeps it up >90% of the time in combat. That said, I personally wouldn't use it solo or in small group pvp, but I think it will do well in a larger raid formation.

Moar dots!
  • Fiewiel
    Fiewiel
    ✭✭✭
    I use it on my heal-magplar in pve. Dungeons normal/vet so far. Works good versus trash which lets me heal + dps coninuously without running oom. Luminous shards does proc it, so reflective light + shards to proc and range = some dps even for a heal.
    No clue why anyone would want to use this set in melee range, damage sucks, maybe utility? No idea.
    8m would kill it for me big time, even 12 isnt that large.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought Trapping Webs for the first time since I noticed they buffed it, and when I first cast it in a public dungeon, I lmao’d at how tiny the target circle was. Immediately unslotted it, and stuffed it into the virtual wastebin alongside Caltrops and Rally.

Edited by Jaraal on August 15, 2019 9:10PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use it on my heal-magplar in pve. Dungeons normal/vet so far. Works good versus trash which lets me heal + dps coninuously without running oom. Luminous shards does proc it, so reflective light + shards to proc and range = some dps even for a heal.
    No clue why anyone would want to use this set in melee range, damage sucks, maybe utility? No idea.
    8m would kill it for me big time, even 12 isnt that large.

Try it with Auroran's Thunder + Grothdaar. Fun times. FWIW, Auroran's will proc off light attacks. Apparently they are considered single-target "abilities".
  • Fiewiel
    Fiewiel
    ✭✭✭
    JimmyJuJu wrote: »
    Try it with Auroran's Thunder + Grothdaar. Fun times. FWIW, Auroran's will proc off light attacks. Apparently they are considered single-target "abilities".

Hows the range on the auroran + grothdaar setup? The 12m of oversurge is just enough to NOT go into melee range of mobs, you can (more or less) position yourself freely on the battlefield. Shards + oversurge proc can cover a really wide area.
    Im a ranged person, I sacrifice gladly damage for some range, for some independance of my positioning. At least for the
    content I do. In situations where oversurge doesnt do much (hello bosses) I switch in a heartbeat to spc or other setups.
    But I will try your setup. Need to farm aurorans though.

Funny thing... I just saw xynode putting up the new version of his offbalance magic templar which utylises oversurge. Its in the clean environment of testdummies, so in reality it will be less effective. Im not sure if oversurge is able to provide me enough ressources to heal + dps. Probably not for pugs in harder dungeons, where youre constantly switching roles to get healthbars up.
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭

Hows the range on the auroran + grothdaar setup? The 12m of oversurge is just enough to NOT go into melee range of mobs, you can (more or less) position yourself freely on the battlefield. Shards + oversurge proc can cover a really wide area.
    Im a ranged person, I sacrifice gladly damage for some range, for some independance of my positioning. At least for the
    content I do. In situations where oversurge doesnt do much (hello bosses) I switch in a heartbeat to spc or other setups.

Funny thing... I just saw xynode putting up the new version of his offbalance magic templar which utylises oversurge. Its in the clean environment of testdummies, so in reality it will be less effective. Im not sure if oversurge is able to provide me enough ressources to heal + dps. Probably not for pugs in harder dungeons, where youre constantly switching roles to get healthbars up.

If you want to fight at range this setup isn't for you. Auroran's is roughly 8m (best I can tell), the same as Grothdarr. This setup works mainly because of sweeps because you get 4 attacks per channel which is basically a guarantee to proc Oversurge. And with light-attack weaves you proc Auroran's within melee range. Since there's so much damage pouring off you, Grothdarr will almost always proc. Anything outside of melee range and this setup will be...well...underwhelming (see what I did there).
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to fight at range this setup isn't for you. Auroran's is roughly 8m (best I can tell), the same as Grothdarr. This setup works mainly because of sweeps because you get 4 attacks per channel which is basically a guarantee to proc Oversurge. And with light-attack weaves you proc Auroran's within melee range. Since there's so much damage pouring off you, Grothdarr will almost always proc. Anything outside of melee range and this setup will be...well...underwhelming (see what I did there).

Aurorans must be 12 unless they changed it this patch. Also with the changes to OS, you lose damage compared to any raw stat set so it's literally only a viable setup for the lazy man or someone who needs the aid.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)