Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    You guys running living dark or unstable?

So far I'm really liking living dark it's fantastic when someone's stupid pet is attacking me. The heal is pretty nice and it's great if you pop it just before a gank blade attacks :lol:

Even with the protective nerf I feel bulkier then last patch or maybe everyone is just squishier I don't know.

people got scared and ran more defense in anticipation for this patch lol.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who runs breton and runs high elv
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I’ll miss pre patch barrage :disappointed:

Its kind of absurd that a DOT that requires you to be on top of someone does much less than one you can put on them at range while behind a zerg or LOS.

I guess they felt SB's greatest use is its efficiency in applying empower while having some cleave dmg. problem we have is that type of spell mechanic is already on vamps bane (decent single target dmg with strong AOE applied dot) and the empower buff can be applied with empowering sweep (at least for nCP pvp).

Templar really doesn't have an identity, except jack of all trades. But the problem with that is when you go to select a templar for any role, and you eventually notice it would be better off another class (which is likely why templar had heavy adjustments done). For example, ritiual was buffed to replace healing springs, tanks got an immobilze tool+better minor protection uptime, and DD got entrophy/javelin cost/ off balance changes.

That's why id love to see how the devs view templar, and then make a last minute pass on skills when we talk about passives. If they do this, we can really have meaningful discussions.
    Edited by No_Division on August 13, 2019 5:36PM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    Syiccal wrote: »
    I'm on xbox so not got the update yet but that what I willbe doing, I dont use purify or radiant now as is

I use both to marvelous avail. How do you kill any one with out them?

As someone who also dropped Radiant a couple patches ago, the skill just isn't worth it, and especially when dealing with shield spam Sweeps is just better at finishing off a target. Jesus beam has it's place though in stealing kills for BGs, but it's 1s damage delay plus the skills channel nature just means there's usually better and more efficient ways to end a fight.

there's a reason cinbri called it garbage lol.

I truely appreciate his testing and input, but don't agree with everything he pushes. Ex being purifying and somewhat radiant (the delay is ridiculous)
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on xbox so not got the update yet but that what I willbe doing, I dont use purify or radiant now as is

As someone who also dropped Radiant a couple patches ago, the skill just isn't worth it, and especially when dealing with shield spam Sweeps is just better at finishing off a target. Jesus beam has it's place though in stealing kills for BGs, but it's 1s damage delay plus the skills channel nature just means there's usually better and more efficient ways to end a fight.

I truely appreciate his testing and input, but don't agree with everything he pushes. Ex being purifying and somewhat radiant (the delay is ridiculous)

i mean purfying is still weird. even gilliam thinks so before he became a dev and the radiant changes matches his ideas back then too.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i mean purfying is still weird. even gilliam thinks so before he became a dev and the radiant changes matches his ideas back then too.

Weird and bad are different lol
  • Nirnroot420
    Nirnroot420
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very pro-Purifying Light tbh. It's six second burst synergizes better than ever with our tool kit (and especially the massive buff to Entropy), and the nerf to the heal is minor as it's already an afterthought (albeit a nice bonus in 1v1s and small team fights), that I can't think of a better skill to have on my bar for a big pay off to constant pressure and Crescent as the cherry on top.
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭

well weird and bad cna be the same thing. Like how its double mitigated and your sustained dmg must follow it's 6s window in order to get full burst potential unlike sorc curse where they can run away and you'll still get 6k dmg..
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

well weird and bad cna be the same thing. Like how its double mitigated and your sustained dmg must follow it's 6s window in order to get full burst potential unlike sorc curse where they can run away and you'll still get 6k dmg..

Well it's certainly not as good as curse from a purely 1v1 damage perspective, but curse is also like eclipse in that only 1 per player is active at a time.

I like it for group support just a much as i do for damage.

I often don't need both purifying and radiant to get a kill. But i could show a clip of radiant being fantastic on small group play while my 2 stam buddies are trying thirst best to simply hit the target with execute.
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on August 13, 2019 6:39PM
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who runs breton and runs high elv

High Elf -My Cyrodil's Light synergies nicely with it.
    toppling/refelctive/Sweeps/Degeneration/ Flex-ele dreain/ jesus beam/PL / Soul Trap Ult Crescent
    CR/Rune/BOL/Flex Deep Thoughts/ Living Dark/RAT- Tempral Guard

I am considering dropping sweeps for Pulse or Reach But then I have to change my sets.

Yesterday from my NOOB prospective:) OW CP.
    I ran in a few 3 to 4 person groups yesterday and one larger group, when we could get near equal fights, it was fun in the small groups. The larger group, which was not a ball group, trying to go against ball group--destroyed. No change there like I thought. People without their own strong heal or cleanse/purge, really feel it.

Protective I am running 2.
    I still run a bit tanky since many people still think that I am the group's healer after being a healer in Cyrodil for 3 years, I only really felt the protective nerf when outnumbered , or when facing a well organized small team that had 2 or more sorcs or one that had a sorc and a debuffer,. The DOTS do really stack up, and if my rotation didn't take someone down, the Sorc in our group just finished people off.

I have always run dots, even as designated healer. I hope they don't nerf all of them lol.

Living Dark
    I have mixed feeling about--it feels a bit clunky to me, and I don't like having the bubble on me--because this also makes one a target as Living Dark is annoying tas all get out to players--fighting/running and then just standing there suddenly is also annoying to me lol, so I put it on my bar and use it until it gets nerfed. We ran into a group of multiple Templars casting it, and it was one of the most annoying experiences ever--and I spam RAT and immovables--it was able to catch me quie a bit.

My last small group of the night was 3 Templars, and we melted people if we could LOS.
    Edited by Hexquisite on August 13, 2019 8:09PM
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Set wise I'm currently using , bloodspawn, desert rose and wizard respost

Good thing you're on console, wouldn't be able to kill anything on pc na with a setup like that.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @No_Division could you check something? On the quick siphon skill, is the life leach halved by battle spirit? Also, does "triggering" it apply to the simply applying it, or does every time it ticks give you expedition?
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »

Good thing you're on console, wouldn't be able to kill anything on pc na with a setup like that.

You might be able to get away with it in light armor with 3X infused spelldamage.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You might be able to get away with it in light armor with 3X infused spelldamage.

You can, I did pirates/wizards/impreg back in the day, before we could transmute anything and still melted people.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    @No_Division could you check something? On the quick siphon skill, is the life leach halved by battle spirit? Also, does "triggering" it apply to the simply applying it, or does every time it ticks give you expedition?

I checked last patch and it is halved. But it crits and it should proc off any DMG you do.
    Edited by No_Division on August 14, 2019 3:03AM
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »

You can, I did pirates/wizards/impreg back in the day, before we could transmute anything and still melted people.

Yea people forget Templar only goes from 4k jabs to 4300 jabs but wasted 3x offense sets to get while the former used 2x.

This patch I'm right now running 3x DMG and still trying to find what I need
  • Nirnroot420
    Nirnroot420
    ✭✭✭

Yea people forget Templar only goes from 4k jabs to 4300 jabs but wasted 3x offense sets to get while the former used 2x.

This patch I'm right now running 3x DMG and still trying to find what I need

3x Infused spell damage jewelry with spell dmg weapon glyph should be fine in and of itself, as long as you have enough spell pen. I'm stacking resistances and running Bright Throat's atm and rocking solid af damage all around while maintaining an *almost* pirate skeleton level of tankiness.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea damage sets only offer I small increase in tool tips , I have no probs killing in those sets

I am currently trying slimecraw,impregnable and crafty, with astro mundus so will see how that goes
    Edited by Syiccal on August 14, 2019 10:01AM
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently running slimecraw, transmutation, torugs on a ranged magplar. Torugs is actually really nice for sustained pressure, and weaving with crushing shock feels so nice. CP is split between thaumaturge and master at arms but damage is still okay.

Templar's CC options suck though. What are you guys using for an offensive CC?
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    Currently running slimecraw, transmutation, torugs on a ranged magplar. Torugs is actually really nice for sustained pressure, and weaving with crushing shock feels so nice. CP is split between thaumaturge and master at arms but damage is still okay.

Depends, I have also tried range plar and would use javelin. Hybrid I would use toppling charge.
    I do find though that it's much harder to sustain on rangeplar for what ever reason, so need to up the burst to kill faster.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends, I have also tried range plar and would use javelin. Hybrid I would use toppling charge.
    I do find though that it's much harder to sustain on rangeplar for what ever reason, so need to up the burst to kill faster.

Javelin is okay, i'm just really spoiled by mass hysteria because it's unblockable. But yeah, can't have it all!

I guess your experience of it being harder to sustain is because more mana is used with crushing shock weaving than with jabs weaving over the same period of time.

• No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭

the more you cast, the more sustain you need. Reason magplar in the past can run 1400 or below sustain, is because jabs is considered a zero-cost ability. It costs 2300 now? but takes a second to fully complete which means you potentially get 1400 resources in that channel resulting in it feeling like you can sustain jabs. rangeplar, imho, needs 2k regen outside of rune bare minimum because you cast force pulse, but can AC it resulting in another 1 or 2 attacks 2300x2 = 4600 while jabs can get 2-4 hits for 2300. The dmg is roughly the same, but sustain is not.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the more you cast, the more sustain you need. Reason magplar in the past can run 1400 or below sustain, is because jabs is considered a zero-cost ability. It costs 2300 now? but takes a second to fully complete which means you potentially get 1400 resources in that channel resulting in it feeling like you can sustain jabs. rangeplar, imho, needs 2k regen outside of rune bare minimum because you cast force pulse, but can AC it resulting in another 1 or 2 attacks 2300x2 = 4600 while jabs can get 2-4 hits for 2300. The dmg is roughly the same, but sustain is not.

Yea good point, didn't think of it like that
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭

yup. jabs spam leaves you with 900 mag drain since most of your attacks are GCD ignoring dots/sustained burst. Easily made up with pots/ele drain/channeled focus. Rangeplar needs 2k sustain for 4600, and still needs additional mag sustain to bring their DPS drain to managed levels. Luckily, fire staff heavies are legit strong in helping get free resources while giving 12k tooltip damage.

I miss the old heavy attack = heavy dmg meta lol.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yup. jabs spam leaves you with 900 mag drain since most of your attacks are GCD ignoring dots/sustained burst. Easily made up with pots/ele drain/channeled focus. Rangeplar needs 2k sustain for 4600, and still needs additional mag sustain to bring their DPS drain to managed levels. Luckily, fire staff heavies are legit strong in helping get free resources while giving 12k tooltip damage.

Same! that's why im using infused torug's pact with shock enchant. I medium weave all the time and the sustained damage is very nice without being too heavy on the magicka pool. I actually do this on my magblade as well to very good results.

• EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Jabs is not considered a free spell... If you cancel 3 force pulses and 3 sweeps, it takes nearly the same amount of time before you van start the 4th spell. Sure the damage occurs at a single instance, but regen doesn't care about that at all. It's literally just time.

The same reasoning about potentially generating 1400 during your jabs can be said about force pulse, but in the downtime between force pulse cancels.

Generally, the cost to regen rate should be 2x the cost - regen. It takes about 2 seconds to cast any 2 spells shading a gcd.
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on August 14, 2019 4:12PM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Started playing healer on my magplar again for bgs.
    Steadfast,trans,bloodspawn and brp resto.
    Have to say its pretty darn indestructible.
    If i get focus i just pop living dark and hols block for a couple of seconds lol.
    I have to say i forgot how fun it can be to play support. Nothing compares to dropping a fat nova +time freeze in the middle of a neat stack of players.
    Brp resto and the new mutagen combined also make for great healing, even the new healing springs made it onto my bar so i can push my aoe hots even further.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tried Alfiq/Steadfast(back)/Willpower(front)/Blood Spawn in non-cp, it was not too bad but still needs tweaking.

Steadfast and Trans seems like it wouldn’t have a lot of magicka in bgs. But definitely good survivability.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I tried Alfiq/Steadfast(back)/Willpower(front)/Blood Spawn in non-cp, it was not too bad but still needs tweaking.

Steadfast and Trans seems like it wouldn’t have a lot of magicka in bgs. But definitely good survivability.

28k mag and 1.8k spd. I mean with brp resto you dont need a ton of stats,major vitality is amazing.
  • RebornRequiem
    RebornRequiem
    ✭✭✭
    I think the current patch made defensive sets almost useless for magplars. Minimal tankyness together with living dark should be enough, everything else makes you a tank currently.

I hopped on my elsweyr build, which actually has only offensive sets and some resistances, together with living dark trolling/tanking 10+ players in no cp cyrodiil was a rather easy task.

The current state leaves magplar pretty much on the top tier for PvP and I fear this will be the start for the class to get nerfed quite a bit, since we all know how the devs work. They will not adjust other classes to the top level, but nerf the top tier classes down. Magplars for a long time were rather weak, but received small and small buffs over the last patches till it was actually in a good spot in elsweyr. The addition of the new living dark now pushes its strength over the top. Also the buffed healing on cleansing ritual played into it. I think losing a bit of that gained power will do the class a great favor. I think the healing of cleansing ritual needs some slight adjustement, meanwhile the same goes for living dark. Also the root of living dark makes the skill do too much. As said, the devs will probably nerf the class instead buffing the others. Same goes for dots, if the get nerfed, magplar will already look a bit less "OP". Remember, my nerf suggestions assume, that dots and the other classes stay the same.

If this happens, magplar will again be in the right spot. Till then, I will enjoy trolling the enemy masses and slaughter as many as possible. And for doing so, I get daily hate whispers for being a fotm slave and insults for abusing OP mechanics.
    Edited by RebornRequiem on August 16, 2019 7:48AM