Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Set It and Forget it - DoTs Meta

del9
del9
✭✭✭✭
Nobody asked for single target DOTs to be stronger. Nobody.

When all DOTs are buffed instead of direct damage abilities, combat moves even farther from rewarding skill. That feeling of dynamic, reactive, fast-paced combat that MAKES ESO UNIQUE is under attack again.

DoTs, especially long-range. Undodgable DOTs, should not be doing more overall damage than players’ direct damage, skill-based abilities like your dizzy swings and class abilities like shalks.

Now we have undodgable DOTs that can safely be placed at long range like Entropy, soul trap absolutely shredding people. Fetcher infection is out of control, and poison inject is a menace but at least we can dodge that.

Along with the addition of cast times to ult, I no longer feel like my motor skills and reaction speed gives me an advantage in this game.
PCNA

• Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have u tried playing?

single-DoT is buffed (alot), but AoE DoT is nerfed. on top of that, bleed now respect resistance.

that being said, i agree melee direct damage should have higher damage than overtime.

as for cast times, i love it. its just for ulti and it stops people from going cheesy with dawnbreakers.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • del9
    del9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »
    have u tried playing?

single-DoT is buffed (alot), but AoE DoT is nerfed. on top of that, bleed now respect resistance.

that being said, i agree melee direct damage should have higher damage than overtime.

as for cast times, i love it. its just for ulti and it stops people from going cheesy with dawnbreakers.
    Do you mean animation canceling dawnbreakers is cheesy?

And about bleeds respecting resistances - low resist builds still get shredded by bleeds. Just pushing the population into high resist tanky builds even more -a point I meant to make in the OP
    PCNA

• Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    del9 wrote: »
    have u tried playing?

Do you mean animation canceling dawnbreakers is cheesy?

yes. almost as cheesy as old time sload and the FOTM sorc's power overload.
    And about bleeds respecting resistances - low resist builds still get shredded by bleeds. Just pushing the population into high resist tanky builds even more -a point I meant to make in the OP

yes that is true, but after last night, i dont feel it's such a big difference than pre-patch.

if anything, because its respecting resist, at least the light-armor population has a better chance of survival.
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    from 6 hours of pvp last night - i didn't feel that dots were over the moon. And this was from a class that has a 10% increase in dot damage passive (stam necro) along with builds that were further buffing dots (deadly strike / essence thief / maelstrom dw)

death recaps were still very much dominated by the burst skills: crystal frag, endless fury, dawnbreaker, whirling blade, dizzy swing

I do think the pressure dmg from dots that is now freely sitting on everyone helps contribute. but going just pure dots is extremely weak from my perspective. stun and burst is still very much king.

twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dots traditionally do much more damage than direct damage skills due to the slow delivery of the damage. That is a pretty standard mmo/rpg trope. Kiting was always based around arbitraging speed differences and wearing a target down with dots while taking little or no damage.

ESO players will have heartburn because:
    • Dots follow LOS, and damage you even when the caster can no longer target you.
    • 1v1 dots are manageable, but 1vX, stacked dots become burst, ticking each second. or two for huge amounts of aggregate damage
    • Dots will drive zerg and large group pvp, for purge/heal bots.
    • Dots keep ticking after the caster dies...people will complain all over again when those valkyn procs hit after death

• yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked for it.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    I asked for it.

• frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    have u tried playing?

Lol If you really think animation cancelling is cheesy, you’re most obviously a noob who doesn’t know how to do it or doesn’t want to learn so you’re upset you’re getting clapped by better players.
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both entropy and soul trap are actually dodgeable now although the patch notes don’t mention it.

Sneaky ZOS afoot!
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • BaByDontHurtMe
    BaByDontHurtMe
    ✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    I asked for it.

Hahaha boss move. Boss response. Nicely done.

For OP, we’re all adjusting but there’s new goodies for everyone, just keep searching for a balance of more healing or recovery imo simply because these dots ain’t going no where.

You should look into opening with Onslaught and Balorgh as your offensive pieces but that means going more defensive in one of your other sets, now specially if you took the leap back to medium armor.

It hasn’t been out more than a day, but these dots are here to stay, they even hinted more or less in patch notes “hey guys look at Thamaturage again”.

It might very well have been a stronger direct impact on your personal play style but 3vX was a blast last night chasing down a full 20+ with a mix of dots and still using burst and timed stuns for ultimates to clear up the blob. The way we saw it, the dots helped us apply pressure to the outlier players, I would argue this affects the healers in their Zerg more than anything because we saw something unique. Healer was forced to react and heal people in the back because of changes to healing which means he was spotted faster and dealt with faster.

We didn’t even get to try the new ground fear yet, great for drop traps at fatal funnels on certain narrow parts of a resource tower. I can only imagine making static ultimates easier for some people like Hulk Smash from necro or an even easier Nova from Templar while targets are stationary from fear.

I’ve been lucky enough to have emp’d on both stamina and magicka classes, from my perspective magicka finally feels like it’s closing the gap to my stamGOD Warden at least from a short unscientific test on magPLAR and magNB.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frostz417 wrote: »
    have u tried playing?

Lol If you really think animation cancelling is cheesy, you’re most obviously a noob who doesn’t know how to do it or doesn’t want to learn so you’re upset you’re getting clapped by better players.

i weave just fine. ani cancel is pretty cool to do...

...with regular skills.

on ulti?

that's cheesy.

it's already a big cost big hit skill. why we need to add more to one-shot new player.
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

With the mass of dots showing up on the forum recap, we're going to start closing down a mass of these threads. We'll leave this current discussion open on the topic so feel free to discuss the topic there.

Thank you for understanding!
    Edited by [Deleted User] on August 13, 2019 7:52PM
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.