The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP build on a dummy

Davadin
Davadin
✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody ever tried this? I rarely do, but sometimes it helps me figure out any issue with a new build, like resource managing, fluid rotation, weaving, practicing burst combo etc.... but overall DPS doesn't really matter.

But with combat log add-on running (PC here), that number is there. DPS. right on ur face. on the chat log. bam. Goldblum says "there it is."
So I tend to just... look at it after finishing a quick 3M dummy.

If I'm not alone doing this, what's everybody's number?

StamDK here, DoT build, no ultimates the whole fight, no *external* buff (i still pop Rally/Frag Armor for Major/Minor Brut), not even food or drink. My boy is STARVING.

My med 2H/2H build ends up around 15-16k DPS. My heavy 2H/DW is around 12k. (just for comparison, switching skills to PvE rotation can get me 24k-25k. if I put on my bow on the backbar, i can almost ALMOST hit 30k... at 29~29.5)

Thoughts?

ps: clarified no external buff, only self-buff.
pps: build not on my signature. i need to update UESP......... i'll post screenshot later.
Edited by Davadin on August 11, 2019 1:40PM
August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes kill the factotum because it better represents a real PvP encounter, just to check regen and rotation.

Between 23k and 30k DPS there.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    if you have access to the Arena house try doing the same with a Dummy set up in the middle with ALL the traps going may give you a better idea of sustain vs damage
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NPC's in Craglorn group content. They have 60K HP, and are therefore a really good way to measure your burst. Especially for NO-CP content. For CP PvP you would probably need to get an NPC with 100K.

The 60K HP Craglorn mobs will go down in 4 sec to a good No-CP burst. 6 Second to a bad burst. And 7+ seconds means you will not be able to kill skilled players.

I use that all the time, to measure my damage. Of course there is no substitute for trying out the build. But this way is surprisingly accurate.

Factotum / Other Dummy is only good for testing mechanics (will this proc that) and regen. DPS on a dummy means nothing at all.
    Edited by raasdal on August 13, 2019 10:06AM
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raasdal wrote: »
    NPC's in Craglorn group content. They have 60K HP, and are therefore a really good way to measure your burst. Especially for NO-CP content. For CP PvP you would probably need to get an NPC with 100K.

The 60K HP Craglorn mobs will go down in 4 sec to a good No-CP burst. 6 Second to a bad burst. And 7+ seconds means you will not be able to kill skilled players.

I use that all the time, to measure my damage. Of course there is no substitute for trying out the build. But this way is surprisingly accurate.

Factotum / Other Dummy is only good for testing mechanics (will this proc that) and regen. DPS on a dummy means nothing at all.

this is good. thank you!
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berenhir wrote: »
    I sometimes kill the factotum because it better represents a real PvP encounter, just to check regen and rotation.

Between 23k and 30k DPS there.

damn thats nice. i dont have factotum.

btw, kinda off-topic, but my DPS reported by combat log add-on dropped waaaaay down low.... i wonder i just need to get used to the new setup/DoT, or somethings *** going on...?

i'm also guessing since my rotation use Carve and Nox, both their AoE has been lowered, and maybe effect of bleed going through resistance now?
  • BaByDontHurtMe
    BaByDontHurtMe
    ✭✭✭
    If I read it correctly, are you still testing like in your original post ? No ultimates at any given moment ?

I think you will be pleasantly surprised of your numbers once your onslaught pops. I had a debate with two stamNB mains and a stamPLAR how opening with onslaught against 3 ensures a better 1v3.

So does this mean that the game has moved to build ulti to get and ONLY begin the fights until I get onslaught (which means no more Spriggans.) FROM I don’t need ulti for a potato and I can pvp whenever where ever because I’m in heavy with one of the big Four DPS heavy armor sets. I argued we can do everything we did before and even faster and better with Onslaught but unlike before our window begins (and dps dummy parse) only after Onslaught. While Dawnie was used to put them in execute range or even as a finisher. I saw a fight dead on ground while stamNB X’d vs 3 with no stam and potion (because he had popped detect pot recently) just on light and heavy attacks because he still had Onslaught buff active going.

Sorry for slight off topic but if you have the time test you same pvp rotation after onslaught please and would like to hear the difference.

Do you feel you improve your build because your DPS number increases over the 3milli dummy or would you rather have a 60-70k burst within 8 seconds ? Just curious which you would take, I know people who pick one just as many who take the other and oddly enough they play different classes and notice that skews their vision on what is a good pvp build, makes me laugh how I can’t those two sides to agree. Funny how art imitates life like that.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im stamDK.

we are not the "burst" class.

its nice to burst, sure, but 60k-70k in 4sec? dream on.

so i'm more on the DoT build so higher DPS on a 3M dummy is better, coz that means i can do better resource management while slowly making my enemy's life a living hell.

for the past year or so, i 1vX or 1v1 using that same method. bleed bleed bleed, boom, breather, recharge, rinse-repeat. the boom comes from DK Leap or a lucky Executioner.

now... let's talk about Onslaught lol....

that thing is really good. it's not THAT good that everyone charges only when Onslaught is ready (Spriggan still viable even if u slot OS), but it really can increase ur DPS on the 3M dummy. i've tested that on real players last night lol

BUT.... the thing with Onslaught is that it can be dodged........ if u got dodged (and in CP PvP, u will get dodged a lot), u will simply waste 150 ulti and has nothing in return. zero. nada. zit.
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything can and should be tested on a dummy. The idea that dummy testing or parsing or anything of that sort doesn't provide any useful or relevant information to pvp situations is very wrong and anyone who suggests dummies or parsing aren't useful should not be taken seriously. Simply practicing going through rotations or combos on a dummy is also a good way to develop muscle memory required to execute them.

The precursor is especially useful to get an idea of what you can expect against a target provided you have abilities that increase in damage during execute. Simply killing the precursor over and over again and going over the parse (and then comparing it to other builds) can tell you how effective a build's output will be, or the difference between one build and another.

An example is the recent change to wrecking blow. Seems great on the surface, right? Well, as long as I have deadly strike equipped, the difference between wrecking blow and flurry is +-5% in terms of my actual damage output, even above the execute threshold. Wrecking blow clearly has some advantages (stun, buffed light attack), but when making the decision whether to slot it over flurry this patch, I've chosen to stick with flurry based on my tests, and only slot wrecking blow when I feel like I need the stun. Even with the .8s cast time, wrecking blow is still more difficult to land than flurry and you can still "whiff" the entire ability multiple times in a row on slippery targets, whereas flurry is much easier to land, and pulls ahead in damage sub 25%.

As far as your build goes, the dps seems a bit low. With my build (deadly, ww hide, blood spawn, master dw) I'm seeing roughly 27-30k (as nord with 3 protective) killing the precursor, and mid 20s sustained. I already read one post in this thread suggesting dps doesn't matter, but if one build sustains 15k dps, another sustains 25k dps, and neither have any appreciable burst besides an ult, which build will pressure (and kill) people more effectively?
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the dummies to compare relative damage output between different PvP builds. I've found that my sustainable builds generally do about 20k dps. Once you get up to a 25k DPS build, then you are going to be putting nice pressure on enemy players, but I have trouble with sustain on these builds.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE