Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Low FPS with low GPU usage

Sulas
Sulas
Soul Shriven
Hello,

when i started playing about 3 weeks ago, i had a fresh Windows (10) installation with all latest drivers, but I'm getting average 50 FPS and the GPU usage is also at about 40-50%.
I checked the CPU usage, it's about 20-30% and one core is at about 80%, so there is now bottleneck.
Sometimes the frames drop to 15 FPS even in Buldings.

Is there anything i can do?

The PC is:
Windows 10 Pro latest build
Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3,7 GHz
AMD RX 480 8GB
16 GB DDR4 2400 RAM
  • Sulas
    Sulas
    Soul Shriven
    Resolution is 1080p
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GTX1070ti, and still have GPU issues so not just you
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game is heavily reliant on RAM speed, that's definitly your bottleneck and almost people's bottleneck since this game really doesn't demand a powerful GPU.

Things you can try:

1. Leave reflections at low settings. On low, it uses your GPU instead of CPU, and by freeing your CPU you automatically use less RAM power.

2. OC your RAM memory clock.

Keep in mind that this game is not really well optimized so don't expect high FPS in intense situations (Cyrodil on prime-time / trials )
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This game is heavily reliant on RAM speed, that's definitly your bottleneck and almost people's bottleneck since this game really doesn't demand a powerful GPU.

Things you can try:

1. Leave reflections at low settings. On low, it uses your GPU instead of CPU, and by freeing your CPU you automatically use less RAM power.

Keep in mind that this game is not really well optimized so don't expect high FPS in intense situations (Cyrodil on prime-time / trials )

great advice but dont OC your RAM unless your 100% sure of what your doing it can do more harm than good
  • Sulas
    Sulas
    Soul Shriven

Things you can try:

Thx, i thought its because of my PC. The RAM is overclocked, but only by the timings (higher frequnezys don't work).
    When i switch between borderless and boardered Window, it works for some time, but then the frames drop again.
  • Sulas
    Sulas
    Soul Shriven
    OK, i got it working. I set the reflections to low and locked the frames @60 FPS (60Hz display).

I'm thinking about buying a R5 3600X with DDR4 3200. Would that change anything?
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sulas wrote: »
    OK, i got it working. I set the reflections to low and locked the frames @60 FPS (60Hz display).

I'm thinking about buying a R5 3600X with DDR4 3200. Would that change anything?

not really it wont improve FPS as you have a 60Hz display, rendering may improve ect ect
  • smee_z
    smee_z
    ✭✭✭
    SSD greatly helps in loading the game and any of its assets during run-time.
    Probably has an effect too when you get FPS drops when some assets load slowly from hard disk.
    PC NA

Games are meant to be played.

Back in Auriel's Bow 1.0, I have thought that the best way to handicap a faction with the HUGE pop advantage is to temporarily disable their grouping functionality and their ability to fight in 3rd person point of view! Let's see if these do not even up the odds.
  • Sulas
    Sulas
    Soul Shriven
    OK, thx. I think i can live with the low reflections. A SSD for my games i already have.

• Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It would result in more minimum frames, but I wouldn't invest in better equipment to run ESO. You will get better performance but not enough to justify it, imo. Though, if you can resell your old RAM, definitly buy a new one since the total cost will not be that high.
  • Sulas
    Sulas
    Soul Shriven
    I gave it a try and ordered an AMD R5 3600X with DDR4 3200 and a GTX 1060ti (was anyway time to do this), now i have permanently 60 FPS.
    One Core is now @90-100% and the GPU is @40% (locked @60FPS). I think it was the speed of the old R7 that caused a bottleneck.

Regards
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here, try this: https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu

I use it and have all my cores unparked.

You can also get MSI Afterburner (think it is only for Nvidia cards) and monitor CPU and Thread loading during gameplay. You can use it to display just about anything live as a screen overlay.

https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

• Sulas
    Sulas
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks, the program doesn't change anything.

I have the problem again. I'm at a farm with a lot of fire and dust/fog. The FPS drop to 25 while the GPU is bored.

Its like eating a gourmet meal with tied hands...
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, the program doesn't change anything.

I have the problem again. I'm at a farm with a lot of fire and dust/fog. The FPS drop to 25 while the GPU is bored.

Its like eating a gourmet meal with tied hands...

ESO uses DirectX 11. Up to v11 only one CPU core is able to "talk" to the GPU.
  • Sulas
    Sulas
    Soul Shriven
    I got it fixed. I wanted to turm SMT of to see what happens, after the restart i had 60FPS again, also with activated SMT.