The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cast Time, Bad! Minimum Travel Time, Good?

NyassaV
NyassaV
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So after playing with the cast times on certain ultimates; Soul Tether, Death Stroke, and Dawnbreaker, I've come to the conclusion that not only does the cast times just feel terrible and aren't fun but they significantly impair the functionality of the skills whilst locking you out of other actions. I understand why ZOS did this as they wanted to add more counter-play and while that is an admirable goal they didn't execute it in the best manner.

What if I told you there was a way ZOS could add their counter play and players could still use their favorite abilities without hating themselves? Well it turns out there is with: Minimum Travel Time! The concept of Minimum Travel Time was most notably introduced with the changes to Grim Focus and Crystal Frags. These abilities actually used to have a cast time on them but later they were changed and had a Minimum Travel Time added to them so that opponents might have a chance to counter these powerful skills. And overall it worked for the most part. At first the Minimum Travel Time was too much and made the skills nearly useless in a straight 1v1 fight but later on ZOS reduced the Minimum Travel Time and the skills became so much more fun to use whilst satisfying ZOS's desire to add more counter-play.

So rather than having these really stupid and irritating cast times I highly suggest we move to have these skills with a minimum travel time. I know it may be weird or possibly even hard for ZOS to animate since these abilities are not projectiles but frankly a simply delay before it actually goes off might to a lot to help things!
Edited by NyassaV on August 12, 2019 9:37PM
Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info

Cast Time, Bad! Minimum Travel Time, Good? 28 votes

I like the Minimum Travel Time idea
67%
InklingsDemonDruagaTonturriSosRuvaakVaohSanctum74AedarylWuuffyyKdkaOrjixChickenSuckerMehrunesFlagonNyassaVmeneerpeerNerftheforums_Ahala_Thanatos_insideruffdarkblue5 19 votes
No, I like the current state of things
10%
mmtaniacBobby_V_RockitNeloth 3 votes
Whatever
21%
Donny_VitozvaviGrandmaSomniluxWyrd88Cerotonin 6 votes
  • Abhaya
    Abhaya
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cast times bad.
    Abhaya - PC NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Stam Sorc 2-Hand / Bow Build: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=169103
  • Skysenzz
    Skysenzz
    ✭✭✭
    the cast time just feel awful; this game had really fast combat mechanic in pvp with all those animation canceling (that has been approved by ZOS) and now we're being slowed down by the game itself. Not gonna bother with pvp until that *** is live.
    CP1000+
    DC sDK Skysenzz
    DC Stamden Kartag Vosh Rakh
    DC mDK Ignis-Noctem
    DC sDK Ellesperis
    DC MagSorc Victorià
    EP Stamplar Subject to change
    EP StamBlade Powerful Ninja Zoid
    DC StamNecro StamDK ls Better
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skysenzz wrote: »
    the cast time just feel awful; this game had really fast combat mechanic in pvp with all those animation canceling (that has been approved by ZOS) and now we're being slowed down by the game itself. Not gonna bother with pvp until that *** is live.

Yeah PvP feels very stale right now
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should have a vote for neither. Both dumb down the game. Cast times more so though.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • Y2J
    Y2J
    How would you put a minimum travel time to dawnbreaker?
    Crystal frag and grim focus never had cast times.
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    i dont like any of it how's that? give us back our skills
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    should of put a voting choice of completely reverting it, lol!!! This pole suggests do you like something that was horribly implemented or would you like a little something less horrific that was not better the the original state. In other words any ability in eso and this dog s*** of a game
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Y2J wrote: »
    How would you put a minimum travel time to dawnbreaker?
    Crystal frag and grim focus never had cast times.

They did, awhile ago they had a .1 second cast time.