Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Update 23 Combat Q&A

• ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Please explain the thought process behind buffing single target dots in the same patch as nerfing survival from light and medium builds (shields, protective, 4sec vigor, Momentum HoT, etc).

If the intent of reducing the viability of light and medium armor in PVP is that PVP = heavy armor, why does magicka have such lackluster heavy sets? (Ice Furnace anyone?)

I really support this question.
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Does the ZoS team understand that there is a major issue with class stacking in this game? Now I thoroughly understand that if ther is a dps that does 1% more damage that there will be class stacking in any content but with Liko and ESOlogs used as a metric, we can see that it is no longer a matter of 1-3% difference. There is currently almost a 20k difference between the top stam class and the botton stam class. This is unheard of and unacceptable. What is so baffling is that necro sits so pretty in a meta where every class is relatively the same. Same dots, gear, race and traits. How can the necro not have been looked at yet.
    2. I showed math that the vMA bow is missing a tick of damage.... Fix it, it hurts the math part of my soul.
    3. Why is the nightblade changing to a tank now? Does this at all make since for the initial flavor and class identity established for this game?
    4. Why can't ZoS disconnect race from damage passives. Don't make a cosmetic choice a combat choice. Every game up to TESO always had a flavor skills on a race and birthstars(w.e its called) being responsible for the damage passives. Also racial passives are kinda well racist isn't it? IDK just an observation.
    5. Why does every class have passives that reach out of the class skill lines and buff all around damage and a dk does not? Why is the damage boost only for certain class skills. They aren't tanks anymore it seems that nightblade is traveling that direction. So make them a dps.
    6. Da fudge is you balance metrics? understand that there needs to be shake ups to keep the hamster wheel rolling for endgamers but the game is feeling more like a high school group project instead of a AAA game with professionals. There are way too many examples of extreme flux that only a late night surrounded by red bull could explain.
    7. Define what a mini trial is and what a full size trial is. vSS is a mini trial.
    8. Does console look like a joke to you? There is a laundry list of issues with all of your content. Straight standing in a city has lag and no sign of adequate representation. If its a P.C game only game its time to let us know.
    Edited by Onefrkncrzypope on August 9, 2019 8:00AM
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer class in PvP
    The general consensus amongst PvP players that necromancer is not an attractive choice to play remains unchanged almost 3 months after the release of the class for multiple reasons that have been pointed out in other threads. The proposed changes on the current PTS contain some nice QoL improvements, but are not exactly targeting the most pressing issues being pointed out by the community (i.e.: current tether implementation not suiting the fast paced PvP playstyle, class sustain being tied to those tethers, unreliable targeting and ability activation in general, etc.)

My questions:
    • Is the class/combat ability team aware of the mainly negative user feedback in regards to necromancer PvP performance?
    • What is the team's position on necromancer performance in PvP?
    • Are there any, and if yes - what abilities have been identified that are holding the classs back in PvP and how is the team planning to adress them?
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • Katinas
    Katinas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer and Templar are the two only classes in the game without access to a class skill (or passive) that would grant Major Brutality and Major Sorcery (Increase Weapon/Spell Damage). Would it be possible to give Necromancers and Templars these passives to make it more balanced with other classes? Now Necromancers and Templars have to rely on potions, sets and weapon skills to get these buffs.
  • KageNin
    KageNin
    ✭✭✭
    Why cant we revert Caltrops change to have old morph useful in PvE as it was for years and other one for pvp?
    Unstable core is still OP as it can be recast on oponent after it expires, theres co counterplay.
    Why put Cast times on ultimates ? EsO shines because its combat is fast paced, in U22 you said yourself you wanted to keep combat fluid what happend?
    Pillar of Nirn, Widowmaker,Nerineth sets are still underperforming, issue with them is the not their damage output but how easy it is to avoid the proc animation. (For guidance see how Red Mountain set proc operates) Can we change those sets?
  • ninibini
    ninibini
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    1. Explain your rationale for substantially reducing the damage of AoE ground DoTs. These abilities require positioning and are sensitive to movement. It was understood in the past that this was the tradeoff that justified their damage levels. Many people already don't use ground AoE abilities in PvP because enemies just move out of them. Given that context, what made you think that a damage nerf was appropriate?
    2. Why are utility skills like Soul Trap doing more damage than actual damage skills? Why are generic damage skills outperforming class skills? Do your power budgets account for such considerations like the intended purpose of a skills?
    3. Explain your rationale for the healing changes. Why was the power nerfed? Why was utility hampered? What was the goal and vision behind all this?
    4. The reason for support roles to exist is for them to do the things that are impractical for the DDs to do. It is impractical for any DD to reliably survive boss damage in any vet DLC content (and sometimes even in normal DLC content). Can you say the same about the healer role?
    5. Why is this happening at the end of PTS week 5 and not during PTS week 4?
    6. Why is this happening at the end of PTS week 5 and not during PTS week 3?
    7. Why is this happening at the end of PTS week 5 and not during PTS week 2?
    8. Why is this happening at the end of PTS week 5 and not during PTS week 1?

All of this, and especially #4 - What is your vision for the healer role? We've been pushed out of a lot PVE content already.

And:
    • How do you plan to handle PVE content (vHof HM, vSS Ice HM) if the healing output proves to be insufficient?
    Edited by ninibini on August 9, 2019 10:14AM
  • 6lackzeu5
    6lackzeu5
    ✭✭
    Why can't new skills be added per class instead of always destroying staple skills. People wouldn't mind if a class had a couple new skills as long as they knew more were being added to their favorite class as well. Have you guys ever heard the phrase don't break what isn't broken because that's all I see from the combat team.
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • any plans to revisit stealth gameplay? currently it is way to easy to get into stealth and have 100% chance to hit the first attack. If you are stamina based you even CC the target. What makes it even worse is the cloak mechanic of nb that allow players to just reset the gank and wait till the player is at a bad position e.g. getting focused by other players and cc + high burst+unpredictable. For players on the receiving end there is little to no effective counter play and the stealth player can be endless in invisible mode and even buff and heal up. (Playing around with cloak is way harder if there are more players on you)
    • Will sorc tanks get anything for the pet nerf? If they decided to run the tank pet they already gave up on 2 skill-slot and now the heal is only mediocre at best while the pet is still useless. Other classes do not have the hassle to slot a stupid pet to get a even stronger heal on their tanks. (Sorc do not have any tank nor healing passives)
    • With the buffed aoe heals is there a chance to limit cross-healing in cyro? (maybe grp only if you are grped) I just fear that stacking more players at a tight spot will be even more effective when everyone of them just slots one of the new aoe grd heals. (And by more i mean many more)
    • Were some of the changes done to improve the performance? e.g. healing spring no longer stacking, limited duration on some hots, ...

I actually like that there is an Q&A and i really would love to see something like that more often. Especial a PvP Q&A about cyro and bg would be nice.
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • Miraslova
    Miraslova
    ✭✭✭
    Like mentioned by others, make Burning Embers, Engulfing Flames and Molten Whip 28 meters.
    "An it harm none, do what thou wilt"
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Will Jabs ever be adapted in how they perform?
    Due to numerous things like major evasion, defensive CP mitigating them more than other skills and the issues with landing them they are outclassed by other options on both mag and stamplar

• BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With the standardisation ongoing this patch are skills like igneous weapons (and morphs) and power surge seen as decent when compared to other abilities in their category?

The current implementation of healing available for stamina specs is highly lacking for all specs who don't have the opportunity to use cloak so much that they aren't able to perform in duels at all without even mentioning combat situations that feature more than one enemy. Even stamnb took a huge hit heading in the wrong direction as it forces cloak to be even more polarizing.
    Is there an intention to bring healing on stamina specs more in line with the current damage values and is the current implementation of cloak something you want to keep?
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    Zos: If the aim of Update 23 was to equalize skills, then why does Rapid Regen heal for twice the amount Vigor does in a mirrored gear setup, and why does it last 20% longer?

i could answer this for you - rapid regen requires you to sacrifice a weapon slot (i.e resto staff) vigor doesn't. hope this helps :)

This is a moot point when you consider all the other healing skills that magicka has through class skills vs stamina. You are not forced to use restro because most magicka classes already have decent healing skills, restro is just supplementary, whereas stamina is basically shoehorned into using vigor and rally (or some combination of those skills/ morphs.)
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• SassiestAssassin
    SassiestAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    PvE Healers are already unwanted in vet dungeons, as so many DLC mechanics are oneshots. The only place where they’re really needed is vet trials.

The changes to healing skills (especially Springs) from more bursty, mobile heals, to static AoEs are going to hurt those who run dedicated healers who can’t counter the big execute.

My questions are:

Why the complete change of Grand Healing and Co.’s functionality?

This is the most painful change for me, as it limits my ability to heal in multiple places and outheal big mechanics. Changing it to be a true AoE to match dps skills hurts the utility.
    Had you considered other solutions like putting a hard limit on how many could be on the ground at a time or increasing the cost every X cast?

Why has the healer’s toolkit been nerfed before the content was adjusted?

Were healing skills adjusted with PvE in mind, or just PvP?

And lastly, what is the endgame PvE healing playstyle the team is envisioning with this patch?
    (Especially non-Templar/stam healers. The clarification post was not sufficient, as most healers don’t have stamina for Circle of Protection/Vigor, and only Templars have Ritual.)

The last question is my biggest concern, because already I’m hearing the meta will be to run no dedicated healers, just another DPS with a resto on the backbar.
    *slams a gallon of Respecting Support Roles juice on the table* Take a sip, babes.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the changes to the elemental succession set looked great, making it a very potent set for high elemental damage builds but also a fair trade-off with the now high-damage magic dots like entropy and soul trap that won’t benefit from it. However, I hear it has a 5 second cooldown on PTS as opposed to the 4 second cooldown mentioned in the patch notes. Which value is correct? And would it be possible to give it the 5 second proc time, 4 second cooldown of spell strategist, another “kiss/curse” set that makes you trade one type of damage for another (in its case, increased single target for lessened aoe)?
  • KageNin
    KageNin
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any plans on Buffing Ambush or Mass Hysteria since their counterparts are way more useful?
    And will there where be a fix to grim focus as it still fails to fire the bow instead it reaplies the buff?
    Edited by KageNin on August 9, 2019 2:09PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks so much for your questions, everyone! We have plenty to go through, and just to reiterate, we'll answer as many as we can but won't be able to get to every question. Keep an eye out for answers in the next week or so.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.