Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tel Galen Interior with 239 furnishings

Nerouyn
Nerouyn
✭✭✭✭✭
All furnishings can be crafted or purchased with gold, except 2 relatively small and insignificant ones: an ESO Plus Azura statuette (I'm team Azura) and a Sylvan nixad pet.

Some achievement and luxury vendor items have been used.

Telvanni paintings are typically very expensive - approx 500k gold - so fair warning. I've used 2 but you could substitute something cheaper.

Outside

Unchanged.

Apart from the exterior looking like a tower of liposuction leftovers - seriously that's what it looks like - being built up a hill, you can see the front door and default lamps and braziers from a great distance. There are also two holes in the walls you can walk up to and look in and only ever see the default furnishings.

That makes it impossible to change the exterior and maintain the illusion of the instanced house being yours. Yay!

If you wanted to furnish the exterior, a lot of the default furnishings are tiny, insignificant pieces like rocks, bushes and little trees which you could replace with more impactful ones.

Foyer

Besides wanting to make it look pretty, after doing the bath area I thought it might be cool to dedicate each quarter to a different element in colour (or in Elder Scrolls parlance, the primary tonal colours) and theme. Then I thought that would be too hard and abandoned the idea. But it ended up working out that way.

ckr3j8j5xrjs.jpg

In case anyone's wondering, the big glowing red flower is a custom job. One of the chanterelle mushrooms with a garlas alpinia stuck in it. Some vines in the mushroom. A veiled crystal in the flower.

qzd11y76jtlm.jpg

baje6secn6vr.jpg

Earth / green. Yeah there's the fountain full of water, but that's made of stone. Plus there's lots of mushrooms and plants. A place for rest and stillness. My indoor garden since I don't go outside.

ybmad4ujl4y6.jpg

2aju6v3m487i.jpg

cx292wjht6xz.jpg

Air / yellow. There's the big honking throne all lit up from behind and a table with lots of seating. This is a place where you can hold meetings and conduct your business without any fear of anyone forgetting who is in charge. Air is the element of logic - which is at the core of magical endeavours and good management / leadership. It's difficult to represent air with furniture but there's a little flying nixad and some floating psijic books and the floating crystal.

5z38x4g1txsf.jpg

ez5cq4okyaef.jpg

wgaf139715og.jpg

3k3r3ivt4mo7.jpg

cg13q8oeksv2.jpg

Water / blue. There's a bathtub. Easy peasy. If Azura had to be crammed into an element I reckon it'd be water - all flux and beauty. So I've put her here with her replica dreamshard where she looks suitably magnificent.

j6edtoawdw5i.jpg

zdlud8mygjkd.jpg

Fire / red. Lovely big bosmer chandeliers with open fire. Some clockwork lamps. That gorgeous coral which fits that space perfectly. The painting of the volcano. A place for eating and the replenishment of energy. Again a little bit of Telvanni psychology with the layout. There's no chair down the other end cos there's only person who everyone should be paying attention to. Plus if people are still arriving after you're seated it's you they see immediately upon entering. Not the back of some random halfwit's head.

In case anyone's wondering the flowery ropes holding the chandeliers are upside down bosmer thrones. And the sideboard is a custom piece - it's a couple of telvanni nightstands feet to feet put inside some telvanni bookshelves.

Library

s32ctxc4eotl.jpg

2alqvxb690b4.jpg

k0lfqu6l70pq.jpg

I'm mad for books so had to have a library and noticed the murkmire bookshelves had that curve at the top like the niches in Tel Galen so jiggled one about in there and found that it fit perfectly. Then bought a bunch more.

Every bookshelf is identical (except the one behind the door) but don't look it because I've decorated the gaps strategically. Nothing complicated. Just candles or other visually distinct objects, eg. the augur of the obscure.

The Vvardenfell scale model fits nicely. Abyssal pearl inside the revolving celestiodrome on the wall.

Crafting Room

jdc8c8021f9g.jpg

sdk2vkzpsp4c.jpg

pgz226mf2oab.jpg

lzvvdzncurko.jpg

ko0cdo0hy011.jpg

b0z1wsylvrpa.jpg

This is not even close to my original vision for the room, but with the provisioning station giving off fiery yellow light and the dye station working better it yellow / natural colour light as oppose to blue, that dragged the rest of the room with it.

I think the end result works really well though. With the clockwork centerpiece - either the clockwork orrery, compact or the attunement station and everything else clockwork, I think the regular crafting stations look good. They break up the brass monotony rather than just looking cheap.

The clockwork orrery is a good example of taking advantage of the system. This is only the top section of that furnishing. The whole thing would have taken up most of the room. But just that top section is perfect as a big, interesting centerpiece which eliminates the need for lots of clutter objects.

Guest and Servant quarters / Painting Gallery

dcvdfyuh9qip.jpg

04o3r5nrhr0y.jpg

8tdvks85f8o0.jpg

0yyf9khiwo3n.jpg

I really wanted multiple spare beds. I feel like I owe Tyth and Nuz a bed each and just possibly I might be using my dock to smuggle slaves to freedom. I loved this as my personal bedroom but its built-in subdivision was just too good not to use as the guest / servant room.

There being no Telvanni single beds I downgraded to dunmer style but in soft lighting I think it still looks stylish and the curvey dunmer beds in combination with the curvey Indoril lighting looks perfect.

The room really only needs the painting over the dresser just inside the door but I decided to do every niche. I like the idea of having a painting gallery and it would be a simple, practical way to assign to people to beds - you're sleeping under the pasture, summer hill etc.

Each niche also demonstrates how well a single painting can dress a space without the need for clutter objects.

High Chamber / Main Bedroom + Ensuite with underfloor heating

6zs36ouhd0z2.jpg

xltp4tn45ivr.jpg

qb6hnu7cqk8e.jpg

I struggled with this space. A lot. There's an overload of the big ugly fleshy protuberances the moment you arrive in the room - around the teleport pad and on two of the walls. They needed to be obscured and I went through about half a dozen wildly different designs and layouts before I arrived at this. Which I now love.

If you've ever watched reno shows, the one thing universally appreciated is under floor heating in a bathroom. Even with Vvardenfell's tropical climate, the tower chamber is up very high and it could be cold as the proverbial witch's you-know-what up there.

I think it's cool and looks pretty and it's not screamingly obvious that I'm just trying to hide something butt ugly. Then I decided to keep with the bosmer theme - that's a bosmer hearth stone holding the bath - and went full jungle on that side of the room.

I might try to squeeze a few more flowers in there to get a little more colour variety but I reckon it's very close to perfect.

On the other side there's the essential bedroom furniture minus jungle. But with a Telvanni painting carrying a little piece of the jungle over to that side both with its woody frame and what it depicts.

Conclusion

It's possible to decorate even manors with much less than the maximum with ESO Plus limit of 700. If you use big pieces to maximum effect then you can create gorgeous spaces with even the unsubbed half limit. My interior looks fantastic with just 239 items.

The weird empty diagonal space on the wall outside the library / room on the left is the only area I don't feel is finished. I wasn't able to find anything which worked perfectly there so decided to leave it empty for now.

EDIT : Removed an image which had caught some friend login notifications in the chat window, i.e. their account names.
Edited by Nerouyn on August 5, 2019 12:22AM
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very enchanting! And a great show of how to make do with fewer furnishings. Would love to see this approach to Hall of the Lunar Champion, since I'm already at 200 slottos with 2 more rooms to unlock >_>

What was your light source for the colder green light by the fountain?
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Some very pretty coloured lighting, there. :smile:

Did you consider finishing up your leftover slots with some more white lights (like the Telvanni floor lamps), to try to help lift the general light level, as well?

Also, do you mind if I offer some general advice re. painting height?

The general rule is to place them a bit lower, so the middle of the painting is, roughly, at eye level (when standing).

Obviously, that will depend to an extent on the height of your char, but it's generally better to go a bit lower than eye level, if anything, than higher.

Otherwise, you would have to crane your neck, while sitting down and it just tends to look better, anyway.

Especially in arched alcoves, like that.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was your light source for the colder green light by the fountain?

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/flower-coda/

Should still be relatively cheap from guild vendors if you want some.
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    Some very pretty coloured lighting, there. :smile:

Thank you.
    Did you consider finishing up your leftover slots with some more white lights (like the Telvanni floor lamps), to try to help lift the general light level, as well?

Colourwise I find natural white / yellow to be the worst for Tel Galen. It shows up the not especially pleasant pink tumor fungal bits. I've tried to cast as little light on them as possible. Less well lit they look less tumescent and more woody.

In other colours I find they also look much less horrible. In anything other than red the pink gets washed out a bit making them look less fleshy, and in red they go more towards full red.

The crafting room is the only place where I had to light them up brightly and in yellow.

I'm amazed but happy that the crown store goblins decided to lock the yellow Telvanni lights in the store, while we can craft the superior blue ones.
    Also, do you mind if I offer some general advice re. painting height?

The general rule is to place them a bit lower, so the middle of the painting is, roughly, at eye level (when standing).

I'm aware of that rule of thumb and tried that but didn't find the result practical / aesthetic in Tel Galen.

If you look at the alcoves you'll notice that there's that step up from the floor. It's a big step up.

Placing them at character head height - even for my altmer - requires them to be very low in the alcove, which then leaves a big empty space above them.

They're all also above something else in their alcoves so can't come any lower. Except the 3 smaller ones in the gallery / guest room. If I double lamped those alcoves to the sides I could bring those 3 a bit lower.

Ideally I'd like bigger paintings in those alcoves. I don't think there's much in that size range which isn't outrageously expensive though. I might try some tapestries.
    Edited by Nerouyn on August 11, 2019 2:07PM
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taking advantage of this week's new luxury vendor offering, I swapped out the fountain for that, a crystal and a coda flower inside the crystal for light.

7ptvaf51thx9.jpg

mqksy4uir7q6.jpg

More green. More earthy. Less watery.

And Azura is no longer sharing the room with a great big tribunal fountain.
    Edited by Nerouyn on August 11, 2019 1:57PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »

Colourwise I find natural white / yellow to be the worst for Tel Galen. It shows up the not especially pleasant pink tumor fungal bits. I've tried to cast as little light on them as possible. Less well lit they look less tumescent and more woody.

In other colours I find they also look much less horrible. In anything other than red the pink gets washed out a bit making them look less fleshy, and in red they go more towards full red.

The crafting room is the only place where I had to light them up brightly and in yellow.

Oh OK, makes sense then, if you're trying to hide/camouflage stuff.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Taking advantage of this week's new luxury vendor offering, I swapped out the fountain for that, a crystal and a coda flower inside the crystal for light.

7ptvaf51thx9.jpg

mqksy4uir7q6.jpg

More green. More earthy. Less watery.

And Azura is no longer sharing the room with a great big tribunal fountain.

Looks good.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ideally I'd like bigger paintings in those alcoves. I don't think there's much in that size range which isn't outrageously expensive though. I might try some tapestries.

What about the Velothi Shroud, Mourning?