Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Your favorite monster set for a magsorc?

SickleCider
SickleCider
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I've been using Ilambris since the Pleistocene Era and haven't switched because I'm old and set in my ways, but I wonder if it's under-performing lately. What are your favorite monster sets--for the mad DEEPS, and also just for spectacle?
✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    cant go wrong with maw. loads of fun to me.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use Grothdar currently because I just use AOE skills and have sets that buff my heavy attack and I do that as well. Much like Xynode. It does damage to everything in a pretty large area and seems to proc. very often with the skills that I use.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They’re all very situational. I use several depending on what I’m doing.

Slimecraw when no combat prayer
    Zaan when melee
    Maw for more health and ST damage
    Ilambris for ranged AoE
    Grothdarr for melee AoE
    Iceheart for survivability
    Domihaus for vSS dragons
    Balorghs for burst (vHoF spider boss)
    And sometimes mixed crit sets of my crit is too low
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maw, for sure. Love when it procs (does alot as most of my attacks are dots) and get a little zoo in there.

Zaan for checking the flame and know the hurt is going to come....

Illambris for being my first true monster set. Used it for long ... i mean, weeks.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you for all the insightful responses! I'm glad to see so many of you still cherish Ilambris. I'm encouraged to keep it in my toolkit. I have some ideas about which ones I should pick up first, given my play style (Domihaus, Balorghs, Grothdar and Iceheart), and I should pick up Maw just for the fun. :p I'll have to check my bank to see which ones I already have. Thanks!
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    petsorc, Slimecraw
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    petsorc, Zaan
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using Ilambris since the Pleistocene Era and haven't switched because I'm old and set in my ways, but I wonder if it's under-performing lately. What are your favorite monster sets--for the mad DEEPS, and also just for spectacle?

Been using Maw since 2015, but in PvP of course the beloved Infernal Guardian.
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I rotate between Grothdar and Valkyn Skoria on my magsorc.

My play style and build with my magsorc means I am up in close quarters often, leading to Grothdar performing well. For more ranged fights, i.e with a boss that does crazy aoe that I need to keep my distance, I switch to Valkyn Skoria.

Both are visually impressive.

I do not use Llambris because it is a stationary aoe proc, if the enemy move out of it, its wasted. With Grothdar its me that decides who is hit by where I move and locate to, for Valkyn Skoria its obviously a ranged target proc so usually always hits.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I rotate between Grothdar and Valkyn Skoria on my magsorc.

My play style and build with my magsorc means I am up in close quarters often, leading to Grothdar performing well. For more ranged fights, i.e with a boss that does crazy aoe that I need to keep my distance, I switch to Valkyn Skoria.

Both are visually impressive.

I do not use Llambris because it is a stationary aoe proc, if the enemy move out of it, its wasted. With Grothdar its me that decides who is hit by where I move and locate to, for Valkyn Skoria its obviously a ranged target proc so usually always hits.

That's been my issue with Ilambris lately. It seems as if bosses have a tendency to move around a lot more than they used to (or else the dedicated tank is becoming extinct). I may already have Valkyn sitting in the bank, so I'll mess about with it. I think I was saving it for another toon, but it's an easily obtainable one. . . .
  • Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zaan for sure. If not either use slimecraw, or 1 pc slime 1 pc iceheart. Some use Valkyn and that’s okay added health if needed, all those options are better than illambris- even if illambris is honestly really cool to proc and looks great.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They’re all very situational. I use several depending on what I’m doing.

Slimecraw when no combat prayer
    Zaan when melee
    Maw for more health and ST damage
    Ilambris for ranged AoE
    Grothdarr for melee AoE
    Iceheart for survivability
    Domihaus for vSS dragons
    Balorghs for burst (vHoF spider boss)
    And sometimes mixed crit sets of my crit is too low

Only possible thing to add would be some PVP sets, but not really what you asked. Otherwise, this is spot on. Been rocking a lot of Domihaus since VSS launched.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hybrid sorc --> Slimecraw
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supprised more people haven't tried Lord Warden/Pirate for the bonus mitigation. Is there a better way to get 5k resists? Was thinking prot jewelery but thats dropping alot of magicka
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's been my issue with Ilambris lately. It seems as if bosses have a tendency to move around a lot more than they used to (or else the dedicated tank is becoming extinct). I may already have Valkyn sitting in the bank, so I'll mess about with it. I think I was saving it for another toon, but it's an easily obtainable one. . . .

Yeah exactly, but this is indeed in part a problem with ineffective tanking. A good tank will hold a boss in position precisely so that the groups aoe damage can have full impact. A very good tank will also pull all adds to the boss as well, so that aoe damage is having maximum effect and all enemies are dispatched asap.
    Lokey0024 wrote: »
    Supprised more people haven't tried Lord Warden/Pirate for the bonus mitigation. Is there a better way to get 5k resists? Was thinking prot jewelery but thats dropping alot of magicka

I use Lord Warden on my tank/dps hybrid, its great for the resistances. Never liked Pirate for some reason, I'm just not into pirates! For my dedicated tank, he really doesnt need additional resistances but sometimes pop Lord Warden on if I am tackling more difficult content.

• m2rc
    m2rc
    ✭✭✭
    Ilambris.
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lokey0024 wrote: »

I did this for a while, but in my experience full pirate set out preforms mixing those two. That may change next patch? I think they are nerfing it.

I currently use pirate set in PVP and Llambris in PVE.

I find that I need to wear pretty tanky gear to stay alive in PVP with 400 ping.. :(
    Quite happy with my build though, a pretty good mix of tanky/power with Bright-Throat/Spell strategist/Pirate. I also put on a couple health glyphs instead of full magika everything since sheilds have to scale of health instead of magika now....
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ilambris when you have better than 70% healer combat prayer uptime, slimeclaw otherwise.

Next patch with the new DOT's and the destruction of sorc, if you are still playing it probably skoria / slimeclaw
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 pc crit + 1pc crit (Zaan + Iceheart), it's what I do on every magicka character for PvE with the Shadow stone meta. I hate when my proc get wasted by mechanics, and I also don't really need the extra health from Skoria.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    People are talking about resistances and nobody has mentioned mighty chudan. Isn't that the best resists you can get from a monster set? I'm talking about selfish resists and not buffing a group of course.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    malistorr wrote: »
    People are talking about resistances and nobody has mentioned mighty chudan. Isn't that the best resists you can get from a monster set? I'm talking about selfish resists and not buffing a group of course.

Chudan on a sorc is a very bad set considering you have hurricane and boundless storm, and both give a great buff to your movement. In fact Chudan is one of the worst sets in the game (2 pieces, 1 pc paired with Lord Warden or Pirate Skeleton is great)
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    malistorr wrote: »
    Better to think of Chudan as a "save a skill slot" set rather than a defensive set. As @Xvorg said there are better options if you want to be tanky. I still like it on some classes tho.