The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Old furnishings compared to new. Can we get an update, please?

SpiderKnight
SpiderKnight
✭✭✭✭✭
Actually I don't really care if you update, but it's probably already been noted. Just wondering why older furnishings look worse than the new ones, more detail in the Elsweyr bench, just blurry, junk texture on High Elf stuff. They're both green. Altmer don't deserve this.

d4UYqir.jpg
Edited by SpiderKnight on July 31, 2019 3:03AM
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They already said they dont touch old assets. I doubt they will update anything, unless it's for ESO2
  • Sporvan
    Sporvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's kinda sad that they won't touch old assets. The old furniture looks like lego in comparison to the new ones.

It would revitalize old areas as well if they made them more detailed but stuck to the same sizes.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the Elsweyr stuff is blurry, too.

As is some of the other stuff - even stuff that wasn't blurry before.

What I find particularly weird is this:

of1424iy6q0l.png

That vase is part of a furnishing pack (you can't make, or buy it, ingame).

So, people definitely paid for it.

It never used to look like that:

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/vase-gilded-offering/

At the very least, stuff that has degraded, for some reason (especially, but not only, Crown Store-only stuff), should be rectified.
    Edited by Tigerseye on July 31, 2019 6:49PM
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the original Altmer furniture looks junky. It's a shame.
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it's a shame.

I had to downgrade to dark elf style in my house for a room where I wanted several single beds. With poor Tyth and Nuz on call 24 / 7 I feel like I at least owe them beds.

There are no single Telvanni's. I tried sinking one partially into a wall but it didn't look awesome. The Redoran and Hlaalu ones are messy. Messy is ok if it's the only bed in the room but with duplicates it looks unreal. Duplicate made beds is realistic. Duplicate beds in the exact same random state of disarray is not.

So I had to go dark elf.

The poorer resolution on those furnishing is a downer.

Though with dim lighting and most of it concentrated away from the beds the room ended up looking good.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sporvan wrote: »
    That's kinda sad that they won't touch old assets. The old furniture looks like lego in comparison to the new ones.

It would revitalize old areas as well if they made them more detailed but stuck to the same sizes.

I agree with you but would it suit their business model?

They want everyone to want the shiny, new, better looking furniture.

They want everyone to buy the latest expansions so they can get the shiny new furniture more easily.

They want everyone to want to buy the latest crown store homes which the shiny new furniture will look the best in.

Admittedly I'm a bit exhausted because I've been decorating non-stop for a while - which is both time consuming and expensive - but the fantasy for me is to have a home. Singular. Not an endless collection of homes.

Having achieved the fantasy I'm not very motivated to do it again. Being stuck with slightly less shiny furnishings doesn't change that.

There's also the critical issue of first impressions. The MMO market is very competitive. If a new or prospective player checks out the game's furnishings and happen to look at the older, poorer resolution sets, they'll reasonably assume that to be representative of all furnishings.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    The Redoran and Hlaalu ones are messy. Messy is ok if it's the only bed in the room but with duplicates it looks unreal. Duplicate made beds is realistic. Duplicate beds in the exact same random state of disarray is not.

That is a very good point.

There should really be made and unmade versions of every bed colourway.

At the moment, one of the Elsweyr beds comes in a Rumpled, or made, version, but the covers are in different colours.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also, another thing that has occurred to me, for a while, is that we should be able to flip items (i.e. change the direction they face in.).

If we could do that, we could make true pairs of things, like ornaments, which would be great, but we could also flip the unmade beds (and also, things like plants) so they look more natural and realistic.