The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Maelstrom looth chance.....

KinnikuBeam
KinnikuBeam
✭✭✭
Hello, I've been doing Maelstrom for 2 months now, to win Maelstrom's bow, and I still have not got it, what's the problem .... i finish each test on a score between 400000 and 450 000 and even with the reward in fact of week, not nothing makes there, I do not win it, I begin to depressed and be nauseated of the game.
  • Shanehere
    Shanehere
    ✭✭✭
    Create a magicka-based character, level him up, and make him your main. Become so completely invested in this character that you now completely disregard all of your other characters. When you hit max level, begin gearing him. Get all the sets and jewelry you need to complete whatever content you prefer, and finally set foot into vMA and work painstakingly in order to acquire a precious vMA Inferno Staff.

That's when the vMA Bow should drop for you.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Shanehere wrote: »
    Create a magicka-based character, level him up, and make him your main. Become so completely invested in this character that you now completely disregard all of your other characters. When you hit max level, begin gearing him. Get all the sets and jewelry you need to complete whatever content you prefer, and finally set foot into vMA and work painstakingly in order to acquire a precious vMA Inferno Staff.

That's when the vMA Bow should drop for you.

^ Fact
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i ran vMa over 200 times and i never found a inferno staff. The only one i have comes from weekly reward.

Be patient
    PC-EU
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They did change the drop chance of Maelstrom weapons quite some time ago. The drop table originally favored the bow, since the roll went by set first, there are only six sets, and the bow is the only Thunderous Volley weapon.

A couple years ago they changed the drop rates to select for weapon type first rather than set, which would give the bow less than an 8% chance of dropping, iirc, if all weapon types had the same weight. But they explicitly lowered the drop rate of bows on top of that, without specifying what the actual chance is in the end.

Since it’s chance, it takes some people very few runs and others very many. Some people get what they want on their first run, others only after 100 runs. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

If it’s really putting you off this much, it may be best to take a break from vMA. The bow might very well lose its BiS status next patch anyhow in favor of the master’s.
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farming Master Bow is another pain in the a** :D
    PC-EU
  • SORjosh
    SORjosh
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, I've been doing Maelstrom for 2 months now, to win Maelstrom's bow, and I still have not got it, what's the problem .... i finish each test on a score between 400000 and 450 000 and even with the reward in fact of week, not nothing makes there, I do not win it, I begin to depressed and be nauseated of the game.

It took me 100+ clears over the course of a year to finally get mine. Good luck, prayers sent.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jecks33 wrote: »

Indeed! But if you do it with friends, at least you have some company - and up to three other chances at the right drop. :)
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RNJesus has been kind to me in vMA... 2 inferno staves, 2 bows, 2 resto staves, , 2x sets of DW weaps, sword + board, and 2x two-handers over 8 runs + 3 sets of weekly rewards. Not all of that is useful, but hey, you never know. The things I wanted (bow, staff) dropped in the correct trait and everything! I do want the shock staff though, so that'll probably be the thing to take ages...

Dat BSW inferno staff on the other hand... I'm convinced it's the rarest drop in the game.
  • pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my lightning staff on second complete.
    Bow on the 5th.

Just my luck, after 10 completes no reason to do it anymore :p
    English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
  • Betty_Booms
    Betty_Booms
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had 3 bows drop on my mag sorc. 1 lightening staff.
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Indeed! But if you do it with friends, at least you have some company - and up to three other chances at the right drop. :)

How do you do a solo arena with friends? Or are you only referring to Master weapons?
    Edited by rotaugen454 on July 30, 2019 8:24PM
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    300+ runs for me to get my sharp lightning, back when that was the best, and before transmutation.

Was still going for my infused bow when they announced transmutation, and decided one of the 15 I had saved in other traits could be transmuted. :lol:
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you do a solo arena with friends? Or are you only referring to Master weapons?

In fairness, we used to do VMA races/drinking games back in the day. We would all get in Teamspeak (yeah discord wasnt a thing) and all start at the same time. You die, you drink. Trash talking was also highly encouraged.
  • eso_lytw8
    eso_lytw8
    ✭✭✭
    There is a lot of evidence that suggests the drop rates are not equal and differ by character. This means that some characters have a higher chance for some weapons and lower chance for others. What is really random is whether or not you are on a character that has a decent chance at getting a bow. The good news is this appears to reset every 3-6 months and also is different for weapons coming from the weekly mail drop. So if you are good at VMA I recommend running it on another character. Also consider how long you've been trying if you've tried for 3+ months you might get a reset and be able to get a bow, but for some people the reset comes and you still get a lousy bow chance so it can go on for years if you are really unlucky.

Its been reported that people have gone 500+ tries without an inferno staff. If you doubt what I have written calculate the odds of not get an inferno staff with 500+ tried at a 1/12th chance. It is as impossible as impossible gets, yet it happens meaning some characters don't have a 1/12th chance.

The above theory completely explains how 500+ runs without a specific weapon could happen.

Hope this helps.
    < Xbox NA PVE >
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_lytw8 wrote: »
    There is a lot of evidence that suggests the drop rates are not equal and differ by character. This means that some characters have a higher chance for some weapons and lower chance for others. What is really random is whether or not you are on a character that has a decent chance at getting a bow. The good news is this appears to reset every 3-6 months and also is different for weapons coming from the weekly mail drop. So if you are good at VMA I recommend running it on another character. Also consider how long you've been trying if you've tried for 3+ months you might get a reset and be able to get a bow, but for some people the reset comes and you still get a lousy bow chance so it can go on for years if you are really unlucky.

Its been reported that people have gone 500+ tries without an inferno staff. If you doubt what I have written calculate the odds of not get an inferno staff with 500+ tried at a 1/12th chance. It is as impossible as impossible gets, yet it happens meaning some characters don't have a 1/12th chance.

The above theory completely explains how 500+ runs without a specific weapon could happen.

Hope this helps.

I would hypothesize that many of those people are either...

1. Embellishing the number substantially (humans are terrible at "counting" numbers beyond 20 or so in regards to events)
    2. Talking about 500+ runs BEFORE transmutation, where you now had 96 variants work through, which is much, much more plausible to happen.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Carl-lan
    Carl-lan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Second that Magica character theory. I run a stam NB and have wanted the bow for ages. Yet I have a sharpened inferno staff, lightning staff among others, and a heap of shields... yet no bow. I’ve never even use those weapons! Super frustrating.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I was responding to the quote about farming the Master’s bow, yes.

Now I suppose you could invite some friends over for moral support for vma. I’d have to pay mine in popcorn, though...
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_lytw8 wrote: »

Hope this helps.

I have heard the same thing for years, and I don't buy any of it.

The second I hear someone say they have done VMA 500 times, I already dont believe what comes next. To be candid, I have no clue how many times I have done that place, but I know it's not anywhere near 500. When we transmute finally became a thing, I went through and kept 5 of each weapon type, and deconed the rest. I had a lot of decon'ing to do, and many of my runs were before guaranteed drops in the final chest. Not saying it's not possible, but I dont believe anyone has actually run 500 times and never seen a bow (or fire staff, or whatever).
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was responding to the quote about farming the Master’s bow, yes.

Now I suppose you could invite some friends over for moral support for vma. I’d have to pay mine in popcorn, though...

Mine would demand beer.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG can be a fickle mistress
    Or she can smile on you.

First vMA completion I got an inferno staff
    Second, I got the bow.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The title of this post has read “looth” all damn day.

Can you get off your ass and just edit it already?!
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    The title of this post has read “looth” all damn day.

Can you get off your ass and just edit it already?!

I was just thinking the same thing...
    🤣