Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

An open world, easy implementation PvP concept.

Cathexis
Cathexis
✭✭✭✭✭
So we have duels.
We have battlegrounds.
We have AvA.

Sadly, we do not have true open world PvP.
But what if we could? What if it could be implemented in a very simple format, that is unique, and a different sort of play.

I had been thinking for a while now how sad it is that Blade if Woe could not reasonably be implemented into PvP in a rational way where it was balanced, because it is a lot of fun to play around with in PvE.

But then I thought, well why not throw the idea out on the forums anyway and at least it gets out there. I had been thinking... What if this could be implemented as a form of open world PvP, outside of Cyrodiil.

How it would work would be fairly simple. Basically, players could use Dark Brotherhood access to "opt in" to a timed period where four rules apply.

(1) You can be killed by Blade of Woe
(2) You can use the Blade of Woe on any player who has opted in.
(3) Opt ins last 1 or 2 hours.
(4) Being seen killing a player by an NPC or another player gets you a bounty, just like normal

Players susceptible to Blade of Woe could only be seen using Camo or Evil Hunter, the same way they used to (I assume still) highlight Werewolfs and Vampires, or perhaps through some ability or passive in the DB skill line.

Anyway, just an idea to throw out. Thought it would be a fun form of PvP, easy to implement, and a sort of quiet, assassination style approach.
Edited by Cathexis on July 8, 2019 4:39PM
The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
Praise Malacath.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can feel the salty tears of the PvE carebears lamenting in horror by the mention of "open world PvP".....

I, for one, welcome the classic Star Wars (Pre-NGE) open world battles....
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • TheShadower92
    TheShadower92
    ✭✭
    And what would be the point? Pressing 'x' to kill a player. Boy, that sounds exciting.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what would be the point? Pressing 'x' to kill a player. Boy, that sounds exciting.

Yes well, I did say it was simplified. It also requires being sneaky, and not only that but it requires finding sneaky players as well. Emphasis would shift to sneaker gear, and it would be less tank and more cloak and dagger.

I think it would be fun, it would force you to be on your toes while you pve, while keeping your focus on pve, if you enjoy that sort of thing. It is much more low skill and relaxed.

A lot like pies and mudballs.
    Edited by Cathexis on July 9, 2019 4:38AM
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like a mini game of tag, but you die.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    Like a mini game of tag, but you die.

Exactly, and you can be invisible and you have to find your targets with an ability.
    Edited by Cathexis on July 9, 2019 5:47AM
    Praise Malacath.
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a game mode to be implemented fight after the fight as mudcrabs one.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    darkblue5 wrote: »
    Sounds like a game mode to be implemented fight after the fight as mudcrabs one.

Lol was this a legit proposal, I would fight as a mudcrab. Mudcrabs are probably cutthroat I would imagine.
    Praise Malacath.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no issues with open world PvP features as long as there is no way to tick/bait people who don't want to partake into entering.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    darkblue5 wrote: »

The longer I watch the more intrigued I become... Also the more I realize crabs are gross.

These swords they just.... Are laying around?
    Edited by Cathexis on July 9, 2019 8:45AM
    Praise Malacath.
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should search the forums for all of the ideas people suggested to the devs when the rest of the justice system was cancelled. So. Many. Great. Ideas. and none of them considered. A lot of us cried about it for months, but nope, they never budged. One of them was similar to your idea here. My idea was to create a bounty system for people that commit crimes in factions other than their own. In their own faction only guards could attack them, but while visiting foreign factions where they've committed crimes, they could be attacked by players. Assuming they opt in to the open world pvp system.
    Edited by ProbablePaul on July 12, 2019 12:14PM
    Bosmer Melee Magicka Nightblade
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should search the forums for all of the ideas people suggested to the devs when the rest of the justice system was cancelled. So. Many. Great. Ideas. and none of them considered. A lot of us cried about it for months, but nope, they never budged. One of them was similar to your idea here. My idea was to create a bounty system for people that commit crimes in factions other than their own. In their own faction only guards could attack them, but while visiting foreign factions where they've committed crimes, they could be attacked by players. Assuming they opt in to the open world pvp system.

i remembered.

but the rest of it WAS so good that effectively you are turning the game into a full-fledge open world PvP.

i totally see it as never getting implemented.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would love open world pvp, it would be awesome.
    they could make the spawn points at wayshrines and quest givers the same as they did in the imperial city, with a timer and a safety at those points to allow you to not be instaganked and play normal.
    it would make eso soo much better for me and many.
    it would be awesome.
  • vonknobby
    vonknobby
    I miss Warhammer Online, where you could invade someone's PvE dungeon, kill them, an then finish up the bosses for loot if you like. :#
    🍺[PC|NA] "Futz Puckerz" [AD|PvX]🍺 Recruiting New, Returning, and Veteran players.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please tell me you aren't a game developer ....
    unsure.gif

• Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vonknobby wrote: »
    I miss Warhammer Online, where you could invade someone's PvE dungeon, kill them, an then finish up the bosses for loot if you like. :#
    Oh man the salt! Every pvp troll (which is like 90% of us) would abandon Cyrodil just to do this, at least for a little while.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    vonknobby wrote: »
    Oh man the salt! Every pvp troll (which is like 90% of us) would abandon Cyrodil just to do this, at least for a little while.

Heh ya, I would give up pvp to play this, it would be way more fun. Way more expansive settings, so much less upkeep, so much more planning and carefulness. None of this wet pool noodle business.
    Praise Malacath.
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and make the option buyable with crowns or only for eso plus members lol
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds terrible, An entire PvP concept based around mag regen and nightblade cloak, basically the sewers
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Blade of Woe on Players? Would be completely broken if there was a class that can stay invis for infinity by investing into 1 5 piece set since you dont Need Damage anyway, good Thing that isnt the case in ESO and this totally wouldnt turn into a go nightblade or go home mode.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »
    Blade of Woe on Players? Would be completely broken if there was a class that can stay invis for infinity by investing into 1 5 piece set since you dont Need Damage anyway, good Thing that isnt the case in ESO and this totally wouldnt turn into a go nightblade or go home mode.

You know detects and stealth sets exist right? Also thats sort of the point, it not requiring damage or tanking, its just death tag. It would probably actually feel more like pvp than pvp right now.. and I mean if you don't like it you don't have to participate right?
    Edited by Cathexis on July 21, 2019 6:04PM
    Praise Malacath.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cathexis wrote: »
    You know detects and stealth sets exist right? Also thats sort of the point, it not requiring damage or tanking, its just death tag. It would probably actually feel more like pvp than pvp right now.. and I mean if you don't like it you don't have to participate right?

No you dont have to participate if you dont like it, but i just find the idea silly to create a gamemode that so blatantly caters to one out of all existing classes instead of making a gamemode where classes can be somewhat equal.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

No you dont have to participate if you dont like it, but i just find the idea silly to create a gamemode that so blatantly caters to one out of all existing classes instead of making a gamemode where classes can be somewhat equal.

Every class is equal in that context. Every class can stealth, every class can reduce their stealth radius, and you are required to use stealth to use blade of woe (it does not use invis)
    Edited by Cathexis on July 21, 2019 6:15PM
    Praise Malacath.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Every class is equal in that context. Every class can stealth, every class can reduce their stealth radius, and you are required to use stealth to use blade of woe (it does not use invis)

But on no other class you can restealth at will if you get revealed out of Sneak.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just sounds like an idea for wannabe ninjas to feel badass. Too many players in Cyrodiil are too tanky for instant kills so you want an easier method.

Doesn’t matter though, because there is zero chance ZOS would ever implement something that took this much of a redesign of their game engine.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    This just sounds like an idea for wannabe ninjas to feel badass. Too many players in Cyrodiil are too tanky for instant kills so you want an easier method.

Doesn’t matter though, because there is zero chance ZOS would ever implement something that took this much of a redesign of their game engine.

Well I think it's just about having a different type of play, not really about players who are too tanky. Imo tank meta is killing the game, but that's a separate issue entirely.
    Praise Malacath.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »

Well I think it's just about having a different type of play, not really about players who are too tanky. Imo tank meta is killing the game, but that's a separate issue entirely.

And the solution to tank meta is letting the rogue wannabees One shot people out of stealth again? I don't think you realize how ridicilous this idea is, Its not even worth discussing.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on July 21, 2019 7:37PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had been thinking for a while now how sad it is that Blade if Woe could not reasonably be implemented into PvP in a rational way where it was balanced, because it is a lot of fun to play around with in PvE.

First off it seems OP is interested in one shot kills of players in open world. That is hardly PvP if the other player does not have a chance to fight.

As for the rest of the idea, Zos was going to have a PvP aspect of the justice system added to the game with DB. The issue was Zos would have to add a system for players to opt in or Zos would have forced players to avoid a certain aspect of the PvE aspects of the game.

In the end Zos decided to forgoe their idea as it is hard to implement a good opt in system to a game that was never designed for open world PvP throughout the bulk of the game. If you want true open world PvP I suggest playing a game actually designed with open world PvP in mind.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we have duels.
    We have battlegrounds.
    We have AvA.

But what if we could? What if it could be implemented in a very simple format, that is unique, and a different sort of play.

But then I thought, well why not throw the idea out on the forums anyway and at least it gets out there. I had been thinking... What if this could be implemented as a form of open world PvP, outside of Cyrodiil.

How it would work would be fairly simple. Basically, players could use Dark Brotherhood access to "opt in" to a timed period where four rules apply.

(4) Being seen killing a player by an NPC or another player gets you a bounty, just like normal

Players susceptible to Blade of Woe could only be seen using Camo or Evil Hunter, the same way they used to (I assume still) highlight Werewolfs and Vampires, or perhaps through some ability or passive in the DB skill line.

Anyway, just an idea to throw out. Thought it would be a fun form of PvP, easy to implement, and a sort of quiet, assassination style approach.

Yes first of all make nightblade op using blade of woe. Dumbest decision, who in the world wants to be instantly killed. Second of all this is a story heavy mmo. Doesnt make sense for you to be sharing the same city and then be doing a quest 15 feet from its gate and to be ganked by a group of players. Just doesnt work in a game like this.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    erio wrote: »
    So we have duels.
    We have battlegrounds.
    We have AvA.

Yes first of all make nightblade op using blade of woe. Dumbest decision, who in the world wants to be instantly killed. Second of all this is a story heavy mmo. Doesnt make sense for you to be sharing the same city and then be doing a quest 15 feet from its gate and to be ganked by a group of players. Just doesnt work in a game like this.

group of players? only would take one... and once again, you can't use blade of woe while cloaked, only in stealth, and an opt in only idea. Player's cant attack you, they can only blade of woe you.
    Edited by Cathexis on July 22, 2019 1:54AM
    Praise Malacath.