Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Opinion on the Hammer

JobooAGS
JobooAGS
✭✭✭✭✭
Now that the hammer has been in the game for a couple of campaigns, what is your opinion on it? Explain why you have such opinion along with alliance, campaign and platform.

Opinion on the Hammer 109 votes

Overwhelmly positive, the addition of the hammer is overall healthy to the game, this is one of the better things zos has done.
3%
WillhelmBlackkarthrag_inakAhtuNitribit 4 votes
Overall positive
11%
GilvothShareefrozywozyleepalmer95TravestynoxMrSinister213Kr3doMetemsycosisDojohodaWizunashuschdeguddzjeGarieleLoreToo 13 votes
Somewhat positive
9%
EirellaWabuDreylochRecremenGnortranermaraSacredxAki-RalStarlight_Knightdarkblue5Sendirra 10 votes
Neutral, I have no real opinion on the hammer
11%
xMovingTargetIruil_ESOZouniRebornV3xAeremPuzzlenutsWaltherCarrawayDosuulDominion_NightbladeAlanTheDragonLordzECHOShanehereKhlona 13 votes
Somewhat negative
6%
ellahellabellaXarcadirondacksusmitdsx48rphcolossalvoidsSephyr 7 votes
Overall negative
17%
Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESOBRogueNZAdernatholsborgVagabondAngelKartalinTheBonesXXXTBoisDerraAsmaelViveundotmeSpeydeHashtag_RianaiHeimpaia_u_s_t_ycrazy_catman21Plasma_Elf 19 votes
Overwhelmly negative, the hammer should be sent back to Malacath asap, this is one of the worst decisions zos has made
39%
Oktainejosh.lackey_ESOdennissomb16_ESOLauranaebiminirwb17_ESOks888LarsSmanny254EnkilThunderclapAgrippa_InvisusSurprisedFour91SaepioVaohNBrookusThrasher91604ox_CROUCH_xozykTarrocanfred4 43 votes
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat positive
    It's mostly fun and can be a great way to disrupt the meta for a half hour and prevent things from getting too stale, but it also automatically means giant zergs from all involved factions wherever it happens to be on the map. When the server improvements go live, if they're significant enough, then that problem will go away and we can just have fun with it.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Overall positive
    It creates a new facet to current Cyrodiil strategies.

pc-na DC Kaalgrontiid
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall negative
    Shouldnt have ever been brought into the game.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall positive
    only problem i saw was when a guy has the hammer and hes protected constantly by his zerg of 200 people.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overwhelmly negative, the hammer should be sent back to Malacath asap, this is one of the worst decisions zos has made
    Volendrung was the straw that broke this camel's back. It accentuates everything I dislike about Cyrodiil.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall positive
    Its a good idea it just shouldn't be able to be picked up by emp faction.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see the brainstorming session. How the Hammer would shake up the map, create new fights and spread people out. Give smaller groups a chance to make a big impact!

Reality: 300 players immediately convene on the hammer.
  • Wabu
    Wabu
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhat positive
    Would like to see it become more combat focused than siege focused.
    EU PC | CP 1,000+
    NA PC | Level 10
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Somewhat negative
    It'd have been nice for them to fix the performance of Cyrodiil before adding anything that caused more issues. The hammer would be a fun, interesting change if it weren't for the amount of lag due to everyone and their mother being where the hammer is.
  • ATomiX69
    ATomiX69
    ✭✭✭✭
    The second the hammer pops up on the map you can see 50 braindead apes storming to it and run around with the carrier inducing even more lag than 10 ballgroups combined.
    Only use-case of this trash "artifact" is to PvDoor and thats about it, maybe you can kill squishies with 20k hp and 0 resistances but thats about it, doesnt do *** all damage to players with actual builds.
    smurf account
    New PvP content when?
    Better cyro performance when?
    Farmed about 3 GO's worth of AP
    world 3rd immortal redeemer (22.02.18) and other not noteworthy trifectas
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anything that benefits trash PvDoor zerglings ruins cyrodiil
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why not make it so when the hammer is found everyone in cyrodiil gets the hammer.

Battle royale of hammers!
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat positive
    ATomiX69 wrote: »
    The second the hammer pops up on the map you can see 50 braindead apes storming to it and run around with the carrier inducing even more lag than 10 ballgroups combined.
    Only use-case of this trash "artifact" is to PvDoor and thats about it, maybe you can kill squishies with 20k hp and 0 resistances but thats about it, doesnt do *** all damage to players with actual builds.

It kills people with "actual builds" all the time, it just doesn't have much use against dedicated tank builds. Those aren't a threat, though, they're a half step up from completely useless.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Overwhelmly positive, the addition of the hammer is overall healthy to the game, this is one of the better things zos has done.
    Been asking for daedric artifacts for years and was not disappointed. Can't wait to see more, even possible counters to Volendruung.
    PC EU
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Take it out of PvP and make it a weapon skin. It looks pretty sick.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • ATomiX69
    ATomiX69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »

It kills people with "actual builds" all the time, it just doesn't have much use against dedicated tank builds. Those aren't a threat, though, they're a half step up from completely useless.

Ah ok so medium armor with 0 defensive sets is a tank now, gotcha.
    smurf account
    New PvP content when?
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    I can see the brainstorming session. How the Hammer would shake up the map, create new fights and spread people out. Give smaller groups a chance to make a big impact!

Reality: 300 players immediately convene on the hammer.

I think you're giving ZOS both too little and too much credit. I can't imagine how the result would have been any different. The devs who have instigated the pvdoor map rolling zergfest in Cyrodiil have given a toy to those who enjoy it.

I don't think they're even trying to make this a good experience for people who enjoy PVP in other games. I think they've been trying for years to make Cyrodiil enjoyable to people who, fundamentally, do not enjoy PVP.
    Edited by zyk on July 20, 2019 5:06PM
  • manny254
    manny254
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What hammer? I only know of the lag beam that tells me I should leave Cyro if I want to use any of my skills.
    - Mojican
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    its bad
    - spawns behind enemy gates every time
    - brings massive lag in already laggy cyrodiil
    - its unfair advantage for alliance that has it
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cute diversion from the monotony that has has been the Cyrodiil map for 5+ years.

I'd like it better if there were more hamsters powering the servers and it wasn't such a PvDoor tool.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cute diversion from the monotony that has has been the Cyrodiil map for 5+ years.

I'd like it better if there were more hamsters powering the servers and it wasn't such a PvDoor tool.

I guess many of our opinions including my own is due to the hamsters going on strike and therefore getting the Gigalagfest we have when all of cyrodiil stacks in 1 place, including the hammer
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neutral, I have no real opinion on the hammer
    2 artifacts on map at the same time might be interesting.
    Edited by WaltherCarraway on July 21, 2019 3:31AM
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat positive
    I'll say that the only times I've seen the hammer be worth picking up is when an organized ball group gets it. PuG zergs with the hammer are just hammer delivery machines. I'll admit I don't mind the fights generated as the map goes back to equilibrium.

After getting to see good groups use it a couple of times and have my curiosity sated I tend to avoid it. TBH I've never seen it generate lag where there wasn't already... because usually it just goes to where there already is a laggy large-scale fight for the next keep.

Overall it isn't "fair" and certainly some scrolls have been lost due to hammer RNG but I ultimately don't care about campaign score so??? It generates some ok fights and gank opportunities as the map goes back to normal and that's mostly what I care about.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat positive

If you're having trouble killing a medium armor user with the hammer then you're either falling for the roll dodge runaround or you forgot that abilities are a thing. The hammer hits like a truck.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • ATomiX69
    ATomiX69
    ✭✭✭✭

If you're having trouble killing a medium armor user with the hammer then you're either falling for the roll dodge runaround or you forgot that abilities are a thing. The hammer hits like a truck.

No im the dude in the medium build with 0 defensive sets and I dont think ive died by the hammer once so far.
    It hits for like 3k ticks, its an absolute joke.
    smurf account
    New PvP content when?
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Two reasons:

(1) It destroys performance as players congregate around it. It does the opposite from spreading players around the map.

(2) It can single-handedly turn the whole map, to the point where my guild have given up on playing Cyrodiil as they see all their hard work evaporate due to a stupid, random event.

Point 2 is this extreme due to the exploit whereby a faction can indefinitely retain the hammer. My point would be, though, that randomness is bad in all forms, in PvP. Gilliam would agree, that much I know. It's why the procs on the heavy armor sets (Fury, 7th, Ravager) are changing to become more reliable and why things like Implosion were abolished.

The thing that's most galling is that ZOS found time to implement this instead of working on Cyro performance / lag. Their priorities are very hard to understand. Here they're doing something for PvP, but instead of working on the most glaring issue, they chose to dump this pile of crap on top.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • VagabondAngel
    VagabondAngel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Overall negative
    Every mechanic they try to introduce to try and counter zergs serves to make zergs stronger and encourage zerging.
    ~ Níamh ~
    ~ Ebonheart Pact ~

~ SatGNU - PC - EU ~
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every mechanic they try to introduce to try and counter zergs serves to make zergs stronger and encourage zerging.

Why does everyone think this was designed to counter zergs? To me, it was an obvious buff to faction stacks that turn the map one color.

When it was revealed, I thought ZOS was trolling us because it's so clearly a pvdoor tool. I think it's being used exactly as it was intended. ZOS wants its PVE casuals to have fun in Cyrodiil, so they don't really care at all about designing quality PVP IMO.
    Edited by zyk on July 21, 2019 6:52PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    When it was revealed, I thought ZOS was trolling us because it's so clearly a pvdoor tool. I think it's being used exactly as it was intended. ZOS wants its PVE casuals to have fun in Cyrodiil, so they don't really care at all about designing quality PVP IMO.
    Yep. Kick in the teeth to actual PvPers. Either destroys your efforts when another faction gets it or devalues your accomplishment when your's does. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hated it at first, but now I like the way it shakes up the map.

It is a zerg attracter though.