The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Stamblade PVP question for the experts

DUTCH_REAPER
DUTCH_REAPER
✭✭✭✭✭
I main a magblade which isn’t saying much about my skill bc I die fairly often as I’m trying to get this gank thing down lol. But I noticed stamblades seem to be able to cloak and stay invisible with no problems. How do you do that as a stam player may I ask. When I’m trying to get away I am smashing cloak and my pool is pretty drained. Just curious bc I know there are WAAYyY better players than me for sure out there. Thanks in advance
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadow Image for repositioning before cloaking.

You need speed buffs (major expedition) to cloak reliably.

Stamblade usually run bow coupled with dodge roll which give major expedition. Add shuffle for snare and immobilisation removal + immunity, it allow you to success cloak.

You need to think about the soft counter each class can run, for exemple a sorc will Streak when you cloak, a DK will use breath or volatile armor, ect.

• Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As long as you don't spam cloak its not too difficult to manage your magicka sustain. You can also spec into some mag recovery as a stamblade but then you have to sacrifice some damage / stam sustain.
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold food that gives tri regen worked good.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my magblade I use race against time for my major exp and snare immunity/ removal bc I need the speed. I have a stamblade that I hardly use and I think I am missing the sequence of skills to get away. I may have to go to sacrifice that damage for some mag recovery until I can get the hang of it I guess.
    Edited by DUTCH_REAPER on July 20, 2019 5:38PM
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use tri-regen drink. Lusty Argonian something. But as far that goes, it’s really understanding how your opponents will move — I don’t really have any source of Major expedition, sometimes I’ll run speed pots, but it’s also understanding how some abilities work against you. I also run tristat potions. But I don’t really use shadowy disguise to run away, typically I use it as a way to dodge projectiles and to get the guaranteed crit on an ability. Running dw and 2h.
  • Ethoir
    Ethoir
    ✭✭✭
    And if you do it in a particular way, you'll have just barely enough magicka regen to get away with 4 or 5 consecutive cloaks if you time them properly (cloak once, wait three seconds, cloak again, ecetera).

I should point out, however, that since stamblades have a small magicka pool to begin with, emphasizing on tactical uses of cloak and shadow image for positioning are quite important. That and magicka regen isn't that important to a stamblade. Sure, you could do it, but you'd be giving up some stam sustain and damage potential.

Its all up to player preferences in the end. You use what works for you.
    Participant in the Sanguine's Tester beta group since November 2013.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either thier running mag recovery food or cloaking into sneak.

But Mobility is your primary. Cloak is secondary.

If you don't first juke or create good spacing between you and your opponents cloak will most often be a waste.

Way more than aoe will break it and you will have no indications that its happening.

Escape 1st, then cloak.

Safety 1st kids.
    Edited by Royalthought on July 20, 2019 5:58PM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This stamblade video is 4 years old and some mechanics have changed, but the video highlights nightblade techniques, some of which you might already know from playing magblade.

(Heads-up- this video contains typical cuss words.) :p
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1BxRNHVGpk

Key highlights are
    1. Observation of the opponents: their health pool and skills they have in use that can detect nightblade. Also be aware of detect pot range, you want to be out of that range if possible. The speed buffs mentioned by @Aedaryl helps you get out of all kinds of detection range.
    2. Get away techniques: Cloak is useful for 3 things- but I want to mention strategic positioning as the main one for stamblade and he shows how he circles back when cloaking. Please note that he isn't using Shadow Image and, as mentioned above by @Aedaryl , Shadow Image is good for positioning.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rule Number 1 of Stamina Nightblade PvP:

Learn to survive without Cloak. I am not asking to you to stop using Cloak. If you can survive without Cloak, you can add Cloak on top of it for ridiculous mind games, which you can improve further with Shade. The good players identify situations where Cloak is being countered and immediately either switch to another way to survive/evade before Cloaking or switch to offensive fighting styles. The bad players spam Cloak without realizing it is wasted. Basically fight like a brawlerblade rather than a gankblade.

https://youtu.be/xD3NYj8FkHE

Here's a clip with me in BG with 350+ ping, medium armor, zero protective. I was focused by all almost every opponent at times.
    Edited by susmitds on July 20, 2019 6:43PM
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ susmitds gets it.
  • nsmurfer
    nsmurfer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

Learn to survive without Cloak. I am not asking to you to stop using Cloak. If you can survive without Cloak, you can add Cloak on top of it for ridiculous mind games, which you can improve further with Shade. The good players identify situations where Cloak is being countered and immediately either switch to another way to survive/evade before Cloaking or switch to offensive fighting styles. The bad players spam Cloak without realizing it is wasted. Basically fight like a brawlerblade rather than a gankblade.

Here's a clip with me in BG with 350+ ping, medium armor, zero protective. I was focused by all almost every opponent at times.

this is ridiculous xD, what the f is your build?
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all so much for the input. Time to practice I reckon
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nsmurfer wrote: »
    susmitds wrote: »

this is ridiculous xD, what the f is your build?

'Tis a secret