The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I give up (skills just don't activate)

fred4
fred4
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
It is late afternoon in Cyro. I don't feel lag. Ping is fine. I attacked this group of 4 before. Now they are on to me. When I attack again, they focus me. Fine. No matter. A dodge roll. Then run a little and activate the shield. And activate the shield. And activate the shield? Dead.

We got FTC combat log for cases like this. Sometimes the shield is consumed so quickly, you don't even see it activating. Nay. Combat log shows shield never activated. Instead it shows a templar used Toppling Charge on me. Here's the funny thing: I never saw that. As far as I was concerned, my character kept running. I use Immovability potions as well as Escapist Poison, so this wouldn't be unusual in and of itself.

This game has problems, man, and they run deep, so deep. Normally we complain about stuff like this - some kind of CC desync, perhaps - in high population, high lag situations. This was in the middle of nowhere, between Winter's Peak and Bruma. No Negate bubble, no Incap, by the way, and I was not sprinting.
PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    8bb957b03c0815776a746121871d3f59-png.jpg

Like this? there should have been blastbones where the circles are. But instead it isnt because the skill did not fire
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    nothing works. Nothing. Maybe if everybody stop paying the scammers...
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a l2p issue! As in: learn to play some other game and don't bother yourself with this bugfest called ESO.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe me you are not alone with this. For me it happens regularly if several players are on me. Often I get full damage even in dodge windows.
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not just you - in pvp its dam annoying, that's why so many players zerg and play tank block builds because playing solo especially on a high skill cap build ... well yea, Not good.
    But like i've always said, performance will be the death of ESO.
  • baronzilch
    baronzilch
    ✭✭✭
    It's been much worse this past year. I don't understand the philosophy behind the all the proc sets. They are continually upping the complexity and, on paper, some might seem neat.

Stacking sets, multiple triggers, that's a whole lot of extra calculations the server has to process. And many sets have such common triggers, I have to wonder why is there a trigger at all? That's just using up server resources for no reason and a lot of sets with common triggers could be aggregated to static sets based on their average uptimes and current values.

(Procs can add variety and 'spice' to a game, but, they should be used in moderation. ZOS seem to mainline procs, though. It may be a serious proc addiction problem and I worry for them ;) )

Then there are the animations. Geez, does everything have to be extra glowy and sparkly and big? The necro stuff was way over the top. Is all that really necessary? Coupled with the server lag you also add unnecessary load to everyone's GPUs and gameplay-wise there is no reason for it. Animations could be a lot more efficient.

It's interesting that ZOS is now considering gutting some of the actual gameplay (like no more tearing down towers apparently, not a huge loss, but I can't believe that is a core problem) in order to alleviate the server overload created by the stuff that is supposed to be only cosmetic and auxiliary to the gameplay. That's backwards thinking and a pretty bad sign for things to come.

Personally, I would gladly give up some of the razzle dazzle and set variety for smooth performance. Am I alone in this?

• NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was happening even in BGs to me the other night as well. After the mess that necro was I could honestly be happy if we never saw another new class and they just focused on fixing the current issues.
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You're not alone in this I think.

Sometimes my character just 'twitches' when I try to cast a skill (not even near people or in primetime).

Like it tries to use it but fails for unknown reasons, then after a second or third cast it goes off.

I bought a brand new rig some months ago and updated my connection to fiber last year. It runs a bit smoother but the lag and wierd bugs still happens.

I also notice this by pvping. Some characters animationcancel their combos flawlessly and breaks CC in a instant, while I sometimes struggle to get a shield/shield of because character just fails to cast it. I also see this on people I fight sometimes when I do not have lag while they seem to be struggling to get off skills.

Oh well, it has just gotten worse over the years. Doubtful this will change :neutral:
    EU | PC
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Same with trying to break free of a stun and switching weps, been a little laggy
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    baronzilch wrote: »
    It's been much worse this past year. I don't understand the philosophy behind the all the proc sets. They are continually upping the complexity and, on paper, some might seem neat.

Stacking sets, multiple triggers, that's a whole lot of extra calculations the server has to process. And many sets have such common triggers, I have to wonder why is there a trigger at all? That's just using up server resources for no reason and a lot of sets with common triggers could be aggregated to static sets based on their average uptimes and current values.

(Procs can add variety and 'spice' to a game, but, they should be used in moderation. ZOS seem to mainline procs, though. It may be a serious proc addiction problem and I worry for them ;) )

Then there are the animations. Geez, does everything have to be extra glowy and sparkly and big? The necro stuff was way over the top. Is all that really necessary? Coupled with the server lag you also add unnecessary load to everyone's GPUs and gameplay-wise there is no reason for it. Animations could be a lot more efficient.

It's interesting that ZOS is now considering gutting some of the actual gameplay (like no more tearing down towers apparently, not a huge loss, but I can't believe that is a core problem) in order to alleviate the server overload created by the stuff that is supposed to be only cosmetic and auxiliary to the gameplay. That's backwards thinking and a pretty bad sign for things to come.

Personally, I would gladly give up some of the razzle dazzle and set variety for smooth performance. Am I alone in this?

I see what your saying however the cause of the lag is Stacking (Ball Groups) before 6pm there are minimal ball groups running, pop is capped. Lag is ok in a large battle. As soon as one of these 24 man groups show up spaming thier crap some of these guys never hit more then 2 buttons, your latency shoots through the roof.
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You just have to be ready to press the button until it works:

+_5df5a192c53c844d42f51e47995287fc.gif
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • vokage89
    vokage89
    ✭✭✭
    Yup..lag is Trash confirmed...
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried checking your Internet connection? It could be a problem with your isp

xD
  • david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8bb957b03c0815776a746121871d3f59-png.jpg

Like this? there should have been blastbones where the circles are. But instead it isnt because the skill did not fire

BB is just so bugged.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've been getting the sprint bug again. :(
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shade is a mandatory double cast rn on Xbox na. Shields are hit and miss. I had a weird window yesterday against a magsorc where literally NOTHING would cast. Hots weren’t ticking.. it was.... bad.

Game is impossible right now solo. Just doesn’t work.

Oh and here comes a dizzy -hold block- still go flying? Uhhh okay.

Oh oh one more... animation desynced LA weaves which throws off kill combos cuz the la is +500ms away.
    Edited by Insco851 on July 23, 2019 6:33PM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea. Desyncs, lagg, buggs. Those are the 3 major things you experience in pvp. Like way further down the list comes fun😟

Everyday we, my friends and I, log out at the late evening because lagg takes over...in frustration. But I guess jokes on us because why dont we just quit? 🥴

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the game is often unplayable in PvP combat.

Several of the worst things in PvP:
    1) can't switch bars in combat. My build requires me to switch bars, or I'm dead.
    2) Try to dodge roll and my character just abruptly moves forward a foot or so then stops.
    3) Ultimates won't fire. They just won't. Mash the button again and again , nothing happens. Particularly bad for my stam DK who needs the Battle roar passive.
    4) Immovable pots that don't work. Use a pot and immediately get cc'ed
    5) Break free that doesn't work. Particularly bad with fear.
    6) No cc immunity. Get cc'ed, break free, immediately cc'ed again.

Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Sureshawt
    Sureshawt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    Yes, the game is often unplayable in PvP combat.

Several of the worst things in PvP:
    1) can't switch bars in combat. My build requires me to switch bars, or I'm dead.
    2) Try to dodge roll and my character just abruptly moves forward a foot or so then stops.
    3) Ultimates won't fire. They just won't. Mash the button again and again , nothing happens. Particularly bad for my stam DK who needs the Battle roar passive.
    4) Immovable pots that don't work. Use a pot and immediately get cc'ed
    5) Break free that doesn't work. Particularly bad with fear.
    6) No cc immunity. Get cc'ed, break free, immediately cc'ed again.

Yea....I experience all of these things. It's particularly annoying because all of these mechanics, with the exception of active dodge roll, have been around in other MMOs for decades and functioned without these problems.

It really is strange and disturbing for a newer MMO to experience such horrible issues with mechanics that are basic and common to the genre. Hell they can't even get combat flagging to work properly.

• Willard
    Willard
    ✭✭✭
    It is a l2p issue! As in: learn to play some other game and don't bother yourself with this bugfest called ESO.

Just started playing FFXIV (PS4) online and I am amazed at how smooth the game runs. Why can't ESO run as it does!!
  • almightyalfo
    almightyalfo
    ✭✭✭
    Lads, we all are talking to the walls apparently. Nothing is going to be changed, not a single thing. Well, except maybe adding some more crown crates, crown store exclusive motifs etc. cause this is not a game, this is business for them, they wanna milk as much dosh as they can before this dies. I'm really a huge fan of ESO, I truly am, but so far, they're doing the total opposite of what we really want, and as a result, my loyalty and will to play and PAY for this game really narrowed down to the level where I have to complain, like you all, on the forums, knowing in advance, that not a single soul from ZOS is going to reply in this thread, except maybe a moderator, kindly reminding us about their lousy terms of service and what not.

As one guy mentioned, I really don't care about effects, glowy and shiny stuff, I really want a stable a concrete performance and stability.

My 6 month ESO+ subscription ends on 7th of September, guess who's NOT gonna pay another 60 euros for another 6 months of it. :)
    Edited by almightyalfo on July 25, 2019 9:49PM
    PC-EU
    Daggerfall Covenant only

My Characters [All CP 810+]:
    Aeriel Nightvale (Bosmer StamDK) - "Stormproof" - Crafter
    Ranzaiq Longclaw (Khajiit StamPlar) - "The Merciless" - Stamina DD (PVE/PVP)
    Freiya Winterborn (Nord StamDen) - "Paragon" - Stamina DD (PVP)
    Rayna the Desecrator (Dunmer StamNecro) - "Sunspire Saint" - Stamina DD (PVE)
    Heals-Many-Scars (Argonian MagPlar) - "Sunspire Saint" - Healer (PVE)
    Burgdul gro-Burek (Orc StamDK) - "Thane of Falkreath" - Tank (PVE)
    Erisa gro-Burek (Orc StamSorc) - "Orderly" - Stamina DD (PVP)
    Auguste Valeine (Breton MagPlar) - "Stormproof" - Magicka DD (PVE)
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coletas wrote: »
    nothing works. Nothing. Maybe if everybody stop paying the scammers...

+1
    The game is considered an rpg so apparently all that matters is that you can still play dress up with friends . ..smh
  • a1i3nz
    a1i3nz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sitting here reading this and my game crashed

Eso
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, did anyone see that dope music box in the crown store?
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No wonder everyone runs round holding block and spamming shields. The game is WAY to laggy to try and play a solo build.
    ATM in EU CP there is a DC zerg on and its ruining performance. Its not there fault if thats how they wana play, but god.. i just want at leased 50% of my inputs to work, right now its maybe 20%
    Playing a solo stam blade i'm seriously hindered by this lag.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I logged on for an hour or so a little before NA primetime, and could absolutely see how lag increased as soon as people reported that the AD faction stack had formed and was hitting Roe. Please note that I’m not intending to single out AD for this. Every alliance zergs, and I’ve seen all 3 faction stack at times. What’s obvious to me is that ZOS’ equipment just can’t handle the load that results from these giant zergs and the opposing zerg that forms to try to fight them. Until ZOS addresses this, don’t expect things to improve.
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    The good part with all that lag is that you sometimes can put oils over a ballista lol