Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Archery is not fun: it's nothing like Oblivion or Skyrim fun

foxsyd
foxsyd
✭✭✭
Anyone else feel archery (even in first person) is a disappointment?

It's not that visceral experience I found it was in Oblivion and Skyrim. I don't feel like my arrow hits the target. But instead archery is just a shimmery wall that happens in the space between my hero and the mob. This is very unsatisfying.
Join my guild!
"Thank Sanguine its Fredas"
North America Server, Ebonheart Pact, PVE/PVP, friendly & funny community. Welcomes all types of players!
Preachers of #TeamIsland - Share your adventures and screen caps on our Facebook group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/268541133324278/
  • itsmalarky
    I disagree....I love how you can see the arrow traveling, and I love the delay of pulling the string and actually releasing it....it gives an incredible pacing to combat and makes it seem much more visceral. But that's just my .02.
    Broban - Nord Skirmisher, of the Ebonheart Compact
    Murder Inc. | Wabbajack
    RIP
    Malarky | 80 Ranger | Age of Conan
    Markran| RR11 Scout | DAOC, Guinevere
  • siuolly
    siuolly
    ✭✭✭
    I found archery fun. Played in beta hence I chose it as my main DPS. However, I kinda missed the Skyrim archery skills like "eagle's Eye" (forgot exactly what if was call) where it zoom in when you pull the bow.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would love archery to be like in Mount and Blade: Warband or Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, even Skyrim, but its just not possible.
  • foxsyd
    foxsyd
    ✭✭✭
    someone mentioned to me I was getting the shimmery wall because I wasn't really aiming very well. I never saw anything like my arrow travelling... not that I recall. Anyway, I'm giving archery a second go. Practicing on small critters.
    Join my guild!
    North America Server, Ebonheart Pact, PVE/PVP, friendly & funny community. Welcomes all types of players!
    Preachers of #TeamIsland - Share your adventures and screen caps on our Facebook group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/268541133324278/
  • Kellhus
    Kellhus
    ✭✭
    So is the complaint is that you can't one shot things like in Skyrim?

It's by far and away the most common weapon I see in pvp.
  • foxsyd
    foxsyd
    ✭✭✭
    No, it was I can't see the arrow hit the mob at all . Instead I see a shimmery wall half way between myself and the mob. I'd just like to see an arrow arrive at the mob, and penetrate.
    Join my guild!
  • Zooce
    Zooce
    ✭✭✭
    Strange - I see the arrow myself.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Archery in this game functions exactly like any of the other ranged weapons. It has the same "soft lock" auto aim like a staff etc.

You are correct, it is nothing like archery in Skyrim. But i do understand the reasoning behind it.
    In an MMO, you have to have similar rules for similar weapons (ranged in this case) or otherwise different players will be at a great advantage/disadvantage.

After playing this game for 8+ months, i have gotten over my initial dislike of the bow. Now i quite enjoy using it actually ...
    :)
    Edited by SirAndy on April 11, 2014 5:32PM
  • nova.terratrb14_ESO
    I use the bow, but dislike it. A lot of the time I'll click to shoot and nothing will happen, I have to hold the button down and release, which ends up being laggy as well. I'd much prefer a Skyrim option where I can aim without this stupid autoaim nonsense.
  • cmongo_ESO
    Kellhus wrote: »
    So is the complaint is that you can't one shot things like in Skyrim?

I one shot things all the time.....snipe.....and if he is not dead...well he is not happy.

• ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having a blast with archery, just as I did with other Elder Scrolls games.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Rothguard
    Rothguard
    I love archery but...and I know i'm gonna get some heat for this. I would like the option for auto aim to be removed. I do not like hitting something that my recticle is not even on. It would make it feel more real for me.
    “Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.”
  • fantom
    fantom
    Unlock Magnum Shot (Scatter Shot morph) and Snipe and go use those, then come back and try to tell me bow isn't fun.

Snipe has a great animation and you can see the arrows very clearly.