Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Expand ability skins like the warden's bear to other classes (Necromancer examples)

berzerkdethb14_ESO1
I would pay top dollar for ability skins.

Skeletal bombers >> bloated zombies that explode in a shower of gore

boneyard >> defiled ground where skeletons reach out of the ground (this is already an asset in the game)

summon skeletal mage >> summon zombies?

bone Goliath >> lich form

I'm sure you would make a killing off of these.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In general, skill skins would be wonderful. Would add much variety to the game, because right now everybody is using almost the same skills, so with skins at least there would be some visual differences.
  • berzerkdethb14_ESO1
    another idea

summon spirit mender > > > summon banshee/lich etc

flame skull > > > rotting meat (like the meat catapults)
  • berzerkdethb14_ESO1
    In general, skill skins would be wonderful. Would add much variety to the game, because right now everybody is using almost the same skills, so with skins at least there would be some visual differences.

this 100%

would solve a lot of stagnation and make eso a lot of money. it's not difficult to just "skin" something and they already have shown the ability to do this. I'm surprised they haven't reaped this gold mine for all it's worth already.

I'm sure there are a lot of things that could be done, my passion just lies with necromancer.
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could have added so much more with this system, different colours on crystal frag for example, and other skills.

Seems like it was a one time thing with the bear.
    PC EU
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summons and minions should keep their appearance. The Warden bear noted in the title is a great example. It does nothing to change the appearance of the bear outside of changing the color. Going further than that is fundamentally bad for the game because we do need to be able to easily recognized the minions and what they do. Having a bunch of different appearances makes that more challenging.

In other words the Warden Bear skin has nothing to do with what OP is suggesting and is a poor analogy.
    Edited by idk on June 26, 2019 9:07AM
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Summons and minions should keep their appearance. The Warden bear noted in the title is a great example. It does nothing to change the appearance of the bear outside of changing the color. Going further than that is fundamentally bad for the game because we do need to be able to easily recognized the minions and what they do. Having a bunch of different appearances makes that more challenging.

In other words the Warden Bear skin has nothing to do with what OP is suggesting and is a poor analogy.

I wouldn´t care to be "challenged" to recognize different skills by their skin. Actually, it would make the game more fun for me. And, let´s be honest, it wouldn´t be such a pain to recognize a zombie instead of a skeleton, an atronach instead of a clannfear, or blach/dark aedric spear from templars, or "fiery" liquid lightning from sorcerers. The meshes would probably be the same, in the case of non pet skills, only visual effect would change. Would it matter so much that crystal fragments were green or red, instead of pruprle? Doesn´t seem a big deal to me. What if they added "cold/ice" skins to DK skills. A chain, may it be fiery or icy is still a chain.
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn´t care to be "challenged" to recognize different skills by their skin. Actually, it would make the game more fun for me. And, let´s be honest, it wouldn´t be such a pain to recognize a zombie instead of a skeleton, an atronach instead of a clannfear, or blach/dark aedric spear from templars, or "fiery" liquid lightning from sorcerers. The meshes would probably be the same, in the case of non pet skills, only visual effect would change. Would it matter so much that crystal fragments were green or red, instead of pruprle? Doesn´t seem a big deal to me. What if they added "cold/ice" skins to DK skills. A chain, may it be fiery or icy is still a chain.

For most of us experienced players this would most likely be not an issue. But keep in mind new players just starting out with the game. The game already has a pretty steep learning curve, especially for PvP, and adding skill skins would increase this learning curve even further. Just imagine having to figure out what base ability all those different skins are when you dont even know all the base abilities.

Edit: Also keep in mind the funcional implications of your suggested skins. Does a fire liquid lightning still do lightning damage? If not this would be much more than just a skin and depending on the powershift it could very well be considered pay to win. If yes this would create a load more of confusion, especially considering the poor job ESO does explaining many of its mechanics.
    Edited by Ahzek on June 26, 2019 9:33AM
    Jo'Khaljor
  • berzerkdethb14_ESO1

Ahzek wrote: »

For most of us experienced players this would most likely be not an issue. But keep in mind new players just starting out with the game. The game already has a pretty steep learning curve, especially for PvP, and adding skill skins would increase this learning curve even further. Just imagine having to figure out what base ability all those different skins are when you dont even know all the base abilities.

Edit: Also keep in mind the funcional implications of your suggested skins. Does a fire liquid lightning still do lightning damage? If not this would be much more than just a skin and depending on the powershift it could very well be considered pay to win. If yes this would create a load more of confusion, especially considering the poor job ESO does explaining many of its mechanics.

I guess in 2019 people will complain about literally anything.

mostly talking about pet skins and such. Maybe a shrunken matriarch skin? that would make everyone happy at banks. These should be 100% cosmetic

Second, @idk I think anyone who could rub two brain cells together (literally necessary to turn a computer on) could recognize that -- oh, a bloated zombie coming after me is probably bad. However, let's say that isn't the case. Disable ability skins in PvP areas? simple fix. PvE content shouldn't suffer because people, supposedly (they can), can't adapt in pvp.

You could also have an option to turn off other's ability skins, there are other games that do that. I hate it when people dismiss something that could improve a game because they can't think outside of the box.
    Edited by berzerkdethb14_ESO1 on June 26, 2019 9:38PM
  • berzerkdethb14_ESO1
    Maotti wrote: »
    They could have added so much more with this system, different colours on crystal frag for example, and other skills.

Seems like it was a one time thing with the bear.

They still could. Necro really feels like it's too . . . clean . .. for eso. More spooky Halloween skeletons and summoned creepy haunted house tombstones. This system could give people the option to be a little more grotesque if they wanted to.
  • berzerkdethb14_ESO1
    Like, I never heard anyone get confused in WoW when they started changing ability models, colors, and etc to update them. They even have glyphs to change the demons models.

zomg that imp has horns, what does it mean?
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More combat cosmetics mean more ways for pvp folk to support the game and in return have their voices listened.
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Thorvik_Tyrson
    Thorvik_Tyrson
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, but I do not agree. I would love to have a cat skin for my warden. I am a newer player to ESO, and I made a Khajit (Cat)warden, bought the tiger (cat) non combat companion, and a Lion (cat) mount. All that I am missing is the Cat skin for the combat pet. To me, this was obviously something that was missing from the formula, and I really was wondering why with the big push for Elsweyr and all of the advertising that I saw related to it, that they missed something like the warden pet being a cat skin instead of a bear. If they really wanted to keep with the lore aspect, make it the Senesh-Raht(SP?)

I have seen other wardens with all bears. So why cant I do that for my cat?
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish that some warden skills would change like the Skeletal Mage, it rotates through what looks like 4 different races. I would like Cliff racer/ Shalk/ Netch/ Bear to rotate between different animals. Or have different skins lol.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with that. Models should stay the same, buuuuuut...

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/483252/can-we-have-alternate-sorcerer-pet-skins-please

In my opinion changing colors for pets is acceptable, maybe even minor model changes (think magma scamp).

This game has a lot of abilities, with various effects and specific counterplay. It's important to be able to reliably identify them so we can quickly react to it in a adequate way. For some people, changing colors of some abilities would be really confusing, let alone entirely different pet models. But, as long as they would be variation of the same model, It would be acceptable in my opinion.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH