Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can't get rid of feeling that I'm carried

myskyrim26
myskyrim26
✭✭✭✭✭
Recently I started doing pledges and random dungeons with my PetSorc, CP 670. I go with my guildmates or random players, and these are always vet dungeons. The bosses are melting, I'm never dying and never get kicked. Yet I can't get rid of feeling that I'm... carried. How do I know I'm not? Installed Combat Metric today, but can't make a head or tail of it. What addon can I use to check how much damage I'm doing in percents? And what percent should a DD do?

UPD: I tired to kill my Skeleton. It took 3 minutes 4 seconds, and result is 16364 DPS. I want to uninstall this game. So much efforts during recent months, and all useless...
Edited by myskyrim26 on June 20, 2019 8:14AM
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I understand it, Combatmetrics is the go-to for this sort of thing. On the left side by default is the damage dealt, and to the right of that number is group damage, and to the right is your percentage.

Can't say more beyond that as I don't play DPS, solely because I too feel like I am hopeless if I try to do dungeons as one, and I don't want to stress myself out over "Am I doing enough damage?"

The percentage a DPS should do is... No idea, really. 20, 30% of total group damage?
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bind a key to combat metrics combat report in controls. After each boss open the combat report and look at the boss damage in the top left corner. It will tell you the % that you did. So as a DPS in a tank/heal 2dps group you should be doing over 40% (roughly) to be equally sharing dps with the other dps.

In a trial that number would be roughly 12.5% assuming 8dps are present
    Edited by Haquor on June 20, 2019 7:53AM
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat metrics will tell you the DMG % you deal

You can set up overall DMG and ST DMG, so you can compare if you are stronger on the trashfights between bosses, or if you are the one carrying / getting carried ad bossfights.

maybe ask a friend or guildmate ingame, so they can help you setting up CMX (Combat metrics) so it shows the necessary stats. (Live report window for DMG done)
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• EDS604
    EDS604
    ✭✭✭
    tank usually has like 2% - 3%, healer around 4% - 8%. around 45% you're about equal to the other DD
    PC EU, Guildleader of "Death By Gargoyle".
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDS604 wrote: »
    tank usually has like 2% - 3%, healer around 4% - 8%. around 45% you're about equal to the other DD

thats only correct for strictly playing groups, so healer only heals and debuffs, and tank only tanks and debuff

thats in the current meta the minority of groups (my expierience, but thats maybe cause Im a progress player and dont care about personal prefrences for dungeons etc.)

Normally we run dungeons, even DLC dungeons with 1 tank / offtank and 3 DPS. or for non DLC dungeons sometimes even 4 dps.

then ofc % numbers are way different, and its more representative to compare actualy flat DPS numbers to see how someone is doing.
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tired to kill my Skeleton. It took 3 minutes 4 seconds, and result is 16364 DPS. I want to uninstall this game. So much efforts during recent months, and all useless...
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    I tired to kill my Skeleton. It took 3 minutes 4 seconds, and result is 16364 DPS. I want to uninstall this game. So much efforts during recent months, and all useless...

Don't give up man. Just keep practicing! B)
  • Rerum
    Rerum
    ✭✭✭

Just practice your rotation. Take a look on guides which gear and skills you must use. If you already did - practice LA-weaving and rotation in general.
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @myskyrim26 Just look up some rotations on youtube and you'll be fine. I would help you out, but I don't use pet sorcerers. Sorry man.
  • jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭
    hey listen. dps is the hardest role in the game. The builds are not as clear as in other games we are used to. You see stuff on an armor set and the numbers reflect that if you use this then it should work, but after trying it well. it doesnt work as well as you thought... now.. every little but counts in eso. using skills that raise your max stats by being slotted, utilizing skill trees like mages and fighters guild for prophecy and savagery by slotting. utilizing potions and poison for buffs. wearing a piece of heavy and medium with your light set for undaunted passive buff COULD help your build. balancing max stats with proc damage and sustain is a concern. and upgrading your equipment to gold and using a nirnhoned trait on your weapon is a must to achieve high end dps. remeber that these mobs have resistances. you need penetration... and the simple fact that alot of meta build are simply broken gear sets that provide damage that they really shouldnt be.. pulling 17k on a target dummy, its aint to shabby man... yea dudes will boast about pulling 56k dps on the dummy, but you know what... in cyro ill kill the same dude with a toon that i only pull 10k damage on the target dummy... so dont be so down on yourself. your not doing it wrong, you just need to play with it more. tweak it more. and not let the "i am so great" guys get you down.

basically practice makes perfect. if your pulling 17k on the dummy your in pretty good shape. new players are lucky to pull 10k on a dummy. and those CP points you dont have.. they are actually a big deal, so finish leveling up.

GLHF
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If no one is complaining, what's the issue.
    Usually the one who complain about dps is the big mouth fake tank who is pulling lowest amount of dps and dying once ever 5 sec.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for advices and good words. Yet I don't think I ever can be better than I am now. Skills and passives scrutinized, rotation practiced, gear made golden, CPs adjusted, video tutorials wathced over and over again... No, guys, I'm hopeless. I regret I tried that damn skeleton. Will run the last dungeon for a missing transmute crystal, and that's it.
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How about me? I've been killing skeletons for months, using different skills, attacking and quickly using a skill when I hear the distinct "clank" that the skeleton makes, even switched to a two-hander (As it turns out oddly enough, I do more DPS with a two-hander than I do with dual-wielding), and all I can muster at most is 17 to 18k. My damage only improved by 2k from 15k when I went Stamina from Magicka on my Dragon Knight, and roughly 1k after switching to a two-hander.

What does that say about me, who has been hitting a skeleton for months and has noticed no significant improvement?

And no, I refuse to give websites the time of day, considering they're so horribly designed, that I feel actual physical pain trying to read through them.
    Edited by Kalgert on June 20, 2019 8:46AM
  • Mygalomorpea
    Mygalomorpea
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get demoralized by it. Get one of the people that you think is carrying you to help you improve your dps, since they don't worry about how much you do they will probably be up to help you improve your dps. Now before you say "will take ages" or something, a few months back I coached a guildee for under 1 hour, their dps increased from 8k to 27k in under 1 week.

And for the other end of the spectrum. I also know of 1 person who has been playing since Beta and is still stuck at somewhere under 10k. So at 17k you are doing better than some who have been playing for years.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Download Combat Metrics if you're on PC: https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1360-CombatMetrics.html

It shows you what percentage of team DPS you are contributing. If you are a DD and you are dealing less than 40% of team DPS, you are being carried.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 20, 2019 8:50AM
  • Unij
    Unij
    ✭✭✭
    Dps tests on a dummy don't mean anything. Because you can build for singletarget damage or aoe and dot. You should have both btw, for bossfights vs. trash for example. If you deal more than 10k you are already above average dds.

Just to compare: My Sorc Tank deals most of the time 20% (10% for a tank should be normal) of group damage with 10k dps max, I focus on crit+aoe to heal myself. My Templar Healer 50% and he has 2 aoe, 2 dot, 1 direct damage skill, and a lot of heavy attacks. Most of the damageskills are there to buff group: shards, wall of elements with shockstaff to grant off-balance, I use the ranged interrupt from destrostaff skills, to help avoid damage. Only rarely when the dds are actually doing a good job I'm at 25% group damage.
    Main char is a Strong Nord Man, Thief, Vampire, Healer, Mastercrafter. PC-EU since 2016.
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalgert wrote: »

How about me? I've been killing skeletons for months, using different skills, attacking and quickly using a skill when I hear the distinct "clank" that the skeleton makes, even switched to a two-hander (As it turns out oddly enough, I do more DPS with a two-hander than I do with dual-wielding), and all I can muster at most is 17 to 18k. My damage only improved by 2k from 15k when I went Stamina from Magicka on my Dragon Knight, and roughly 1k after switching to a two-hander.

What does that say about me, who has been hitting a skeleton for months and has noticed no significant improvement?

And no, I refuse to give websites the time of day, considering they're so horribly designed, that I feel actual physical pain trying to read through them.

well the refusal to check out builds and parses on websites says something about you.
    namel< that you are to , lets say lazy, to check out other peoples approach tho wthis problem, and the ignoreance to accept help by viewing vids etc.

you accept help, in your case the tips to keep pratiticing, if they are brought up to you, but you turn down suggestion like checking homepages cause then you would have to read throuh a text and maybe watch a video to understand the reasons behind certain skills or sets used.

if its really unpleasent to read a guide on certain homepages, then you can still mark the whole text and copy it over into a wrod, and print out, this is not an excuse to ignore the guides online!

that the fundamental flaw all arround the globe these days, to lazy to do stuff yourself, but other should be the ones investing time and teaching you how something works. this calculations will never add up over the long run, since ppl will get bored giving you tips if you donw follow them.

sorry if it offends you but thats how I interpret your post.
    Edited by SaintSubwayy on June 20, 2019 9:03AM
    PC EU

• Svenja
    Svenja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, 16.3k dps might not be very good because endgame players often pull values of 50k+ there, but seriously, when I queue for a random dungeon on my healer, I would be more than delighted to have you in my group with your 16.3k dps because that's way more than the average DD in the group finder does and it's more than enough to run a dungeon with! :)

Don't give up on dungeons etc, if you want to improve your dps and think you have a good rotation and perfect gear already, you could ask a guildmate who plays petsorc to watch you on the Skeleton, maybe he can coach you a bit and point out what you still can improve. 16k is a good start, really!
    PC | EU

Svea Rochaud | Templar Healer | AD
    Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror - Immortal Redeemer - Tick-Tock-Tormentor - Gryphon Heart - Spirit Slayer
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is not WoW, your gold gear matters very little if your rotation is poor. And with 16k DPS there is some major issue with your rotation.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat metrics also has an running dps meter who show damage during an fight for your and group.
    That is the easiest to use. You have an logger who is most relevant to look at rotation, did you trigger LA and did they all hit?
    was up-time for DOTS and buffs high and so on.

And damage in dungeons is different, some fights are just stack and burn, here you do higher damage as tank debuff target and healer buff group. Some other fights you mostly do mechanics and boss moves around dropping group dps way down.

Taking up healing or tanking is also an option :)

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old are you and what is your average ping?
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trancestor wrote: »

I'm 35 - why is it important? Playing since 2016. And I don't know my ping. My Frapps show 60-70 FPS everywhere if it tells about something.

@zaria
    Tried tanking - I was a good tank, but this is boring. tried healing, and it is way too boring for me...

• MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I often do 10-15k dps in dungeons as a magplar healer and that's just using shards, purifying light, wall of elements, and weaving light attacks. So yeah, you've been getting carried. Instead of feeling down, look up a guide on youtube or some other site. Considering the low dps, you will see immediate improvement after implementing a proper rotation. Practice will take care of the rest.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • duddjoyri
    duddjoyri

I'm 35 - why is it important? Playing since 2016. And I don't know my ping. My Frapps show 60-70 FPS everywhere if it tells about something.

@zaria
    Tried tanking - I was a good tank, but this is boring. tried healing, and it is way too boring for me...

If you found tanking boring in ESO then you were doing it wrong. Maybe you were thinking of WoW?!
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jdamuso wrote: »
    hey listen. dps is the hardest role in the game.

Lets agree to disagree.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    duddjoyri wrote: »

@zaria

If you found tanking boring in ESO then you were doing it wrong. Maybe you were thinking of WoW?!

I never played WoW, neither I want to. I hate MMO games. But I have to play ESO because I'm a lore fan.

• TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I could never get more than 21k with my two dd´s. It´s also true that I didn´t practice a lot (this is a game after all, not my second job). So now I only tank and heal, and have a lot of fun that way.
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭

well the refusal to check out builds and parses on websites says something about you.
    namel< that you are to , lets say lazy, to check out other peoples approach tho wthis problem, and the ignoreance to accept help by viewing vids etc.

you accept help, in your case the tips to keep pratiticing, if they are brought up to you, but you turn down suggestion like checking homepages cause then you would have to read throuh a text and maybe watch a video to understand the reasons behind certain skills or sets used.

if its really unpleasent to read a guide on certain homepages, then you can still mark the whole text and copy it over into a wrod, and print out, this is not an excuse to ignore the guides online!

that the fundamental flaw all arround the globe these days, to lazy to do stuff yourself, but other should be the ones investing time and teaching you how something works. this calculations will never add up over the long run, since ppl will get bored giving you tips if you donw follow them.

Here's how my experience was when I checked Alcast:
    "Okay I wanna be a Stamina DK, here is one... Not a big fan of the black background on white text, but whatever. This is guide feels too wordy, with information scattered all around the place, not interested."
    Then Xynode:
    "Ugh, who's idea was it to leave the Elsweyr logo as a background? Some things I can't even properly read. This is the worst website I've seen yet for game guides!"
    Maybe it was me unlucky or something, but I tried watching a video, the individual commentating sounded about as enthusiastic as a loaf of soggy bread, and talked non-stop about things, when I was thinking "Get to the point already!".

Ultimately, I feel like guides are useless, as you can do whatever they tell you, but it doesn't guarantee results if you don't get the playstyle or if you hate the playstyle. That and I just don't trust/respect the person writing the guide. Got burned too many times before.

Also I find it brave that you consider me "Lazy", as it would imply that I am doing absolutely nothing with myself and just sit there staring at the sky, and then going to the forums to yell "My DPS is not improving!". And when I say "Do nothing" I mean literally not do anything. Hitting a skeleton, using different skills and weapons and farming Fighters Guild shows that I am actually doing SOMETHING.

Or I can just play tank. It may not be as satisfying as a DPS, but it's something I can play and am excelling at, so that is a positive (InB-Four some keyboard warrior comes screeching "This is an admission of defeat! You will never achieve anything in life!" Or some other B.S)
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's how my experience was when I checked Alcast:
    "Okay I wanna be a Stamina DK, here is one... Not a big fan of the black background on white text, but whatever. This is guide feels too wordy, with information scattered all around the place, not interested."
    Then Xynode:
    "Ugh, who's idea was it to leave the Elsweyr logo as a background? Some things I can't even properly read. This is the worst website I've seen yet for game guides!"
    Maybe it was me unlucky or something, but I tried watching a video, the individual commentating sounded about as enthusiastic as a loaf of soggy bread, and talked non-stop about things, when I was thinking "Get to the point already!".

Ultimately, I feel like guides are useless, as you can do whatever they tell you, but it doesn't guarantee results if you don't get the playstyle or if you hate the playstyle. That and I just don't trust/respect the person writing the guide. Got burned too many times before.

Also I find it brave that you consider me "Lazy", as it would imply that I am doing absolutely nothing with myself and just sit there staring at the sky, and then going to the forums to yell "My DPS is not improving!". And when I say "Do nothing" I mean literally not do anything. Hitting a skeleton, using different skills and weapons and farming Fighters Guild shows that I am actually doing SOMETHING.

Or I can just play tank. It may not be as satisfying as a DPS, but it's something I can play and am excelling at, so that is a positive (InB-Four some keyboard warrior comes screeching "This is an admission of defeat! You will never achieve anything in life!" Or some other B.S)

well not defending alcast here, im also not a big fan of the black background style
    it may be a bit wordy, but if you read the titels "changes to previous versions" then you already know that you can skip this part, since it odesnt matter as a player new to a class.

If I chekc a guide on his HP I only care about gear, and skills used + CP allocation, maybe also race, mundus and food
    I skip all the text and rotation stuff since I make my thoughts about those myself, and tbh somethimes if you adjust some builds to your playstlye youll deal quite a bit more DMG since it fits your playstyle better.

If you're on PC EU I can give you some tips on stamDK, if you'd like some tips about rotation improvement on it.
    Edited by SaintSubwayy on June 20, 2019 9:45AM
    PC EU

• Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget that you still have lots of CP before hitting the cap, those extra CP can make a difference. I struggle to get good numbers on the dummy too, but in dungeons things just melt. I'd say if things are dying in dungeons fairly quickly and no-one is complaining, then just enjoy playing. You can check things like CP allotment, gear, mundus stone, food and potions to see where you can make improvements and of course rotation. It tends to be min/maxers that get those massive numbers and they spend loads of time tweaking things and bashing on dummies.

When I'm levelling a new toon, I like to try and solo the normal dungeons (not dlc). If I manage them or at least get pretty far, then I know I wont need to be carried. Maelstrom Arena is a good place to practice too, helps you gain situational awareness and sharpens reaction times.

I do understand your frustration though, my numbers are all over the place, but I hit things and they die so I'm happy with that.
    PC EU & NA