Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wood Elf/ Bosmer losing stealth passive, An open letter.

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MartiniDaniels - interesting. I totally spaced that there are no male bosmer guild traders. On the roads in Grahtwood, Greenshade etc. the wandering traders are as often male as female.

Very intriguing.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You read but you don’t comprehend. That’s what happens when you’re hellbent on misunderstanding someone just to get your point across.

What is there to comprehend?

Every time I ask you a perfectly valid question you come back with put-downs and insults. I suppose you are justifying your name or something.

What points have you made?

That systems change from game to game. I've touched on this and BlueRaven spent much more time on it. Yes, specifics change, but the overall point of each race is maintained. Altmer are mages, always; Orcs are warriors, always; Bosmer are thieves, always; and so on. Those are things that haven't changed. Until now. Now Bosmer are not thieves. Unless I'm failing to comprehend some bonus to thievery that they have. Is there one? You don't answer. You do say that you never said Bosmer weren't thieves before. But are they thieves now, in any way better than, say, Orcs. Orcs are the least thief like race in all of the previous games with not a single bonus to it and several disadvantageous abilities. And, the answer is, no. Bosmer now are no better at thievery than Orcs, Bretons, or Nords at this point.

The devs can do whatever they want with the lore. Which I addressed when I asked if you were ok with Orcs being retconned into pretty little pixies. No answer to that.

We are leaving out lore. What lore are we leaving out? The Meh Ayleidion? Rite of Theft? What? That Bosmer are nimble and quick? Sure, Bosmer are nimble and quick. That Bosmer are the best hunters? I know of one source that suggests that may be the case, but the problem for you is that it also suggests that this is due to the Bosmers' skill at stealth. So what lore are we leaving out? What lore says that Bosmer are good at spotting hidden people? I can think of a couple of sources about that, but (sadly) it's the Orcs who are good at that. I can also think of at least one example where Bosmer were NOT good at spotting people in hiding (I think it was Mixed Unit Tactics, off the top of my head).

That we traded stealth for speed. Answered by Ratzkifal: we gave up bonus damage to attacking from stealth to get the roll-dodge shenanigans. We lost stealth to get a garbage detection 'bonus' that is actually a detriment if you are trying to hide in Cyrodiil and which is completely 100% without the slightest possibility of use outside of Cyrodiil. Or Battlegrounds if you are silly enough to try hiding there. No reply to him. As for the roll-dodge thing itself: I don't have any issue with it from a lore perspective. The roll and be speedy thing is ok, Bosmer are nimble and quick, that reflects this, fine. The penetration bit, well, it's goofy. Why is penetration better only after a roll dodge? That makes no sense. If the change from what we had before had been from 3m bonus to hiding and +10% additional damage from stealth => 3m bonus to hiding and +10% movement speed for however long after a roll dodge, I'd be happy enough. I may grouse about it being a bit weak, but I certainly couldn't raise any lore-based objection. How could I? Bosmer are nimble and quick after all. But the replacement of the hiding bonus with a detection bonus has absolutely not the slightest justification out of the lore. It is not justified from the prior games. It is not justified by the established role of the race. It is a complete negation of all of those things. And why? Well, they can do whatever they want. But that's not an answer. It's a dismissal.

Edited by Cundu_Ertur on June 19, 2019 4:10AM
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Points were made, seems my job here is done.

However, the issue is the fact it’s balanced with pve and pvp in mind , making things either pointless, niche or valuable. The real culprit is balance.

What? Hunters eye has no PvE value. You didn't really convince anyone. And you did not provide context for any of your assertions.

But sure, whatever.

making things either pointless, niche or valuable

Well.... for pve, it's pointless. For pvp it's niche. So where do you think it's valuable?

Another example of reading but not comprehending. It doesn’t have to be all three and at the same time it can be all 3 because it depends on how valuable, niche or pointless it is to someone, which clearly varies.

There’s people joking about the uselessness of pen and speed . Yet wood elf is bis for medium armor builds in pvp. I assume most people in this thread are pve players anyways.

Eh, I quoted your post verbatim. I gave my input on two of the three options. You're the one who posited three "points". So, I ask again, where do you think it's "valuable"?

You're just here to try to get this thread closed. Vide your user ID....

No you’re just not comprehending. It’s valuable to whoever think it’s valuable, it’s pointless to whoever think it’s pointless and it’s niche to whoever think it’s niche. Therefore it can be all 3. Why is that hard to understand? The speed passive for example can be pointless to you, valuable to me and niche to someone else.

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

However, the issue is the fact it’s balanced with pve and pvp in mind , making things either pointless, niche or valuable. The real culprit is balance.

What? Hunters eye has no PvE value. You didn't really convince anyone. And you did not provide context for any of your assertions.

But sure, whatever.

Well.... for pve, it's pointless. For pvp it's niche. So where do you think it's valuable?

Another example of reading but not comprehending. It doesn’t have to be all three and at the same time it can be all 3 because it depends on how valuable, niche or pointless it is to someone, which clearly varies.

There’s people joking about the uselessness of pen and speed . Yet wood elf is bis for medium armor builds in pvp. I assume most people in this thread are pve players anyways.

Eh, I quoted your post verbatim. I gave my input on two of the three options. You're the one who posited three "points". So, I ask again, where do you think it's "valuable"?

No you’re just not comprehending. It’s valuable to whoever think it’s valuable, it’s pointless to whoever think it’s pointless and it’s niche to whoever think it’s niche. Therefore it can be all 3. Why is that hard to understand? The speed passive for example can be pointless to you, valuable to me and niche to someone else.

I'm comprehending just fine. You're here to get this thread closed. You're witch hunting. There is no value at all to the "new" Bosmer passive. In pve it's totally useless (even to me who has never messed with a Bosmer who uses stealth - I don't sneak or thieve or assassinate); in pvp it's not useful enough that people who have used the race in the past are still using it. NO ONE THINKS THIS RACIAL IS VALUABLE.

Jeez. Speaking of not comprehending. How about you go read the whole of the thread?

Oh right. You don't have the time.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MartiniDaniels - interesting. I totally spaced that there are no male bosmer guild traders. On the roads in Grahtwood, Greenshade etc. the wandering traders are as often male as female.

Very intriguing.

Yes, and that is also point I forget to mention - though other 6 races (with exception of nords, imperials and bretons) are wide spread in guild traders population, they are represented by both genders. I guess person responsible for traders has a soft spot for cockney gals or simply finds them funny and irreplaceable :D
    While doing this quick overview, I may say that while some voices are repeating, overall personalities of those 23 traders are quite unique and that is amazing work from ZOS.
    And I really love that voicing, maybe not the most beautiful, but so funny, especially for my DK second main, while she spams/pre-casts igneous shields in trials that is very distinctive sounds.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.... pvp has no value at all to me. So in this last post you state the "value" to be in the speed and pen for pvp. Why didn't you just state that to begin with when I asked you?

It's not at all valuable to me. I haven't ever said it's not valuable to others. In fact, I asked you outright what the "valuable" was. Well, you finally decided to post it. Nope, not valuable to me at all. But for those who pvp I'm sure it is of value. Thought there are various posts herein where even those who pvp are very unimpressed with the passive.

Regardless, you're just here to get this thread locked, so whatever.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.... pvp has no value at all to me. So in this last post you state the "value" to be in the speed and pen for pvp. Why didn't you just state that to begin with when I asked you?

It's not at all valuable to me. I haven't ever said it's not valuable to others. In fact, I asked you outright what the "valuable" was. Well, you finally decided to post it. Nope, not valuable to me at all. But for those who pvp I'm sure it is of value. Thought there are various posts herein where even those who pvp are very unimpressed with the passive.

Regardless, you're just here to get this thread locked, so whatever.

“There’s people joking about the uselessness of pen and speed . Yet wood elf is bis for medium armor builds in pvp. I assume most people in this thread are pve players anyways.”

Okay

Overall, majority likes roll-dodge speed which is useful everywhere, understands that penetration is very useful in PVP (I even described Sniker's video in detail with timeline of roll-dodges which led to 90%+ hunter's eye uptime.
    We are all against stealth detection. Practice showed that this is barely useful (for me it was working notably with radiant magelight and I was able to dispel nightblades from big distance in PVP without pots.. but slotting magelight for stamina class is too much a sacrifice imo) and that sometimes it is even harmful. I.e. as a bosmer your stealth eye maybe closed because opponent is too far to have any chance to detect you, but due to your increased range enemy will know of your presence earlier because his stealth eye will show risk of detection. Though such scenario is extremely rare, still your passive in that case is harmful, because your enemy gets initiative.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But sure, whatever.

I'm comprehending just fine. You're here to get this thread closed. You're witch hunting. There is no value at all to the "new" Bosmer passive. In pve it's totally useless (even to me who has never messed with a Bosmer who uses stealth - I don't sneak or thieve or assassinate); in pvp it's not useful enough that people who have used the race in the past are still using it. NO ONE THINKS THIS RACIAL IS VALUABLE.

Jeez. Speaking of not comprehending. How about you go read the whole of the thread?

You’re not comprehending anything if I’m saying you’re not comprehending. It’s my point you’re trying to understand, remember?. There’s value in the speed and pen passive in pvp. As far as the other portion it’s not valuable to me but I’m sure it’s valuable to someone else. You and others just like to speak for the entire community, as if people have to share the same opinions as you. It’s not valuable because you say so ? Got it lol

If one person is having issues with comprehension, it may be them.
    If it's a whole thread of people, then maybe the issue is that you are not communicating effectively.

I personally did not understand that "However, the issue is the fact it’s balanced with pve and pvp in mind , making things either pointless, niche or valuable. The real culprit is balance," was supposed to mean "It’s valuable to whoever think it’s valuable, it’s pointless to whoever think it’s pointless and it’s niche to whoever think it’s niche. Therefore it can be all 3. Why is that hard to understand? The speed passive for example can be pointless to you, valuable to me and niche to someone else."

The phrase "However, the issue is the fact it’s balanced with pve and pvp in mind...," can be read two ways. One: that the current set of all passives IS in perfect balance now for all modes of gameplay, or Two: that the devs made the effort to balance things while considering all modes of gameplay. Neither of these readings have anything to do with subjective values. That's a clarification you added later.

"It’s my point you’re trying to understand, remember?" It's also your point that you are trying to get across.

"As far as the other portion it’s not valuable to me but I’m sure it’s valuable to someone else." Well, hold on now. This is the whole point of the whole thread, and here you confess that you really don't care about the detection bit. As for anyone finding that bit to be useful, I seriously doubt it. We've had people go in Cyrodiil (or PVP at least, since it is completely useless outside of PVP by design) and test it. During the recent event in Cyrodiil, when PVE'ers were flooding into Cyrodiil and crying they were getting PVP'ed in PVP-land one of our regulars, who has the skill, saw an enemy hide in a delve waiting for the boss to spawn. So he tried to use his detection bonus to find that person. It failed. He had to use a magelight or camouflaged hunter or potion or something to actually detect the hidden enemy. I think Ratzkifal also did some testing (it may have been Wedgebert, not sure now) that showed that it was actually a detriment to hiding from a hidden enemy. The enemy would see a half-open detection eye before the Bosmer player would.

Does this mean there is not one person in the whole world who would find that worthwhile? Well, no. People are stupid. No matter how stupid, useless, dangerous, or disgusting something may be there is some idiot, somewhere, who not only likes it but pays extra for it.

Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People have said the same thing about stealth detection being a medium armor passive, yet people still defend it and want the passive.
    Ok, you got me. I am reading and failing to comprehend this.
    Are you saying stealth detection is a medium armor passive? Because I look in the medium armor skill tree and don't see it. The only detection passive is the Bosmer one, and it is independent of armor weight. Are you talking about the set bonuses for the Way of Air and Sentry sets? Do people even buy those? I tried selling some Way of Air and got it back in 30 days unsold.
    I can 100 percent guarantee if zos changes stealth detect from bosmer there will be people that complain.
    This is true. Somewhere there's an idiot who would pay extra for that. That's true of everything. So?
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But sure, whatever.

You’re not comprehending anything if I’m saying you’re not comprehending. It’s my point you’re trying to understand, remember?. There’s value in the speed and pen passive in pvp. As far as the other portion it’s not valuable to me but I’m sure it’s valuable to someone else. You and others just like to speak for the entire community, as if people have to share the same opinions as you. It’s not valuable because you say so ? Got it lol

If it's a whole thread of people, then maybe the issue is that you are not communicating effectively.

I personally did not understand that "However, the issue is the fact it’s balanced with pve and pvp in mind , making things either pointless, niche or valuable. The real culprit is balance," was supposed to mean "It’s valuable to whoever think it’s valuable, it’s pointless to whoever think it’s pointless and it’s niche to whoever think it’s niche. Therefore it can be all 3. Why is that hard to understand? The speed passive for example can be pointless to you, valuable to me and niche to someone else."

The phrase "However, the issue is the fact it’s balanced with pve and pvp in mind...," can be read two ways. One: that the current set of all passives IS in perfect balance now for all modes of gameplay, or Two: that the devs made the effort to balance things while considering all modes of gameplay. Neither of these readings have anything to do with subjective values. That's a clarification you added later.

"It’s my point you’re trying to understand, remember?" It's also your point that you are trying to get across.

"As far as the other portion it’s not valuable to me but I’m sure it’s valuable to someone else." Well, hold on now. This is the whole point of the whole thread, and here you confess that you really don't care about the detection bit. As for anyone finding that bit to be useful, I seriously doubt it. We've had people go in Cyrodiil (or PVP at least, since it is completely useless outside of PVP by design) and test it. During the recent event in Cyrodiil, when PVE'ers were flooding into Cyrodiil and crying they were getting PVP'ed in PVP-land one of our regulars, who has the skill, saw an enemy hide in a delve waiting for the boss to spawn. So he tried to use his detection bonus to find that person. It failed. He had to use a magelight or camouflaged hunter or potion or something to actually detect the hidden enemy. I think Ratzkifal also did some testing (it may have been Wedgebert, not sure now) that showed that it was actually a detriment to hiding from a hidden enemy. The enemy would see a half-open detection eye before the Bosmer player would.

Does this mean there is not one person in the whole world who would find that worthwhile? Well, no. People are stupid. No matter how stupid, useless, dangerous, or disgusting something may be there is some idiot, somewhere, who not only likes it but pays extra for it.

Argumentum ad populum?

But sure , I could’ve communicated more effectively, I chose to speak plainly though, which still doesn’t work well with over thinkers.

Anyways it’s probably more people than you think that want the passive. They’re just not talking about it, yet. Me and other people didn’t think there was enough people who cared about faction lock but look how that turned out.

Talking about this - Rank II - Medium Armor Rank 34

Reduces the cost of sneaking by 7% per piece of Medium Armor equipped.

Also reduces the size of your detection area by 5% per piece of Medium Armor equipped.

• Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But sure, whatever.

Argumentum ad populum?

But sure , I could’ve communicated more effectively, I chose to speak plainly though, which still doesn’t work well with over thinkers.

Anyways it’s probably more people than you think that want the passive. They’re just not talking about it, yet. Me and other people didn’t think there was enough people who cared about faction lock but look how that turned out.

Also reduces the size of your detection area by 5% per piece of Medium Armor equipped.

Ok, this is where ZOS is crap at communicating. That's a hiding bonus, not a detection bonus. I hate, hate, hate the way ZOS describes the hide bonus as 'stealth detection radius decrease' and the detection bonus as 'stealth detection radius increase.' It's ambiguous as hell.

I understand why people would want something more armor based in an armor skill line. It's also kind of nonsensical that you hide better in leather armor than clothing. It should be in the legerdemain line, but (as BlueRaven has pointed out) the only way to level that skill reliably is to have it already maxed out. If the skill were to be replaced by something sensible in another skill line, I'd be fine with it, but removing it without a replacement is a non-starter. I think it should be a legerdemain skill, +5% hiding bonus per medium armor, +7% per light armor; and the legerdemain skill line gets experience from current sources (picking locks, fencing, picking pockets) and from some kind of sneaking around thing, maybe from successfully attacking a hostile critter or something like that. The Skyrim method of levelling sneak by crouching behind a guard and going away for a few hours shouldn't be an option.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gee, you don't think Bosmer having the highest total racial stamina buffs might have something to do with it?

jSss5Y9.png
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Gee, you don't think Bosmer having the highest total racial stamina buffs might have something to do with it?

jSss5Y9.png

You don’t pvp, because non medium armor players go orc and Redguard in pvp and have been for the longest.

• Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    TAMRIEL OUTLAW REFUGE CENSUS: Alliances and Chapters without Elsweyr
    I went through the base game zones and a selection of DLC/chapter zones and counted the number of members of each race to develop a criminal statistic. If a character there was not a criminal nor affiliated with them, they wouldn't be counted. Otherwise when in doubt, I would count them.
    To avoid overrepresentation these numbers have been taken by not counting Bretons in Breton territory, not counting Redguards in Redguard territory etc. For the purpose of the census, I decided that Bangkorai is Breton territory, because the outlaw refuge is in Evermore, which is still Breton territory.

Overall:
    Altmer 17
    Argonian 19
    Breton 13
    Bosmer: 12
    Dunmer 12
    Imperial 2
    Khajiit 20+1
    Nord: 17
    Orc: 20
    Redguard 24+1

I certainly did not expect so few Imperials even though I expected fewer of them than other races, but I was also having difficulties telling tanned Bretons, Imperials and Redguards apart. Usually the name would give it away, but it's possible some Bretons/Redguards were actually Imperials. Still, seeing so many more Altmer than Dunmer and Bosmer was a surprise to be sure. Orcs, not as much. Although they aren't very sneaky, they are known to be bandits.
    Here is the data broken down into alliances.
    Outlaw Refuge census part 1 DC territory + Wrothgar:
    Altmer: 4
    Argonian: 5
    Breton: 4 + 1 person pretending not to be an undercover guard
    Bosmer: 5
    Dunmer: 2
    Imperial 2
    Khajiit: 6 + 1 woman attracted to criminals and villains
    Nord: 4
    Orcs: 11
    Redguard: 11 + 1 guy who hangs out in the outlaw refuge but seems to hate criminals

It comes as no surprise that DC races are overrepresented in DC zones, although I had expected that not to be the case with the way I am counting. That's why I decided to note the results of each alliance separately as well.

Part 2 AD + Summerset (Outlaw Refuge and Mother's Den)
    Altmer: 10
    Argonian: 4
    Breton: 4
    Bosmer: 5 + one guy studying criminals with a very controversial theory
    Dunmer:4
    Imperial: 0
    Khajiit: 10
    Nord: 5
    Orc: 5
    Redguard: 7

I am very surprised that even when not counting the Bosmer in their home zones, there weren't a whole lot of them around. I am also surprised how many Redguards are criminals. So far they seem disproportionally criminal.
    On the character I did the census on, I hadn't completed the quest of Velyn Harbor. It's possible that a lot of NPCs are missing there, because it felt rather empty.

Part 3 EP + Vvardenfell

Altmer: 3
    Argonian: 10
    Breton: 5
    Bosmer: 2
    Dunmer: 6
    Imperial: 0
    Khajiit: 4
    Nord: 8
    Orc: 4
    Redguard: 6

As I suspected, Redguards are still quite criminal even outside their home territories. Curious.

As it turns out, overrepresentation still happens, but it is tied to alliances more than each race individually.
    The census probably needs to be redone, but for now what can be done with the data is take out the races belonging to the alliance and check out those results.

Corrected:
    Altmer 7
    Argonian 9
    Breton 9
    Bosmer 7
    Dunmer 6
    Imperial 2
    Khajiit: 10
    Nord 9
    Orc 9
    Redguard 13

As we can see, Redguards are still strangely many, but this time Bosmer, while still behind, are closer to the rest than before. This data suggests that ZOS is probably trying to present a more well-mixed selection of characters to the player than sticking to stereotypes. Having almost or more than twice as many Redguards be criminals than 4 of the 9 other races have is a bit weird though, considering they aren't known to be faced with predjudice or notoriously criminal. Who would have thought?

collective-black-confusion-munchkins-24849162.png

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But sure, whatever.

Argumentum ad populum?

Ok, this is where ZOS is crap at communicating. That's a hiding bonus, not a detection bonus. I hate, hate, hate the way ZOS describes the hide bonus as 'stealth detection radius decrease' and the detection bonus as 'stealth detection radius increase.' It's ambiguous as hell.

I understand why people would want something more armor based in an armor skill line. It's also kind of nonsensical that you hide better in leather armor than clothing. It should be in the legerdemain line, but (as BlueRaven has pointed out) the only way to level that skill reliably is to have it already maxed out. If the skill were to be replaced by something sensible in another skill line, I'd be fine with it, but removing it without a replacement is a non-starter. I think it should be a legerdemain skill, +5% hiding bonus per medium armor, +7% per light armor; and the legerdemain skill line gets experience from current sources (picking locks, fencing, picking pockets) and from some kind of sneaking around thing, maybe from successfully attacking a hostile critter or something like that. The Skyrim method of levelling sneak by crouching behind a guard and going away for a few hours shouldn't be an option.

Oh I thought it was a detect passive, never really used it to know. Their wording.

I think the stealth buffs shouldn’t be a part of the race passives. Unless it’s stealth damage, they’re not important enough from a large scale point of view. However, I already thought that they belonged in the thief skillline. Race passives should favor more common gameplay, whether it’s in pve or pvp. If this was a single player game that would be a different story. I’m sure that’s the idea the devs had with the race balance, more flexible passives.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are annoyed by something the series has been doing.

Point me to any other game in the series where the racial passives have changed entirely during the existence of ONE game, and I'll shut up.

Flight magic existed in Morrowind but was outlawed in Oblivion, so no one was flying anymore, not even the worst outlaws. That was stupid, by the way, outlaws would have continued to fly... But hey, whatever. At least it happened between games. You may or may not approe as you start a new game, but it doesn't take anything away from an existing character.

You might want to answer that, as solo games, that wouldn't have happened. One word then : patch. Techically, it was possible. They added bloody horse armors in Oblivion with a patch, right ? And tried to make them a paid feature, too. It never happened not because of technical possibility, but because no one in their right mind would break existing characters so much.

Argonians lost their poison resistance ? Yeah, it's absurd, lore wise. How does that break their gameplay ? It doesn't. It's a moderate hindrance.

Altmers now regen their lower ressource pool, generally stamina, with something called spell recharge ? Not lore friendly, slightly annoying, but it doesn't fundamentally change their identity. Heck, the change to Argonians is more fundamental than that, identity-wise.

Now, let'st ake characters that may be as old as having been created over 4 years ago, most likely BECAUSE of the racial bonuses the players wanted to make use of, because racials are something you can rely on. MMORPGs are changing by nature, but never in the history of TES has a race's passive bonus changed in the course of a single game. And, 'lo and behold, your precious thieve is now a guard. Yay.

Yes, TES games changed bonuses from game to game. Generally, though, they kept some sort of racial guideline. Never had those changes happened during the course of a game, and never from "hey, you're an awesome thief" to "hey, you're a rather average guard".

All pseudo excuses that it "fits the lore" are bulldung. "but they are good hunters, so they can see stuff !" is basically what the dev team said. The hunters is silent, discreet, sneaky, lest the prey gets away. "they will be awesome at detecting stuff, even though nothing hides in PvE", the dev team said. Well, then, that makes the Bosmers the only race to have a racial passive that is entirely useless in PvE. Well, if I'm fair, I should count the Breton's no-skill-point passive that lets them earn a tiny alliance point bonus.

The only reason Bosmers have lost their stealth passive is that the combat lead is the former PvP lead, and he's playing favourite. Whiners complain about snipe builds ? Nerf Bosmers. Let's balance stuff for PvP, because obviousy a ONE zone matters more than 95% of the game. But hey, don't worry, it's ok, it still fits the lore. Kinda. If we say so.

Considering the same team is patting themselves on the back on how amazing the dragons are, when their animations are really bad and fighting one feels like a lifeless puppet is moving around withou any care for what is happening around, considering they are so proud of the state of the game when many necromancers are bugged to hell and back and then to hell again... I'm not surprised. But they have seen the last of my money, on this game, the next, and the next, and the next.

Only thing that could make me change my mind would be proper communication, and a return to the stealthy passive. But the longer they remain silent and ignore the issue entirely, the more I'm likely to demand the combat lead's head on a plate. Proper communication goes a long way to redeem one in the eyes of their customers. ZOS type of communication, or lack thereof, only increases customer's anger.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having almost or more than twice as many Redguards be criminals than 4 of the 9 other races have is a bit weird though, considering they aren't known to be faced with predjudice or notoriously criminal. Who would have thought?

US dev team, Black characters, what did you expect ? :P
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not get too far into the weeds.

The Hunter's Eye passive is fundamentally broken, in a way that has never been addressed by the Devs despite weeks of reasoned PTS feedback and months of live feedback in this thread and others.

Stealth detection is, by their own admission, useless in PvE. It is of marginal use in PvP and can be replicated by much better skills/items. It has also been proven through in game testing to actually be detrimental to Bosmer by revealing them sooner than they can reveal others.

No other race has a passive that is only useful in one game mode. In their own patch notes, the devs talk about examining other passives (specifically the duration of the dodge roll buff) performance balance between the modes, but not Stealth Detection. This despite the fact that the problem was brought up immediately when the racial changes were first posted pre-PTS.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But sure, whatever.

Argumentum ad populum?

Oh I thought it was a detect passive, never really used it to know. Their wording.

I think the stealth buffs shouldn’t be a part of the race passives. Unless it’s stealth damage, they’re not important enough from a large scale point of view. However, I already thought that they belonged in the thief skillline. Race passives should favor more common gameplay, whether it’s in pve or pvp. If this was a single player game that would be a different story. I’m sure that’s the idea the devs had with the race balance, more flexible passives.

You said it yourself. Race passives should favor more common gameplay. A stealth bonus works in all three parts of the game. PvP, PvE (when going through delves and skipping ahead in dungeons) and non-combat gameplay like Justice gameplay. Detection is the least flexible bonus imaginable though. NPCs don't sneak. Period. Not even the NPC Nightblades that go invisible get revealed by detection. It is exclusively PvP and that is a major problem in regards to ZOS' own goals.

If people are going to complain about detection being removed again, then let them. Here is what I'll tell them: all the arguments you throw at us can be turned on you too, but you don't have lore or habitute of 5 years of ESO on your side in this. So yeah, pick up your Sentry and Way of the Air set if you like detection, but leave the 25 years of lore and our character identities in peace. Or you can go and convince ZOS that Bosmer can have stealth as well as detection, nothing is stopping you and none of us would oppose that as long it's a pure buff and nothing else gets taken away.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on June 19, 2019 2:16PM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can’t command pets, orcs arent in Cyrodiil raging, High elf’s aren’t weak to magic, Bretons don’t absorb magic, argonians stealth/assassin history is irrelevant in the game etc.
    Sorcs can and do command pets. Bosmer don't because that was an active ability, not a passive, and there are no active abilities.
    High Elves weren't weak to magic in Skyrim.
    Bretons' absorb magic ability was an active one in Skyrim, and there are no active abilities, and did not exist before that. If you mean their resistance to magic, they have that now.
    Orcs ARE in Cyrodiil raging, especially if you are AD or EP.
    And you haven't noticed but several of us, myself included, have called for Dunmer and Argonians to have a bonus to hiding as well, since they have consistently been 'second tier' thieves behind Bosmer and Khajiit. So we are well aware of that.

So of the things you mentioned, not one is relevant or equivalent.

There is not one single sliver of evidence for Bosmer ever having any kind of counter stealth ability while there is significant evidence for Bosmer being stealthy.

They removed lore for not lore. And that's fact.

edit to add: I notice that you ignored my question. Demonstrate what thief ability Bosmeri have a bonus to now.

Thanks, so to sum it up is the lore , passives and abilities can change from game to game?. Glad we figured that out on our own.

Let’s see:

Oblivion- High Elf Disease Resistance ability: Resist Disease 75% on Self, constant
    High Elf Elemental Weakness ability: Weakness to Fire, Frost & Shock 25% on Self, constant

Skyrim - Resist Poison: Your Redguard blood gives you 50% resistance to poison.

Oblivion: Resist Poison 75% – Passive
    Resist Disease 75% – Passive

Oblivion- Orc - Resist Magicka 25%

Skyrim - Weakness to Cold- Argonians become colder 25% faster in cold environments.

And yes I ignored it because you’re not getting that passives can change whenever the devs feel like they want to change them. Just look at the examples above. You guys are annoyed by something the series has been doing.

NO, you're ignoring it because it completely negates your position.

What has never changed from game to game is the central role of the race.

Orcs have NEVER been particularly magical.
    Bretons have NEVER been particularly warrior like.

And this can be done for each and every race.

So, answer or acknowledge that you are wrong: to what thief ability do Bosmeri have a bonus now?

Thanks for showing your bias. Zos should rightfully ignore you guys.

This isn't Skyrim this is ESO with it's own lore. I asked in the other thread and I'll ask it again.

Ok so do you have an explanation for this epic lore fail? https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/462221/argonians-losing-their-resistance-to-poison-an-open-letter/p1

tumblr_przn3mQOnE1wq1mxoo1_1280.png

I'm still waiting for someone to defend ZoS on this change. Nobody even bothers to argue, because you can't defend it.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But sure, whatever.

Argumentum ad populum?

I suspect that knowing this should adjust how much outrage you would think reverting the passive would generate. I suspect that if you had suggested removing the medium armor skill to another Bosmer they would have been horrified and very vehement: you were saying, 'hey Bosmer, how about we take away every skill that helps you hide.'
    I think they achieved that goal better with the Khajiit passive. The old passive was bad for both races in that if you didn't use stealth much or at all it was a dead passive. The new Khajiit passive still has the sneaking bonus, but also has a bonus to criticals.

I think we should still have stealth bonus racials, just not the way it had been (where the whole passive was useless if you didn't use stealth) and not the way it is now (only one race can be effective thieves without gear swapping on the fly). So long as every passive has some use if you use stealth or not, wouldn't that be ok?
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would answer that but I already did in this thread. But it’s clear a lot of you just skip over things or just agree with people just because, especially obvious when people are agreeing with the person who made the bosmer pvp comment when bosmer has been the least played and suggested stamina pvp class for years.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Koronach wrote: »
    We can’t command pets, orcs arent in Cyrodiil raging, High elf’s aren’t weak to magic, Bretons don’t absorb magic, argonians stealth/assassin history is irrelevant in the game etc.
    Sorcs can and do command pets. Bosmer don't because that was an active ability, not a passive, and there are no active abilities.
    High Elves weren't weak to magic in Skyrim.
    Bretons' absorb magic ability was an active one in Skyrim, and there are no active abilities, and did not exist before that. If you mean their resistance to magic, they have that now.
    Orcs ARE in Cyrodiil raging, especially if you are AD or EP.
    And you haven't noticed but several of us, myself included, have called for Dunmer and Argonians to have a bonus to hiding as well, since they have consistently been 'second tier' thieves behind Bosmer and Khajiit. So we are well aware of that.

So of the things you mentioned, not one is relevant or equivalent.

There is not one single sliver of evidence for Bosmer ever having any kind of counter stealth ability while there is significant evidence for Bosmer being stealthy.

They removed lore for not lore. And that's fact.

edit to add: I notice that you ignored my question. Demonstrate what thief ability Bosmeri have a bonus to now.

Thanks, so to sum it up is the lore , passives and abilities can change from game to game?. Glad we figured that out on our own.

Let’s see:

Oblivion- High Elf Disease Resistance ability: Resist Disease 75% on Self, constant
    High Elf Elemental Weakness ability: Weakness to Fire, Frost & Shock 25% on Self, constant

Skyrim - Resist Poison: Your Redguard blood gives you 50% resistance to poison.

Oblivion: Resist Poison 75% – Passive
    Resist Disease 75% – Passive

Oblivion- Orc - Resist Magicka 25%

Skyrim - Weakness to Cold- Argonians become colder 25% faster in cold environments.

And yes I ignored it because you’re not getting that passives can change whenever the devs feel like they want to change them. Just look at the examples above. You guys are annoyed by something the series has been doing.

NO, you're ignoring it because it completely negates your position.

What has never changed from game to game is the central role of the race.

Orcs have NEVER been particularly magical.
    Bretons have NEVER been particularly warrior like.

And this can be done for each and every race.

So, answer or acknowledge that you are wrong: to what thief ability do Bosmeri have a bonus now?

Thanks for showing your bias. Zos should rightfully ignore you guys.

This isn't Skyrim this is ESO with it's own lore. I asked in the other thread and I'll ask it again.

Ok so do you have an explanation for this epic lore fail? https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/462221/argonians-losing-their-resistance-to-poison-an-open-letter/p1

tumblr_przn3mQOnE1wq1mxoo1_1280.png

I'm still waiting for someone to defend ZoS on this change. Nobody even bothers to argue, because you can't defend it.

There are other examples in dialogue where Bosmer are talking about how they are good at sneaking around, too. There's screenshots of it. And, yeah, the devs failed to consider their own ESO specific lore with some of these changes, specifically Argonian poison resistance and Bosmer stealth.
    Or you can go and convince ZOS that Bosmer can have stealth as well as detection, nothing is stopping you and none of us would oppose that as long it's a pure buff and nothing else gets taken away.

I'd grumble a bit. If anyone should have the detection thing it is Orcs, by this game's internal lore.
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would answer that but I already did in this thread. But it’s clear a lot of you just skip over things or just agree with people just because, especially obvious when people are agreeing with the person who made the bosmer pvp comment when bosmer has been the least played and suggested stamina pvp class for years.

Your answer was just ZoS defensive white knighting. Also they haven't made up any lore to explain how Argonians magically stopped being resistant to poison while still supporting that they are in Elsweyr. Your answer is not a good excuse and just supports the devs just did a bad job and won't admit to it. Like I said you can't defend it. Also as this persons name implies I think they are just trolling trying to get everyone worked up to get the thread closed.
    Edited by Koronach on June 19, 2019 5:32PM
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In other news: faction lock appears to be a lifetime choice now. So, yeah. More excellent work there.
  • Night_Wolf2112
    Night_Wolf2112
    ✭✭✭✭
    [/quote]

Said the guy who was being condescending to others for not comprehending!
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They probably realized people could still farm AP by going 3-4 times into 7 day campaigns and then switching to 30 just before the end. Not sure how that works honestly.

Not really stealth related, except that means since I am an EP PvP main, I won't get to use my Bosmer outside of Battlegrounds and IC anymore. Ironic, considering they are now designed around PvP.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on June 19, 2019 9:12PM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Said the guy who was being condescending to others for not comprehending![/quote]

That had nothing to do with comprehending but rather testing it, nice try.

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your answer was just ZoS defensive white knighting. Also they haven't made up any lore to explain how Argonians magically stopped being resistant to poison while still supporting that they are in Elsweyr. Your answer is not a good excuse and just supports the devs just did a bad job and won't admit to it. Like I said you can't defend it. Also as this persons name implies I think they are just trolling trying to get everyone worked up to get the thread closed.

How is it white knighting for telling the truth ? You guys really expect everyone to agree with your opinion, that’s why I said zos should ignore you. What’s white knighting about saying the lore constantly changes when that’s what actually happens with zos and Bethesda? You don’t like it then stop playing their games but don’t sit here and act like it’s new . Elder scrolls online is filled with lore breaking things and guess what, the devs will justify it whether you or I like it or not. That’s not knighting that’s the simple truth. I never agreed or disagreed with them and have plenty of posts calling them out, stop feeling so entitled.

Edited by CatchMeTrolling on June 19, 2019 9:21PM
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How is it white knighting for telling the truth ? You guys really expect everyone to agree with your opinion, that’s why I said zos should ignore you. What’s white knighting about saying the lore constantly changes when that’s what actually happens with zos and Bethesda? You don’t like it then stop playing their games but don’t sit here and act like it’s new . Elder scrolls online is filled with lore breaking things and guess what, the devs will justify it whether you or I like it or not. That’s not knighting that’s the simple truth. I never agreed or disagreed with them and have plenty of posts calling them, stop feeling so entitled.

The fact of the matter is the lore doesn't match up, that's not entitlement that's expecting quality from the game devs. As it stands now that is a blatant lore fail, and it makes zero sense. When they even said in their own words "We want to preserve and maintain established lore within the game." You are just trying to find any excuse to defend them or prove yourself right. The only thing you have proven is you are here to troll and argue even when you are dead wrong.
    Edited by Koronach on June 19, 2019 9:25PM
This discussion has been closed.