Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wood Elf/ Bosmer losing stealth passive, An open letter.

• Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OsManiaC wrote: »
    wish someone reached them at E3. 77 pages and no effect

Same I was hoping someone could of talked to them about these lore issues. Also your sig........;;>.=.>
  • OsManiaC
    OsManiaC
    ✭✭✭✭
    Koronach wrote: »

Same I was hoping someone could of talked to them about these lore issues. Also your sig........;;>.=.>

Same as all people here, I try to keep our kin alive and stick to its origins.
    GM of The Argonian Kebab, The Argonian Steak & The Argonian BBQ - PC - EU (The Tamriel Kitchen) @OsManiaC

Don't worry, the tail grows back!
    if it breathes we eats. #justbosmerthings - we can detect stealth boy NPCs and hunt them thanks to our skill!

https://steamcommunity.com/id/osmaniac
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koronach wrote: »

Same as all people here, I try to keep our kin alive and stick to its origins.

Well I'm trying to help so you won't eat me right? (Edits in) ;^.=.^ maybe I should go stand over there.
    Edited by Koronach on June 16, 2019 11:35PM
  • Animal_Mother
    Animal_Mother
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting tired of roll dodging... every three button pushes... while a magplar...

How is this even a passive if I have to actively think about doing it?
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting tired of roll dodging... every three button pushes... while a magplar...

And you're not doing any damage while you're rolling down the street, either. Just burning stamina you could be using for actual DPS. Unless of course you're using a weak build and need the extra penetration, I suppose. But it's wasted overpenetration in many cases.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • HowTaoBrownCow
    HowTaoBrownCow
    ✭✭✭
    I literally didn't realize that the Bosmer had lost their sneak bonus until I ran into this thread. Stuff is changing all the time in the game and I usually just ignore it -- it hurts the people who optimize their build for whatever the current setup is, but after the first few big changes I just gave up on optimizing and settled for role-playing. I put points into the passives, and I generally ignore the details of whatever actual benefits they give me, outside of the broad strokes of magicka for elves and bretons, stamina for redguards and khajiit and wood elves, and so forth.

But also, I didn't realize it because Bosmer have *always* had the sneak bonus, and that sneak bonus was part of the broad strokes that I associated with them. So, when I saw that the Bosmer racial passives had changed, and I read that the "sneak detection radius" had changed, I just assumed that it was a weirdly worded way of saying that they were harder to detect. There are armor set bonuses that improve your sneak, and they also phrase it in terms of sneak detection radius, so I just assumed that was what was going on.

But I've just recently started playing my one Bosmer character again, and doing the Thieves Guild and DB questlines, and it was striking me that my sneak seemed worse than I was expecting. My main character is Khajiit, and I was expecting them to have similar sneak abilities, as usual, but my Bosmer kept being detected when I thought I should have been fine. It was weird, and it had been nagging at me to try to figure out what was going wrong.

And now I know. ZOS, why would you change a sneak/scout type race into just another stamina DPS? The minor speed buff was a nice touch, and would have paired well with the sneak bonus to create the idea of the woodland ranger, moving swiftly and silently through the forest. But now my tiny Bosmer is basically the same as my redguard, and exactly as sneaky as my giant high elf warrior.

I'll roll with this change as I've rolled with all the others. The change to a detection buff is absolutely useless to me, and when I get detected I'll just kill everyone around me like any stamina DPS would do. But it definitely takes some of the fun out of this character for me.
    Censored
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is generally nothing wrong with passives like that, but then they need to make a difference to your overall playstyle. You can't exactly do that on a Bosmer in PvE because it hurts your only other strength which is sustain. You have two conflicting passives there and that's bad design. Your sustain is supposed to make up for the lack of damage and your damage boost can't fill gap created by losing that sustain.
    If we only look at the movement speed, then it's alright, because it boosts you at the moment you need it, the way you need it.

But otherwise if you design a conditional passive, that condition must either be rewarding something you are already doing anyway (think of direct attack or blocking procs) or give you such a large boost that it's rewarding going out of your way (think of Essence Thief). You should also make sure that the buff and condition somehow align in purpose. For example getting a lot of selfhealing is pointless if the conditional is healing someone else who is low.
    The current form of Hunter's Eye rewards you the most if you are in a sticky situation and makes you choose "fight or flight". It does the "flight" part decently, but the "fight" part is lacking because 1500 just doesn't make much of a difference. It looks more like it's supposed to be a table-turner as it tries to reward good defense with a boost to offense, but it performs poorly on that front.
    If you are losing already, +1500 penetration won't make you win. Unless you dodged an important skill from the enemy, but you don't need Hunter's Eye for that.
    And if you dodgeroll while winning already, then you either just gave up your window of opportunity with an unnecessary dodgeroll or you have something else like Eternal Hunt working to your advantage, which most of the time means you would have won even without the 1500 penetration because the fight just wasn't even close in the first place.
    And all of this doesn't even take into account that it doesn't work like that in PvE at all and there it pretty much misses the purpose it's meant to have entirely.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now I know. ZOS, why would you change a sneak/scout type race into just another stamina DPS? The minor speed buff was a nice touch, and would have paired well with the sneak bonus to create the idea of the woodland ranger, moving swiftly and silently through the forest. But now my tiny Bosmer is basically the same as my redguard, and exactly as sneaky as my giant high elf warrior.

(emphasis mine) This is perfectly stated, in an effort to make the racials "distinctive" they turned Bosmer into just a bland stamina race.
    Edited by anadandy on June 17, 2019 4:51PM
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't get it. They've clearly seen there's an overwhelmingly negative response to the changes to the Bosmer passive but they do nothing? Why not just revert the change and then you no longer have to deal with this discussion.
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »
    I don't get it. They've clearly seen there's an overwhelmingly negative response to the changes to the Bosmer passive but they do nothing? Why not just revert the change and then you no longer have to deal with this discussion.

I want to know what the point of the loremaster is. I thought one of his jobs was to make sure the lore was correct. I also love the fact he claims he really likes Argonians and their lore yet our passives don't match the lore. So what is his job exactly? This whole one passive per race just doesn't work. People want a new race how will that work without sharing passives?
    Edited by Koronach on June 17, 2019 5:28PM
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And this feedback started the same day that the changes were announced. It was initially questioned because the wording is so confusing, because the description of the detection bonus is worded almost exactly like the hiding bonus. When the intent was clarified in a later update the *** matter struck the rotating airflow impellor.
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on June 17, 2019 5:49PM
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/456997/class-reps-update-meeting-notes-jan-30-2019/p1

"Bosmer: ZOS has heard concerns about the stackable powerful movement speed. Bosmers will still get a speed boost off dodge, it just wont be as high. Bosmers will get some short damage bonus as compensation. Note: Reps specifically asked about the community’s concern that bosmers are trading stealth for different buffs. We were told that ZOS saw these concerns and would work on creating more options/systems for stealth gameplay outside of race. With these additions, stealth gameplay will open up to more players, and also allow bosmers to have the nice combat buff will still having avenues to be as stealthy as before." (Emphasis mine.)

This was from a January Class Reps meeting. They knew people were already complaining about it, yet they went on with it anyway. Make of that what you will.
    Edited by BlueRaven on June 17, 2019 6:03PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/456997/class-reps-update-meeting-notes-jan-30-2019/p1

"Bosmer: ZOS has heard concerns about the stackable powerful movement speed. Bosmers will still get a speed boost off dodge, it just wont be as high. Bosmers will get some short damage bonus as compensation. Note: Reps specifically asked about the community’s concern that bosmers are trading stealth for different buffs. We were told that ZOS saw these concerns and would work on creating more options/systems for stealth gameplay outside of race. With these additions, stealth gameplay will open up to more players, and also allow bosmers to have the nice combat buff will still having avenues to be as stealthy as before." (Emphasis mine.)

This was from a January Class Reps meeting. They knew people were already complaining about it, yet they went on with it anyway. Make of that what you will.

And opening up stealth to all races still makes Bosmer tied for last place and less stealthy than two other races.

Lore is still corrupted, in-game quest dialogues still don't make sense, and it's basically a verification that they nerfed Bosmer to make Khajiit more attractive to those who embrace the stealth playstyle.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And so far the only option/system for stealth game play created was the new Vesture of Darloc Brae set. The 4 piece bonus is essentially the old Bosmer stealth radius.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

And opening up stealth to all races still makes Bosmer tied for last place and less stealthy than two other races.

Lore is still corrupted, in-game quest dialogues still don't make sense, and it's basically a verification that they nerfed Bosmer to make Khajiit more attractive to those who embrace the stealth playstyle.

Exactly. Orcs are traditionally the least stealthy race in lore and in all iterations of TES games, and currently Bosmer are exactly as stealthy as Orcs. And that's garbage.
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on June 17, 2019 6:58PM
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • HowTaoBrownCow
    HowTaoBrownCow
    ✭✭✭
    Note: Reps specifically asked about the community’s concern that bosmers are trading stealth for different buffs. We were told that ZOS saw these concerns and would work on creating more options/systems for stealth gameplay outside of race. With these additions, stealth gameplay will open up to more players, and also allow bosmers to have the nice combat buff will still having avenues to be as stealthy as before."[/i] (Emphasis mine.)

It does suggest that they are precisely not grasping the issue. It's not that I want my Bosmer to have the same stealth level that he had before (though that would be nice). It's that I want being a Bosmer to mean the same thing that it used to mean. I want being a Bosmer to be somehow fundamentally different than being any other race. If you give me, I don't know, a new armor set buff or a new potion or food that can boost my sneakiness to its old levels, that doesn't make Bosmer more stealthy than other races. I'm exactly as stealthy as a giant High Elf with that same armor/potion/food, and less sneaky than a Khajiit who may be half-again my height and twice my weight and have bright white and gold fur.

I think part of the problem is that ZOS puts a lot of priority on combat and rather less on immersion and roleplay. (I'm not saying they ignore it entirely, but it's lower priority.) They watch PvP and trial stats, and start adjusting abilities and passives and set bonuses and all that to achieve some more "optimal" mechanic, usually with a goal of keeping extreme players happy with combat. And they also have a goal of having any race and class be able to play any of the traditional combat roles (DPS, healer, tank) at least reasonably well. And I appreciate the need for both of those things. But it seems to me that they often do that at the cost of the uniqueness of character choices, and the immersive experience of being in a character's headspace. Part of playing a Bosmer, to me, is that sense of stealth; I'm smaller, faster (achieved with gear choices and mundus stone, before there was a passive boost), and can moved unnoticed through the forest in a way that lumbering, thyroid-overcompensating, waste-of-space races cannot. I don't expect to go toe-to-toe with a roid-rage redguard or orc; I expect to vanish back into the forest, and return in the cover of darkness to cut his throat while he sleeps. (Nature is cruel, and so is my Bosmer.)

And very little of that is actual game mechanics, because games like this have their limits. But it's part of the headspace of playing my Bosmer character, that's completely different than the headspace of playing my High Elf or Redguard warriors, or Breton mage, or my Khajiit Nightblade. Those different headspaces are what let me keep playing the game, because the same quests with the same dialog can feel very different when your headspace changes. My High Elf feels at home in Summerset, my Bosmer loathes every breath he draws there and hates every pretentious Altmer he has to talk to, and it's like I've played 2 Summersets for the price of one.

But I digress. The long and short of it is that they've removed a basic part of the Bosmer's distinctiveness that's been that's been there for 5 years of ESO and several prior Elder Scrolls games, and I'm not sure that they even understand why that matters. Sigh.
    Censored
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed...I'm STILL livid with the stealth changes to Bosmer and the poison resistance changes for the Argonians! I roll with most changes and adapt, but this is so egregious, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth! :(
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be in the minority but I think the stealth passive was just redundant. Perhaps Bosmer need something better than what ZOS gave them with the last racial passive changes, but I still like the idea that it's something unique to them.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that combat is their priority, but I challenge anyone to prove that "stealth detection" actually works, and is useful in PvP. (We know it's worthless in PvE, as they specifically stated that NPCs "can't be bothered to hide").....

My personal experience with it in Cyrodiil is that it doesn't work at all. And it's a fact that the set it is taken from (Way of Air) is decon trash that doesn't even sell for a couple hundred gold on traders. So, not only did they strip us of our core value, but they replaced it with garbage.

And it would be silly to think they aren't aware of the uproar. The silence just proves that they are satisfied with things as is, and they just don't care what we think, because it doesn't fit their vision. They promised to make diverse racials, instead they cut the number of stealthy races in half, and gave most races a stamina buff. So it's hard to believe anything they would have to say at this point.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »
    I may be in the minority but I think the stealth passive was just redundant. Perhaps Bosmer need something better than what ZOS gave them with the last racial passive changes, but I still like the idea that it's something unique to them.

Then take all magicka bonus from Altmer and Dunmer, it's redundant with Bretons. Take all weapon bonuses from every race but Orcs, it's redundant. Take all stamina bonuses from every race but Redguards, it's redundant.

Having one, and only one, race with bonuses to magic is obviously silly; having one, and only one, race with bonuses to combat is equally silly. How is it not just as silly to have one, and only one, race with any bonus to thieving?
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on June 17, 2019 8:28PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then take all magicka bonus from Altmer and Dunmer, it's redundant with Bretons. Take all weapon bonuses from every race but Orcs, it's redundant. Take all stamina bonuses from every race but Redguards, it's redundant.

Having one, and only one, race with bonuses to magic is obviously silly; having one, and only one, race with bonuses to combat is equally silly. How is it not just as silly to have one, and only one, race with any bonus to thieving?

Especially when almost all the lore and quest dialogues about thieving belong to one race.... which happens to NOT be the race that has a current bonus to thievery.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Especially when almost all the lore and quest dialogues about thieving belong to one race.... which happens to NOT be the race that has a current bonus to thievery.

And the design of all previous games, by the way. Bosmer were always #1 for thieving, Khajiit #2.
  • HowTaoBrownCow
    HowTaoBrownCow
    ✭✭✭

That's a great point. There are Khajiit legends about Rajhin that talk about *his* thieving exploits. But the Bosmer have it as an acceptable part of their current culture. You can steal an important item, and then the owner has to ransom it back, and that's considered a normal thing. With that tradition, you'd certainly expect them to be better at it than your average Orc.
    Censored
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't Rajhin only a mediocre thief without the Ring of Khajiit? Or am I confused - and I certainly could be!
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I literally didn't realize that the Bosmer had lost their sneak bonus until I ran into this thread. Stuff is changing all the time in the game and I usually just ignore it -- it hurts the people who optimize their build for whatever the current setup is, but after the first few big changes I just gave up on optimizing and settled for role-playing. I put points into the passives, and I generally ignore the details of whatever actual benefits they give me, outside of the broad strokes of magicka for elves and bretons, stamina for redguards and khajiit and wood elves, and so forth.

But also, I didn't realize it because Bosmer have *always* had the sneak bonus, and that sneak bonus was part of the broad strokes that I associated with them. So, when I saw that the Bosmer racial passives had changed, and I read that the "sneak detection radius" had changed, I just assumed that it was a weirdly worded way of saying that they were harder to detect. There are armor set bonuses that improve your sneak, and they also phrase it in terms of sneak detection radius, so I just assumed that was what was going on.

But I've just recently started playing my one Bosmer character again, and doing the Thieves Guild and DB questlines, and it was striking me that my sneak seemed worse than I was expecting. My main character is Khajiit, and I was expecting them to have similar sneak abilities, as usual, but my Bosmer kept being detected when I thought I should have been fine. It was weird, and it had been nagging at me to try to figure out what was going wrong.

I'll roll with this change as I've rolled with all the others. The change to a detection buff is absolutely useless to me, and when I get detected I'll just kill everyone around me like any stamina DPS would do. But it definitely takes some of the fun out of this character for me.

Thank you for posting. Every once in a while we’ll get someone who claims it’s just affecting 5-6 of us and no one else cares. You are proof that it affects more people than we can know. There are plenty of players chagrined with this change who just frown, don’t read the forums and decide to continue or quit that we will never know about.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • HowTaoBrownCow
    HowTaoBrownCow
    ✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Thank you for posting. Every once in a while we’ll get someone who claims it’s just affecting 5-6 of us and no one else cares. You are proof that it affects more people than we can know. There are plenty of players chagrined with this change who just frown, don’t read the forums and decide to continue or quit that we will never know about.

And thank you all for building this thread for so long. I would have kept assuming that my stealth fails were just me being a bad player, if I hadn't accidentally run into this thread and realized that it was the game, not me. That's reassuring. :-)
    Censored
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran into someone outside of game a day or so ago; we "know" each other on other forums. She had quit playing ESO some months back, and asked me how things were going.

Told her about this whole balls-up, and she said "Well.... that sucks. I got tired of all the crap that didn't work and didn't get fixed, but this.... it just bought the farm. I was thinking about starting up my sub again.... but no. That they could break lore in such a drastic manner.... and then try to justify it so badly.

"No. No more money from me. And sure - I can play without paying. But I won't. I refuse. I'm done."

I have her permission to post this, without any identifying info.

Sad.
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, with 2.3k replies, 49.1k views, and now 78 pages long, I am pretty sure the community cares more about this issue than any other current topic on the forums.
    Yes, Z0$ nerfed Wood Elf to buff Khajiit and sell more Elsweyr copies... We're all cats now. :lol:
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, with 2.3k replies, 49.1k views, and now 78 pages long, I am pretty sure the community cares more about this issue than any other current topic on the forums.
    Yes, Z0$ nerfed Wood Elf to buff Khajiit and sell more Elsweyr copies... We're all cats now. :lol:

I had khajiit before. I didn't make new ones since. I probably will make new ones eventually, as I decide to spend the crowns on slots (but really.... I'm waiting on sales, y'know?)

No more than bosmer do I play my khajiit as stealthy. It's not a playstyle I favor. I've never played thieves. Probably won't in future. My problem is, bottom line, they screwed the lore.

No excuse for that.
  • Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    I ran into someone outside of game a day or so ago; we "know" each other on other forums. She had quit playing ESO some months back, and asked me how things were going.

Told her about this whole balls-up, and she said "Well.... that sucks. I got tired of all the crap that didn't work and didn't get fixed, but this.... it just bought the farm. I was thinking about starting up my sub again.... but no. That they could break lore in such a drastic manner.... and then try to justify it so badly.

"No. No more money from me. And sure - I can play without paying. But I won't. I refuse. I'm done."

I have her permission to post this, without any identifying info.

Sad.

Same boat here. I canceled my subscription as soon as this travesty was implemented and have not played since. I wasn't happy at all with the alterations made to my Altmer or Dunmer but I could live with them if I had too. The complete lobotomization of The Bosmer was however completely intolerable. If this egregious breach of Lore and ES integrity is allowed to stand then ZOS will just do it again. At what point will ESO be an ES game in name only? I've no intention of wasting my time and money on this game while the current ZOS team is intent on defiling decades old Elder Scrolls legacy. Unless this course is corrected I'm done as well.

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
This discussion has been closed.