Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Add-ons sending chat messages poll

HaljaNifheim
HaljaNifheim
✭✭
ZOS efforts with dealing bots and SPAMers in general is progressing positively but can we release the choke hold on us sending chat messages via lua code?
When push comes to shove the Gold-farmers can bypass the block on SendChatMessage. They are in it for the money and a ban stick is only a minor annoyance to them. There are lot of us that want to increase game enjoyment of the players in our add-on with chat features. Some would add it for group and raid coordination. Others like me for deeper immersion and enhanced role-play with emotes and chat messages. This restriction in a way puts the game at a competitive disadvantage to all most all other MMORPG on the market. Those games allow sending chat via code. Heck, WoW has a pretty good instant messenger add-on that players love.

From the add-on community, what do you believe the restriction should be if any at all?

Please be civil I would really like to explore this with ZOS as a community petition.
Thanks,
--Halja
Edited by HaljaNifheim on April 10, 2014 7:20PM

Add-ons sending chat messages poll 41 votes

Stays closed and unavailable to add-on developers
41%
BlackhorneMercyKillingJariaththegreenmonkey69b14_ESOSmaxxjanick.gerstenbergerb16_ESOAvornieldennissomb16_ESOAnzerpjt15253psychoman88ub17_ESOPawketteiEuthanasiaKatra91Sgt_WeirdoNationKannibalRath 17 votes
Open it up to be all channels [ SendChatMessage (string, channelId, target) ]
14%
claudekennilolSeliqueSkyByteXen91step1step2ganzaeso 6 votes
Open but not during certain events and/or locations [ SendChatMessage protected (string, channelId, target) ]
9%
BrianRiversidebuffbcub17_ESOZoroark173medevel 4 votes
Open but channelId is narrow in broadcast scope (zone and yell blocked) [ SendChatMessage (string, channelId, target) ]
19%
WykkydSeerahHafgar_WGraogrimmHyzieVantorenauxonamunBlackTinuviel 8 votes
Open to /say, /group, /emote only?
14%
VyshanHandofBanereagen_lionelSchnieder6lckyTekel 6 votes
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I'd love to use it for some thing (e.g. I created a text macro addon), I can understand them being removed, since it would provide an easy way for addons to communicate with other players, which in the end can be used to automate things. E.g. games like Warhammer Online had addons that picked targets for you or helped you syncing attacks, which is something I definitely don't want to see in this game.
  • Sevec
    Sevec
    ✭✭✭
    I could live with it, but only if it was restricted to certain chats like zone or specified "spam chat." In other words, the things that I can easily ignore. I get enough spam in my in-game mail.
  • claudekennilol
    claudekennilol
    ✭✭✭
    Open it up to be all channels [ SendChatMessage (string, channelId, target) ]
    Smaxx wrote: »
    While I'd love to use it for some thing (e.g. I created a text macro addon), I can understand them being removed, since it would provide an easy way for addons to communicate with other players, which in the end can be used to automate things. E.g. games like Warhammer Online had addons that picked targets for you or helped you syncing attacks, which is something I definitely don't want to see in this game.

I'm sure that worked well in a game that didn't have active targeting...

Another simple solution, limit global channels to be usable only beyond lvl 5.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Smaxx wrote: »

I'm sure that worked well in a game that didn't have active targeting...

Another simple solution, limit global channels to be usable only beyond lvl 5.

That wont be hard to do. Since all you need is one character to complete coldharbor once, and skip it on every subsequent character. Automatic level 4. getting that extra level wont be hard at all. Wont really do jack to spammers. even if they didnt skip, they have to leave cold harbor to even spam in the first place. Which also puts them at level 4 and even 5. So limiting that to level 5 wont do jack but hurt the legitamate players who want to use the global channels.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, no. It's already something that's being abused. There's some kind of add on that enables a person to post in multiple colors....and people do. Quite often. I also quite often ignore such people, but AFAIK, the ignore list is finite in size and I'd rather save the limited space for gold spammers and degenerates.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Seerah
    Seerah
    ✭✭✭
    Open but channelId is narrow in broadcast scope (zone and yell blocked) [ SendChatMessage (string, channelId, target) ]
    You don't need an addon for that. Besides, if an addon can't send chat messages, all it's doing is putting that text into the chat box and the user still has to hit 'enter'.
    Edited by Seerah on April 12, 2014 4:48PM
    Author & Moderator at ESOUI
    My Addons
  • Nation
    Nation
    This is the epitome of bots / spams / hacks / exploits. Using a code to do something en masse has never been smiled upon in any MMORPG that I've played.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nation wrote: »
    This is the epitome of bots / spams / hacks / exploits. Using a code to do something en masse has never been smiled upon in any MMORPG that I've played.

This already doesnt stop them from doing just that. They do this even in games that dont have addon support at all. It will not even inhibit them.
  • thegreenmonkey69b14_ESO
    Leave it out, there's enough spam as it is, and I don't think add-ons should be allowed to add to it. I also don't believe it is a 'competitive disadvantage' as you put it. I think chat is the least of how an MMO is marketed and is certainly not a selling point for any of the ones I have played, and that has been more than a few.