Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is the Stibbons storyline and character blatantly sexist towards men

• Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    macsmooth wrote: »
    Illuvatarr wrote: »
    macsmooth wrote: »
    Sorry say what now?

You not married are you

Not sure if my marriage status or anything about me personally is relevant to the subject topic. Accidentally double posted so I am pretty sure this one will get locked as well.

That’s ok I wasn’t really asking for your married status

Good to know.
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Manservant is an actual job, and commonly sidekick to the sort of nobility that Lady Laurent is lampooning, like Jeeves and Wooster or Lord Peter Wimsey and Bunter.

The Laurent/Stibbons recurring characters arent to my taste, as I don't find their brand of comedy very amusing. I really disliked Laurent in Wrothgar for her terrible archaeology practices and snobbery and would have happily left her high up on that mountain.

So was stewardess.

So was ***.

So was mistress.

All sexist as well and rightfully changed/eliminated.

Uh oh someone is taking their own thread too far 😂
  • mjharper
    mjharper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I suppose it's also sexist against men to have strong, capable female characters?
    Edited by mjharper on May 31, 2019 4:50PM
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the Stibbons story line was more S&M than sexist to be honest.
  • Fivefivesix
    Fivefivesix
    ✭✭✭
    lol is this for real?
    United we stand, divided we fall.
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    mjharper wrote: »
    I suppose it's also sexist against men to have strong, capable female characters?

You suppose incorrectly.
  • Roboplus
    Roboplus
    ✭✭✭
    The best way to determine if an interaction is sexist isn't to flip the two sexes, it's to make them the same.

If they're both men/women, does Laurent treat Stibbons any differently? If yes, it's sexist. If no, it's not.
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The term "man-servant" is not sexist; it refers to a servant who is male.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/manservant
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    They are both miserable humans.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • Neyane
    Neyane
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No. It’s funny and just a game. Don’t take it so seriously.
    The most important thing in life is enjoying yourself.
    810+, love trials and dungeons, achievement hunter ♥
    Stormproof on 9 characters and more to come~ Flawless on MagSorc & MagPlar ♥
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Noisivid wrote: »
    I do think if the genders were reversed (male Laurant and female Stibbons) there would be
    regular threads about it being demeaning to women. Make of that what you will.
    There are several books in the 'Lusty Argonian Maid' series in the game, nobody cares.
    There are several 'paid companion' and 'exotic entertainer' NPCs in this game (visit dunmer zones for instance), nobody cares.
    There is literal reference to extreme violence in the vampire creation scenario, nobody cares.
    There are several mistreated female characters, such as the Breton slave woman in Shadowfen, nobody cares.

This thread is absolute nonsense.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Stibbons is a true TES Hero.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man-servant is a actual job title, look it up and stop starting fires. The whole thing is a comedy bit anyway. It's a gentlemen butler or head of the household's servant staff. This isn't Law and Order SVU, the omega's aren't rising, knock it off.
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Guys its a TES game. Its absolute satire of both archetypes represented in the relationship. Its there to trigger the feelings that it isn't right to act like that. It's there to make fun of a common stereotype. Just like puri puri prisoner in One Punch Man.

Mark twaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiin for frak sakes lol. have a good day.
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • WolfingHour
    WolfingHour
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Particularly, the title “man-servant” and how she treats him. If the roles were reversed, it would be a talking point in social media

Laurent doesn't treat stibbons the way that she does because he is a man, but rather because he is her underling. She seems to treat everyone that she doesn't perceive as being powerful or rich the same way.

My biggest qualm against these characters is that we see them over and over again, in the exact same story beats and as a result these two are unidimensional cardboard cutouts. they are just caricature. If you have ever seen any victorian period piece the basis of the upstairs/downstairs is essentially this.
    Edited by WolfingHour on May 31, 2019 5:15PM
  • Noisivid
    Noisivid
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    bluebird wrote: »
    I do think if the genders were reversed (male Laurant and female Stibbons) there would be
    There are several books in the 'Lusty Argonian Maid' series in the game, nobody cares.
    There are several 'paid companion' and 'exotic entertainer' NPCs in this game (visit dunmer zones for instance), nobody cares.
    There is literal reference to extreme violence in the vampire creation scenario, nobody cares.
    There are several mistreated female characters, such as the Breton slave woman in Shadowfen, nobody cares.

nice selective editing there.

for reference here's my full post (post #11)

"No
    I don't think it's sexist. Part of the humour is in the reversal of the gender stereotypes.

copy/paste from other thread

It's not really worth worrying about."

Please don't try to misrepresent my actual post by taking things out of context.

Vogon Poet Laureate
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »

Particularly, the title “man-servant” and how she treats him. If the roles were reversed, it would be a talking point in social media

Laurent doesn't treat stibbons the way that she does because he is a man, but rather because he is her underling. She seems to treat everyone that she doesn't perceive as being powerful or rich the same way.

My biggest qualm against these characters is that we see them over and over again, in the exact same story beats and as a result these two are unidimensional cardboard cutouts. they are just caricature. If you have ever seen any victorian period piece the basis of the upstairs/downstairs is essentially this.

Oh thank Yfrre for these two responses, I had just about given up
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please google Joe Rogan’s joke about Harveena Weinstein for my thoughts on this nonsense.
  • ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings! We've closed this thread as it is a duplicate thread. Per the community rules. deliberately disobeying a request or action by a member of the ZeniMax Online Studios/ESO Team is not permitted at any time. As an example, if we close a thread you created and leave an explanation stating why it was closed, you may not re-create the thread.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.