The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Having A Tough Time Deciding on a Main for PvP - Magplar, Magblade, or Magsorc

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who recently hit grand overlord on templar--

I don't super recommend it as a PvP main if you play frequently solo or duo. It's a very strong spec in group play, but making it work solo can be very frustrating compared to classes with built-in repositioning/kiting skills.

Mistform and/or Race Against Time and Extended Ritual help, but it's far too common on templar to get bogged down in a fight and not be able to disengage as more hostiles roll in. NBs and Sorcs can at least attempt a kite.

If you play a lot in groups of 3+, templar is pretty great--you still have to build for mobility a little more than those other specs, especially if you run with a lot of stambros.

If you mainly zerg, it really doesn't matter, play whatever has animations you like. Or whatever your group lead asks you for.
    Mihael wrote: »
    What race is best for mag nb

Breton is pretty strong, and would be my first choice.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely preference after the race balance changes. Each one gives different build options. Look at what your build plan is and then choose the race based on your weak point or how you are stacking a specific modifier.

High elf- great Stam sustain. Helps run a recovery food with lower max stam. Good dmg potential with the max mag and spell dmg.

Breton- free sustain set. Extra tankiness still max mag.

Khajiit- stacking crit modifiers/health recov. Just enough sustain if you are moderately careful.

Dark elf- similar to high elf but max Stam instead of Stam recov.

Argonian- potion options.

Imperial- max stats/cost reduction.

I’d say all of them are similarly balanced. Most believe Breton is BIS.
    Edited by Insco851 on May 31, 2019 4:15PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ceejaae wrote: »
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I spend months away from my Magsorc - I come back and pick it back up for easy kills and great survivability. It gets boring fast.

That's what I'm afraid of. I can see it getting very repetitive very fast and thus become very stale.

Probably, but it is stronger. I’d say between 1/4 to half of battlegrounds are sorcs and that’s the reason. Easily the strongest pvp class.

I don't doubt that but I have never based my decision to play a particular class solely on how strong it is (hence the criteria I mentioned in my initial post). Its an extreme example but would you play a class that had one ability, but that ability immediately one-shot anyone regardless of their gear, class, skill, etc as soon as you pressed it? Probably not... at least not after you had your 'fun' for 10 minutes and started getting bored to death. Again... a bit extreme, but it helps show how a classe's strength is far from being the sole determiner of someone's decision to play it.

I just need a class to be viable, have 1vX capability, be able to survive 1v3 if played well and with an ideal gear/skill setup, be capable of 'outplaying' opponents, have some variety in terms of the builds/setups it can realistically run so it doesn't get stale... and if 2-3 classes can do all of these things then I pick the one that is the most fun.

That's why NB. Sorc has a few different build options, but practically all DDs boil down to pet vs non pet build. Even then the difference really is just the pets.

NB has way more variety in terms of bar differences and why it is probably the most suggested class for you

Are there any solid builds that utilize perhaps a SnB backbar instead of the resto backbar, or non-class ultimates? Is there any reason to go Vampire or just stay normal? I believe I will be committing on the NB tonight.

Absolutely not. There are no good magNB builds that use S&B. For magblades the only ultimate I could see using that isn’t a class one is soul assault. Vampire maybe, helps sustain but burst is up this patch and vampire doesn’t help.

The class toolkit is severely lacking in self healing... I think the weakest self healing in game - mag or stam. Back bar resto is required for anyone who doesn’t want to be a glass canon.

For race: Breton or Argonian I’d say. Or khajit in a cheesy crit build like mechanical acuity, caluurion and the monster that buffs damage when you ultimate plus shadow mundus. Then only fight for 5-7 seconds and cloak/stealth until your proc’s are back up. Crit damage is up with RAT and crit resists haven’t gone up to counter it in no CP.
    Edited by Iskiab on May 31, 2019 8:12PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spend months away from my Magsorc - I come back and pick it back up for easy kills and great survivability. It gets boring fast.

That's what I'm afraid of. I can see it getting very repetitive very fast and thus become very stale.

Probably, but it is stronger. I’d say between 1/4 to half of battlegrounds are sorcs and that’s the reason. Easily the strongest pvp class.

I don't doubt that but I have never based my decision to play a particular class solely on how strong it is (hence the criteria I mentioned in my initial post). Its an extreme example but would you play a class that had one ability, but that ability immediately one-shot anyone regardless of their gear, class, skill, etc as soon as you pressed it? Probably not... at least not after you had your 'fun' for 10 minutes and started getting bored to death. Again... a bit extreme, but it helps show how a classe's strength is far from being the sole determiner of someone's decision to play it.

I just need a class to be viable, have 1vX capability, be able to survive 1v3 if played well and with an ideal gear/skill setup, be capable of 'outplaying' opponents, have some variety in terms of the builds/setups it can realistically run so it doesn't get stale... and if 2-3 classes can do all of these things then I pick the one that is the most fun.

That's why NB. Sorc has a few different build options, but practically all DDs boil down to pet vs non pet build. Even then the difference really is just the pets.

NB has way more variety in terms of bar differences and why it is probably the most suggested class for you

Are there any solid builds that utilize perhaps a SnB backbar instead of the resto backbar, or non-class ultimates? Is there any reason to go Vampire or just stay normal? I believe I will be committing on the NB tonight.

Absolutely not. There are no good magNB builds that use S&B. For magblades the only ultimate I could see using that isn’t a class one is soul assault. Vampire maybe, helps sustain but burst is up this patch and vampire doesn’t help.

The class toolkit is severely lacking in self healing... I think the weakest self healing in game - mag or stam. Back bar resto is required for anyone who doesn’t want to be a glass canon.

For race: Breton or Argonian I’d say. Or khajit in a cheesy crit build like mechanical acuity, caluurion and the monster that buffs damage when you ultimate plus shadow mundus. Then only fight for 5-7 seconds and cloak/stealth until your proc’s are back up. Crit damage is up with RAT and crit resists haven’t gone up to counter it in no CP.

You can go no resto, I equip a resto for reliable burst but if you wanted s&b it’s possible. Non healing ward isn’t a must slot like harness. Troll king can take care of that.

I wouldn’t suggest it but with no resto skills on the bar? Why not? (Would still suggest ice staff over s&b due to more utility of mag block defense)
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

u idealy prefer the one that gives u most spelldmg if u want the hit and run tactic. for me altmer is preferable becouse u also get stamina back which helps u to break out of cc and get back into cloaking.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »

You can go no resto, I equip a resto for reliable burst but if you wanted s&b it’s possible. Non healing ward isn’t a must slot like harness. Troll king can take care of that.

I wouldn’t suggest it but with no resto skills on the bar? Why not? (Would still suggest ice staff over s&b due to more utility of mag block defense)

Oh maybe you play CP pvp? In no-CP harness and Troll King isn’t enough for survivability.

By the way, when I mentioned how a crit based Khajit skirmisher works, someone posted a similar stamblade build that could easily be adapted to magblade:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/477361/stamina-nightblade-critical-beast-build-for-pvp-elsweyr#latest

Only difference is magblade has less self healing so definitely use disguise. Only difference is I use the BRP staff for an extra ranged dot and would use the fear too. Style’s fun, his write up’s good... just think of magblade equivalents.
    Edited by Iskiab on June 1, 2019 2:47AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »

Oh maybe you play CP pvp? In no-CP harness and Troll King isn’t enough for survivability.

By the way, when I mentioned how a crit based Khajit skirmisher works, someone posted a similar stamblade build that could easily be adapted to magblade:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/477361/stamina-nightblade-critical-beast-build-for-pvp-elsweyr#latest

Only difference is magblade has less self healing so definitely use disguise. Only difference is I use the BRP staff for an extra ranged dot and would use the fear too. Style’s fun, his write up’s good... just think of magblade equivalents.

Yes CP. and I already run a crit based magblade with Khajiit. :wink: (I don’t rely on MA for crit chance However)

Had a full crit combo on a player who is always running very tanky setups... my La>Ele Weapon with a proc’d glyph hit him for 14k~ (post soul harvest modifier)

I regularly see 11k~ from that combo as well.

(Will confirm troll king ain’t it for no cp... very little chance to survive a burst and proc it)
    Edited by Insco851 on June 1, 2019 2:59AM
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The superior race of course, the altmer.
  • RighteousBacon
    RighteousBacon
    ✭✭✭✭

Breton
  • Bazeric
    Bazeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too bad, best of luck. I am having more fun on my magden than magblade these days. If you get bored you can always put on caluurions tho I guess. Still Sorc is there if you want to feel godmode. People say it's boring but I think there is more diversity there than some lead on, but one style is for sure better.
    Looking for broken things in hopes they may be fixed. I've given up, my game literally works differently from yours.
    64M+ AP across 9 toons... kinda makes me a GO
  • Eldar_Ftw
    Eldar_Ftw
    ✭✭
    Magsorc has been pure faceroll these past few months. Its like playing a FPS with auto aim, but more cancerous.