Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Igneous Weapons for tank (dungeons)?

Puxo1105
Puxo1105
As im reached max level with my tank now and working on stepping into veteran dungeon I want to try optimize myself abit.
Right now I use:
S&B: Pierce Armor - Igneous Shield - Heroic Slash - Hardened Armor - Absorb Magic - Aggressive Horn
S&B: Inner Rage - Igneous Weapons - Unrelenting Grip - Green Dragon Blood Choking Talons - Magma Shell

I have seen many tanks go with a frost/shock staff on backbar with elemental blockad for proccing crusher enchant. But that would mean I have to drop something.
Most guides etc is close to what I have but not Igneous Weapons, I use it too buff both my friend (hes playing dps) and also random ppl in dungeon for the dmg. Dont know if many ppl run 20% buff themself? as I can understand not many pop too much potions in duingeons?
Or would it be better to let dps buff themself? So I can use Elemental Blockade?

Also, seen many ppl go with Balance instead of Hardneded Armor (this is something I could do later, not even close to that level in mage guild yet)
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's safe to presume that everyone is bringing their own major sorcery and brutality, so I wouldn't bother with Igneous Weapons on a tank :)
    EU PC
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    Vildebill wrote: »
    It's safe to presume that everyone is bringing their own major sorcery and brutality, so I wouldn't bother with Igneous Weapons on a tank :)

Ya leaning too that too :) Then elemental blockade with a frost staff would be a big improvment
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really depends on the content you are doing. No one I know is really using spell power and weapon power pots in base game dungeons, so for those runs the 20% buff probably out preforms the additional 1100 pen(number taken from top of my head it could be a little + or - and assuming you are running infused and perhaps torug's) you get from running a staff with blockade. For trials and dlc dungeons it's safe to assume people are using good pots so staff(if you have one) will undoubtedly out preform igneous. Most important thing to me is to run what you can sustain without relying on healer so blockade may not be the best choice for a new tank just learning the role, because if you can't sustain it and yourself and go down you have failed as a tank. It's not always the best to take a meta build for maximizing DPS while learning the tank role but gradually progressing to that stage as you learn the role.
    Just my 2 cents from someone still progressing as a tank and swapping from DPS main to tank main.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, please, never. It makes weapons look so ugly. I'm ok with molten armaments, but of course nobody runs them.
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absorb Magic is generally not worth slotting unless you're tanking something with a lot of hard hitting projectiles and you're using it as an activated ability to self heal. It used to be worth slotting for the passive effects but after the move from divines to sturdy and the changes to other DK skills making them better for tanks it has become a niche skill.

Most classes don't have amazing options to access Major Sorcery/Brutality and therefore you can't always trust them to have it. Lots of people use trash pots in veteran dungeons, especially base game dungeons, and even in vet Crags trials. That said the Major Sorcery/Brutality buff is rarely the difference between completing the content or not. If they do have it covered and you have mag classes then you'll want Engulfing Flames in that slot. For buffing your friends' damage I'd replace Absorb Magic with Engulfing/Igneous and put Wall of Frost (or Wall of Lightning if you're very comfortable with the content) on the backbar.

Balance is sometimes very nice and sometimes a bit of a trap. I like having it on the same bar as chains when I use it though that does mean bar swapping to keep up the buff during boss fights. (Unless you have time to have a mob set up and a boss set up. I swear the dps always LEEERRRROOYYY JEEEENNNNKKKKKKIIIIIINNNNNNNSSSS partway through your add-on facilitated gear/skill swapping.)

Magma shell is nice to have on the front bar because it is very awkward to have to bar swap to access your OH $#*7 ultimate.

Other than that all I have is praise for how accessible Torug's Pact with Crusher is for newbie tanks, and sadness that taking full advantage of it now means going to backbar staves which is a bit of a leap for newbie tanks.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absorb Magic is generally not worth slotting

while this used to be true, it actually got a pretty big buff, see this thread https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5757750/#Comment_5757750
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    mobicera wrote: »
    Really depends on the content you are doing. No one I know is really using spell power and weapon power pots in base game dungeons, so for those runs the 20% buff probably out preforms the additional 1100 pen(number taken from top of my head it could be a little + or - and assuming you are running infused and perhaps torug's) you get from running a staff with blockade. For trials and dlc dungeons it's safe to assume people are using good pots so staff(if you have one) will undoubtedly out preform igneous. Most important thing to me is to run what you can sustain without relying on healer so blockade may not be the best choice for a new tank just learning the role, because if you can't sustain it and yourself and go down you have failed as a tank. It's not always the best to take a meta build for maximizing DPS while learning the tank role but gradually progressing to that stage as you learn the role.
    Just my 2 cents from someone still progressing as a tank and swapping from DPS main to tank main.

I have run'ed with a 2h almost all the time, so sustain for that part is not a problem. Just recently switched to B&S in offhand slot too cuase 2h didnt bring anything really.
    But with frost staff, it would bring something :)

Ya with eaz dungeons ppl probly not running pots, but maybe buff themself. For harder I hope ppl using the buff or pot :P so I feel more comfort with dropping it

Absorb Magic not worth slotting? I feel its a good passive bonus to have there if needed. Not that I have any problem right now.
    Engulfing Flames would be nice if dps running fire dmg, but what I have seen most are running lightning :o
    Dont know really what else could be good too use in most dungeons^^
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    Ring of Preservation? instead of Absorb Magic maybe?
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    Also, if I go with a frost staff, should I take Tri Focus passive? I have read that you should skip it so blocking not costing magicka, but some builds not mention it etc.
    What would be best? Not that you will block so much with the staff there, but can be nice to get the taunt effect and shield pop :o
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    And also, for passive, worth it to drop 2 heavy for 1 light + medium, or only 1, for 1 medium? How big diffrent would it give?
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puxo1105 wrote: »
    And also, for passive, worth it to drop 2 heavy for 1 light + medium, or only 1, for 1 medium? How big diffrent would it give?

My answer in another thread (https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/476451/is-6-1-0-tanking-a-good-idea) regarding 5/1/1 vs 6/1:
    jypcy wrote: »
    The difference is minuscule. Your typical tank 5/1/1 build would have ~400 more mag and stam and lower resists (the magnitude of which depends on which pieces are of different weights) than a 6/1 one, with fairly comparable sustain. I personally always go for a full heavy monster set and make only the belt and sometimes hands med/light. This way, if my mental math is right, I lose only ~600 resists and a tiny bit of mag/stam instead of ~2150 spell resist and ~2500 physical resist if I ran off-weight for both monster pieces.

Tl;dr: don’t burn yourself out over the farm for the right pieces in the right weight with the right trait, because it’s not a big deal for pve tanking.
    Ring of Preservation? instead of Absorb Magic maybe?

I think you’d get more use out of absorb magicka than ring of preservation. Your pug groups likely won’t know or care to stand in it, and it’s a pretty massive stamina drain to keep up.
    Also, if I go with a frost staff, should I take Tri Focus passive? I have read that you should skip it so blocking not costing magicka, but some builds not mention it etc.
    What would be best? Not that you will block so much with the staff there, but can be nice to get the taunt effect and shield pop :o

I personally like to take that passive so that if my stamina pool does get drained I don’t have to sit and facetank every hit until I manage to recover some. I definitely prioritize blocking with my snb bar, though, so that I keep as much magicka as possible for buffs/debuffs/cc/heals. For builds that are strapped for bar space as is, having a passive ranged taunt instead of slotting the undaunted skill is also nice. If you’re worried about your mag sustain though and feel comfortable with stam, I wouldn’t say it’s necessary by any means.
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    jypcy wrote: »

Then I will go for 1 medium and rest heavy :) If I get a good medium^^

Trying out ring now, I normaly run with my melee stamina dps friend and get the feel of it, else I go back to absorb magicka.

Ya, I love the ability too have the staff there, but normaly only block with shield :)