The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Beating a dead horse] High Resolution Textures

SirAndy
SirAndy
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I know people (myself included) have asked for this since beta, but i have to bring this up again.

I do quite often switch to 1st person (gasp, the horror!) when i'm in "story" mode (especially delightful in dungeons) because the visuals are much more immersive.
It also helps to have a Nvidia 3D-Vision setup, which gives me real 3D.

When Elsweyr dropped i started a new character from scratch (A Necromancer of course) and most of the main story is very conducive to the 1st person/3D viewing perspective since a lot of it plays out in dungeons and crypts.

Add to that the Treasure Hunter personality and a Gamma Adjustment slider that is turned all they way to OFF and you get a truly impressive visual experience.

The only thing lacking is the low level textures on everything. It's glaringly obvious that these are optimized for 3rd person view where one will never see anything in any sort of detail.

My system is certainly good enough to handle high resolution textures as i'm running ESO fully maxed out on everything and neither my CPU nor my GPU are even tickled.
I suspect the same is true for most PC players.

A HD texture pack simply would be the icing on an otherwise delicious cake ...
w00t.gif

PS: And to those of you who surely will comment here along the lines of "There are much more pressing issues to take care of", i've worked in the gaming industry as a programmer for many years and i can assure you, ZOS *does* have HD textures. It would be trivial for them to package them up and make them available.
Heck, i'd happily pay crowns for them!

PPS: @ZOS_GinaBruno

PPPS: dead_horse.gif

Edited by SirAndy on May 27, 2019 7:09AM
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes please!
    EU PC
  • MrGraves
    MrGraves
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH I wouldn't mind if base game textures (character models included of course) got a little bit of an overhaul. Not to make them totally different or anything just update them to make them look better. Maybe fix the neck seam and skin textures. especially those on the male characters. the perma stubble is kind of annoying (having a stubble facial hair would be fine though.) and so is the body hair when you don't want it or just the overall... very porous kind of dirty looking skin.

Also ear textures. especially those on female wood elves, they dont look like they belong on their heads because the texture quality on the ears vs the face is very apparent. The elf/human characters could also use some texturing on the eyes to make it look like they aren't completely missing eyelashes. which they are unless you put the over the top falsies on. Khajiit fur (on their bodies, not talking about hair styles) looks less like fur and more like wood. Vampire elves have human irises which could use a fix as well as changing how markings work with the vampire overlay so that they appear on top of the vampire overlay, not under it.

Some of the hair styles/textures don't look very cohesive either. Having normal HD textures would be great, too of course.
  • WolfingHour
    WolfingHour
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everything you've said, OP, except the paying crowns bit. That's just crazy talk. Base game improvements should come free with the game. Should ZOS charge piecemeal for bug fixes too?
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some items have really nice resolution textures (like Summersend), but then lots of older / basic items are hurting my eyes, "ugly" is probably the best word to describe them.
    Beyond annoying is a mixture between lootable and non-lootable sacks.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    I know people (myself included) have asked for this since beta, but i have to bring this up again.

I do quite often switch to 1st person (gasp, the horror!) when i'm in "story" mode (especially delightful in dungeons) because the visuals are much more immersive.
    It also helps to have a Nvidia 3D-Vision setup, which gives me real 3D.

When Elsweyr dropped i started a new character from scratch (A Necromancer of course) and most of the main story is very conducive to the 1st person/3D viewing perspective since a lot of it plays out in dungeons and crypts.

Add to that the Treasure Hunter personality and a Gamma Adjustment slider that is turned all they way to OFF and you get a truly impressive visual experience.

The only thing lacking is the low level textures on everything. It's glaringly obvious that these are optimized for 3rd person view where one will never see anything in any sort of detail.

My system is certainly good enough to handle high resolution textures as i'm running ESO fully maxed out on everything and neither my CPU nor my GPU are even tickled.

A HD texture pack simply would be the icing on an otherwise delicious cake ...
    w00t.gif

PS: And to those of you who surely will comment here along the lines of "There are much more pressing issues to take care of", i've worked in the gaming industry as a programmer for many years and i can assure you, ZOS *does* have HD textures. It would be trivial for them to package them up and make them available.
    Heck, i'd happily pay crowns for them!

PPS: @ZOS_GinaBruno

PPPS: dead_horse.gif

Agree totally.

I'd also like to add: the people who make models/textures are a different team than those doing coding/quests/fixing bugs. Releasing hi-rez textures wouldn't cut into that at all. As a modder, my expertise is modelling/texturing - if I needed a coder, I would have to ask for help from one. That's how this works too. Different teams for different jobs.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO is an intentionally gimped game(graphically at least, if you know what to look its very easy to see a lot of pixelated textures in this game that looks like its from a 90's game, even in 4k.) to make it run on consoles and very low end computers.

Considering their target audience is casuals, this makes a lot of sense.
  • LartenCrepsley
    LartenCrepsley
    ✭✭✭
    there is a way to improve the textures via editing the user settings file in documents.
    by changing

SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS "1" to SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS "-3" it improves the texture quality beyond what the basic game settings do...

also if you use votans enhanced settings addon it recognizes this as supreme textures instead of high
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll jump on the band wagon once i buy an Xbox Scarlet. ESO Super Enhanced Edition.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is a way to improve the textures via editing the user settings file in documents.
    by changing
    SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS "1" to SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS "-3" it improves the texture quality beyond what the basic game settings do...
    also if you use votans enhanced settings addon it recognizes this as supreme textures instead of high

I've been running with MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS set to -3 for years. It does make textures better than the basic in-game settings but does nothing for the actual texture detail up close.

Below is a screenshot of a door i'm standing in front of in one of the crypts in Elseweyr, note the severe lack of detail up close.
    sad.gif

post-2-1558976674.png
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where are the high res textures of a horse being beaten? Deceptive title... Click bait.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »
    Where are the high res textures of a horse being beaten? Deceptive title... Click bait.

You'll have to modify your settings file to see the high res version of the horse beating ...
    biggrin.gif

• ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    by changing

Was going to post this. Why isn't this an option in the game itself? It's been available since the game has been released.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mm, maybe, maybe not.

I'll have to check if I have everything set to max (I'd be surprised if I do). I just updated a couple months ago from my old R9-270X 2GB (which definitely didn't have everything set high). The new card cost $150, an 8GB RX 570. Sure, a lot of people who hang out on forums have 1070s/1080s/2080s... but what's the actual "average" GPU out there?

(well, and then there's the other issue - the game is already pushing up towards 100GB, a set of larger textures could get crazy. :# )
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mm, maybe, maybe not.
    I'll have to check if I have everything set to max (I'd be surprised if I do). I just updated a couple months ago from my old R9-270X 2GB (which definitely didn't have everything set high). The new card cost $150, an 8GB RX 570. Sure, a lot of people who hang out on forums have 1070s/1080s/2080s... but what's the actual "average" GPU out there?
    (well, and then there's the other issue - the game is already pushing up towards 100GB, a set of larger textures could get crazy. :# )

Texture packs have traditionally always been optional, and i'm not suggesting otherwise ...
    shades.gif

• twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mm, maybe, maybe not.

They don't have to be mandatory.

But don't deny them to players with better GPUs and more drive space just because some players don't have high(er) end hardware.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.