Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Steam copy?? A launcher for a launcher? Worst lag and ping.

Raevyness
Raevyness
✭✭✭
So When I bought a steam copy of ESO I didn't realise that meant I'd be LOCKED into steam, unable to play without it.

I've now came to realise steam is actually WORST than just owning a ESO copy through the ESO store. Not only is there a tonne of confusion over where I can buy my sub from (steam store? ESO store?) I'm unsure if I can even buy crowns through the ESO store, or am I stuck with the steam store?!

To play the game I have to be ONLINE in STEAM and have the launcher up (which alone is already a pain in the behind on a aging PC!) BUT I then need to launch the launcher for the launcher?! (Launch steam in order to launch the ESO launcher) In order to play?!

WHY. Seriously why! I'm frustrated beyond belief. I've got my ESO account linked to the online ESO store/site and from Australia, where ping is already BAD. All these launchers and additional programs make it WORST. Considerably.

My partner who owns a NON steam copy of eso gets ping 330-350ms. My ping? Around 400 and rather unstable.

I just really really want to get away from steam, my gosh! Not only that but I've had connection issues to steam which had meant NO ESO!

I cannot and do not understand why ESO enforces steam players to launch through steam! This SHOULD be a choice and NOT a must in order to play.

Help me understand the sanity behind WHY anyone would think this is a good idea?!
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bit the bullet a long time ago and re bought the base game outside of steam. Imo steam sucks but some games you are forced to buy it through them. If you don’t have to then I think it’s always in your best interest not to.
  • Raevyness
    Raevyness
    ✭✭✭
    I agree! I didn't think there was a difference between the steam copy & regular, just that I could have it in a place where all my friends are etc. But I realised now that you can connect a regular ESO account to steam and get the same outcome.

All steam is is limiting. I didn't think if I bought steam i'd be a 'second class citizen' and have to deal with additional garbage and issues (esos PLUS steams!).

Worst buy. If I didn't already own Summerset, Morrowind and other DLCs, I'd make the repurchase but I stand to lose wayy to much to do that at this point.
  • Muanthuun
    Muanthuun
    ✭✭✭
    Raevyness wrote: »
    So When I bought a steam copy of ESO I didn't realise that meant I'd be LOCKED into steam, unable to play without it.

I've now came to realise steam is actually WORST than just owning a ESO copy through the ESO store. Not only is there a tonne of confusion over where I can buy my sub from (steam store? ESO store?) I'm unsure if I can even buy crowns through the ESO store, or am I stuck with the steam store?!

To play the game I have to be ONLINE in STEAM and have the launcher up (which alone is already a pain in the behind on a aging PC!) BUT I then need to launch the launcher for the launcher?! (Launch steam in order to launch the ESO launcher) In order to play?!

WHY. Seriously why! I'm frustrated beyond belief. I've got my ESO account linked to the online ESO store/site and from Australia, where ping is already BAD. All these launchers and additional programs make it WORST. Considerably.

My partner who owns a NON steam copy of eso gets ping 330-350ms. My ping? Around 400 and rather unstable.

I just really really want to get away from steam, my gosh! Not only that but I've had connection issues to steam which had meant NO ESO!

I cannot and do not understand why ESO enforces steam players to launch through steam! This SHOULD be a choice and NOT a must in order to play.

Help me understand the sanity behind WHY anyone would think this is a good idea?!

You can launch the game without Steam. Go to the drive its stored on-Program Files x86-Zenimax Online-The Elder Scrolls Online-Game-Client and find the launch application for the game. Mine is called eso64. It launches the game directly. Create a shortcut to somewhere like your desktop for easy access. To patch though, you need a launcher, which you can find through your Steam files. If you need help with the path, please let me know.
  • Raevyness
    Raevyness
    ✭✭✭
    Muanthuun wrote: »

You can launch the game without Steam. Go to the drive its stored on-Program Files x86-Zenimax Online-The Elder Scrolls Online-Game-Client and find the launch application for the game. Mine is called eso64. It launches the game directly. Create a shortcut to somewhere like your desktop for easy access. To patch though, you need a launcher, which you can find through your Steam files. If you need help with the path, please let me know.

Not true. I tried to do this and it gave the "login failed.... if you purchased the game through steam, please start the game via the steam launcher" :(
  • Raevyness
    Raevyness
    ✭✭✭
    I should add the account is from early 2017, and I believe with some steam accounts prior to then it worked, but not after.
  • Muanthuun
    Muanthuun
    ✭✭✭
    I should add the account is from early 2017, and I believe with some steam accounts prior to then it worked, but not after.

I just started playing on PC late April. I have launched this way quite a few times while experimenting with various addons and to see if it worked. It works, not sure why it doesn't for you.
  • SeiSama
    SeiSama
    ✭✭
    Wanna hear something funny? I bought the base game again while pre-purchasing Elswyr only to get rid of steam disconnects and lag. But! Now I can't connect again! Lag and 999+ ping! With high speed internet with only me using it!
  • Raevyness
    Raevyness
    ✭✭✭

I just started playing on PC late April. I have launched this way quite a few times while experimenting with various addons and to see if it worked. It works, not sure why it doesn't for you.

You're lucky then! Coz I know a lot of people are having the same problem with steam. I just really don't understand the devs reasoning for this... I play other games that come with a external launcher and I am not required to launch and play through steam. It's just silly imo. Players SHOULD be able to opt out of steam if they choose.

I'd like a actual dev/community mod response as to why steam players are forced to use steam and there is no way to play without it. Either way you need an active ESO account in order to play ESO.
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're lucky then! Coz I know a lot of people are having the same problem with steam. I just really don't understand the devs reasoning for this... I play other games that come with a external launcher and I am not required to launch and play through steam. It's just silly imo. Players SHOULD be able to opt out of steam if they choose.

I'd like a actual dev/community mod response as to why steam players are forced to use steam and there is no way to play without it. Either way you need an active ESO account in order to play ESO.

Hey there! The Devs in the past briefly commented on it, but not much. Since I've been through it personally I'll try to clear up some misconceptions.

Firstly, the person you're replying to had to have redeemed a key on the main site, or purchased the account on ZoS's site directly and linked it to Steam because there is NO way that an addon can fix this issue. It's a Steam issue. Not something that ZoS or an addon can control because they don't have control over those issues.

Why? In November 2016, Steam wanted a cut of the pie so to speak and anyone buying ESO directly from Steam was fixed to a "Steam" account and not an actual "ZoS" account. The reasoning I'd assume is money, but there's also the fact that this was around the same time they started selling subscriptions through the Steam Store Page if I recall correctly. This is why no addon will ever 'fix' this issue. Because everything is still considered 'Steam' based on your account.

Here's a slew of threads for you to peruse about the issue.
    1. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/310088/unable-to-play-steams-version-of-eso-due-to-error
    2. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/420573/official-response-from-zos-to-my-ticket-how-to-play-without-steam
    3. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/334512/can-i-launch-steam-copy-of-eso-without-steam
    4. Another thread earlier this year; https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/456386/zos-make-is-so-that-steam-users-can-log-in-without-using-steam-pretty-please
    5. Another thread in 2018; https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/406324/is-there-a-way-to-play-the-game-without-steam

Now there may be a silver lining, but as far as I know, it's strictly anecdotal. I never had to do it because I bought my version through Steam pre-November 2016. Anyway, some have been reporting that they were able to remove the Steam credential login by buying the standard version of a chapter being that it overrides your Steam key somehow. Either the person you're replying to had done this method sometime in the past (probably with Summerset or Elsweyr) or they're mistaken on when they created the account (because this is a Steam issue and unless they did either of those things there's no other way unless they didn't buy it on Steam), but there is NO addon that will fix the credential issue. If there was, people would be plastering it all over the place because this is almost a three year issue that people have been begging ZoS to fix and they can't because their hands are tied based on how accounts are created now.

Here's a link with users talking about trying to get out from Steam's rule by using the following (your mileage may vary);
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5586593/#Comment_5586593

I know there's a few more running around, but I haven't slept yet and I'm still waiting for natch potes. I will also say this, I strongly caution with the key thing/take it with a grain of salt and only do it when the game is on sale (preferably when Elsweyr goes on sale for a discounted price).

Best of luck and you have my sincerest apologies. Steam bugs are the worst.
    Edited by FleetwoodSmack on May 20, 2019 11:18AM
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • Raevyness
    Raevyness
    ✭✭✭

Now there may be a silver lining, but as far as I know, it's strictly anecdotal. I never had to do it because I bought my version through Steam pre-November 2016. Anyway, some have been reporting that they were able to remove the Steam credential login by buying the standard version of a chapter being that it overrides your Steam key somehow. Either the person you're replying to had done this method sometime in the past (probably with Summerset or Elsweyr) or they're mistaken on when they created the account (because this is a Steam issue and unless they did either of those things there's no other way unless they didn't buy it on Steam), but there is NO addon that will fix the credential issue. If there was, people would be plastering it all over the place because this is almost a three year issue that people have been begging ZoS to fix and they can't because their hands are tied based on how accounts are created now.

Here's a link with users talking about trying to get out from Steam's rule by using the following (your mileage may vary);
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5586593/#Comment_5586593

I know there's a few more running around, but I haven't slept yet and I'm still waiting for natch potes. I will also say this, I strongly caution with the key thing/take it with a grain of salt and only do it when the game is on sale (preferably when Elsweyr goes on sale for a discounted price).

Best of luck and you have my sincerest apologies. Steam bugs are the worst.

Thanks for the reply! My partner has a ESO account from the ESO store (non-steam copy) and he has on his computer the ZOS launcher (that doesnt require steam and was a downloaded client from the ESO store account page) and I tried to log into my account on his PC (given it has no steam credentials saved anywhere) and it still wouldn't let me login without steam. It seems theres a differentiation between steam and non steam accounts that the server knows not to let people in who have steam accounts after a certain date.

So far, everything I've tried has failed.

I'm so salty right now about this and hate that this is how steam players are punished from buying from steam (not only that but in AU the steam prices are MORE than the ESO store). No incentives to go through steam, only BUGS, MORE MONEY, MORE GLITCHES and MORE LAG.

Frustration doesn't even begin to explain how I feel about this. Wish I knew before sinking all this time and money into it!
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply! My partner has a ESO account from the ESO store (non-steam copy) and he has on his computer the ZOS launcher (that doesnt require steam and was a downloaded client from the ESO store account page) and I tried to log into my account on his PC (given it has no steam credentials saved anywhere) and it still wouldn't let me login without steam. It seems theres a differentiation between steam and non steam accounts that the server knows not to let people in who have steam accounts after a certain date.

So far, everything I've tried has failed.

I'm so salty right now about this and hate that this is how steam players are punished from buying from steam (not only that but in AU the steam prices are MORE than the ESO store). No incentives to go through steam, only BUGS, MORE MONEY, MORE GLITCHES and MORE LAG.

Frustration doesn't even begin to explain how I feel about this. Wish I knew before sinking all this time and money into it!

Yeah, it won't matter what type of client you log in as since it's specifically to do with your account type. Since you bought ESO through Steam, that's the only way you're able to log into the game. There's no getting around it with a purchase post November 2016 without buying a Standard Edition key somewhere. Which is definitely infuriating.

Edited to fix the quotes. Some reason they broke.
    Edited by FleetwoodSmack on May 21, 2019 10:38AM
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!